My Pre-Owned Tata Safari 3.0 - Ownership Review

The bill was exactly 71K, yet to get the detail receipt as their billing system is down. Will put it here once I get it. Many parts are replaced so I guess I may not have to worry for at least another 4-5 years, or at least 50K km, apart from regular servicing.
Are you really happy with that bill? Please post the bill here, should be helpful in assessing the vehicle condition.

Thread Starter #32
Frankly, even I am somewhat surprised with the bill amount, but cannot make any comment unless I get an itemized bill. Also, I have no idea about the cost of Safari parts.

I wouldn't regret paying that amount if I can really enjoy the hassle-free driving.

Will surely post the bill here once I get it. As mentioned above, their billing system is down hence the bill is not issued to anybody for the moment.

Just want to get that 'Check Engine' light issue sorted out at the earliest. Planning to go to J&K next month with my family, so want to ensure that the vehicle is really in the best of its condition. It would be almost like a 5K km trip in a span of 8-9 days.

Frankly, even I am somewhat surprised with the bill amount, but cannot make any comment unless I get an itemized bill. Also, I have no idea about the cost of Safari parts.

I wouldn't regret paying that amount if I can really enjoy the hassle-free driving.

Will surely post the bill here once I get it. As mentioned above, their billing system is down hence the bill is not issued to anybody for the moment.

Just want to get that 'Check Engine' light issue sorted out at the earliest. Planning to go to J&K next month with my family, so want to ensure that the vehicle is really in the best of its condition. It would be almost like a 5K km trip in a span of 8-9 days.
Sometimes the 'Check Engine' light has a mind of its own, it comes for no reason. Have you tried resetting the ECU by removing the negative terminal of the battery for 1 min. Try it and then check if the check engine light persists. In my 3.0 too the check engine light comes ON sometimes for no reason and then goes after restarting the vehicle.

Thread Starter #34
The battery is replaced hence I assume that the ECU must have been reset on its own.

Here's the interesting part I have observed about this light - when I start the engine the light goes off and remains that way as long as the vehicle is in first gear. The moment I shift to 2nd gear the light comes on.

The battery is replaced hence I assume that the ECU must have been reset on its own.

Here's the interesting part I have observed about this light - when I start the engine the light goes off and remains that way as long as the vehicle is in first gear. The moment I shift to 2nd gear the light comes on.
Check if the rpm is fluctuating when at idle in my car it does and hence the check engine light comes ON sometimes.

Thread Starter #36
While driving back the vehicle home from workshop today, did observe slight variation in RPM. That is, it would go down a bit and then adjust itself. But this was mostly while changing gears.

Will recheck the RPM fluctuation tomorrow while idling.

Just for record one issue fixed during servicing was that of speedometer. That is, while in neutral (and zero speed) position, if I raised the RPM, the speedometer would show the increase in speed though the vehicle was not moving at all. But now haven't seen that issue and even SA said that its fixed.

Umalkars : I sincerely request you to take someone knowledgeable along with you when you go to collect an itemised bill. 71000 Rupees is a lot of money and you must not be smug about it. Tata service centres are known to engage in a lot of malpractices-don't be surprised if they claim to have changed a part when they actually haven't- and so you MUST ask them to hand over all the replaced parts on your Safari to you. Please don't think that by sepnding this much money your Safari would become troublefree for 5 years/50000kms, a five year old vehicle is a five year old vehicle after all. I exhort you again - PLEASE SCRUTINIZE YOUR BILL THOROUGHLY AND MAKE TASS ACCOUNT FOR EACH AND EVERY ITEM THEY HAVE PUT IN THAT BILL.

Your check engine light could be flashing due to several reasons ranging from a loose connection to a to a short wire to a faulty sensor and/or to some serious problem in the engine (chances of latter are remote). Please get it sorted out before you embark on any long trip. You do not want to be left stranded with your family in the middle of nowhere with this 2 tonne behemoth

Thread Starter #38
Yes Sam, will surely check the bill thoroughly to ensure that I am not cheated in any way. Also for the 'Check Engine' light issue, will make sure that it's sorted out at the earliest.

Thanks for the concern.

@mercedised: no fluctuation in the RPM observed.

Yes Sam, will surely check the bill thoroughly to ensure that I am not cheated in any way. Also for the 'Check Engine' light issue, will make sure that it's sorted out at the earliest.

Thanks for the concern.

@mercedised: no fluctuation in the RPM observed.
That's good, check if the car is excessively smoking a little smoke is Ok. For the Check Engine light issue could you post the error code? (Ask tour TASC service advisor.) It will help in diagonising the cause.

Thread Starter #40
I just called SA and he said that the error was something like EGR malfunction / not working. He said he would give me the exact error code in some time. Will call him again in another 30 minutes and post the error code here.

Thread Starter #41
Called SA again and he said that the error is EGR error and he is recommending to replace EGR valve.

Few questions:
1. Is it a must to replace EGR valve now?
2. What's the cost of EGR valve?
3. Is there any workaround like cleaning this valve etc.?
4. How critical is EGR valve in engine performance, can it lead to breakdown at odd times?

Thanks.

Called SA again and he said that the error is EGR error and he is recommending to replace EGR valve.

Few questions:
1. Is it a must to replace EGR valve now?
2. What's the cost of EGR valve?
3. Is there any workaround like cleaning this valve etc.?
4. How critical is EGR valve in engine performance, can it lead to breakdown at odd times?

Thanks.
EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve. What it does is recirculate part of exhaust gases into the combustion chamber to reduce NOX emissions. If the EGR goes bad, it has to be replaced. A faulty EGR will make your Safari emit lot of smoke and may also cause erratic idling and jerky acceleration. Get it replaced. Post the price quoted by TASS here before giving it a go ahead. Safari is a bottomless pit as far as maintenance expenditure is concerned. All the best !

Last edited:

Top Bottom