My Pre-Owned Honda City SMT (2010) – The Golden Pixie

New Tyres
New tyres…..what pops in mind first. Endurance., comfort., style., grip., etc…etc….tyres are critical part of the car that links the car to the ground. While making a buying decision, we have multiple choices and tires are no different. Though factors like price and performance play an important role, look and aesthetics also impact decision making to a large extent.
Thumb rule:
  1. one should not exceed the original tyre’s outer diameter by 3%.
  2. For every 10mm increase in width of tyre, the sidewall height (or aspect ratio) should be reduced by 5 percent.
Technically, tyre up sizing can be performed in two ways:
  1. Wider tyres in original wheels
  2. Upgrading to larger wheels and wider tyres
Advantages of Tyre Up sizing
besides a cosmetic uplift, tyre up sizing brings the following benefits for owners.
  • Personalization- increased side wall flex adds to plush ride
  • Ground clearance- Confirmed by various members up to 5mm extra GC.
  • Better braking- Wider section tends to hold the ground better
  • Cornering stability- prevents under steering more than skinnier 175 section tyres.
Disadvantages of Tyre Up sizing
Despite the aforementioned benefits, tyre up sizing also has a few significant drawbacks that discourage many car owners.
  • Weighted Steering: larger contact patch tends to heavy steering
  • Low Fuel Efficiency: Marginally hence negligible
  • Wrong Speedometer Reading: inappropriate up sizing leads to lesser speedo readings
  • Reduced Acceleration: Increased weight of wheels and tyres
Now the new tyres story
All the five 10 year old Michelin XM1 tyres have become weak and one among them was badly bulged. The sales person agreed to swap it with spare tyre for time being. Quickly after I ordered the key cover, started searching in the internet for new tyres. After some search i came to know about the above mentioned facts and criterion for tyre up sizing. Stock tyres are Michelin Energy XM1 sized 175/65 R15 and after seeing many positive reviews and threads, was very much satisfied to upgrade to Michelin XM2 195/65 R15 since primacy 3 ST was a bit costlier. Initially I searched online stores for availability and price variations. Since the estimated delivery period was very long, decided to visit the tyre market. Next day after delivery took the car for a quick spin. My first ride impressions was very good. The car pulled smoothly from the parking space. Quickly turned OFF the radio to check whether any noise creep into cabin. Didn’t hear any noise or rattling sounds(except some road noise). After 15 kms of driving, initial impressions were, the floor board didn’t vibrate which was prone in swift(from my experience). The refinement level and power was more than expected from the ten year old motor. Seats were well cushioned with average contouring. Me and my dad fit well in the seats, somehow rest of my family likes the swift’s back seat cushions more than the city’s.
Reached B.M.LAL BROS, Royapettah authentic Michelin tyre dealers with good reputation. The dealer informed that XM2s were replaced by XM2+ few months before. In our favor the dealer’s dad owned same year city smt with 195 section tyres. We compared both the cars side by side. As per the car owner, the tyres didn’t make any change when 2 or 3 onboard including driver.He also said the 195 sections along with spacers will make a lot of difference to the GC. I explained the dealer that the car was newly purchased and is it better to stick with the stock to know the original handling of the car. After some good conversation, we decided to stick with stock 175 sections, since mostly only 3 of us will be travelling. Our urban usage will be 500 kms/month maximum for some more time and there would be 1-2 highway trips to Kanniyakumari (750 kms approx) and 3-4 Bangalore trips(400 kms approx)yearly. December manufactured tyres were available at that time. Ordered 4 tyres and got it fixed. It took almost 30 mins for swapping with the new tyres. Filled the tyres with nitrogen and got the wheels aligned from them itself. Two of the old tyres were bulged on inner side walls.As it was good time, checked wheel wells for any rust formation, and the result was positive no evidence of rust.
With the new tyres the changes were evident on the tarmac. The car rolled smoothly over the bitumen and the road noise was reduced considerably. Drove gently back to our home. Though didn’t get what we expected, we were pretty much satisfied with the new buy. GC was not a big issue for our usage. Apart from the hospital entrance, the car glides over most of the speed breakers smoothly. Sometimes she does show some respect to the road with a gentle kiss but not a great deal breaker. To our surprise, on the airport run 25 kms away from my home the car served well. There were 5 people onboard and 4 trolleys and 3 shoulder bags altogether weighing 70 kgs in the dickey. The car scraped only once while exiting our street on front right mudflap(it was a right turn + speed breaker situation). After few Kms there were series of speed breakers, the car didn’t scrape even once. Though dad and me were a bit confused, few of you may know the real reason. It would be great if you all share your knowledge about the same.

Tyres: Michelin Energy XM2+ 175/65/R15
Manufactured at: December 2019
Cost: Rs 20000(including GST)
Wheel alignment: Rs 400
Post some pics with the new tyres. Good that you did not go ahead with 195/65/R15. Thats a wrong upsize. When i bought my city, it had 195/65/r15. Though it never scrapped anywhere, the car was bit wobbly to drive. I upgraded to 205/50/R16.. GC has increased considerably and i placed Rogerabs between the back suspension to avoid scrapping. I can maneuver over big sized humps or pot holes with much ease compared to the honda city which my Father in law has(runs on stock spec)

Attachments

Thread Starter #32
I didn't take any pictures during the tire swap. I will upload some post tyre upgrade picutes.
NEW 1.jpg
NEW 2.jpg
NEW 3.jpg

Though the GC is not phenomenal, the car doesn't scrape nowadays. The combination of snail speed over the bumps and optimum tyre pressure(32psi front and 30psi back) saves my car from the most scared thing in the beginning.

Thread Starter #33
A quick recommendation for car care during heavy rainfall and flooded roads:

I would suggest all car owners who live in Chennai and places where the rain water would stagnate and flood the roads on a large scale to consider some time to check the spare wheel sump for water stagnation after heavy rain and flooding. Water can enter this area, stagnate for a very long period and cause rusting. Some of the causes may be, faulty dickey beading, damaged brake lights, broken rear panels or driving through flooded roads (which is the cause in my case). After heavy rainfall in Chennai was forced to drive through flooded roads, since no other roads were opened that time. Saw a 2010 i20 stuck. Poor guy has stalled his car midway. I checked the trails of the 2 to 3 cars in the front before unwantedly getting myself stuck. With constant throttle in first gear crossed the bit of the road gently. Fortunately, the car on the opposite lane reversed to leave more room for me. Quickly after reaching destination inspected the car visually and checked the bonnet and dickey. Saw trials of water under spare wheel. Since it was late dawn and will reach home lately, I didn't do anything that day. Next day took some time and did a proper inspection around the car, engine bay and dickey. Removed the spare wheel cleaned the sump, let it dry for about one day before putting back the spare wheel. Unfortunately, couldn't leave the dickey for quick drying since there is boot lamp (should remove battery terminals and redo engine idle learning).

At some inevitable moments we do tend to drive like above stated way. But it would be better if we stay way from these situations. I thought of sharing this experience with fellow members especially newbies like me to be aware of the aftermaths.

1.jpg

During the cleaning process had took the snap of the spare wheel Michelin Energy XM1 (will be changed soon to new tyre).

IMG-2386 (2).jpg

Last edited:
A quick recommendation for car care during heavy rainfall and flooded roads:
I would suggest all car owners who live in Chennai and places where the rain water would stagnate and flood the roads on a large scale to consider some time to check the spare wheel sump for water stagnation after heavy rain and flooding. Water can enter this area, stagnate for a very long period and cause rusting. Some of the causes may be, faulty dickey beading, damaged brake lights, broken rear panels or driving through flooded roads (which is the cause in my case). After heavy rainfall in Chennai was forced to drive through flooded roads, since no other roads were opened that time. Saw a 2010 i20 stuck. Poor guy has stalled his car midway. I checked the trails of the 2 to 3 cars in the front before unwantedly getting myself stuck. With constant throttle in first gear crossed the bit of the road gently. Fortunately, the car on the opposite lane reversed to leave more room for me. Quickly after reaching destination inspected the car visually and checked the bonnet and dickey. Saw trials of water under spare wheel. Since it was late dawn and will reach home lately, I didn't do anything that day. Next day took some time and did a proper inspection around the car, engine bay and dickey. Removed the spare wheel cleaned the sump, let it dry for about one day before putting back the spare wheel. Unfortunately, couldn't leave the dickey for quick drying since there is boot lamp (should remove battery terminals and redo engine idle learning).

At some inevitable moments we do tend to drive like above stated way. But it would be better if we stay way from these situations. I thought of sharing this experience with fellow members especially newbies like me to be aware of the aftermaths. View attachment 283943

During the cleaning process had took the snap of the spare wheel Michelin Energy XM1 (will be changed soon to new tyre).
View attachment 283944
Thanks for the detailed write up. Our honda city is prone to water sweepage in tyre sump area.
Any particular reason you want to change the spare wheel? Don't bother to change it just because its old as you will be using this spare tyre in case of emergencies ti reach the nearest tyre shop. If you get a new spare, it will lay in the boot and get old. Better to use the existing new tyres and do proper alignment, balancing and rotation as needed. Just my thought

Akash1886

Honoured Member
@Austindhas , bro, above pics are pure nostalgia for me. I still have a soft corner for this gen Honda CITY Ivtec. Some designs never go out of fashion. May god bless your car with a fuss-free lifetime / ownership[cheers] This one is a keeper.

Regards
Akash

Thread Starter #38
Magnetic window shades
During summer, driving around under the hot scorching sun could get uncomfortable. The glass windows eases the temperature on the inside to increase in just a few minutes. Hence it makes sense to add some protection to it. We all love wearing shades in summer and the same holds true for our cars too. Window films are now illegal(by law/police) which leaves us with just one option – to use those mesh cloth shades. These window sunshades maintain a cooler and much comfortable environment inside vehicle during the ride. Also, these sunshades do not hinder on-road visibility and ensures heat resistance and durability.
My requirements:
  • Full coverage including rear glass
  • Zipper at least for front windows
  • Premium look
  • Good sun light protection and privacy
After going through @Dr MUDHAN threads and product descriptions and reviews, settled on Kozdiko zipper magnetic sun shades
From the manufacturer:
This product shields your car from external heating and offers clear on-road visibility. Get your car equipped with the window sun shade from KOZDIKO. Available in black color, this car window pullover sunshade is designed using the premium grade Nylon polyester mesh with a metallic frame embedded with magnets and comes in a pack of 5 pieces. This pack has 2 zipper curtains for the front window and 3 non-zipper curtains for the rear one. It provides reliable protection from direct sun rays inside your vehicle. It can easily be installed and removed at your convenience with the magnets provided.
Highlights
  • No Screw or Drilling required.
  • Customized as per Vehicle description and fit
  • Keep out the sun’s UV rays (as said by few sellers and users)
  • Reduces heating, allowing the car's AC system to be more effective
  • Protect your passengers and interior from excess light and heat

w1.jpg

All 5 window shades(2 front zipper magnetic, 2 rear non zipper magnetic, 1 rear windshield non magnetic)

w2.jpg

Rear right door with magnetic shades

w3.jpg

Driver door with magnetic shades on

w4.jpg

Right side both doors with magnetic shades

W5.jpg

Before and after comparison of magnetic window shades installation

Pros:
  • Magnetic Fit-Easy to Install & Remove.
  • Front Window with Zipper is easy to pay toll tax, parking fees, Open Side Mirrors
  • Reduces interior temperatures(maybe) and increases privacy.
  • Does not hinder the road visibility even at night.
  • Fixed securely in place even when the window is down on high speeds. (tried at x40+ kmph)
Cons:
  • Restricts the access to rear seats from outside when the door is closed
  • Sometimes if not handled properly, the shades moves and obstacles the door closing mechanism
  • Bottom part of shades is not fixed, hence it tends to move or rattle along with door movements
  • At the contact points the magnets tends to strip the paint off(negligible)
It’s been 10 months since I started using magnetic window shades and it serves the purpose well by reducing the sun light and adding some privacy (evident in evening and night drives) without hindering the on-road visibility. The only con to me is the magnets could have been stronger to hold the shades in place while closing the door, since it is weak, shades tend to move and obstruct the rear doors from closing.

Recent update:
In one of the shades welding gave up resulting in misalignment of the shade. Took it to a local shop and did the welding and placed it back in its place.
IMG-3300.jpg

Rear left sun shade with damaged frame(welding gave up)
IMG-3301.jpg

Rewelded and stitched rear left sun shade

Thread Starter #39
Car upholstery cleaner
Most of us spend a lot of time travelling together with our family and friends. We eat and drink in our cars. We haul kids, pets, luggage and most other items on the back seat for reachability. As a result, the car’s interiors (i.e.) seats, mats and upper liner can get pretty dirty. Eventually, all but most of the stains can be easily cleaned away (especially if it has add on seat covers). But some permanent stains need special treatment to bring back the seats to its former condition. At the very last, we want our car interior to look and smell better.
Now back to the story, as the PIXIE was 11-year-old and pleasant interior was the combination of beige and cream (except floor mats), the interior was pretty dirty during the time of purchase itself. After some usage and few trips down the south, the seats have become a lot dirtier than expected. After not satisfied by the professionals cleaning the interiors, planned for DIY to clean the car seats on my own. The shortlisted cleaners were 3m foam upholstery cleaner and Dazlo carpet and upholstery cleaner. The 3m would have made cleaning easier as it foams up on the sprayed surface thus making the cleaning easier without completely soaking seats. Unfortunately, 3m cleaner was out of stock for two weeks and had to opt for the Dazlo.
cleaner.jpg

On the other hand, Dazlo was concentrated liquid to be mixed with water in the ratio 1:30 for mild application and 1:10 for severely soiled fabrics. Purchased from amazon and immediately the day it was delivered, used it on household upholstery chairs to check the results. The 1:10 ratio worked well on thick and stained fabrics, but felt like removing residue was time consuming. For next trial mixed at 1:20 ratio, it did a great job of removing stains from dark colored upholstery. However, cream colored upholstery was not completely cleaned, leaving me in a dilemma as it may worsen the looks of the seats further. Took the risk and started the work next day. Removed the dirt and dust particles with medium bristle brush. Using a vacuum cleaner will make the job easier. The concentrate, when mixed with water in the ratio 1:19 gave a frothy solution. Used a small piece of hard sponge to aerate the solution to further increase the froth. Then gently used the sponge to apply froth alone on the upholstery. After leaving it to absorb for two minutes, used a medium bristle brush to agitate the surface. After about properly agitating the applied surface, used a microfiber towel to wipe clean the surface. Often had to dunk the towel in clean water and squeeze it dry before using it again. The towel left lot of dirt and grime in bucket showing that the cleaner actually worked. Cleaned small portion of the seat at a time, as the froth may dissolve quicker if applied on a large scale. Some specific places like rear seat bottom and front center armrest needed 2-3 times cleaning to remove stains completely. Also cleaned door armrest and the result was amazing. It took me almost 5 - 6hours to complete all the seats as they were lot dirtier. If the seats were cleaned on regular basis, then the work would have taken about 1-1.5 hours max. After completing the work, almost 2/3 of the concentrate was left in the bottle.
The result was unbelievable, as I expected the cleaner to leave some stains untouched. But the nylon upholstery coped up very well such that the car seats looked brand new. Was able to identify that the car seats were actually two tone with different textures (very mild difference). The result left a big smile in my face. On the flip side, as the complete seat was not done at single shot, near the borders of seat the dirt has accumulated and was not noticeable when seats were wet. And I thought the cleaner would leave a citrus smell, instead had to bear a strong detergent smell for few weeks.
Recommendations:
  • If possible, use wet vacuum/extractor to remove excess moisture from the upholstery quickly.
  • I would recommend to use a fabric/leather protector after cleaning the seats to increase the longevity of the material.
Before seat cleaning
bc1 (2).jpg

Front passenger seat

bc2.jpg

Rear passenger seat

bc3.jpg

Right side rear seat cleaned and left to dry

After cleaning seats
ca 1.jpg

Front driver seat and central armrest(the armrest says the difference)

ca 2.jpg
ca3.jpg
ca4.jpg

Rear passenger seats

ca5.jpg

Front passenger side door armrest

A quick guide:
Equipment/tools you need:
  • Vacuum with a hose, crevice tool, upholstery brush
  • Medium bristled brush
  • Microfiber cloths
  • Cleaning sponge
  • Two buckets one for solution, other for water
  • Commercial carpet and upholstery cleaner
  • Water

Procedure
  1. Vacuum the Seats
  2. Pre-Treat Stains
  3. Apply the Upholstery Cleaner Solution
  4. Scrub Away the Dirt
  5. Wipe Away Excess Moisture
  6. Repeat All Steps if Needed
  7. Allow the Seats to Dry
  8. Spray fabric protector

Tips to keep car seats clean longer
  • Try covering seat with artificial leather/cloth seat cover so that it makes cleaning/washing covers often easy.
  • Clean spilled food/beverages asap after using the car.
  • Deep clean the seats periodically and after long trips.
  • Use medium bristle brush to remove dust particles from crevices and corner of the seats.
  • Use fabric/leather protector to improve the longevity of upholstery/cover.
  • Always keep towel tucked under seat, so that at times when we eat it acts as a placement to catch spills.

deville_56

Honoured Member
Using the Dazlo, but without a wet vacuum cleaner, which always screwed up things. Used to cause spotting at the last points to dry as all the dirt will accumulate dirt. Always been a fan of STP Tuff Stuff.

Top Bottom