My New Honda City in White - The Albus

Thread Starter #376

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Dr. Mudhan let me start off by conveying my appreciation and joy that your review has given me. The detailing of how you how you went about touching up your car with a lil modification here a minor change there and the thought process behind it is simply humbling. Your appreciation for the rupee also makes your thread one of the most grounded threads or perhaps the most grounded thread i Have read. I joined this forum only to say that you are an inspiration and I pray your many others too use your thread as a base on how one goes about stating to the world their love for cars. In too many other threads in other forums i find that beyond a point either the thread starter looses the plot about the car being the reason for people reading such threads and tend to use the thread as a forum to display literary writing skills or show love for the car through blatant and at times painful spending! Yours though my dear Dr is the best one till date. Has everything ironic humour, genuine useful information and a purity of purpose that shines ever so brightly from page 1 to this page 26. its been an honour to read your thread so far.

Oops I own a Honday City March 2013 Automatic And while going through several threads about ownership experienjces I ran into yours! My car has covered 7000 kms so far and is giving me a about 8.5 kms to the litre. I was hoping to see if there was anybody else facing this situation. I was actually under the assumption that I could get at least 10-11 kms to the litre, A/c is always on'!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello friends,

I gave a SMD led bulb to my friend for his bike (parking light) but it burnt within a week. Since the bulbs on bikes work from engine power rather then battery, at least in his Honda Unicorn bike, rise in power makes the resister or smd blow. Same incident had happened on my previous vehicle, TATA Nano. I guess on higher end vehicles, there will be a relay, power surge or something like that to keep voltage under limit (i.e 12v) for the safety of bulbs and electronic equipment.

Anyways, Dissembled that burnt SMD bulb and lucky only the resister was burnt but couldn't read its ohms, however, used new 100 ohm resister and got it working. Attaching a snapshot below. :)

On the other hand, an bad incident happened today, I had gone outside and had parked my car road side for few mins. Since temperature is too high here and my car had got very hot. Pity on our govt, when they gonna plant trees! I came back and turned on the car, the music system display didn't show anything but I could play music. I touched the panel and it was too much hot and I though it got ruined. Moved the vehicle to nearby trees and shadow to let the vehicle cool down. Later after few mins, I checked again and fortunately the display started working again. Pff, next time I'm never gonna park my car in direct sun otherwise I will carry a thick rug and put above the center console. :p

Its a warning for all you guys too, please be careful when parking your vehicle under sun light.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Attachments

Thread Starter #380

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Dr. Mudhan let me start off by conveying my appreciation and joy that your review has given me. … Yours though my dear Dr is the best one till date. Has everything ironic humor, genuine useful information and a purity of purpose that shines ever so brightly from page 1 to this page 26. it’s been an honor to read your thread so far.
Dear Mr.Swamy

It is heartwarming to note every word of your of appreciation & really you have touched me.

Sometimes, even my wife pinch me and say that now a days I am carried away by this blog; when I read out your lines to her, she smiled at me and that smile made me to realize that I am doing something useful in others life. Of course, I did / do for lives but this is in other dimension.

This is thanksgiving to a special person like you, mean you are energizing me.

We may try to explore more about ANHC AT mileage part. I make a request to our forum friends who are visiting regularly this thread to help to get some idea for a better mileage.

I personally feel that if the mileage you mentioned is @ Bangalore City driving, it is acceptable.
Even I get in manual gear only 8.5 to 11 in Chennai city with AC always on and as you know it is certainly depend upon our driving route, habits & the average km covered in a well-tuned (ECU) CAR.

With Warm Regards
Dr MUDHAN

Oops I own a Honday City March 2013 Automatic And while going through several threads about ownership experienjces I ran into yours! My car has covered 7000 kms so far and is giving me a about 8.5 kms to the litre. I was hoping to see if there was anybody else facing this situation. I was actually under the assumption that I could get at least 10-11 kms to the litre, A/c is always on'!

Hello Mr. Swamy, Kindly note my point regarding the average. As you said your car is of March 2013 and since you drove the car for only 7000 KM's that is indicate that in almost a year time you drove the car for significantly lesser time which is not a problem.

But when you start the car it takes some time to reach optimal temperature conditions, in that period engine run at higher RMP which results in more fuel burning and if you drove car for a shorter period on daily basis then this things affect most on the average figures.

Myself facing this issue, my MT car gives me the average figure of 9 to 10 KMPL in moderate traffic conditions if I drove for shorter period and the Odometer reading of car is identical to your car so considering your AT i think this figures are fine. But in long run which are on highway you can expect around 15KMPL mileage easily and if it's not happening then there is reason to worry.

So observe those condition and you will know what is truth. [:)] And remember that the average curve on the Honda cars is very stiff. Drive them in gentle way they give you mind blowing average and if drove them like enthusiasts drove don't look at the figures at all.

Thread Starter #382

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@ CRACING

CAR CARE TIPS - PARKING UNDER HOT SUN​

Regarding this, shall I suggest something, which I am adopting?

1. If there is no shade, if possible try to park the car so that the sun comes in the back window; at least that way the front dash, steering wheel, and seats don't get hot.

2. Vent the Windows- I've used is to crack (leave a very little gap) the windows about a half-inch to allow some airflow.

3. If you cover the front dashboard / steering side or any other place inside the car to protect from ultra violet rays, always cover with white Turkish towel & don’t use any synthetic material.

FOR INFORMATION ONLY:

My friend who is in Middle East says about another method to tackle heat. It is about Kulcar Solar Powered Panel Car Cooler Ventilator. The small device houses a solar panel that when triggered, powers a fan that helps to exchange hot air from inside the car for cooler air outside. I don’t feel that it will work out for us as it is expensive & safeguarding it from parked cars is another problem in India.

Kulcar | Solar Powered Car Ventilator

Made in Taiwan: Kulcar - Solar Car Cooler - YouTube

Another cheap gadget available in ebay.in / AE as well , which can be tried but not sure about the quality :

FOOT NOTE TO CRACING
Hello friends,

I gave a SMD led bulb to my friend for his bike (parking light) but it burnt within a week. .. Dissembled that burnt SMD bulb and lucky only the resister was burnt ...and got it working.
Great. You could revive the life of the bulb by repairing the resistor. I have seen many bikes with such LEDs, I don’t know how they manage.

Thread Starter #383

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@Varun560061

Are you asking about my ALBUS - SKUNK-2 KNOB, which I purchased from here?

KYLIN STORE Sk2 (M10*1.5) Racing Five Speed Car Shift Knobs Gear lever Shift Lever For Honda civic-in Mounts & Holder from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com

Please read my complete posting @ SKUNK-2 KNOBS (PAGE 4 / 5th October 2013, 10:16 PM)

You will note that there is nothing called ‘universal ‘and the thread size compatibility is important. In the so called ‘universal’ type they provide some extra thread adopters which you should check up before purchase as it is not advisable to alter the thread of the OE rod.

@ HaruH

Hello Mr. Swamy, Kindly note my point regarding the average. …
Myself facing this issue, my MT car gives me the average figure of 9 to 10 KMPL in moderate traffic conditions if I drove for shorter … Drive them in gentle way they give you mind blowing average …

Thanks HaruH. As usual you are with me.

I absolutely agree with you, we can get best out of Electronic Throttle Control (fly by wire) technology. Of course I too yet to enjoy! [;)]

Myself facing this issue, my MT car gives me the average figure of 9 to 10 KMPL in moderate traffic conditions if I drove for shorter period and the Odometer reading of car is identical to your car so considering your AT i think this figures are fine. But in long run which are on highway you can expect around 15KMPL mileage easily and if it's not happening then there is reason to worry.

Dear Haru,

Thanks for the reply and the worry I have had at the back of my head that something may be seriously wrong with my car, has gone. I have not had the time to take the Honda out for a long drive, hence still so not know what the Mileage on the highway would be. Iit's my wife's car which she takes to work daily- up and down may come to 22 kms. Peak hour traffic up and down. Your explanation Gives me comfort and pushes away that niggling feeling that there is something wrong!

It may appear that I am using your words initially just an error as I'm new to writing in forums as I only normally read! I was trying to quote your response to my message. Thanks once again!

Last edited:
Dear Haru,

Thanks for the reply and the worry I have had at the back of my head that something may be seriously wrong with my car, has gone. I have not had the time to take the Honda out for a long drive, hence still so not know what the Mileage on the highway would be. Iit's my wife's car which she takes to work daily- up and down may come to 22 kms. Peak hour traffic up and down. Your explanation Gives me comfort and pushes away that niggling feeling that there is something wrong!

It may appear that I am using your words initially just an error as I'm new to writing in forums as I only normally read! I was trying to quote your response to my message. Thanks once again!

No worries Mr.Swamy, you have deleted that QUOTE phrases that why it appears like that.

Ok so my prediction is right, In a day your car gets engine gets heated for 2 times only and that is also for very short period of time and considering heavy traffic conditions your getting proper average for AT car.

So just enjoy your car when you'll get time and don't think that there is some problem. [:)]

@Dr MUDHAN It's all because of your fantastic thread that many of us gets benefited. [:)]

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
hii DR mudhan , i have read your thread many times , have suggested your thread to many members but i don't like to visit here.

reason : after reading i so want to order all those things you ordered online [clap] [:D] this thread is just awesome.

anyways i was thinking of changing the reverse lights for my verna.

Shop solaris online Gallery - Buy solaris for unbeatable low prices on AliExpress.com

many items but all use the same images [anger] so was wondering which one to order. and yeah i looked at your reply 376 but i don't know if these are universal or something specific to a car.

and i'd also like to order interior lights for my car. (3 bulbs) you yourself tried so many lights so wanted to know the perfect led to fit.

should this be a problem ?
depending on your vehicle electric circuit, you may need to add a pair of load resistors to prevent hyper/error flashing or malfunction problem.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #387

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@ allhyundaicars

SOMETHING ABOUT HYUNDAI VERNA NUMBER PLATE BULB

Dr MUDHAN , I have read your thread many times , have suggested your thread to many members but I don't like to visit here…. Reason: after reading I so want to order all those things you ordered online [clap] [:D] this thread is just awesome. …..I was thinking of changing the reverse lights for my Verna…….
Your first line gave me a shock and then it was a pleasant shock to me as you wanted. [lol]

Thanks for everything.

Coming to your queries:

You mentioned that you wanted to change reverse light but the link indicates number plate lamp. I hope you meant only number plate bulbs for you.

As you know the bulbs are universal. But any specific assembly / socket should be custom made to replace as plug and play. In this case, I understand, you want to replace stock bulb to led one. I assume OE Verna bulb comes here with fixed adopter and as such the bulb can’t be separated. If this is correct go far this as it is nicely custom made, no warranty issue too.

VERNA BULB.jpg

VERNA BULB2.jpg

Retailers from aliexpress buy from one manufacture and price the product according to the profit margin they want, and the price also depends upon the color you choose, shipping, single/pair or multiple numbers.

I find this seller is the cheapest as on date as the price for 1pair is US $6.99 (Approximately Rs. 439.05) for white color with free shipping to India.

Hyundai Solaris Verna license plate lamp 5 5050 license plate lamp T10 Hyundai Solaris Verna adapted for a pair-in License Plate Lights from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com

I don’t find the product in ebay.com, as always I counter check, would be cheaper sometimes!

Check, if the bulb can be removed from your original socket, buy only the bulb which is still cheaper and you can get from any auto accessory shop or ebay.in.

Regarding interior lights for your car, tell me what your exact requirement is. With the bulb specification and knowing the available space we can get the best match.

We need not worry about 'error free/load resistor bulbs' and I don’t think so it would be an issue for Verna (ANHC has no problem). This is an issue with luxury cars, may be more with imported ones.

Regards
Dr MUDHAN

Last edited:
Thread Starter #388

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
PART XXXVI:

MY ALBUS - HOW I RESOLVED THE MUSTY AC / BLOWER ODOUR!

Every morning when I started My ALBUS noticed some musty smell when I switched on the blower @ the compressor / AC in off mode. Also noted that this stale & unclean smell slowly disappeard after switching on the AC. (I have kept no vent perfume to mask the truth!)

I felt that there is something unhygienic and started exploring engine bay & inside the cabin with a fear whether there is any rodent / vermin menace. Nothing I could find out.

When I told the ASS guy, he told me that I should disinfect the AC channel every six month and he did it by charging around Rs.600/- during service time. The chemical odour was so strong for few days and disappeared later.

But the ‘musty’ problem not solved. It started coming again.

I was little worried as I had never come across this kind of problem in my earlier cars and why this to my ANHC (FL3G)?

That made me searching @ researching!

I found out the reason and re-solved the issue and I want to share with you all, that’s interesting!

REASON:

The musty smell is caused by mold in our AC system, because we shut the engine off while the air conditioner was still running. That allows the natural water present in the air as humidity to condense in the cool AC evaporator and ductwork system. That moisture is a nice warm and dark place for mold to grow. Mold is a fungus like growth what we see in old rotten bread loaf.

It is common in cars used short run, humid areas, never exposed to sun & always parked under shed.

PREVENTION:

1. The best way to prevent it is to turn off the AC a minute or so before we arrive at our destination to allow the entire system to reach ambient air temperature and prevent the condensation. No condensation means no water means no mold!

2. Whenever we get a chance make sure to intake air from outside as closed recirculated air favours fungal growth faster than air from outside.

3. Periodical HOT AIR CLEANSE is always good. After driving around 30 minutes, park the car in a safe clean area with engine running in neutral. Set the circulation to outside air and the AC temperature to hottest setting. Windows to roll up, step out outside and allow it to run for 10 - 15 minutes. The hot air passes over the fin and kills the mold / most of the bacteria.

HOW TO GET RID OF IT:

A. Since I could identify in the beginning, I could do it easily. Just I cleaned the CABIN AIR FILTER* & started following the preventive procedures as above.
(*The cleaning procedures adopted are given below.)

But if it’s not making much difference, we should adopt to any of the following methods.

B.
DIY:
Using an AC - DEODORISER.

Ensure you move your vehicle to a well-ventilated area.
Only few choices are available in India – ABRO, GULF & 3M.
Some are meant for single fumigating application & some can be sprayed or injected. The inject & flush type comes with a long flexible pipe that can penetrate deep into the vents.
We can see the procedures through these videos.

C. If nothing resolves, the only way to really clean it is to remove the evaporator and ductwork from the car, which would be a big job.

GUIDELINES FOR ANHC CABIN AIR FILTER CLEANING

Cabin air filter is used to filter out dust and debris from coming into the passenger compartment to keep the air healthy & several factors determine how often the filter needs to be replaced, such as driving conditions, dusty roads.

PROCEDURE ADOPTED.

SUMMARY:

Open Glove Box- Remove all the contents -Push In Side Walls- Lower Glove Box To Floor- Note Blower Motor Housing- Push Filter Cover Clips In- Slide Out Cabin Filter Tray- Note White Papery Cabin Air Filter In Tray- Remove Element From Tray- Remember Air Flow Direction Indicator- Vacuum Air Cleaning- Replace Filter Element In Tray - Slide In Cabin Filter Tray- Snap Side Clips Into Place- Glove Box Rubber Stops Pushed In- Test Glove Box Operation- Close Glove Box.

1.jpg

2.1.jpg

2.2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Be sure to make a mental note of how the element was orientated in the tray with the "Air Flow" arrows pointing downwards.
If your current cabin air filter is in good condition we can just tap out the large debris or bugs and remove any dust or pollen by a vacuum cleaner(soft & slowly) before re-installing it.
If the old cabin air filter is dark grey or black with pleats clogged by dust, dirt, hair, and other debris, we should replace it with a brand new filter through the dealer.
I understand that HONDA uses the same for all models of HONDA CITY since 2006 and if anybody can find out the part number and whether available after market with reputed automobile shop like Popular Motors it will save us a lot.

FOOT NOTE:

One can’t ignore a smell from the AC. It may be due to:

Burning Rubber Smell:
To check the wiring/connectors under the hood. Any shorting or excessive load when the starter is cranked can slowly burn off the insulation on the wire.

Pungent Acidic Smell:
Very old / improperly maintained car battery can heat up and cause acidic fumes in the engine bay.

Foul smell:
Dead leaves/insects / rodents, rotten food particles and most importantly the mold should be ruled out.

So, prevention is better than cure.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
@ allhyundaicars

SOMETHING ABOUT HYUNDAI VERNA NUMBER PLATE BULB

Coming to your queries:

You mentioned that you wanted to change reverse light but the link indicates number plate lamp. I hope you meant only number plate bulbs for you.

As you know the bulbs are universal. But any specific assembly / socket should be custom made to replace as plug and play. In this case, I understand, you want to replace stock bulb to led one. I assume OE Verna bulb comes here with fixed adopter and as such the bulb can’t be separated. If this is correct go far this as it is nicely custom made, no warranty issue too.

Retailers from aliexpress buy from one manufacture and price the product according to the profit margin they want, and the price also depends upon the color you choose, shipping, single/pair or multiple numbers.

I find this seller is the cheapest as on date as the price for 1pair is US $6.99 (Approximately Rs. 439.05) for white color with free shipping to India.

Hyundai Solaris Verna license plate lamp 5 5050 license plate lamp T10 Hyundai Solaris Verna adapted for a pair-in License Plate Lights from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com

I don’t find the product in ebay.com, as always I counter check, would be cheaper sometimes!

Check, if the bulb can be removed from your original socket, buy only the bulb which is still cheaper and you can get from any auto accessory shop or ebay.in.

Regarding interior lights for your car, tell me what your exact requirement is. With the bulb specification and knowing the available space we can get the best match.

Regards
Dr MUDHAN
sorry i meant number plate lights. ok will order these and i think it shouldn't be a problem removing the oem bulb since the process has been explained nicely [:D]

i read about your interior dome lights but i don't have any knowledge about festoon and all [[sleep] i tried to google the bulb type but couldn't find any.

@Dr MUDHAN

Thank you for taking your time to guide us on how to clean cabin air filter our selfs. It will be very helpful. I didn't even know there is a filter inside dashboard. :p

Anyhow, I just removed mine and its clean as yours so replacement isn't necessary. There was some dust above and I cleaned it with a paint brush but can we wash the filter with water as well and then dry it? or it damages the filter?

sorry i meant number plate lights. ok will order these and i think it shouldn't be a problem removing the oem bulb since the process has been explained nicely [:D]

i read about your interior dome lights but i don't have any knowledge about festoon and all [[sleep] i tried to google the bulb type but couldn't find any.
@allhyundaicars

Images shown by Dr MUDHAN are Verna's but international model so things might change so like he said, it would be better if you check the base types personally and check for the same online. In user manual, there will be guides on how to remove casing and bulbs.

In user manual, see if you can find a guide on how to remove/replace bulb from the interior light casing.

If you are confused, take a snapshot then post it here otherwise on your ownership thread. We will guide you through. :)

Last edited:

Top Bottom