My Tata Nano Gen-X XT: My Best Buddy, Now Modified

Thread Starter #1
Hello everyone! Y'all know me as either DJ bro or Vipraajesh on my Youtube channel Autotrend TV. Finally I decided to write my first ever ownership review. Many of you know I own an Ertiga and a Nano but the Nano is my favourite and more interesting than the Ertiga. I personally consider “him” a marvel of creation by Indian Engineers with pure emotion. Now let's start the journey, shall we?

October 2016:

I was working at TAFE Access LTD, Coimbatore showroom and was fairly new to the sales field. My first sale was of course a Tata Nano GenX XT Red to my grandparents. They had exchanged their 2010 LX Nano for this new one. I already loved that older version for it's peppiness, frugality and spacious cabin. One long drive on the new one made me fall in love with its drive and ride quality. By the end of October, discussions started in my family to buy a small car for City usage. I had already finalised the Nano GenX manual in my mind but my father, being a traditional “aam admi” had the preconceived notions on Tata cars and it’s service. (We had an Indica V2 petrol earlier. Bought in 2002, Sold in 2013. Though the car was fairly reliable, there were rat issues and adulterated fuel problems and yes, Wasan motors service was below average in Thane.) So he was strongly suggesting Alto without even driving one. Then I asked him the question which ended this discussion; “ Will you fit in the backseat with me in the driver seat?”. Lol.

P_20161110_171723.jpg
P_20161109_175919.jpg

December 2016:

One month flew past and we finalized on the Nano manual, but were confused with colours and waiting period. There was a Persian Rose (pink) readily available but I am a red lover. Unfortunately only the pink one has a black interior, which I prefer over beige. The general manager was kind enough to let me drive the Pink Nano for a whole day (of course with a TCR red plate) and see if it grows over me. I took it home, showed it to my parents. Though I loved the black cabin, I couldn't convince myself being seen driving a bright pink car. So I returned the Pinky and the next day itself brought my parents to the showroom. The booking was done for Gen X manual Red on my mother's name with discount finalised as ₹50,000. So the final price was ₹2.91L on road. (My grandparents were lucky as they got an even better offer of ₹60,000) We initially had planned for a full 100% payment but then decided to go with loan option from Tata Motors Finance as it had very low interest rates. They said the Red had waiting period of around 15-20 days but yes! We were getting a new car!!

January 2017:

With the new year starting well, I was excited with the arrival of a fresh batch of brand new Nanos at my office by the second week. Immediately the down payment was done and loan process completed since there were 2 red Nanos, I selected the one with the better chassis number numerologically. At the final hour I decided that I wanted alloy wheels and so got the approval for that as well included in the discounts. The invoice was done and the car was ours!

Delivery was planned for 19th January, but the car wasn’t registered due to some issues. So we decided to take a “pooja delivery” on that day by taking to the temple to get the pooja done and then return the car. On that day, the formal delivery was taken, Pooja completed at the temple and at my home as well. My grandparents too had brought their Nano and that was the only time I got to see the Red Nano twins together till date. A couple days later, the registration was completed, alloy wheels fitted and that evening I went home, driving my new Red Nano with as big a smile as on his face.

After a few days I got the essential accessories fitted; full lamination mats, neck cushions, Sun control films and most important of all, a Ganesh sticker on the windshield. I also asked the guy to cut some part of the driver seat cushion to make it more ergonomic and comfortable. Number plates, carpet mats and mud flaps were provided for free from the dealer itself. Didn't feel the need to get seat covers as the stock ones felt good. But yes, the horn was meek, Road-runner like, “beep beep!”

P_20170119_110316-min.jpg
P_20170119_120252-min.jpg

March 2017:

February was rather uneventful, with alternate day office drives and the odometer reaching the 1000km mark by the first week of March. My new Nano had his first long/hill drive to Ooty in the third week of March. That is when I got to fully understand the engine’s capability. I know the older LX was so good fun on the hills and curves with its lightweight but this Gen X being around 100kg heavier, I had a few doubts in my head. But surprisingly, even with 4 big fat adults and their luggage on board, my 1300km run Nano made it up quite easily. Of course I had to use the 2nd gear mostly, which wasn't an issue at all. The ride quality was so good and the steering so lovely and light. But yes, the stock JK tyres were noisy and a bit hard. Overall, we had great fun for 2 days and returned happy.

P_20170319_180527-min.jpg
IMG_20170321_225052_533-min.jpg
IMG-20170320-WA0129-min.jpg

August 2017:

April, May, June and July were again quite uneventful with the car approaching 5500kms. It was customary for us to go on a pilgrimage trip in the month of August or September to Kumbakonam and surrounding areas. Wet set off in our Ertiga first, but unexpectedly just after 5 kms from home, the gearbox broke down with the car stuck in 2nd gear due to the gear linkage rod being cut off. So we had to head back home in a cab with all the luggage while our Ertiga was left at ABT service. Next day we got an idea that we could test the long drive capability of the Nano and set off once again with all the luggage stuffed inside. It was still very comfortable though. With all the heavy load and the AC on at full blast, it definitely was a test of patience for me too because I didn't want to overload the engine and limited myself to 70kmph. On the flip side, everyone was comfortable with great AC and much better ride quality. My mom who can't sleep in the backseat of the Ertiga was snoring in the backseat of the Nano! Those 3 days the Nano spent tackling bad roads with ease while keeping us comfortable and happy inside. My father too was happy driving the Nano for sometime. With the heavy load conditions, the economy was just 20.6kmpl which was completely understandable. By the end of this trip, the car had already crossed 6300kms!

October 2017:

A Couple months later me and my college mates went on an unplanned trip to Ooty starting on the 1st of October. We didn't plan the destination or stay point and just went in the North direction with 2 days in hand. Unexpectedly it was one among the best trips I’ve been on. Since Ooty was too boring, we decided to skip that and go further to Masinagudi. Since that too was uninteresting in the day (it’s a reserve forest area where most of the wildlife activity happens at night and it's got STEEEEP inclines on the way) we decided to cross the border and head to Mysore for the night! We reached Mysore while having fun filled chatter all the way and got a hotel room for the night stay. The next day was spent enjoying Mysore and it's popular tourist places before dropping 2 of my friends at the railway station and heading back to Coimbatore with the remaining one friend. We took the short yet dangerous route on the way back through the Dhimbam forests and reached home before midnight with 8170kms on the odo. We were all stunned by the Nano's capabilities to handle all those steep slopes and rough roads with ease while keeping us totally comfortable once again. I am sure the Nano can do it again in a heartbeat.

IMG_20180518_104745-min.jpg
P_20171002_093327_1-min.jpg

Thread Starter #2
August 2018:

Yes, you guessed it. The first half of 2018 was quite alright with just small trips and the Nano cruising past the 10k mark by the second week of March itself.

IMG-20180405-WA0040_3.jpg

In August, we went on an unplanned trip yet again, this time to Kollimalai hills. We had heard about the waterfalls there and set off to explore. It is a very enjoyable destination with great roads and photo-esque backdrops. It was just a one day trip, but was quite fun.

IMG_20180827_180623_052-min.jpg
IMG_20180827_180309_955-min.jpg
IMG_20180827_175530_745-min.jpg
IMG_20180827_175152_268-min.jpg

December 2018:

After the month of September, I switched to CAI Mahindra and was taking care of the sales of XUV500. By mid December, we went on a casual trip to my friend’s village near Palani and went to Top slip after picking him up. The two days were spent in a relaxed manner, exploring local areas near Palani before returning home. 24kmpl was the economy figure for this trip, while crossing the 15,000km mark.

IMG_20181217_222651-min.jpg
IMG_20190101_114249_461-min.jpg

February 2019:

The new year didn't have a good start, but still we managed to do some good trips. The first one was to Valparai for a colleague's wedding. Mine was the only Nano in the gang and impressed everyone. Economy was impressive too, achieving 19.3kmpl on a hill drive!

IMG_20190210_204626-min.jpg

March 2019:

We planned a trip to Tirupati via Tiruvannamalai. But before that I had to replace the left side front tyre as it had completely worn out due to misalignment and imbalance. A new JK tyre costed me around ₹2200 including alignment and balancing.

IMG_20190203_173831-min.jpg

The last year's Tirupati trip was taken care of by the Ertiga but this time I decided to take the Nano. We set off from the office after the day’s duty, filled the tank, picked up my friends on the way at Tirupur and Salem and cruised all the way to Tiruvannamalai. Since we were unable to get any rooms after midnight, we had to sleep in the Nano which wasn't too bad actually, except for the mosquitoes. The next morning we visited the temple, finished Girivalam (going around the temple hill) by afternoon, had the food we had brought and set off to Tirupati, our ultimate destination.

The tank was filled up once again on the way and we reached Tirupati by 5:00pm. After tonsuring my head and the long wait, finally we got to worship Balaji and got rooms to stay at night. The next morning we visited Alamelu Mangapuram temple and started towards Coimbatore by afternoon. Around midnight, the Nano was refueled and the economy was calculated as 25kmpl, our highest ever! Since we were quite exhausted, after an hour of driving we decided to park at a Petrol station and get some shut-eye. After 5 hours of sleep, we woke up to find out that we still had around 250kms to go. We finally reached home by noon that day the Nano was given rest for the next 3 days. It was an exhaustive but fun 1200km trip and by the end of it the Nano had crossed 18200kms.

IMG_20190326_123940-min.jpg
IMG_20190326_124015-min.jpg
IMG_20190310_081418-min.jpg
IMG_20190309_224815-min.jpg

May 2019:

With hair just growing on my head after the Tirupati trip, we decided to go to Ooty with my schoolmates. I had just quit my job at MAHINDRA and all I wanted to do was relax. Fun filled 2 days with not much to account for except for a scary experience with a jaywalking pedestrian on the highway at night! I’m still not sure whether it was my driving skills or the Nano's handling that saved him and us at that time. Just like before, the Nano returned an impressive 19kmpl on a hill trip with 4 big adults on board. By the 3rd week of May, he had crossed 20K kms on the odo.

IMG_20190526_145957_257-min.jpg

June 2019:

Did a small trip to Kodumudi with my grandparents. Achieved 19.5kmpl with AC.

Thread Starter #3
July 2019:

To compensate for the lack of a long drive with friends in June, we went to Bangalore in July with my schoolmates. Cruising at 80kmph all day was quite easy and sometimes even touched 90kmph. Efficiency wasn’t that great as a result at 21.5kmpl. Handling Bangalore traffic was okay since it was a weekend. It was on this trip that I got the steering wheel fitted with high quality OE finish Leatherette cover for just ₹1200 at GP road, Bangalore. They had to remove the steering wheel and take it to the workshop. The end product was really good and satisfying.

We returned home the next night. The highlight of this trip is that despite being just a 4 speed car, the Nano can happily cruise all day at decent speed without any fatigue for the people inside. The key to this is the tall and chair like driving position and the really good suspension. I also got a chance to meet our beloved TAI-ger Varun and modified Nano on this trip.

IMG_20190713_213457_900-min.jpg
IMG_20190714_183116-min.jpg
IMG_20190713_153810-min.jpg
IMG_20190713_141021.jpg
IMG_20190714_132257-min.jpg
IMG-20190714-WA0030-min.jpg

A small accident:

After the Bangalore trip, a couple weeks later we visited Valparai for just a day. The roads were great and the weather was awesome. It seemed like a fantastic day. However, while returning in the evening, on the two lane Pollachi - Valparai road I didn't notice the work in progress zone due to the opposite traffic's blinding high beams I hit a big rock on the road at around 50kmph while trying to swerve, resulting in the car taking off and landing a couple yards away. The worse thing is that instead of placing proper reflective warning boards on a busy road, the morons had placed boulders. I tried to move the car back on to the road to check the damaged and immediately sensed something catastrophically wrong with the front left wheel. The alloy was bent and the running board had taken a couple deep scrapes. Even after swapping the spare wheel, the wheel alignment was totally off and we literally had to crawl all the way back home for almost 70kms.

IMG_20190719_181817-min-1.jpg
IMG_20190720_123846-min.jpg
IMG_20190720_123938-min.jpg

The next day I took the Nano to the trusted TAFE service and after an inspection, my advisor said that it wasn't major with only the lower arm being bent slightly. He assured that can be made straight easily without any parts replacement. However the bent alloy couldn’t be repaired and as a result I decided to get back to Steel wheels. Fortunately I still had 3 original Steel rims with me since when I bought the car. I couldn't find the 4th one though. So I asked them to get me one new Steel rim and replace the alloy wheels.

The next day my Nano was ready with fresh looking Steel rims and as good as new. However while the alignment was fine, the steering wasn’t actually lined up perfectly straight. No matter how many times I tried to rectify this, there is still a few mm of tilt to the steering wheel till date. Apart from that, the Nano drives as good as new. Touch wood!

IMG_20190831_153846-min.jpg

September 2019:

I decided to stay safer since the debacle and August went unnoticed with the car consistently giving 20-21kmpl mileage in the city without AC. The next month however, we planned another trip to Bangalore. Started by evening 6 pm after my office duty, picked up the friends on the way and we were off. Efficiency was calculated at 21.7kmpl when the Nano was tanked up at Salem. Reached Bangalore by 3am. Later after a couple hours of sleep we left for Coorg in a friend's Fiesta, leaving the Nano to rest. But I'm sure the Nano would have crossed the slush and taken us to Mandalpatti if we had taken him along. The Fiesta's low GC was a problem and we couldn't explore Coorg upto the fullest. After a night stay there, we returned to Bangalore the next night. Instead of taking rest we immediately started the Nano and started towards Coimbatore at 10:30 pm! I drove all night with just a couple stops and reached home by 6 am! We had tanked up again on the way and efficiency was a rewarding figure at 24kmpl!

IMG_20190921_023712-min.jpg

December 2019:

We went on two unexpected trips in December. The first one was to Madurai via Palani. It was a heart warming temple trip and we returned the next night with an efficiency figure of 22.5kmpl.

PicsArt_12-06-04.02.04-min.jpg

The second one was a biggie (atleast for me). Me, my friend and his uncle suddenly decided to go to Sabarimala. So we finished all the auspicious rituals, finished dinner and started towards Dharapuram, our first stay point. This was the longer route at 317kms and passes through Theni, Cumbum and Kumily ghats before crossing over to Kerala. Next day only by evening we set off to the temple after finishing the rituals and reached Erumeli by morning 3:20am. After the rituals there, we had to face the bumper to bumper traffic on the way to the parking at Nilakkal. Imagine Bangalore like traffic, only while going uphill. Many cars had their clutches cooked, but the Nano was still going strong with full load. Finally we got parked by 5:30 and left by bus to Pampa.

After a tiring day at the temple, we were literally exhausted and decided to do spend the night at one of the free shelters at Pampa. So after a good night's rest, we reached the Nano by 7:00am and started homeward immediately. The return drive was so good with curves and scenic views. After dropping my passengers at their homes, I reached home by 10:30pm. Surprisingly, the drive wasn’t tiring at all. Driving the Nano is so comfortable in any situation. That was a 920km total trip in 3 days. The icing on the cake is that, even after some good hill driving with full load, the Nano delivered 21.7kmpl! I bet you no other car can do that!

PicsArt_12-24-05.06.20-min.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
March 2020:

Enter 2020 and everything seemed bright. In January I went to Udupi with the family in our Ertiga while the Nano was resting at home for 4 days with around 28000kms on the odo. In February I visited Delhi for 5 days and after returning I had a small accident with a bus trying to squeeze me on the center median, resulting in the breakage of the left ORVM and the quarter glass. Fixing that costed me ₹2600 at TAFE. Only in the month of March the Nano got an opportunity to get out of town for a trip to Udumalpet on the occasion of a friend’s engagement. Since I had a lot of free time I started planning on the mods. I bought a red Nano scale model and worked on the body decals. I was always fascinated by the Megapixel concept by Tata motors and wondered how the Pelican (1L engine equipped Nano which was under testing) would have looked like if it had been launched. Since the Gen X design was already 70% based on the Megapixel concept, I decided to complete the look.

Webp.net-compress-image.jpg
PicsArt_03-09-12.16.49-min(1).jpg
IMG_20200126_120052-min.jpg
IMG_20200126_120319-min.jpg
IMG_20200127_194442.jpg
IMG_20200127_194402.jpg

I previously had tried doing Photoshop renderings which looked rather good and made me seriously think of implementing this project. However since there was a lot on my mind, I started planning in a phased manner.

Phase 1:

• 90/100 Osram headlamp bulbs
• VW type trumpet horn (Hella)
• White LED cabin light
• Seat covers with improved driver seat comfort
• Interior ambient red lighting.

I thought I'd start with the essentials first. My Nano had completed 3 years and almost 30,000kms without any sort of modifications. So I decided to give the interior a major makeover. After some research I got to know about Nano zone, a rather modest car modification shop near Lakshmi Mills in Coimbatore. The owner, Mr Faqih too is an ex TAFE employee and was an expert in Nano modifications, they said. So after enquiring details, I first got the horn and headlamps done. He suggested Osram 90/100 H4 bulbs and Hella trumpet (VW type) horn. Both were fitted with separate relays and the work was done by his boys upto good perfection. So after a few days, I left the car with him for 2 days to get the seat covers and ambient lighting done. I had thought of a custom design for the seat cover keeping in mind the interior theme colours and asked him to get it done. As the driver seat was not providing enough support for my long thighs, I thought of extending the seat base as well. He said it can be easily done and yes indeed! Everything was done to superb perfection and the workmanship was great. Some extra foam had to be designed to extend the base, that's all. All this was done for just around ₹8750. (probably an exclusive discount for me) Till date the seat is very comfortable and can keep me fatigue free on any long drive.

IMG-20200305-WA0028-min.jpg
IMG_20200306_170633-min.jpg
IMG_20200306_170502-min.jpg
IMG_20200702_184206-min.jpg

IMG_20200424_184702-min.jpg

Satisfied with the work, I started planning the next major works.

I have detailed the first phase of modifications in my Nano’s second 30,000km update review on my Youtube channel.

Phase 2:

As I was already planning for the Megapixel mods since the start of this year, I came across few Nano images in Sri Lanka, which were running on 13” alloys from the Renault Kwid.

FB_IMG_1541954759453-min.jpg

So I too decided to get it done. However since I didn't have the budget for alloys, I was trying to source some used Steel rims of the Kwid. Sadly, no luck. I tried asking the service centers but they too didn't have 5 rims. At that time in February, our beloved TAI-ger Mr Boss helped me out in sourcing 5 Steel rims in Chennai. I thought we would be visiting Chennai soon and will get the wheel and tyre change done there itself. I had asked my cousin to take delivery of the wheels and keep with them according to the plan. (Her family owns a CEAT tyre dealership).

IMG-20200228-WA0017-min.jpg

Then came the Covid situation and lockdown. Since March 21’st we couldn't move anywhere out of our area and the Nano was forced to take rest for a whole 2 months. Only by 21st of May we were allowed to go out and within no time came June.

Attachments

Thread Starter #5
June 2020:

In the month of June, the Nano was due for his first paid service after 3 and a half years. Got it done neatly by the second week of June and just as before the service work was satisfactory, if not exceptional. Cost ₹4001 though. During this time I had ordered a rear fog lamp assembly unit for my Nano on boodmo. All GenX Nanos have this empty slot on the rear bumper which would perfectly fit the OEM rear fog lamp offered on the Zest, Nexon, Altroz and even the original Nano LX. It costed me just around ₹500 was a perfect fit in that slot. I asked the Nano Zone guys to make it work in tandem with the brake lights. Till date it works perfectly.

IMG_20200616_120228-min.jpg
IMG_20200616_162350-min.jpg
IMG_20200616_190554-min.jpg

Upgrading wheels:

Since it was becoming impossible to travel to Chennai at that time, I asked my cousin to send me the wheels via parcel service. The wheels were received on 22nd June by paying a transport charge of ₹500. Meanwhile I had enquired about the cheap and best tire brands for 13 inch wheels, shortlisting CEAT and Firestone. Firestone seemed the cheapest at ₹2600 per tire whereas a CEAT would cost ₹2750. After considering the fact that Firestone indeed was owned by Bridgestone and is the OEM tire offered on the Jeep compass, I decided to go ahead with it. However after couple days when I went to get the new wheels fitted, Firestone was out of stock. I had to go ahead with CEAT, with a bargain of ₹2700 per tire.

The larger wheels and 155/65 R13 tires were a perfect fit on the hubs. However I had to remove the front mud flaps as they were rubbing on the tires every time I turned the wheel. Since there were only 4 tires in stock, I had to return a couple days later for the spare tire. Every Nano owner, including the Nano Zone shop owner warned me that the 13” tire wound never fit in the small bonnet of the Nano. However it was an easy cakewalk. The new spare tire was fitted to the new wheel and in no time was inside the bonnet of the Nano. The old tires were almost worn out and were given as exchange for ₹700 only.

IMG-20200303-WA0017-min(1).jpg
IMG_20200627_163133-min.jpg
IMG_20200627_163201-min.jpg
IMG_20200629_134909-min.jpg

Fitting these larger wheels drastically improved the feel of the Nano. Here are the observations after a few days running:

• Road noise is non existent
• Ground clearance increased by 15mm approx
• Grip is excellent
• Braking feel improved, although needs slightly more effort.
• Ride quality significantly improved
• Feels confident at higher speeds

On the flip side, there were a few down points:

• Increased body roll
• Front mud flaps can't be fitted
• Fuel economy reduced by approx 0.2kmpl
• Speedo error of -3kmph
Overall, I was happy with the modification and so was my mother. I sold and couriered the stock 12” rims and wheel covers to another Nano owner in Bangalore for ₹3550 including shipping. (The courier service idea was a mistake as the transport charge itself was 70% of the total cost of the wheels) The next thing the Nano needed was good looking wheel covers. However I wasn’t able to find the right design suitable for my future modifications.

I asked the Nano Zone owner to help get the right design. One of the available designs from PRIGAN seemed to impress me. Though it was a plain design, it seemed ideal for the re-design I had in mind. So I started working on a custom design based on the plain one.

IMG_20200627_170404-min.jpg

This was the custom redesign I had rendered.

PicsArt_06-28-09.24.00-min.jpg
PicsArt_06-28-10.00.02-min.jpg

Since repainting was not a good idea on the plastic surface as suggested by Mr Faqih, I asked him to do it using stickers. Gloss black and red reflectors were used to create this design and after couple days, on the 1st of July I got them ready my Nano was ready to cruise.

IMG_20200701_172517-min.jpg
IMG_20200731_151828_518-min(1).jpg
IMG_20200719_120911_966-min.jpg

These custom wheel covers cost me ₹1000. Impressive? Let me know.

I also got the Probus mobile holder for ₹650 from Amazon and did some DIY to get that stuck on the steering column panel. It doesn't hamper road visibility and also works like a jugaad version of the Digital cluster navigation screens seen on premium cars.

FB_IMG_1602517210414-min.jpg

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
That's a very nice and passionate review you have posted.Clearly you are very emotional about this car.Thanks for sharing your Nano with us. The colour is very beautiful.
During your ownership did you do any DIY(not the accessories and polish related), in the engine bay,like changing oils and filters and coolant etc,or maybe cleaning the spark plugs or something like that? .If yes please post the pics.That will be very interesting.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
Phase 3:

July passed quickly with the Nano receiving a thorough wash on my birthday. Meanwhile I was planning on a few exterior modifications:

• LED DRLs with 3 way switch
• Black roof and door sills
• Megapixel front makeover
• Dashboard leather wrap
• Flip key

I don't prefer overtly flashy modifications, however I wanted to have unique looking LEDs.

With black roofs being the trend, I wanted to get that done as well along with black on the running board door sills.

I was never a big fan of the thin French moustache of the stock Gen X, so decided to give it a larger, grille-like cohesive look as seen on the Megapixel concept.

A Nano club member had wrapped the gloveboxes in tan leather. I loved the idea and wanted to get something done on my Nano, but in line with the interior colour theme. I decided to get red and black again.

I still had the stock key with the separate central locking buttons dangling on the rings. I wanted the keys to match the modifications carried out. So decided to get flip keys similar to other Tata cars.

August 2020:

With my friend’s marriage nearing, I wanted to get all these things done ASAP. On 10th August I decided to get the LEDs done. Initially I had planned the LEDs in the lines of the Nano Europa concept, but that seemed too simple. So after a lot of head scratching, based on the suggestion of Mr Faqih Bhai, I finalised on this Feline-eye design. Nano Zone has some good quality options of flexible LED DRLs and the Cyan Blue seemed very cool and unique to me. So finalised on that.

I wanted these LEDs and the ambient red lighting to be connected to a 3 way switch:

1.The first point will keep them always ON irrespective of locking the car.

2. The second point is the total OFF position.

3. The third point is connected to the Nano's central locking and doors and they work like follow me lights. Unlocking the car/opening the door turns them on and locking the car/starting the engine turns them off. Since they are connected to the interior cabin lamp, they too have a theatre dimming function which look absolutely cool! I loved it!

The work quality and fitment was genuine and the end result was simply WOW! No matter where we go, they make a statement and turn heads. Here are some glimpses:

IMG_20200810_200531-min.jpg
IMG_20200813_210925-min.jpg

The next thing in line was the black detailing. I left the car with them the whole day of 13th August and took delivery in the evening. The work was again impressive and the Nano started to look more mature and sporty.

IMG-20200823-WA0035-min.jpg

IMG_20200814_143833-01-min.jpeg
IMG_20200814_144218-01-min.jpeg
Webp.net-compress-image-1.jpg

The gloveboxes and the speakers had to be removed from the dashboard to get the wrapping done. Since it was a first time job for them, they needed enough time to get it done upto satisfaction. So had to drive without music and storage boxes for 2 days. The final day when the boxes were ready, I decided to get the flip keys done. Left the car with them on 20th morning and got the keys done by evening. Since the gloveboxes and flip key needed a bit more time, I got them done the next day afternoon. Though, there is a bit of misalignment with the stitching line of the wrap and the gloveboxes take a bit more effort than before to open and close, the overall look is very premium and modern. Additionally I also got noodle mats for the floor. Take a look:

IMG_20200906_104937_661-min.jpg

All this cost me a total ₹7700 which is quite an impressive bargain.

After getting all these done, I made a teaser video of my Nano Megapixel edition for my channel and followers with the help of my friends. Though not upto professional quality levels, it should be alright and cool.

Attachments

Thread Starter #8
Wedding trip:

The friend’s wedding was on 31st of August in Palani. So we decided to go on 29th itself since 30th was Sunday. Picked up another friend from the airport and off we went to Dharapuram, our first stay point. The Nano had already crossed 32,000kms and this was his first proper long drive on the new, bigger shoes. The next morning we went out early for a photoshoot and here are some eye candies:

IMG_20200830_065132_515-min.jpg
IMG_20200830_064918_894-min.jpg
IMG_20200830_065742_249-min.jpg
IMG_20200830_082055_242-min(1).jpg
IMG_20200830_061235-min(1).jpg
IMG_20200830_133045-min.jpg
IMG_20200902_214901_876-min(1).jpg

IMG_20200831_201840_939-min.jpg

By afternoon we reached the groom's house and we used back roads since it was a Sunday lockdown and cops would be all over the main roads. The handling felt so confident and the car, very planted. The Nano was used for some odd jobs during this period and was the preferred ride of the newly wed couple. After the wedding and temple visit in the afternoon, we had to take the couple to the bride's home in Dindigul. Dropped them off by 3:10pm and started the homeward dash as my other friend had a plane to catch at 6:10pm. I had to deploy my aggressive driving style as a result and we did 130km in 2.5 hours! Bear in mind that I never crossed 95kmph though. Sadly the boarding time was over when we reached the airport by 5:45pm. Lol! Nonetheless, the Nano once again proved that he is as good as any other car and better in some areas as well. During this dash I was literally being reckless; overtaking even a few BMWs which were being driven rather carefully. These news shoes were giving me the confidence with the road noise reduced to nil. Mileage too was decent at 20.5kmpl for this mad dash.

IMG_20200830_134120-min.jpg

September 2020:

Since we had completed more than 2000kms on the new tyres, I thought it's best to get the free alignment check done. So got that done on the 5th and couple days later, the Nano reached 33,000kms.

By the second week of September, I decided to finish the mods and left my Nano at Nano Zone. I had to be with them to direct them with the cutting and shaping since it was not an easy design to begin with. The badges on the boot were removed and the work was started. After 2 days of work with black and silver stickers, the Megapixel edition was ready. The Nano Zone guys were kind enough to do a full body wash before polishing and handing over the key to me.

All these mods cost me ₹36,250 starting with the headlamps, horn and completing with the body stickering.

Since it was already night time I decided to do a photoshoot the next day, however all my plans were ruined by the rains. Within couple days, the Nano became dirty and I postponed the shoot indefinitely until the rains stopped. Despite the rains, I did a quick photoshoot and here are a few photos for y'all.

IMG_20201015_150907_648-min.jpg

IMG_20200918_184605-min.jpg
IMG_20200919_181400-min.jpg
IMG_20200919_181525-01-min.jpeg
IMG_20200919_121129-min.jpg
PicsArt_10-18-12.48.47-min.jpg
Screenshot_20201011-193141-01-min.jpeg
IMG_20201006_121811-min.jpg
Screenshot_20201011-192744-min.jpg
IMG_20200919_125626-min.jpg

Here's the "Angry Bulbasaur" face

Screenshot_20201023-200330.jpg

October 2020:

I grew impatient with the rains and finally got a complete wash, wipe and wax coating done at the Moto38 Car & Bike care for ₹999 near my home. Finally by the second week after a long wait for the rains to take a break, I got a good opportunity when the weather was dry. Completed the video shoot by evening and the editing was finished in a week's time.

Here is the detailed video on my “Tata Nano Megapixel edition”. I have covered all accessory details and drive feedback with the new 13” wheels:

As of today, my Nano has run around 33,700km and still going strong. Regarding service and repairs, I have spent just around ₹6800 till date and hope the maintenance costs stay that way for years to come.

I am loving my Nano and living the Nano life, the Megapixel way!

Thread Starter #9
That's a very nice and passionate review you have posted.Clearly you are very emotional about this car.Thanks for sharing your Nano with us. The colour is very beautiful.
During your ownership did you do any DIY(not the accessories and polish related), in the engine bay,like changing oils and filters and coolant etc,or maybe cleaning the spark plugs or something like that? .If yes please post the pics.That will be very interesting.
Thanks. Nope I didn't do any of the maintenance stuff myself. Everything was done at service center

Such a nice passion for Tata Nano. I have two Nano one is 2012 and other one XTA 2016. Automatic Nano is simply superb. I have one issue with XTA could you please help me. When I was checking alignment I noticed that AC drain hose in draining water on chassis thus resulting in rust. When I asked tafe and srt they both say it is like this for all Nano. I attach some pictures in this post , if you could please check whether your Nano also has AC drain hose like mine. This problem mess with me too much for months now because I love my Nano too much. I will be really grateful if you could help me.

Attachments

Thread Starter #11
October 2020:
Finally got the perfect centre armrest for my Nano. Makes it a very comfy cruiser. Had to do a bit of cutting to get it fitted properly behind the handbrake lever though. The look of the cabin has transformed completely and there is also a decent felt lined storage inside!
However, putting on the seatbelts have become a bit difficult. Love the comfort though. I'm all smiles![:D]
Thanks to Nano Zone again. This armrest costs ₹1800 though.
IMG_20201029_220523_095.jpg
IMG_20201028_160314-min.jpg
IMG_20201028_160320-min.jpg
IMG_20201028_131716-min.jpg

Thread Starter #12
Such a nice passion for Tata Nano. I have two Nano one is 2012 and other one XTA 2016. Automatic Nano is simply superb. I have one issue with XTA could you please help me. When I was checking alignment I noticed that AC drain hose in draining water on chassis thus resulting in rust. When I asked tafe and srt they both say it is like this for all Nano. I attach some pictures in this post , if you could please check whether your Nano also has AC drain hose like mine. This problem mess with me too much for months now because I love my Nano too much. I will be really grateful if you could help me.
Sir I am yet to check this. Glad you pointed out. I feel that it could be simply surface rust as most cars have it like this only. They might have galvanized that specific area more for this purpose. However, let me check with my references.

Sir I am yet to check this. Glad you pointed out. I feel that it could be simply surface rust as most cars have it like this only. They might have galvanized that specific area more for this purpose. However, let me check with my references.
Your help will be much appreciated.

Wow, Vipraajesh that's a very detailed and heartfelt review with good details. Thanks for sharing with us. Your review made my boring day cheerful. Even, I was looking for Nano since last 3 months; and in Bangalore costs are too high even for 2015 model. I loved all modifications on your car. Your passion and kindred spirit for your Nano shows on this thread and you have done tasteful mods. Some of these photos are wall paper material believe me. I saw your nano in Youtube and after a week or so I am reading review. Imagine I am pleasantly surprised, Pls do ping me when you are in Bangalore would definitely catch up and see your vehicle in person.

Thread Starter #15
Wow, Vipraajesh that's a very detailed and heartfelt review with good details. Thanks for sharing with us. Your review made my boring day cheerful. Even, I was looking for Nano since last 3 months; and in Bangalore costs are too high even for 2015 model. I loved all modifications on your car. Your passion and kindred spirit for your Nano shows on this thread and you have done tasteful mods. Some of these photos are wall paper material believe me. I saw your nano in Youtube and after a week or so I am reading review. Imagine I am pleasantly surprised, Pls do ping me when you are in Bangalore would definitely catch up and see your vehicle in person.
Glad you liked both, my documentary and the video. Yes, demand for the Nano is rising like crazy and you'll have to spend more than 1.5L for a well maintained one.
Sure I will be traveling to Bangalore sometime later. Will meet up.
Thanks for all your kind, encouraging words.

Top Bottom