My Pre-Owned Tata Safari 3.0 - Ownership Review

bhvm

Honoured Member
Get the Vehicle scanned at TASS.
Its generally ECU error some sensor that got stuck.

3.0s were generally heavy smokers under sudden acceleration.

Thread Starter #332
Sorry guys, no updates from my side for a long time.

Still enjoying drives with my Safari, recently had been to Shegaon (Maharashtra), around 450+ km. from Pune. Was back within a day, and as usual, no issues whatsoever.

Check engine light continues to glow (EGR valve issue) but had no problems for more than 50k km. now :)

The rains have started and it still get wets under the mats, it's a mystery for years. Going to try changing door beading sometime.

Will post a few snaps soon.

Sorry guys, no updates from my side for a long time.

Still enjoying drives with my Safari, recently had been to Shegaon (Maharashtra), around 450+ km. from Pune. Was back within a day, and as usual, no issues whatsoever.

Check engine light continues to glow (EGR valve issue) but had no problems for more than 50k km. now :)

The rains have started and it still get wets under the mats, it's a mystery for years. Going to try changing door beading sometime.

Will post a few snaps soon.
Good to see beast working properly

Did you check plastic below windshield usually that major culprit

Thread Starter #334
Yes, did check that a couple of years back. Had opened up almost everything, tried putting m-seal at a few places, but no luck yet.

Hi guys, my safari's 1st breakdown in 7 yrs and 3,02,721 kms. I was on da way to Salem near krishnagiri hear a sound from left side wheel. While checking I noticed grease melted flown out called KHT motors Bangalore they said this happens when wheel outer bearing is gone and gave me address of nearest TATA authorised service centre and called them to fix my safari ASAP thanks to KHT MOTORS, I am still waiting in service centre.

Thread Starter #336
Hi guys, my safari's 1st breakdown in 7 yrs and 3,02,721 kms. I was on da way to Salem near krishnagiri hear a sound from left side wheel. While checking I noticed grease melted flown out called KHT motors Bangalore they said this happens when wheel outer bearing is gone and gave me address of nearest TATA authorised service centre and called them to fix my safari ASAP thanks to KHT MOTORS, I am still waiting in service centre.
3 lac km., that's great!!

Hello everyone, few months back I purchased Safari Dicor 3.0 (2007) dirt cheap, the only issue was that it was maintained badly by NRI and above all it was stand still for 3+ years.
After my purchase we started servicing it by one of local X Tata technician in Chandigarh and took almost 4 months to road worthy. Engine is in perfect condition now after Head gasket change, Injector, FIP and Turbo overhaul apart from regular service including filters and oil etc. Now when we took the beast to cruse on expressway, we find that the max speed stuck to 100 on speedo. Want to add the fact that we replaced the Speedo with 2.2 2009 model. However the RPM touches 4000 mark in neutral. The technician concluded that this could be the issue with either ECM, Speed censor or Software. Another issue is with vibrations which starts when car reaches 55 and stay till 65 and after that minor vibes.
Safari GURUs, pls guide me if the issue is related with ECU or the censors . My believe is that the issue is reated with non standard Speedo.
We have also changed suspension bushes, center rod and shockers earlier.

Did you try checking the speed with GPS on phone? There are many apps which can provide the speed. This will conclude if this is faulty speedo or some other issue. The calibration of the speedo may be an issue here since you are using 2.2 one on 3.0 .

Conducted the speed test using GPS on phone and find the error of 10%+.
When the car was on 90, the GPS was showing the speed of 102 and on 100, the GPS was showing 115. Clearly seems to be the issue with Speedo.
I am frustrated with fuel consumption now, the car is giving 5-6 KMPL. Injectors are working excellent and no issue seem so far. But one mechanic told me that the issue could be because of tappet settings as the Head gasket was changed last month. Safari gurus, please through some light on this issue.

5 kmpl ? I hope nothing is serious.

Need to diagonose at service center / garage , only they have the answer

Meanwhile
Trial and error method you can try

Good pure quality fuel from company owned bunk

Rev it hard at 4000rpm for 30 seconds ( to clear the flown of exhaust if any obstruction )

New fuel filter
New Air filter

Mobil devlac synthetic engine oil

Check catalytic convertor

Last edited:
Fuel, Oil and Air filters are brand new, and so the engine oil (Shell... not synthetic). Catalytic Convertor was chocked earlier, however, cleared by mechanic earlier. For me, the issue either related to right Tappet Setting or EGR non functional.
The engine was scanned by Tata and no issue so far.

Thread Starter #342
Since a last couple of weeks when I start the vehicle the RPM gauge is non-functional and even the battery is not charged. I have to step on accelerator real hard for a few seconds (in neutral) and suddenly the RPM gauge starts working and even the battery charging starts. Any hints about what I need to check. For a note, I don't see red-battery sign indicating that the battery is not being charged.

Once in a while it's all good when I start the vehicle and this is really confusing. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi everyone, pls help me my tata safari dicore 3.0 when we start the engine no response to the acceleration I need to put first gear and jerk then accelerator work normal or I need to restart the car I don’t know what problem
Car is 2006 model dicore 3.0, meter reds is 106500kilometers

Thread Starter #345
notice any wires that are broken or chewed by rats etc? appears like charge controller is not working well.
Got it working after cleaning battery terminals. A lot of carbon was deposited on them. Looking good for the moment, let's see how it goes for a next couple of weeks.

Top Bottom