My Pre-Owned Tata Safari 3.0 - Ownership Review

Thread Starter #46
Just an update, had been to Ahmednagar last weekend, so took the vehicle to Hundekari Motors. Requested them to check the error code for 'Check Engine' light and it was/is PO400 (EGR related).

I guess I will have to replace EGR valve, let's see if I can find the manufacturer of this part so that I can buy directly.

Hi Umalkars,

First let me congratulate you for your new acquisition of Safari 3L.AFAIK Safari 3L is proven and tested by times so nothing to worry.

Here in your case could you please second opinion from local service station probably where you maintain your previous vehicle Estate.

EGR should not cost you the bomb. Whenever EGR goes corrupt first sign is excessive black smoke from exhaust, which is absent in your vehicle. Could you please check the sensors again may be sensors are not aligned with solenoid valve.

Thread Starter #48
Thanks. That's for certain that there's no smoke at all in my vehicle. So as you suggested, will check the sensors again.

Any good mechanic that you may suggest in Pune who could check the vehicle?

Thanks.

Hey Umalkars, congratzzz for the new ride. I always liked the Safari for it beasty looks. But please beware of this TASS people, they might take you for costly ride for no reasons. Happy long driving. :-). I have also been to Shegaon in my PUNTO. Good place to be and also don't forget to visit Anand Sagar. Sadly I missed it [cry]

Search is on with my Safari owners friends immediately they have replied back with some names but Balaji Garage Pune repeated multiple times you can check with them.

On behalf of me and dharmesh
Can we request you to upload pic of shegaon visit along with your Safari.

Thread Starter #51
Couldn't go to Shegaon last weekend due to some unavoidable circumstances. Planning to go there coming weekend (may start tomorrow night). Will surely upload snaps once back.

Thread Starter #52
Just received the invoice from Pandit auto, attaching here. It's a PDF file sent over an email. The invoice carries the name of the first owner of the vehicle.

Attachments

On
Just received the invoice from Pandit auto, attaching here. It's a PDF file sent over an email. The invoice carries the name of the first owner of the vehicle.
I don't know what to say. I really feel happy to see your enthusiasm for the Safari but spending Rs. 72000 on a Safari that has done 1.6 lakh kms...well, that requires guts.

Though one should refrain from makin passing statements, I sincerely get a feeling that you got ripped off. Have they given you all the parts that they replaced? Did they tell you why are they replacing all these parts? I think the answer to these questions would ne a big NO.

All the best with your impending trips. I wish that the vehicle remains trouble free and does not leave you and your family stranded. Keep us posted.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #54
To some extent I may agree with you. Just thought of getting the vehicle serviced from authorized workshop the first time. Hence forth, will try to take care of the vehicle personally. It would be fun to learn and do everything at home.

By the way, had beed to Shegaon finally last weekend. Started on Friday (Apr 27th) night, reached Shegaon at around 6 in the morning on Saturday. Started home journey at around 11.30 am after "darshan" and "mahaprasad", and reached Ahmednagar at around 7 pm. Visited some acquaintance on the way back.

It was really fun driving Safari, no issues at all, though the 'Check Engine' was on all the time. Got an average of 12+ km/ltr with AC for the entire journey. Hardly felt any heat inside the vehicle while driving back during day time. Overall, it was a nice journey.

Most probably may leave for Kashmir in a couple of weeks (around 11th this month), just hoping that our Safari too enjoys the journey!

Thread Starter #55
Count down begins for our trip to Kashmir ... leaving next Friday - May 11th.

Major places that we intend to visit - New Delhi, Jammu, Srinagar (if possible, may drive down till Kargil), Anantnag, Pahalgam, Mathura, Agra. And of course, may stop at any good spots on the route.

Thread Starter #57
Unfortunately we had to cancel our trip to Kashmir, decided for a smaller one. Had been to Dandeli (Karnataka), Goa, and Konkan. Started on 13th May (1 am) and returned yesterday (20th May) at around 6 am.

Overall it was a good trip with almost 1700 km in around 7 days.
Anshi Nature Camp (Dandeli) - checkin 13th, checkout 16th
Goa (Baga beach) - checkin 16th, checkout 17th
Devbagh (Konkan - Malvan) - checkin 17th, checkout 19th
Back home in Pune on 20th.

Visited Pawas and Derwan while returning back.

As far as the Safari goes, it was my first trip after buying the vehicle and we thoroughly enjoyed the drive. There were no problems whatsoever. Got an average of around 11 km/ltr with AC all the time. Though I am not a fast driver, but still could touch the speed of 130 km/hr on the expressway. Otherwise, drove most of the time at around 80 km/hr.

About check engine light glowing, had discussions with few (knowledgeable) people to confirm that EGR related problem would certainly NOT lead to any breakdowns. Hence, its not fixed yet though I have it on my mind to get it fixed in near future.

Good to know that the Safari did not let you down. The 3.0 is a strong, durable block but Tata's Achilles heel is electricals. Keep us posted on the developments. Please answer the following questions:

How was the performance of the AC?

Did the vehicle feel underpowered under weight? How many people/luggae was it carrying?

Any rattles/squeaks from the body/steering/suspension?

Any cold start problems?

How long does it take to crank the vehicle (time taken after turning the ignition key and till the time the engine comes to life) ?

Any other small problems?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #59
Good to know that the Safari did not let you down. The 3.0 is a strong, durable block but Tata's Achilles heel is electricals. Keep us posted on the developments. Please answer the following questions:

How was the performance of the AC?

Did the vehicle feel underpowered under weight? How many people/luggae was it carrying?

Any rattles/squeaks from the body/steering/suspension?

Any cold start problems?

How long does it take to crank the vehicle (time taken after turning the ignition key and till the time the engine comes to life) ?

Any other small problems?
The AC is really good though it takes around 10-15 minutes to cool the entire vehicle. Thereafter, it's pretty good - or I would say its more like a normal temperature. We could travel almost the entire day without feeling the heat. At night, its certainly chilling inside.

We were 4 adults + 4 kids and 3 somewhat heavy bags but I could hardly feel any difference. The pick up was almost the same and even with all this weight it could easily cross 80+ km/hr.

On rough (not too much) roads (mostly in Konkan) there were few sounds from the left rear side of the vehicle. But once on plain road it was all smooth, no sound of body at all.

No cold start problems at all, it always started at first attempt.

It does take a while to crank the engine, may be I would say around 3-4 seconds (or 7-8 rotations I guess, sometimes its quicker.) My Tata Estate would start almost immediately. But Safari takes a while and when I told the same to SA he said that its because of Dicor engine. Now is that true???

No other problems as such, though at times there was water vapour (or was it gas?) coming out of vents. I guess it was probably due to temperature difference. Also, water drops (very slowly - once in a minute or so) were dripping inside sometimes, near clutch pedal.

Just to make the trip memorable, the right side rear view mirror (not the cover) came off when it touched the mirror of Innova while crossing in Konkan region. This was between Devbagh and Tarkarli and the road was pretty small. Will get the new one today afternoon.

3-4 Seconds for cranking the Dicor engine is okay provided the battery is in a good shape. Since you had installed a new battery, I don't think this should be a cause of concern. You are really lucky than a Safari that has covered these many kilometres is not giving you any major problems.

Get the water dripping checked. Must be from the AC condensor. If this is not addressed,it would wet your carpet and the metal surronding it would eventually start to rust. Please check the area around the clutch pedal - I hope its not already rusted.

You went to Tarkarli? Wonderful place. Away from the maddening crowd and totally quaint and blissful. Please post some pictures.

Last edited:

Top Bottom