My New Honda City in White - The Albus

Thread Starter #602

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member

PART: XLVII:

ANTI-CORROSIVE UNDERBODY TREATMENT – NECESSARY OR UNNECESSARY?

I still remember those days where we owned one of those two cars - Ambassador or Premier Padmini.

Premier Padmini was considered to be a Doctor’s car and the Amby was an Indian family car.

There used to be a joke about Amby that ‘ in Amby everything will give a sound except the horn!

I had witnessed that people taking the new car to a lathe workshop, first to do welding to stop sounds.

And also the days... car well-wishers used to advise a definite underbody coating. They even advised that if we really want a better protection, we should get a special paint used for ship bottom ‘Rubber seal’.

When I did it, half of its layer soon vanished during diesel oil spray at water service. Then they said this is a very thick rubberized paint, should not be nozzle sprayed and should be hand applied. Honestly, I recall the smell, it was just like a tar!

The story is different in today’s cars. Modern cars have enough underbody treatment as standard and they are given anti corrosive treatment by special dipping.

There is a difference between the anti-rust coating and underbody treatment coating.
Anti-rust coating is applied to any metal parts. Underbody coating is for underbody and the coating is little thicker.

I was desperate for underbody coating in my ALBUS, during first service as the ANHC wheel arches, especially where wheel arches meet running board looks worst, dated & unmatched for such a beautiful sedan. ( There may be a reason for not providing cosmetic covers as provided in other cars, to avoid accumulation of dust!)

A uniform black underbody coating gives a car a clean look. It also makes the car easier to maintain by just hosing the underside down. We can be confident that slush build up won’t lead to rusting easily. Most underbody coats these days come with a five-year warranty, which is the lifetime of such a coating. But practically any accidental repair will void the warranty.

ANTI RUST COATING.jpg

Regarding, anti-rust coating the treatment from the manufacturer is more than enough, unless one live in a coastal area or one has the habit of washing the car every day or and use of salt water.

Post purchase Anti-rust coating will never be complete and there are areas where we can’t access. Corrosion is like cancer, spreading is inevitable, even if a small bit left untouched.

Of course, nothing wrong to treat the corroded visible area by preparation and painting for cosmetic reason periodically if we like.

Read More Here - By Our Forum Friends:

CRACING

kuwaronline

If you are in a very high corrosion area like the coast then a good treatment like Dinitrol may be desirable. But, this is not just underbody application, but insides of doors, behind sills and chassis and anywhere that water is likely to collect is needed.

Rust in car's underbody is caused by prolonged exposure to water. The effects of rust cannot be reversed, only prevented.

The underbody coating that is most commonly used on cars in India and supplied by companies such as 3M is a thick, rubberized paint that forms a 2-3 mm thick coating all along the underside of the car when sprayed on. You also get a thinner clear coat underbody coating which is like a lacquer that coats the entire underside of the car. Some even inject rust-preventive coating material into crevices such as the bottom of doors and door sills, to protect them from rust.

3M / DINITROL / WURTH / WAXOYL / BARDHAL are good brands for the cavity protection & underbody treatment. It provides some benefits like Sound deadening, Heat insulation & Anti-chipping properties. Note that about only half the car underbody & inside of wheel wells is coated. The other half of underbody, which comprises of area below engine, fuel tank, chassis frame & silencer are not coated. . The coating is done for all the sheet metal parts of the body including the wheel wells. The rear suspension cross members, the gas tank, exhaust pipes and the under body cross member near the front will not get coated as they are already powder coated by the manufacturer.

A recoat is needed after years of abuse (especially speed breaker scraped areas) then it has to be done correctly. The procedure involves scrubbing and washing off the dirt >> drying >> cleaning with fat solvents (degreasing) >> primer pre-coat >> drying >> rust preventive pre-coat >> drying >> Silicone-polyether 1st and 2nd coat >> drying. The paint will start to chip out if not done a good job of cleaning the wheel wells before painting.

Risk of damage during such application is to be noted. Care must be taken while applying underbody coating. This thick rubberized paint if not applied properly, can get into moving mechanical parts and cause premature failure – such as into the U-joint or CV joints in a cars propeller shaft or drive shafts. They can also hinder smooth movement of suspension components, if applied incorrectly. And there’s also the risk of overspray on to the car’s paint finish on the lower edges of the car.

TIPS: We should never forget to wipe and dry the doors bottom / linings after any car wash or rain and where water droplets used to stay.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #603

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
PART: XLVIII:

DOs & DON’Ts - FOR THE PERMANENTLY PARKED CARS!

PARKED CAR.jpg

Cars parked & unused for few days to months, need special caring to make it road worthy again.

It’s sad to note that people buy cars just because they get office/ bank loan, use for few days, park it permanently as they get every facility like, from local transport to in- campus shopping, most of the time they never be inside the car than the car being inside the cover!!!

Some people leave their beloved cars due to unexpected job transfers or by going abroad.

If we plan to leave the car unused for a considerable period, these steps will help us to keep the vehicle in road worthy condition:

The factors here depends upon how long they are left untouched. The work required to start a car that's not been used for a long time will depend to some extent on how well the car was prepared before being put into 'storage'.

1. Keep the engine start and running at least for 5 minutes to ensure oil circulation & to keep battery healthy.

2. Do not engage the handbrake when you leave.
(Engaging the handbrake over an extended period can result in the brake pads getting stuck to the discs or drums. The smarter thing to do would be to use wheel chocks, say a piece of wood or even a brick, to keep it from rolling and leave the car in first gear.)

3. Park indoors or use a car cover
Leave windows partially open for ventilation – but only if the car's is in a secure garage.
(Avoid using the car cover indoor as this will ensure any moisture that is left inside will evaporates faster, especially in humid weather)

4. Spark plug care
(If you are going to leave your car idle for a long period, it's advisable to remove the spark plugs and spray a little oil into plug sockets before putting the plugs back again. This will help to prevent the insides of the cylinder-head rusting and keep away the moisture. )

5. Clean the interiors before parking the car
People tend to leave trash in cars, including chocolate or biscuit wrappers, old newspapers, and water bottles and so on. All of this could rot or, worse, attract rodents. Extra care is required for leather seats.
Lubricate locks with a suitable lock oil
Spray under the bonnet, around the battery box, under the wings and the metal in the boot area with WD40 or similar.

6. Fill up the fuel tank
This will keep away moisture entering the tank and prevent rusting of the fuel tank. Of course, be sure that the tank is sealed properly as well.

7. Battery maintenance
Ensure that the battery is fully charged and top up the water level. Remove the battery if you're going away for a long time, Store the battery in a cool and dry place, well away from direct sunlight, smear petroleum jelly or grease on the terminals and the wire ends to prevent rusting.

8. Paint job protection
Clean, and polish the car – hose under wheel arches to remove mud but make sure it's dry before leaving it.
A car's paint job can be damaged if the vehicle is parked outdoors, even with a car cover protecting it, due to the dust, grime and moisture. Clean, apply a coat of polish and wax. This will help in keeping moisture away.

9. Keep the tyres properly inflated
Check the tyre pressure and make sure the tyres are at the correct pressure. Proper inflation help prevent cracking of the sidewalls and flat spots. Check the valves and valve caps for leaks and that the valve caps fit properly.

10. Jack up the car wheel
Cars that have been stationary for long periods develop flat spots on tyres. To avoid this, use four jacks (or blocks of wood) so that the car doesn't rest on the wheels. If you can, remove the wheels and store them flat in a cool dark place.

11. Change oil and filters
It's best to put in fresh engine oil and new filters before leaving. Check all fluid levels before starting – change the oil once the car's running.

12. Belt care:
Slacken auxiliary drive belts – alternator, power steering, air conditioning, etc. Don't slacken the camshaft drive belt, if a car will be left unused for a long time.

13. Close openings
Carefully close with mesh sheet all possible openings like filter openings, AC vent, exhaust openings.

14. Don't forget to remove wiper blades or keep away from windshield glass in service position.

15. Starting a car left unused for a long time :

Check tyre pressures
Check that nothing's nesting under the bonnet or has chewed through the pipes/hoses
Re-tighten any drive belts loosened when the car was put away
Check all fluid levels before starting – change the oil once the car's running
Taking the plugs out first and turning the engine over is a good idea as this will reduce the load on the engine whilst the oil is redistributed.
Check brake operation including the handbrake – the brakes will probably be seized on if the car's been left with the handbrake applied. Try engaging a gear and driving gently, otherwise dismantling may be necessary.
Arrange a full service once the car is running again. Service by dealer is always good if the car under warranty period.

16. Inform the insurance company:
You may also be able to reduce your insurance cover to fire and theft only and get a refund.

Tips also gathered from: One / Three & More than three months Schedule
Leaving a car unused | AA

Last edited:
Hye..long time no post here[:)]

Now i'm looking to change the image of my CIty car and looking for the Mugen Front Grill like the picture below.

Looking for it in Malaysia but hard to find similar to the pictures. Any of forumers here know where can i get the Mugen Front Grill? Find a few but the website is in Indian Language and i cannot understand it..Hopefully someone could help me on this.[clap]

Attachments

Thread Starter #605

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Last edited:
Hi Dr. Mudhan, following your thread, i've decided to do some minor modifications like cabin light, chrome handles, shark fin antenna, etc., i want to purchase the blinking OVRM and can you pl share the link for your purchase. Also, please suggest a good electrician to fix the same and reverse parking assistance and painter in Chennai for painting the OVRM & shark fin antenna to match U.T colour as the website only supplies 'Brown' colour- regards.rajan

Last edited:
Hello friends,

Got some products today that I had ordered some days ago and wanted to share with you all. The Sakura Air Filter A-16810 for ANHC 3rd Gen and the ELM 327 Mini Car OBD2 Diag Adapter.

First about the Air filter. Its pretty good in built quality, I'ed rate 9.5/10 compared to Honda Original Air Filter and it is made in Indonesia. The paper foldings are 16 at the air input size compared to 24 in the Honda Air filter, as well as paper seems little thick. Yet I don't how it impacts the engine performance (Positive or Negative). May be will notice after using.

Next about the ELM 327 Mini. It is also very good in built quality and is working well. No worries about circuit shorts inside because there are no wires used inside and everything is soldered into PCBs. So far I have tested DashCommand and Torque Pro on Android which are working fine with the adapter, Yet there are many options which I still need to learn. Hopefully my car doesn't have any errors recorded. One thing I'm missing is the fuel gauge, apps doesn't seems to get the fuel details from. May be the ECU doesn't provide it or I didn't checked correctly.

The ELM 327 Mini Adapter was my second purchase from aliexpress and I'm very happy about the shipment time. Purchases from ebay china, items used to take 40+ days to reach me (I have ordered plenty of items from ebay so far) whereas on aliexpress, the items are reaching me in less then 20 days! Don't know whats the reason behind it!

Products snapshots below.
CameraZOOM-20140626154023865.jpg
CameraZOOM-20140626154115355.jpg
CameraZOOM-20140626154054814.jpg
CameraZOOM-20140626154205844.jpg

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:
Why did you bought ELM 327 Mini from aliexpress ? Its easily available on ebay.in which takes 3-4 days to deliver and you can always use coupons on ebay .And I use same Air filter which I get from local spare shop ,its good Air filter ,performs well.
Congrats for purchase .

Why did you bought ELM 327 Mini from aliexpress ? Its easily available on ebay.in which takes 3-4 days to deliver and you can always use coupons on ebay .And I use same Air filter which I get from local spare shop ,its good Air filter ,performs well.
Congrats for purchase .
I bought it for 350 Rs only and in ebay india, it costs more then double. [:)]

Glad to hear about the Air filter.

Thanks...
Best Regards

@ sapidin

I wonder, most of these front grill / body kit are available only in Malaysia.
Read through these links:

Actually, it is difficult to source in India, for the ANHC (3RD gen face lifted).
We can get only, easily here for 2009 -2011 models.

Even i love to fit that gril on my car. Really looks fabulous. [clap]
If you find any source then let us know here..

Last edited:
Even i love to fit that gril on my car. Really looks fabulous. [clap]
If you find any source then let us know here..
I liked the Mugen Front Grill more then the Modulo but I have 2009 ANHC. I could find some links for Indian buyers.

This one looks same as Modulo, shown by Dr MUDHAN
IMPORTED NEW HONDA CITY IVTEC FRONT GRILL - Buy car accessories online india, autogully.in

This is like Mugen's but not painted.
Welcome to Performance Zone

Another one but doesn't look so nice.

Looks like this one is fixed above the existing front grill but not sure.
Galio-Honda City-Front Show Grill Spl (IV-Tec)

You can get plenty of more accessories from Car Performance Parts,Car Exterior Lighting,Car Modification Parts [:)]

@Dr MUDHAN, Do you really think there is a difference with 2009-11 ANHC and 2012 Facelift ANHC front grill? The shape looks same to me, no idea about backside though. Of course the bumper is different but I think even bumper fits to both. May be Honda hasn't changed the chassis, just redesigned the front look of bumper and grill in facelift version.

I liked the Mugen Front Grill more then the Modulo but I have 2009 ANHC. I could find some links for Indian buyers.

This one looks same as Modulo, shown by Dr MUDHAN
IMPORTED NEW HONDA CITY IVTEC FRONT GRILL - Buy car accessories online india, autogully.in

This is like Mugen's but not painted.

Another one but doesn't look so nice.

Looks like this one is fixed above the existing front grill but not sure.
Galio-Honda City-Front Show Grill Spl (IV-Tec)

You can get plenty of more accessories from Car Performance Parts,Car Exterior Lighting,Car Modification Parts [:)]

@Dr MUDHAN, Do you really think there is a difference with 2009-11 ANHC and 2012 Facelift ANHC front grill? The shape looks same to me, no idea about backside though. Of course the bumper is different but I think even bumper fits to both. May be Honda hasn't changed the chassis, just redesigned the front look of bumper and grill in facelift version.

Only that first link shows the link which share by Dr MUDHAN but price is on higher side. Others we can get locally very easily as Honda also sells them here. [:)]

BTW thank you for the links.

And I don't think there is any changes inside as they keep many parts identical. Also on web it's mentioned as 2009-2012 Model.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #613

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
PART: XLIX:

MY ALBUS GETS NEW & THE BEST BATTERY!

I was not really happy about the battery that came along with the car. Of course, no issues or complaints with the OE battery but that’s not the hi-tech model with inbuilt Battery Status Indicator.

There happened an opportunity to change the battery so I did some analysis.

1. I wanted the best version of a proven, reputed brand.
2. Hi-tech model with inbuilt Battery Status Indicator.
3. Manufactured date should be within 6 months.
4. Heavy duty as I would be going for a better ICE / amplifier.
5. Competitively priced & cheaper.

No second thought, I decided to go with AMARON Pro (50B20L), and started analyzing local price. Local price ranged from Rs.3800 to Rs. 4150/- as against MRP of Rs. 4551/- in exchange with old battery.

Though, I was skeptical about online battery purchase, I thought that why should not I try ?

I never wanted to buy from an online store which sends by courier, rather I preferred from their local supply store and only through cash on delivery so that I am sure that I am getting the right one @ right price!

Among online battery sellers in India, I found that one firm – BatteryBhai.com - India's No. 1 Online Car/Inverter Battery Store is the best. I even noted that they deliver at home within 3 to 4 hours. I tried and it became an exciting experience.

I was waiting for the Saturday so that I spare some time while they change the battery in my car & today morning at 10.00am I booked online, through cash on delivery. At 10.30am I got a call from their local supplier whether they could come. Only question I asked that what would be the manufactured date. They said it is November 2013, but the warranty would start from today only. I made a request to check and get me a battery within 6 months of manufacturing.
They agreed and requested one hour more and called after half an hour later and said they are sending a fresh battery, manufactured in the current month ( 06/14). I was really surprised. They send as told and replaced the battery within 2.30 hours of my online order and I paid the cash of Rs. 3600/- on exchange, & replacement. The deduction for old battery price ranges from Rs. 300 to 650/- locally & at batterybhai.com it is Rs.650/- maximum.

Honda City Battery.jpg

Honda City Battery2.jpg

Amaron Battery.jpg
Honestly this online site needs appreciation. [clap]

More Pictures Here: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ow-make-your-car-battery-go-4.html#post392676

Last edited:
PART: XLIX:

MY ALBUS GETS NEW & THE BEST BATTERY!

I was not really happy about the battery that came along with the car. Of course, no issues or complaints with the OE battery but that’s not the hi-tech model with inbuilt Battery Status Indicator. There happened an opportunity to change the battery so I did some analysis.

1. I wanted the best version of a proven, reputed brand.
2. Hi-tech model with inbuilt Battery Status Indicator.
3. Manufactured date should be within 6 months.
4. Heavy duty as I would be going for a better ICE / amplifier.
5. Competitively priced & cheaper.

No second thought, I decided to go with AMARON Pro (50B20L), and started analyzing local price. Local price ranged from Rs.3800 to Rs. 4150/- as against MRP of Rs. 4551/- in exchange with old battery......]
Man, that's really, really great!

This is the first time I saw such a good site!

+1000 to that!

Delivered in 3-4 hours means almost impossible for any website! I really love this website! Great Work and I highly appreciate it!

-PaddleShifter

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #615

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Dr. Mudhan, following your thread, i've decided to do some minor modifications like cabin light, chrome handles, shark fin antenna, etc., i want to purchase the blinking OVRM and can you pl share the link for your purchase. Also, please suggest a good electrician to fix the same and reverse parking assistance and painter in Chennai for painting the OVRM & shark fin antenna to match U.T colour as the website only supplies 'Brown' colour- regards.rajan

@ CHENNAI

BLINKING OVRM

Unfortunately, the one I bought last year is no more available anywhere and another model (sakurapart.com -Thailand) Which is almost looks like original is only available. But the cost is doubled than what I purchased.
Galio India make is cheap but looks awkward.

Check here:

Performance Zone - Led Side Mirror Cover - Honda City I-Vtec - Buy Car Accessories Accessories | Snapdeal.com

GOOD ELECTRICIAN

Most of the auto electrician are hyper active & they never have time to respect the sentiments of the car owner. Sometimes we will get irritated the way they handle things we brought & ignoring our warranty issues. It is better we talk to them our feeling and monitor their work step by step.

1. My normal Electrician: Sakthi Auto Electrical, No.120, Diwan Sahib Garden, TTK Road, Royapettah, Chennai – 600014 Mobile: 9940454306 (Refer White Honda City Doctor)

2. Praba at POP Car accessories, Chennai (Refer - Thamil inian)
Refer & Read Here: Honda Amaze EMT iDTEC - Extraordinary!!

3. Skilled Group: There are some groups at Chennai got skilled team associated with specific shops at GP Road, Chennai, who are also doing Electrical /Car accessories fittings. One such group is there at Egmore / Mount road signal area near electricity board. Once I went there for my friend Honda Amaze parking sensor fitting. They do a good job, only issue that they are tree shade technicians. The team leader is Madhan, Mobile No. 9841157245.

SHARK FIN ANTENNA

You check up with the seller before placing the order for UT color as they can make and send to you. Even black color will look good in your car, if you don’t like, then paint it.

Newest design special car With blank radio shark fin antenna signal shark fin with 3M adhesive for VW polo Bora-in Aerials from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com

GOOD PAINTER

I have no experience with outside painter. But as per one of our forum friend who painted his spoiler nicely, this person is good at Chennai. Prefer a painter who does in a room and protects all other areas before painting as spray particles will spoil the look of the car if falls on other neat areas. It will be worst especially on lamp assemblies.

Read Here: (Refer: HariHaran Bhoopathy)

@ Friends / Forum members at Chennai
Please suggest if you know some better auto people at Chennai.​

Top Bottom