My Precious Blue Diamond: Tata Nexon XZA+ AMT D

Thread Starter #212
From the past one month, I have been observing loss of a few psi pressure in the front left tyre. Today, I checked the tyre pressures. All the three tyres recorded 32 psi. The front left recorded 27 psi, indicating a loss of 5 psi/month. So, inflated the tyre and took it to the nearby puncture repair shop. He checked and found no punctures. Then, I told him to check the wall tube pin. He checked and found that it was worn out at the tip. So, he replaced it with a new one and inflated the tyre. Paid ₹ 50 and returned home. Now, I have to continue to monitor it for a few weeks.
The menace of loss of 5 psi/month in the front left tyre continued, when the other 3 maintained the correct pressure. So, took it to the puncture repair guy and insisted on checking it with soap water test. He did that and insisted no puncture. He again replaced the wall tube pin. When I asked him to try once more, he repeated the soap water test after inflating the tyre more. We located one puncture. He extracted a small nail deeply embedded inside the tyre. He repaired the puncture. To our dismay, he located one more tiny puncture, this time without any embedded nail. He repaired that too. I paid ₹ 300 and returned home. Now, Blue Diamond is still on observation. I suspect that these two punctures happened during our recent Ladakh trip itself. The final toll is 4 punctures in that Ladakh drive, which is a record-breaking for me and my cars! [sad] I did a to and fro drive between Bangalore and Chennai with those 2 punctures! [shock]

Thread Starter #213
Bangalore>Chennai . Non-Stop Night Driving . 363 km . 22.6 kmpl . 5 hours . 73 kmph .

Did another non-stop night driving after a long time. Left Bangalore Basaveswara Nagar home at 11:05 pm yesterday and arrived Chennai Royapettah home at 4:08 am today. Blue Di's FASTag had problem-free pass-throughs. All the toll plazas were free of congestion. I really enjoyed the drive after very long time.
clap.gif
smile.gif

toll1922020.jpg 19022020.jpg

Thread Starter #214
Got frustrated today morning itself when I saw a flat rear left tyre of Blue Diamond. That was the fifth puncture on the fourth tyre in 28,375 km within two years. Only one tyre - the front right, previously and presently the stepney - remained free from punctures. The first four punctures were due to my Sach Pass and Ladakh drive. We were to go to a function in our car. I cancelled the car and rode to the venue in my Thunderbird 500 instead. After returning from the function, I decided to replace the four tyres with Michelin as I don't want to drive with 4 punctured and repaired tyres; so rode to Lal Enterprises near my Chennai home and got a quote for 4 new Michelin Primacy 4 ST tyres for Blue Di. Mr Navratan, the owner, quoted ₹ 8,800 each for 4 inclusive of GST plus alignment and wheel balancing. When I explained the present status of Blue Di, he sent 3 people in his auto rickshaw with tools. They changed the flat wheel with the stepney and took the car to their showroom. Later, I walked there, paid for the tyres and services [₹ 36,970 totally] and drove the car back home. Apart from the tyres, valves were replaced too. The OE Good Year Excellence tyres were the worst, when it comes to puncture-resistance. Never did I replace my car's tyres within 30 k km. Anyway, now I feel mentally relieved.
DSC00913.JPG DSC00915.JPG DSC00917.JPG DSC00919.JPG DSC00922.JPG DSC00923.JPG

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Very nice looking tyre! And pricey too. I do believe this will be cosy and more silent on the road with better grip levels.
What other tyre brands/options did you (215/60 R16 spec) check before taking the final decision?

Thread Starter #216
What other tyre brands/options did you (215/60 R16 spec) check before taking the final decision?
Apollo and Bridgestone. But, I preferred Michelin. During my XUV 500 ownership, I replaced the OE JK Elanzo NXT tyres with Michelin Latitude Sport 3 at 54 k km. I liked the Michelin tyres' performance. So,I decided to go for the same brand this time too. Anyway, I will drive Chennai>Bangalore in another few days and give my review after that.

Got frustrated today morning itself when I saw a flat rear left tyre of Blue Diamond. That was the fifth puncture on the fourth tyre in 28,375 km within two years. Only one tyre - the front right, previously and presently the stepney - remained free from punctures. The first four punctures were due to my Sach Pass and Ladakh drive. We were to go to a function in our car. I cancelled the car and rode to the venue in my Thunderbird 500 instead. After returning from the function, I decided to replace the four tyres with Michelin as I don't want to drive with 4 punctured and repaired tyres; so rode to Lal Enterprises near my Chennai home and got a quote for 4 new Michelin Primacy 4 ST tyres for Blue Di. Mr Navratan, the owner, quoted ₹ 8,800 each for 4 inclusive of GST plus alignment and wheel balancing. When I explained the present status of Blue Di, he sent 3 people in his auto rickshaw with tools. They changed the flat wheel with the stepney and took the car to their showroom. Later, I walked there, paid for the tyres and services [₹ 36,970 totally] and drove the car back home. Apart from the tyres, valves were replaced too. The OE Good Year Excellence tyres were the worst, when it comes to puncture-resistance. Never did I replace my car's tyres within 30 k km. Anyway, now I feel mentally relieved.
View attachment 271774 View attachment 271776 View attachment 271779 View attachment 271781 View attachment 271783 View attachment 271784
Too bad you ran out of the tyres so prematurely..bit it's peace of mind to ride on puncture free tyres especially when at high speed. Which valve stems did you get installed ?

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Too bad you ran out of the tyres so prematurely..bit it's peace of mind to ride on puncture free tyres especially when at high speed. Which valve stems did you get installed ?
I totally agree on this statement. But I would like to ask and add on his question ,sir why was valve stem changed.They were new and OEM ! And punctures don't affect them.

Thread Starter #219
Which valve stems did you get installed ?
No idea. The owner informed me that all the 4 valve stems were replaced along with the new tyres.
They were new and OEM ! And punctures don't affect them.
I asked him to check the pins of the valves as the puncture repairer in Bangalore changed the pins twice to stop minor air leak., but eventually, it turned out to be two micro punctures, which he repaired. The owner mentioned that he would replace all the valve stems too along with the new tyres as his usual practice; so, I need not worry.

its better that you got the whole thing changed ..the rubber seal of the valve stem can deteriorate with time and cause air leaks at the seal.Good practice by the tyre shop as well!

Thread Starter #221
Fifth [Paid] Service @ TAFE Access, Greams Road, Chennai . 28,379 km . ₹ 7,968

Since Blue Diamond drove for 15 k km after the last oil change, I took her to TAFE Access, Greams Road, Chennai for the fifth [paid] service. Left the car at 9:30 am yesterday [04/03/2020] and collected it at 6 pm. The bill amount was ₹ 7,968. I was told that the rear right wheel bearing - which was making some sound - will be changed under warranty after getting the part from Tata Motors, Pune by next week.
DSC00924.JPG

Thread Starter #222
RR Wheel Bearing Replaced Under Warranty

I was told that the rear right wheel bearing - which was making some sound - will be changed under warranty after getting the part from Tata Motors, Pune by next week.
Blue Diamond visited TAFE Access, Greams Road, Chennai today at 9 am and got its rear right wheel bearing replaced under warranty. Paid ₹ 60 for the lock nut and got back the car at 12 noon and came home in time for lunch.
clap.gif
smile.gif

IMG20200309132522.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #224
Chennai>Bangalore . Non-Stop Night Drive . 355 km . 19.1 kmpl . 5 Hours 15 Minutes

Did Chennai>Bangalore non-stop night drive yesterday and today. Left Chennai Royapettah at 11:30 pm last night and reached Bangalore Basaveswara Nagar at 4:45 am today. Home-to-home drive took 5 hours and 15 minutes. Enjoyed the driving - both psychologically and literally - on the new Michelin Primacy 4 ST tyres and post oil replacement service. I felt the car more planted in high speeds with the new tyres compared to the old OE Good Year. Braking was also more precise. Ride quality was also far superior than the old ones. Passing through the toll plazas was very easy and quick.
MID12032020.jpg
12032020.jpg

Thread Starter #225
After my yesterday's Chennai>Bangalore drive, I noticed a strange behaviour by Blue Diamond. For the first time, Blue Di showed the distance between my Chennai and Bangalore homes as 354.8 km on the trip-meter. Earlier, it used to show the distances above 361 km. Here, I have compared the past drives, Chennai>Bangalore only via the same route and not vice versa. NaviMaps also shows 354 km and Google Maps, 356 km for the same origin and destination via the same route that I take. Now, Blue Di's trip-meter matches with NaviMaps, Google Maps and my previous XUV 500 within 2 km range. One reason for this change that comes to my mind immediately is the tyre change. Perhaps, the new Michelin Primacy 4 ST tyres are slightly larger than their predecessor, Good Year Excellence, although the specification is the same 215/60 R16. Even a few mm extra could account for this change in the distance due to less revolution of the wheel. There was no software updating done during the recent fifth [paid] service. I will be keenly watching the trip-meter readings from now to confirm my hunch.
1.jpg
Screenshot_2020-03-13-13-59-31-11_b29e0db0f8d985b12f41ed5794fd0163.png
2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg

Top Bottom