My New Honda City in White - The Albus

Re:

NEWS: Move Over LED, Graphene Lighting Has Arrived.
Don't know when it will reach the automotive world (soon perhaps, because of the shift in trend towards Electric Motor Vechicles), but it is proven to be more efficient and longer lasting than any existing LED light bulb.
Graphene’s lightbulb moment | The University of Manchester

So just before wanted to give a try to kill road noise and if it helps to reduce temp inside will be great.
I think the road noise (or road roar) on highways is due to the stock MRF ZVTV tyres. A switch to tyres with softer compound and varied size tread blocks (like Pirelli P1 or Michelin Primacy ST3) and/or soundproofing the wheel arches willl give you the kind of silence what you are looking for at cruising speeds. All the best with door-panel damping, it is a good start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #962

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
PART: LXVIIII

ANHC: MY CHROME STORY PART II (SAD! [frustration])

134541d1399737862-my-new-honda-city-white-albus-fr.jpg
OLD ORIGINAL PICTURE​

I shared with you all many chrome things for ANHC in this thread earlier and you can recall from some of the following links.

MY CHROME STORY

CHROME DOOR HANDLE PLUS!

APPLYING CLEAR COAT OVER CHROME HANDLES

But I feel it is my responsibility to bring to your attention that you should be careful or better avoid purchasing certain things in future. I would certainly say many accessories I purchased added value to my car except one or two which you may note.

1. Chrome handle covers – they were excellent for one year and now suddenly lost the charm. For a car like ALBUS which is almost untouched by others except during servicing this duration for such quality is unacceptable. I did not do clear spray coat at that time what I advise now but it may prolong few more months.

honda city 2.jpg
honda city 3.jpg
honda city 1.jpg

2. Chrome Door Handle Cup Bowl – still worst and were not even lasting for 6 months (Free shipping & Tracking # New Chrome Door Handle Cup Bowl for Honda City 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 CA00548-in Chromium Styling from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group)

3. Special Fender DRLs (Universal steering light Fender Side Lamp with control box) – it was working without issues but the chrome plating part became dull and reduced the overall status of the car. I removed and restored with OE side indicators. But added a logo sticker ‘i vtec’ and it maintains the quality so far!

133993d1399209052t-my-new-honda-city-white-albus-car-signal-light.jpg
honda city 4.jpg

I am exploring now the possibility of chrome plating over the old one (ABS plastic) if I could remove them safely![roll]

Thanks Dr. Mudhan for updating the forum about the quality issues. It will be really helpful for other people.

It is really disappointing. Chrome handle cover looks really bad after 1 year of usage. [frustration] I have recently received mine and fitted few weeks back. Do you have any suggestion through which I can improve the life of the chrome handle cover? or any precautionary measure.

Dear Dr. Mudhan,

It is indeed sad to hear about chromed parts . However, we all stand gain something from this.

I know a guy in the US who does regular chrome plating for car and motorbike parts, and I been to his facility a couple of time. According to him, if the chrome has to last for any length of time, priming the surface with copper holds the key (notice how some of our motorbikes and bicycles lose their chrome in a few years?) Process involves sand blasting, several acid baths then followed by copper coating which acts as the final primer coat for chrome . In fact, he does the copper coating at least three to four times before plating chrome on. That is as far as chrome plating metals like steel, brass, aluminum etc., and with each type of metal the process varies a little.

What about plastics (engineered plastic and resin or ABS)? It still goes thru media blasting, followed by milder acid baths before surface is chromed. Generally speaking, chromed plastic lasts for much lesser period of time (but a lot higher than what you have experienced) than chromed metals.

From the photos you have provided, I have a strong feeling that the plastic/resin has not gone through the due process of chrome plating. In fact, the pitted scratchy pattern I see tells me that the release agent (a greasy substance that allows a plastic part to easily come off the injection mold) has not been completely removed . It may not be a regular short cut taken by the manufacturer to chrome plating, but more a one-off processing error that would apply to given batch where the surface has was not prepared and primed correctly.

If there are other reports of the same thing purchased from the same manufacturer over different times, then yes, it can be viewed as a dubious cost-cutting short cut taken by the manufacturer.

Re-chrome plating the same parts is a job no one will be willing to take on because removing all existing chrome to bare plastic (without damaging the unit) would involve three to four times the cost of the original item.

-SR

Dear Dr. Mudhan,

Also if you go back to your chrome handle cover ($11.49 per set) web page at AE and check this link for a similar size and shape chromed ABS product listed for $105.99 at AE it gives one something to think about the quality of the product.

-SR

Hello Sir,

I am visiting very late to this thread but I have gone through all 65 pages in last 3-4 days. Hats off to you for documenting all your experiences and joy of owning and modifying your Albus in detail and helping other members to get the same excitement. Thanks a lot!!
I also own the White Honda city 2009 (White Annihilator). After reading this thread few more modifications are on radar now [:)] I have also done few modifications to my White Annihilator like
Cold Air Intake, DRLs in headlamp, black roof, black front Grill.

Attachments

Hello Sir,

I am visiting very late to this thread but I have gone through all 65 pages in last 3-4 days. Hats off to you for documenting all your experiences and joy of owning and modifying your Albus in detail and helping other members to get the same excitement. Thanks a lot!!
I also own the White Honda city 2009 (White Annihilator). After reading this thread few more modifications are on radar now [:)] I have also done few modifications to my White Annihilator like
Hello Mr. Vaibhav,

Good to see you here and I heartily welcome you to the our ANHC family. I hope you'll be with us for a long time. [:)]

Your White Annihilator looks very nice and your modifications are also neat. Please feel free to share more details of your modifications made on your White Annihilator and don't hesitate to ask any queries here.

Hello Dr MUDHAN,

Sir, As of your chrome door handles, how about doing vinyl wrapping to them? using chrome vinyl sheet and hot air gun, may be we can archive results as original. Chrome vinyl durability could be less but inexpensive task. I have used carbon fiber 3d vinyls and they are very durability for any climate but I don't know how good they will look for door handles. We can get 3D carbon fiber vinyl sheets in silver, gold and someother colors too, in Ebay India.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:
Hello Dr MUDHAN,

Sir, As of your chrome door handles, how about doing vinyl wrapping to them? using chrome vinyl sheet and hot air gun, may be we can archive results as original. Chrome vinyl durability could be less but inexpensive task. I have used carbon fiber 3d vinyls and they are very durability for any climate but I don't know how good they will look for door handles. We can get 3D carbon fiber vinyl sheets in silver, gold and someother colors too, in Ebay India.

Thanks...
Best Regards
@CRACING @Dr.Mudan

I had a chat with the head of technical at 3M Car Care here. Despite all the high quality adhesives that 3M has, he says vinyl wraps do not stay for long on fiber/ABS material, they peel off after exposure to the elements. They adhere best to metal and painted surfaces.
I have my RVM done with black 3M carbon-fiber skins. When I wanted to do the front grill and door bump guards, they discouraged me from doing it - said it was a waste of money.
The best option, remove chrome completely, sand, and refinish with automotive primer and a metalic silver automotive paint.
-SR

Thread Starter #968

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
PART: LXXI

ANHC: MY CHROME STORY – RESOLVED​

Yes, I should share immediately this good news to all of my friends here.

Today being a holiday, I have decided to remove those chrome handle covers. I carefully removed every piece which was pasted with double sided tape. I could succeed except one, as so tight and broken.

I cleaned the ALBUS’s door handle areas with AMWAY SG to restore originality. Brought back the ABS plastic pieces to home. My conscious told to try cleaning the surface of the pieces with AMWAY SG.

It was not successful but I could see some clearance. I felt, it is something over the chrome surface and not the chrome itself. It was so stubborn and I took the risk of scratching and applied WAXPOL Rubbing Compound Standard (fine, could have been better) and pressed firmly over the surface, OMG, the color vanished to expose the dazzling chrome. Twice applied the rubbing compound in a circular motion and it restored the chrome surface. Finally cleaned the surface with AMWAY Silicone Glaze.

I have learned the lesson at the cost of one piece. What the seller claimed as good coated chrome (Triple Chrome surface finish) is true. The dirt and the Chennai sea sultry weather and environment created a stain over the chrome surface which misguided me.

I have ordered one more set (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...onda-City-2009-2010-2011-2012/1291951418.html) and decided to keep these as spares. The new set will be doubly coated with clear lacquer spray to increase durability before get pasted.

After some elbow grease , my fingers feel pain but the heart feels happy. [:D]

I will reply to all those friends responded over the issue. Thanks friends.

FINALLY CLEANED PIECES​

ANHC 4.jpg

BEFORE VS AFTER​

ANHC 2.jpg

CLEANED ONES VS THE BROKEN PIECE​

ANHC 3.jpg

BEFORE VS AFTER​

ANHC 1.jpg

THE MASTER​

ANHC 5.jpg

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I had a chat with the head of technical at 3M Car Care here. Despite all the high quality adhesives that 3M has, he says vinyl wraps do not stay for long on fiber/ABS material, they peel off after exposure to the elements. They adhere best to metal and painted surfaces.
I have my RVM done with black 3M carbon-fiber skins. When I wanted to do the front grill and door bump guards, they discouraged me from doing it - said it was a waste of money.
Dear Sir(s), I crossed this immaculately penned thread and would like to write a few humble points and share some pics of my City Ivtec.

I have got the door handles, ORVM and front grill wrapped from 3M Delhi in matte Black vinyl about 2.5 years back and till now the wrap has survived in all seasons without shrinking etc. I would like to say that door handles and ORVM are originally in Chrome and the wrap was done afterwards. The door handles are same as shown by Sir Mudhan above.

IMG_0650.JPG

IMG_0602.JPG

Actually, I feel, the chrome does have tendency of catching rust due to atmosphere but if done correctly, the wraps are actually effective way to protect them.

PS: Its an honor to write in this thread!

Regards

Akash

Actually, I feel, the chrome does have tendency of catching rust due to atmosphere but if done correctly, the wraps are actually effective way to protect them.
Nice skins, and thanks for the input. I don't know why 3M did not want do my front grill and door bumper guards. Perhaps too labour oriented? I am going to have to try another 3M outlet again. Thanks again.
-SR

After some elbow grease , my fingers feel pain but the heart feels happy. [:D]
SOME ELBOW GREASE...! I simply cannot help but admire your perseverance and patience in bringing those chrome door handle covers to showroom shine. Totally appropriate for the author of "The Albus". Thanks for the details.
-SR

Thread Starter #971

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@ Essarr​

Re-chrome plating the same parts is a job no one will be willing to take on because removing all existing chrome to bare plastic (without damaging the unit) would involve three to four times the cost of the original item.
I used to do even today chrome plating locally for metal parts. Recently I did it for Honda OE silencer muffler cover.Yes Sir, what you said is correct for ABS and not worthy. It is hard to find people doing chrome plating for customer’s ABS material except for their own products.

@ CRACING​

Sir, As of your chrome door handles, how about doing vinyl wrapping to them? using chrome vinyl sheet and hot air gun, may be we can archive results as original.
Yes, CRACING. I thought of it. But I am yet to get a skilled person over the job at Chennai. Let me try clear lacquer coat now, and after some time I will do that if the color fades.

@ bhaveshce​

The one I have and the above in pictures (HERE) is my first purchase from AE during March 2013. I paid $15 at that time. And the quality is no doubt, excellent.

Wholesale Product Snapshot Product name is ABS Chrome Door Handle Cover For 2012 Honda City

But the seller is not on marketing now and I have purchased another one from this seller recently and I find the quality is not the same. There are two qualities I understand, one is selling now for 16 to19 $ and another for 10 to 12 $.

Chrome Door Handle Cover Trim for Honda CITY 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012-in Chromium Styling from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Free shipping & Tracking # New Chrome Door Handle Cover Trim for Honda City 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 CA00510-in Door Handles from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Whatever may be, we are not always lucky to get the best one from China. We have to be doubly careful while ordering from China and it is better to check with the seller whether he will send the same as in his advertisement. Or at least, we may get a refund if he sends a counterfeit.

Please see the below pictures, comparing the two types I purchased. The earlier one has ABS/ Chinese letters .You may also note the second seller’s advertisement where Chinese letters are marked but it is different in the one he has sent.
If it is not durable, we may have to do as CRACING / Akash1886 suggested.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #972

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Hello Sir,

Great to meet you, Vaibhav!
It really boost me / us to know that you have not missed any of those pages in this thread which honestly reflects a lot of our hard work to help each other, the proud owners of ANHC, and to even for other car owners.

Thanks for the beautiful pictures of your ‘White Annihilator’; Yes, we are eager to learn from you.

Regards
Dr. MUDHAN

Hi
I am looking for a new sedan with options being ciaz and city
What are the running cost of diesel city such as serving cost and repairs and how long the OEM tyres would last?
How much real mileage you people are getting for diesel city.

Thread Starter #974

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@ prasanth11

Welcome to our thread. Between CIAZ and the ANHC Diesel (2014), You can refer many such owners observations in their respective Ownership Reviews.

In my opinion, diesel is not a best option for a personal car. I understand from other friends, though the diesel engine is so refined and the vibrations are no more but still the radiation of heat is felt in any Indian diesel car, comparatively the petrol one.

You may also go through the recent Indian newspaper articles before you decide over a diesel car.

IT IS ADVANTAGE PETROL

IT’S ADVANTAGE PETROL CARS NOW

ANHC DIESAL.jpg

All the best.

Last edited:
Great to meet you, Vaibhav!
It really boost me / us to know that you have not missed any of those pages in this thread which honestly reflects a lot of our hard work to help each other, the proud owners of ANHC, and to even for other car owners.

Thanks for the beautiful pictures of your ‘White Annihilator’; Yes, we are eager to learn from you.

Regards
Dr. MUDHAN
Thanks Dr. Mudhan! I will share details about my white Annihilator modificaation.

Headlamp DRLS
Cost- Rs 7000
Warranty - 1 yr
Duration- Using from last 15 months, operating smoothly till date
Done by Electron Performance, Pune

Initial plan was to add Projector lamps and headlamp DRLs but cost going over 20K so projector cancelled and also most of my usage is in the city so projector was not required. Headlamps of Honda city are factory sealed so required to open by heating. These LED tubes are imported from china and fitted inside the headlamp as per pattern suggested by customer. These LED tube act as DRLs as well as turn indicator. LED tube is having bright color ,White and Orange. Does not give feeling of cheap LEDs.
Actually set up with Projector lamp and DRLs look better as they blacken out the reflector and DRLs look far better in black background.

Thanks
Vaibhav

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom