My New Honda City in White - The Albus

Hello

@ CRACING

"sounds" are very difficult to describe and diagnose over the Internet.
Yeah you are right but I couldn't even hear it accurately either. :p

I would jack the car up, take the wheels up /off and listen/inspect where the sound comes from.

We have to rule........................
Thanks for the detailed replay and link you provided.

I didn't took the wheels off but on visual checkup, I couldn't see any unusually things. I took a ride again today morning and driven till 80ish but there was no noise whatsoever. Even tested in bad roads to check suspension.

Strange, I believe it was just the sound of water hitting under body, mud flaps and etc.

However, this month I'm giving my car for servicing. so will tell them to perform, wheel checkups (i.e balancing, alignment & etc) and related things. At least it will clear my mind. :)

received the LED fog lamp but unfortunately not satisfied with the brightness since i think the brightness is too dull...[cry]
thinking of buying white halogen h11 12v 55w 6000k bulb..is it ok?

however, feeling satisfied with myself since i managed to change the fog lamp myself just referring to the car manual..some sort of individual achievement[:)]
Aren't 6000k halogen be bluish for you? Stock is around 3000k I suppose. 4000 to 5000k will be better but doesn't make much different in terms of light it throws and anything above is just for looks and will also reduce light. @Dr MUDHAN please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also checkout HIDs but they will be expensive and needs bit more wiring.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:
Thread Starter #407

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Hello.... Aren't 6000k halogen be bluish for you? Stock is around 3000k I suppose. 4000 to 5000k will be better but doesn't make much different in terms of light it throws and anything above is just for looks and will also reduce light. @Dr MUDHAN please correct me if I'm wrong.
Also checkout HIDs but they will be expensive and needs bit more wiring.Thanks...
Best Regards
You are right CRACING. 6000k will be little bluish. HIDs would not only be expensive but whether will it suit the fog housing?

111859d1381500504-my-new-honda-city-white-albus-car-led-5.jpg

You are right CRACING. 6000k will be little bluish. HIDs would not only be expensive but whether will it suit the fog housing?

HID are expensive if we buy branded like philips, osram and etc. China hids will be cheep but I doubt about its durability. The bulb as well as ballast. I have have heard many bad reviews online when I was looking to buy china hid bulb + ballast for headlight and the philips h4 hid kit was more then Rs. 10k. Instead I bought philips halogen h4 5000k. Whenever these bulb burn out, I get 4300k crystal vision. [:)]

Yeah H11 Hid looks long. I didn't thought about that.

However sapidin has to get it fitted locally from car parts shop so they can check whether they fit otherwise they will refund.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Thread Starter #409

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
PART XXXVII:

MY ALBUS GETS NEW & NEWER TYPE WIPER BLADES!

It’s time for me to change the wiper blades. I wanted to go with something better. Wiper is one part of the automobile which I feel never under went much transformation in design

I was attracted towards the new design of wiper blades – the soft, frameless type. I thought it would give an elegant look as well.

Actually I felt difficult to source the right wiper I wanted.

I wanted as replacement to my HONDA OE - NWB (Nippon Wiper Blade). The dealer had old wipers, opened packs and no new type and are expensive there.

The aftermarket ones are of different length and priced cheap from unknown generic brands like GM /JK/AERO to expensive premium brands like BOSCH / HELLA.

II understood that the right size/length for ANHC (3GEN) is 23.8 /14.8 inches i.e., driver/passenger side respectively.

UNKNOWN UNBRANDED/GENERIC BRANDS:

The unknown generic brands are really cheap, being sold @ Rs. 300/- . I don't know how these wipers are, but at the price they're being sold makes good value if it lasts two monsoons at least. They are not definitely suitable for cars always parked under hot sun as the quality of the rubber will not with stand & get deformed.

PREMIUM BRANDS:

They are usually expensive, but worth the cost and investment since they last for quite a long time provided if we know how to maintain them.

The famous and proven products in India are from BOSCH & HELLA. I really tried to get original Bosch Clear Advantage (which replaced their expensive Aero twin) and could not find one online or from a reliable local shop. Some so called authorized Bosch service centers ready to give me a pair of clear advantage lying lose with them. The only on line site claimed to have them is New cars | New Bikes | Car on road price | Used autos | automobile in India | Vicky.in ; but I feel sceptical over this site.

I don’t trust a product without a proper manufacturing information label. Therefore, Left with only Hella - Dyna edge Wiper Blades from SNAPDEAL and got it.

HELLA DynaEdge Wiper Blade

The seller called me and checked with me the model & size. The wipers were wrapped in layers of bubble wrap by bulbous packing; the box/packing of the wipers was somewhat crushed in middle during transit. Anyway, thanks to much better wrapping by both Hella (including protective sheath for the rubber blade, and the vendor, the wipers were safe.

Made by Hella, CHINA. Of course, I should not expect from Europe. Nowadays the Americans & Europeans are clever, and to keep their environment clean, they have shifted foundry / vulcanization based activities to Asian countries.

HELLA DynaEdge Wiper Blade is their flat blade series with integrated steel spine and joint-less single piece assembly,the integrated spoilers at both ends looks attractive, gives optimum downward force to prevent wind lift & noise.

HELLA DynaBlade - YouTube

071834.jpg

073055.jpg

20140414_094248.jpg

20140414_094323.jpg

MY OBSERVATIONS:

Pros:

Flexible blades looks upmarket than the regular framed wipers!

They are Poly carbonate; graphite coated, tropicalized to perform in all weathers and temperatures & withstands –16 to +54 degree Celsius. The design is cute with spoilers at both the ends.

The installation was so easy than the removal of OE one. I followed for removal of the old blades the steps from the following video, applicable for clip/hook type (as there is Pin type connector for other cars.)

How to Replace Windshield Wipers on Your Car- Replacing Wiper Blades - YouTube

Trial run using the windshield wash seems to indicate all is fine. They are very good - Wipes streak free and they're silent than the OE blades.

The blades hold 100% on the glass surface, leaving no gap under its contact as expected as from a professional one. The pressure is obviously being very well distributed across the wiper blade structure.

Cons:

They are expensive@ Rs.1106/-

Handling while cleaning the windshield and resetting over the glass requires extra care. It’s not that easy like an OE to lift. We have to properly hold up it, at least the 24’ longer one to clean the underneath windshield glass area.

I can’t say the finish is of 100% perfection. Some area the surface is rough may be due the rubber finish, but over all very good.

Expected Life cycle, of course, the real conclusion can only be drawn with time.

TIPS & SUGGESTIONS

A good wiper is a must but we have to remember that they need to be looked after too.

Carefully select the right size.

Don’t keep the wiper "up" when the car parked in the sun; it can easily get deformed than on the glass.

Clean the wiper blades with damp cloth whenever they are dirty and make it a point to clean them properly every time the car is washed. Clean the blade by wiping it with a soft MF cloth soaked in windscreen washer solution, if needed.

Always ensure that the windscreen washer solvent reservoir is full so you can use your wipers to clear your view when driving.

Only use the recommended windshield washer solution from dealer or a reputed product like ’ Sonax - Clear view’ / as it is noted ( caution) that the washer nozzle area in ANHC bonnet will be prone for rust if poor quality solutions are used.

If car has come from accidental repair/painting, please doubly ensure that the windshield glass surface is clean. If glass is rough due to paint /thinner spray, it will create juddering
of blades and damage them.

Harden, deformed blade rubber can easily cause noise & Lines, Bands, Unwashed Margins over windscreen.

If any time the rubber blade gets prolapsed in sides in conventional frame type, immediately change the blades to prevent accidental metal frame scratches on the windshield.

If after cleaning your windscreen using the windscreen washer, your wiper blades do not clear the windscreen effectively then it's possibly time to replace your windscreen wipers.

Inspection of wiper arm, wiper motor should not be ignored if the problem repeats with newer blades.

TRENDS IN WIPER TECHNOLOGY:

Mercedes Benz has introduced modified wiper technology which you can see from this video.​

MAGIC VISION CONTROL -- Mercedes-Benz Windshield Wipers - YouTube

Research is on Windshield Wipers, may be replaced by a new technology which aims to shake off the water on the windshield using ultrasonic vibrations. The elimination of the wiper will also reduce the weight of the car not so much but still sufficient to make it fuel efficient as the wiper motor assay is one among the heavy component of the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

During the last monsoon I realised I'm running with those badly worn out wiper blades which was already 4+ years old. Since it was heavily raining I was forced myself to get a new set of wiper blades from the nearest MASS itself.(I was planning to get Aerotwin instead). Anyways after the replacement of wiper blades I got to purchase rainwater repellent product which is really effective and durable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfOZtQGoZso

Sir, I request you to have a look into my thread on rain water repellent product.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/product-reviews/15591-proklear-nano-anti-glare-rain-shield-treatment-windshield.html#post350052

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #411

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@Dr MUDHAN

Excellent, it feels so good to read your new guides each time you release. :)

I too was looking to replace my cars current wipers but was confused with size of the blades. I checked with Bosch but in there catalog size for Honda city was different then what I measured.

What I measured is 15" & 24" and they had 14" & 24", same as yours. Will they be ok? or I have measured incorrectly? also those cheap G M soft wiper blades in snapdeal are 15" & 24", same as what I measured. This is what makes me confused.

I could buy those G M soft wiper blades but I'm afraid how well they wipe the screen, durability is secondary.

BTW; the new technology in Mercedes Benz is nearly same as technology used in our Tata Nano. Just that Nano has two nozzles up & down within the wiper and Mercedes Benz has small holes to spray water. [:D]

But the rubber tube used to make water flow from water pump to wiper is delicate in the Tata Nano. They have made double coating but still it would cut and leak after many uses so a better quality rubber tube is must for such technology.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:
Thread Starter #413

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@ CRACING

Thanks
The correct size of the ANHC (3RD GEN) wipers are

Driver side: 23.8 inches (60.5 cms)

Passenger side: 14.8 inches (37.5 cms)

I think, it should be OK to have 15 inches as the driver side is less than 24 inches actually.

ANHC WIPERS.jpg
ANHC 2.jpg

@ CRACING

Thanks
The correct size of the ANHC (3RD GEN) wipers are

Driver side: 23.8 inches (60.5 cms)

Passenger side: 14.8 inches (37.5 cms)

I think, it should be OK to have 15 inches as the driver side is less than 24 inches actually.​

Hmm so my measurement was correct. Thanks for the detailed pictures. Will contact again to Bosch for Aerotwin wiper blades, this weekend. [:)]

btw; Have you made guide/info about OBD devices? i.e ELM327 I tried to search and couldn't find.

Thanks...
Best Regards​

Last edited:
Thread Starter #415

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
PART XXXVIII:

CARS & RATS - HOW DID I OVERCOME THE MENACE?

I heard my colleague talking to somebody over a motor insurance claim.

The car –Skoda Rapid
The claim - for reimbursement of wiring harness: amount Rs.80000/-
Cause – Rat bite!!!

The discussion was going on and at last my company settled the claim, treating it as uncertainty and an accident, just because the customer was holding a comprehensive policy. If it is only a minimum third party policy cover or a policy from an insurance company where there is a fine print of ‘Exclusion: Rodent Menace’, the customer would have missed this benefit.

Yes. I started thinking that I should be extra careful about MY ALBUS, as we know that it would cost a bomb if such contingency arise in our ANHC.

But, as usual I forgot.

Oh my god!

The shock came to me one day when I happened to open the bonnet for general inspection and removal of dead leaves. I was really shocked to see some piece of chicken fingers and nails, crushed bone powder over engine & battery area.

I understood, the culprit is our rat friend. But, from where he gets the chicken flesh?

I called our canteen manager and asked him about the disposal of kitchen waste. He declared that they never buy full chicken or with legs, buy only the dressed meat.

My brain got breaking, then how could it happen to my car.

I found out that there is a meat shop outside nearby our compound, and the crows lift the garbage and come inside our compound as it has lot of trees and shade to enjoy their meal and the left drop outs are for our rat friend.

Rats love Car engine bays as it is dark, warm place with a lot of crevices and nooks, to hide themselves and enjoy their food. They are happy chewing on our car cables & wires to sharpen their teeth.

I know it that all these are of out of my control.

About Rats What You May Not Know!

Rats are clever, tough animals and notoriously trap shy. Though rat don't have canine teeth, their teeth are harder than steel and they can go longer without water than a camel and can fall some five stories without injuries. They are color-blind, but generally pick out the wires coated with blue plastic insulation.

Rats have excellent memories. Once they learn a navigation route, they won’t forget it. Only the happy rat start coming again & again to the car.

These villain creatures smartened over the years. They tend to build up certain immunities to chemicals.

So what is working for one car owner will not work on rats in another area.

What I Practice To Prevent It.

Frantically searched internet.

There were many solutions but nothing concrete to say that would be the answer.

I decided to find something simple which will work for me. I cleaned the spoiled engine area and sprayed WD40. Took one old can of my car perfume, filled with good quality naphthalene balls and closed with grill cover, pasted with DS tape inside the engine bay, over a safe area. Cleaned the car parking floor with phenol solution and left the car.

Next day I was anxious to know whether my criminal friend has come back, opened the bonnet, examined carefully, no trace of his visit, closed the bonnet with a sigh of relief!

I continue to inspect every day and change the naphtha balls once in 15 days and spray WD 40 over his lovable locations once in a month after every car wash.

Touchwood he stopped visiting so far.

RAT IN CAR.jpg

RAT IN CAR 3.jpg

RAT IN CAR 2.jpg

What Others Practice To Prevent It.

I just list out the various methods adopted by car owners across the world (Yes, our rat friend is world famous!) Along with my comments for information:

• Keeping mothballs which is apparently repugnant to rat olfactory receptors. But needs a good quality one like made by Bengal chemicals, should melt & evaporate. Start changing every week, then every fortnight.
• Keeping tobacco – one should be careful in buying the good pungent tobacco leafs in India. Moisten tobacco works better! Many places it has a fishy odor, avoid such one as it will attract our friend rather than to repel.
• Keeping cotton soaked with peppermint oil- very effective, original one is really expensive.
• Leave car bonnet lid open under light, eliminating the darkness and privacy sought -provided if it is a secured place otherwise, thief will have eye over your battery.
• RAT poison – very dangerous, if the rats dies within the car or inside AC passage. Also dangerous for pets & children.
• Keeping a dog or cat - may help to keep mouse like pests away, though if the cat gets into an engine, it's bad for everyone..... worst for the cat! And the experience I had with my beloved dog in my earlier car, he made nail art all over the car body while trying to catch the rat…!!
• Electronic devices used to repel rats - needs constant current from battery. How far our friend will be afraid of the music, we don’t know! ( Buy Ultrasonic Electronic Auto (Car) Rat Repellent & Repeller Online - Varna Suraksha) The battery usage is also a concern, can easily drain out on sparingly used cars.
• Little bundle of dog hair, cat fur or even human hair clippings has the power to repel the nuisances - Very unhygienic! Carelessness may make it to get into rotating/ sucking part of the car.
• Organic rat repellant - comparatively less effective.
• Rat guard spray, expensive, some claim to be working.
• Spraying diesel- We know that not good for every component in the bonnet.
• If rat comes inside the cabin, avoid fruit smelling car perfume.
• Red fox urine, as it creates an illusion that a fox is present in the garden and scares away – no comments ha ha..

Some Suggestions:

Observe your car’s engine bay closely, at least once a week by opening the bonnet, in broad daylight. Inspect thoroughly as Rats leave their marks, like most animals, by urinating at many places, their urine, which is neutral to human nose, will keep on attracting them. In such cases seek for professional cleaning.

Don’t make your car a dining table. Always clear all foodstuff from your car. This will ensure rats are not attracted to the car. Remember Rats can eat chocolate.

Change your parking spot, at least for a week and completely disinfect by phenol solution your parking spot.

In your presence, keep hood open for some time in a ventilated area, to allow maximum light and air to pass through.

Tie any loose wires with fasteners, black insulation tape (don’t use Red or Blue colored one)

Get some wire mesh to seal off fresh-air vents to the cabin, if your car does not have it.

If you park in a garage or in the basement of your apartment, make sure any nearby drains and the floor under the car is sprayed with industrial phenyl. Don't park the car very near to wall, leave space as possible.

Many of these listed items are having mild to moderate inflammable property. Avoid keeping nearby engine /spark plugs.

We have to careful in winter as warm engine @cold outside temperature welcomes our friend.

Ensure the outside air mode is closed while the car is parked.

Get your interiors cleaned thoroughly, regularly.

I have left out to comment about some funny stuff claimed by car owners like pepper spray, chili powder, chili sauce, Black pepper powder …. Of Course our friend is not invited for dinner. He He…...

Hello sir :)
My ANHC has already been effected by rats!! One of my turn indicator stopped working!!
Culprit was a rat. My previous building was infested with rats and almost every car owner was troubled. So we all found a common solution to the problem.
TOBACCO ehehehehe If its harmful to mukesh(advisory at theatres these days) why not for the rat.
So we placed 2-3 pouches of tobacco tied to the parts under the bonnet. Result - not been affected by rats again till date [evil]

Nice guide once again. You go so deep in everything, of course a doctor is doctor. :)

naphthalene balls are very common but they just smell and won't help. May be there are lots of fakes around. TOBACCO is better because they cannot make fakes since people eat them and it should be strong & pure.

However, I have a cat as a part of my family member and I have no worries about rats but that doesn't mean the cat keeps watch on all places instead it watches kitchen room much better. :p

Thanks for reminding me regarding this issue, yet I haven't faced such but to be safe, soon I'm gonna put some tobacco under-hood.

btw; I see you use WD40 all the time, how well does it work for you? I too use it but not frequently. because I have read plenty of reviews of it and most of them say its a useless product. First the company states its a lube but actually it isn't. It just makes the surface dry (water/oil free). so we need the real lube to finish the job. Some even say it creates rust instead of preventing it.

I see there are much better products from 3M and other brands, what do you say?

Thanks again...
Best Regards

Thread Starter #419

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@ CRACING

… Have you made guide/info about OBD devices? i.e. ELM327 I tried to search and couldn't find.
1. On-board Diagnostics Devices - I am exploring it. It needs to know a lot of car science. I don’t know whether I can make it. I am little afraid, I should not wrongly manipulate the ECU software! Let us see.

Nice guide once again. You go so deep in everything, of course a doctor is doctor. :)
Naphthalene balls are very common but they just smell and won't help. May be there are lots of fakes around. TOBACCO is better because they cannot make fakes since people eat them and it should be strong & pure…
BTW; I see you use WD40 all the time, how well does it work for you? I too use it but not frequently. Because I have read plenty of reviews of it and most of them say it’s a useless product. First the company states it’s a lube but actually it isn't. It just makes the surface dry (water/oil free). So we need the real lube to finish the job. Some even say it creates rust instead of preventing it.
I see there are much better products from 3M and other brands, what do you say? .

2. Thanks, CRACING. I honestly feel every time I write something here, it should give one stop solution as far as possible, without wasting the reader’s time as what happens in many of the other thread /postings , exploring the wanted information through unnecessary chats & dialogues.

Regarding Naphthalene balls or Tobacco - They are simply available ones and have antagonistic effect on rats. As long as we are going to get the good quality and found having definite effect, we can keep them in the car. These should be fresh and smelling, need periodical replenishment. I have noted in some forum that rat had torn the tobacco pouch and shattered, probably the car owner would have forgotten to keep the fresh one.

Regarding WD40 – Where did you notice Dear that I am using all the time!

I have mentioned during –

(1) After every car wash (Page 4 / 2nd October 2013, 02:18 PM) over corroding McPherson strut bolt. (2) WD-40 mixed with water as tar remover over paint & Unstick gooey residue from stickers. (3) Cleaning of battery terminals (4) Cleaning the Rat marks to mask the odor.

This is the first time I am hearing that ‘most of them say it’s a useless product’ & BUT I will never say that it is totally a useless one.

One should know where and when to spray.

Agreed, it’s lousy as a lube because it is not an oil, but it's wonderful as a cleaner.

The chemist Norm Larsen could discover this formula - WD40 (Water Displacer, on his 40th try.)

WD-40 aerosol indicates the product is primarily petroleum-based, with the main ingredient being solvent naphtha petroleum, medium aliphatic, > 60% +petroleum base oil as paraffinic distillate, heavy, solvent-dewaxed, 15% to 25% +corrosion inhibitor unregulated, 1% to 10% +wetting agent unregulated 1% to 10% +fragrance unregulated 0% to 1% +carbon dioxide, 2% to 3%

One among the culprit for corrosion is water and oxygen which are taken care of. Practically, it is a better preventive than remedy for corrosion. No spray on earth can loosen a badly corroded & bonded bolt & nut!

Many of the uses of WD40 floating over internet are the opinion of the users, but actually the manufacturer's site limits use of the product.

Whenever it is sprayed whether on door hinges or for the purpose of cleaning the area, it should be wiped off as the coat may attract dust, evaporate on hot surfaces, may damage cheap plastics.

Refer: WD-40 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wurth Corrosion Protection Spray is good as an alternative to WD40 as a lube supplemented with corrosion guard in exposed areas like the trim tab pump and engine mounts. I have to check the 3M product.

anti-corrosion-protection-sprays-18878-5329363.jpg

@ anu87

I happen to see an advertisement in WHATCAR? Magazine to avoid rats and the link is below Rat repellent for cars | Autoguard Spray protects car from rats Experts please comment on it
I have noted from users that it works and available @ Release ON RAT Guard Premium Spray FOR Cars | eBay
But I don’t know how far it is safe to car components.

@ CRACING
1. On-board Diagnostics Devices - I am exploring it. It needs to know a lot of car science. I don’t know whether I can make it. I am little afraid, I should not wrongly manipulate the ECU software! Let us see..
No, I actually I wanted only basics of it. I would like to buy a cheap ELM327 but I don't know whether they work for ANHC. Did you tried it?

I need it to check errors, supplementary vehicle instrumentation and if find one isn't Functioning properly, I can forward to service center.

2. Thanks, CRACING. I honestly feel every time I write something here, it should give one stop solution as far as possible,....
Thats right. [:)]

Regarding Naphthalene balls or Tobacco - They are simply available ones and have antagonistic effect on rats.......
Oh thats worst then we have to keep watch on Tobacco pouch and replace when required. Tobacco is banned in my state, no idea where I can it get it now. There are some but mixed with other ingredients.

Regarding WD40 – Where did you notice Dear that I am using all the time!

I have mentioned during.....
Sorry, I should have written "most of places" instead of all the time. i.e screws, cleaning muffler tip, McPherson strut bolts, tyre valves and can be used on many other places as you stated in "Exhaustive Guide: Car Detailing Basics" thread.

Its easy to use and inexpensive but I feel is its not at all a all-in-one remedy. Its better to use for cleaning rather then protecting because in most of guides I hear it. After all, its a fuel based which dries very fast

i.e Door hinges, it will stop the squeaking, but it comes back after a while so its better to topup with a real lube or grease. Just like polishing a car then waxing.

Those that say it creates rust instead of preventing seems correct because WD40 makes the surface bare which attracts rust so it needs a anti-rust coating.

And others who say its a useless product have been using it as rust preventing rather then cleaning.

WD40 is for limited usage but people made it unlimited usages. [evil] Now that WD40 understood the fails information and has been started mentioning on their website. Here.

Sure, take your time finding 3M products. I see they too have good products for different tasks but never tried them.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Last edited:

Top Bottom