My New Honda City in White - The Albus

Thread Starter #62

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
PART XV:

DOME / FESTOON L.E.Ds

That was a big story.
I was searching… searching to know the specified size of the stock bulb. Nothing was there even in the car manual. The bulbs which I bought online either over sized or low powered.

At last I found out Honda uses 31 mm festoon bulbs. The polarity issue is very common in these L.E.D bulbs.

1. Festoon 31mm 2W 270lm 4-SMD 5630 LED White Light Car Reading / License Plate Lamp (2 PCS / 12V)
WASTED - as these are low powered and not had the lumen as claimed. Misguided by the false reviews.

2. New SMD 48 LED 3528 Room Dome Door Car Interior Light Bulb Lamp Warm White Reading Lights with double side tape.
WASTED - very good power but unfortunately as over sized, not got into the lamp assay.

3. Festoon 31mm 0.7W 70lm 12-SMD 3528 LED White Light Car Reading / Interior / Door Lamp - (12V / Pair)
GOOD, OK power but removed as I got 16-SMD one.

4. 31mm 16 LED SMD Festoon Dome Light lamp Car reading Bulbs pathway light door led bulb reading White or blue
Very GOOD - I purchased one white and one blue in the pair. Blue had not enough illumination so I continue with white.

I am still searching a better one for more illumination inside, specially the oblong design (the CIVIC type), and the 60-SMD Exact Fit LED panel light for center dome light.
[lol]

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #64

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #65

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
PART XVI :

DO YOU NEED THOSE DRLs?

It has become mandatory in Scandinavian countries where it is persistently dark during the winter season, and their safety benefits first perceived. The safety benefit produced by DRLs in relatively dark Nordic countries is roughly triple the benefit observed in relatively bright America. [Ref: Wikipedia]

But whether they are really needed in a country like INDIA?

It will be a debate.

Now in India, many new cars come with a provision in the front bumper.

The main function of DRL is to be easily spotted by other motorists on the road. It's important that we not only be able to see others vehicles, but also be seen by others. It doesn't matter which country we are living in. we have to make sure that the DRL isn't too harsh, but just enough to be seen. DRL is mostly to make you more visible especially in the rear view mirror of other cars.

If you like,

- if you have money go for the expensive one. Philips / Osram cost you Rs. 5000 to 10000 depending upon the no. of LEDs whether 4 or 8 with complete kit.
- If you want to be cost effective go for a good Chinese make which will cost you Rs. 500 to 3000/- depends upon your need for the DRL controller.

What we have to look for:

1. Water proof DRLs

2. Standard SMD or CREE type and not the old diffused bulb type LEDs.

3. A good automobile switch

4. DRL controllers – if you want to replicate the way DRLs are supposed to work ideally.

5. Of course, aesthetics, lesser load on the battery, reduced glare etc. have to be noted.

These DRL controllers connect to the car battery and have relays which activate when the battery voltage is above 13.5-14V (when the alternator is working /engine on) and deactivate when the battery voltage is less than 12.5 volts (when engine is off). This means that no wire has to be cut.

If you don’t want the controller, you can connect through the battery directly via on/off switch in the dashboard but don’t forget to switch off, when you get down from the car. Here also you need not touch the other wiring harness of the car.

In some controllers there is an automatic switch off function when turning on the headlights, which needs a by pass connection with the original electrical circuit, which I feel should be avoided.

I personally feel that in places like Chennai where co drivers of two wheelers / four wheelers have no patience for signal lights and have a tendency to bang the back of our cars will make us to put DRLS in the back bumper, Isn’t it?

[lol]

If you have your DRL story, share with us. O.K?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi doc,
I am an auto enthusiast and a new member at TAI. I'm very addicted to it to such an extent that I spend at least a couple of hrs every day browsing various threads. I happened to go through your thread on TAI and would like to appreciate you on your efforts on detailed and informative posts. Thanks

Last edited:
Sir, perfect review and explanation of things with reasons. Read the entire set of pages and good to see another auto enthusiast Doctor after another TAIan, 'mumbaikar'. Hope you enjoy lacs of miles with your ANHC (All New Honda City).
I am also thinking of buying another car. This time I am in dilemma for a ANHC manual transmission, Dezire zxi and Micra cvt. Still doing test drives.

Thread Starter #68

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Sir, perfect review and explanation of things with reasons. Read the entire set of pages and good to see another auto enthusiast Doctor after another TAIan, 'mumbaikar'. Hope you enjoy lacs of miles with your ANHC (All New Honda City).
I am also thinking of buying another car. This time I am in dilemma for a ANHC manual transmission, Dezire zxi and Micra cvt. Still doing test drives.
Hi doc,
I am an auto enthusiast and a new member at TAI. I'm very addicted to it to such an extent that I spend at least a couple of hrs every day browsing various threads. I happened to go through your thread on TAI and would like to appreciate you on your efforts on detailed and informative posts. Thanks
Dear tai_newbie
Thanks for your appreciation which comes out of your passion for automobiles and I value it as a great motivation.

Dear amiti
Thanks for your appreciation which comes from your heart and I am really happy to note that you have read the entire set of pages.

Of course, I am a human being and definitely need encouragement from persons like you all - for my efforts which is my extra to routines.

Dr. MUDHAN

Thread Starter #69

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
PART XVII :

ONLINE SHOPPING ABROAD & CUSTOMS FORMALITIES

Life has uncertainties.

That doesn’t mean that we should sacrifice simple pleasures by avoiding things what we like to do with our beloved cars.

Some of you who have gone through this thread postings expressed their interest to know more about buying things abroad.

I have shared my experience over online shopping for auto spares abroad & about the Indian customs formalities with our fellow TAI_ns.

I am really happy that this special posting is considered to be a perfect resource & guide by TAI Moderator and it is placed at The Automotive Library section.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...line-shopping-abroad-customs-formalities.html

Please go through the same and you would get detailed information about the following process.

1. Find out the item which you want
2. Find out the right price and shipping method & cost
3. Compare the prices with other sellers & online shops
4. Select the shop based on their selling price and creditability
5. Pay for it
6. Wait for it & Track shipping
7. Pay custom duty if any
8. Problems with custom authorities.
9. Receive it
10. Revert to the seller, if there is a need for refund / replacement.

Let us buy what we like, of course carefully, but ensure let it not pinch our pocket.

Buy always cheaper items, make order individually, and avoid bulk order.

Yes, start a purchase test with small orders valued below 5 to 10 dollars. And then go for more.

Happy shopping!

Dr. MUDHAN

Wooowwww! Can one love the car beyond any boundaries? Can one explore & research about things to the max. possible extend before buying it? Can one try all possible options and freeze the one that suits better? Can't say no after seeing this thread.

Yes, I am "like minded" to you, in terms of doing some ground work before I get in to something. But, NO WHERE close to you. Hence, I consciously have mentioned that I am "like minded" and not "similar" to you. HATS OFF TO YOU DR. First of all, having interest beyond the regular schedules, spending time, money & effort to try different things, and most importantly, jotting it all clearly with pictorial representation is unbelievable. I have seen / heard many imprudent advices from people "Try this, try that... That's good, great" etc. without even knowing about the facts of the product they recommend or just because it's widely used by many or just by marketing gimmicks. This is what differentiates an enthusiast from others. I won't be shy to say, proud to be a fellow member of you.

I realized that it is not my car but the metallic color that attracted the birds. So this time when we bought our New Honda city, that’s one reason we accepted the taffeta white as we could not get alabaster silver metallic. But the crows are not leaving me again and they continue to chase my car. When I was wondering, my brother who owns a white Toyota Etios had the same problem. It made us to think that there should a commonality between our cars. Crows chasing & droppings are more noticed after car wash with shampoo. We have been using Amway car shampoo for many years, we thought, probably the chemical smell attracted the birds. And it was high time to change the car shampoo, so the hunt began. Wow! How many products are there in the market!! We have narrowed down between Formula 1 - Carnauba Wash & Wax Shampoo and ABRO-Premium Gold Car wash. I got a deal @ snapdeal.com, Abro 946ml for Rs.361/-, bought and shared a sample to my brother. It’s really good. But still some crows followed. We understood that the color never matters, something more attracts the birds.

Birds are naturally attracted to shiny objects, which makes things like jewelry and sequins great targets. They may fly off with bits of foil or even jewelry if given a chance. It is good to be careful while playing with pet birds as it is good to avoid shiny jewels and make ups. They love to grab ear rings, and necklaces and may be attracted to glasses and watches.

So, just to avoid crows one can’t keep the car dirty… he hee! Better to avoid under tree parking and, avoid parking under the beam when parked inside a shed.

I have also noticed that it is not only the birds are attracted to cars like mine, even people prefer to lay over and relax on my car when parked in the parking lot. When I used to feel for it, my daughter as a kid used to say ‘Daddy, they do it because your car is clean and neat!’
Of course, I can't avoid it friends!
The above quote is an example of how much an enthusiast would give a thought about any s*it [lol] Jokes apart, you thought about everything, that's commendable.

Still I wanted to inform about my feeling and disappointment, I wrote to the seller about the mismatch and how it had damaged the internals when I tried to over press, hoping that it would hold.
The unexpected happened. The seller immediately responded, apologized and refunded the full money through my Pay Pal account.
The world is still good because of such nice people...!

This is unbelievable. Yet, this is an example that there are people who do business ethically. So happy to hear about such an incident, that too in an online trading. Amazing!

• Whenever a chance occurs the mechanics put their advertisement stickers over the head lights as blind spot, as though they are helping us to follow the traffic rule. It was true once that the olden day cars came with incandescent bulbs and a glass case. Even Car head lights had to be half blinded (with black paint) and few of them never even had dip/dim control switches.
These stickers which I ignored when pasted over the plastic head lights of my previous car MATIZ, spoiled the transparency of the fiber glass and the chemical in the paste reacted with plastics and made it dull and irreparable.
The new generation cars all come with halogens - and since these bulbs have the tips blacked out a separate sticker is no more required. The dip /dim control switch is mandatory now as per ARAI. So, I am very carefully avoiding it now in my new car.

• Whenever I cross over a bump, by fear I press the break to slow down and make my tyres to roll over. That always resulted in scrapings. I understand that I should not do it and now the car avoids the lower GC problem.

• Few times, I missed to note that the engine is running / idling as the I- Vtec engine is so silent. Cranking the engine like that is not good, isn’t it? Now I am very careful by looking at the display.
I never allow anyone to put a sticker in my car, whatsoever it is. TAI is an exception [:D]

Can you detail about technique you follow to avoid scraping?

Figo comes with Double Crank Protection, means, once the ignition is on, you can't try to turn it on again. Even in case of stalling, you need to switch off and on again. Initially it was annoying, but you can realize the benefit of it with this view.

I learnt many things while choosing led lights for my car and I too wasted some money as misguided by the advertisements. One should give importance for stock lights compatibility, to the size, type of adopter, lumen, watt, color temperature, power consumption before buying the right and the best light. The led manufacturing in China has become almost a cottage industry and only a good brand has value @life. The size should fit in properly to the lens case. Over size or under size will not serve the purpose. Adopter of stock socket like T10 to be noted.

Most important thing about these bulbs the polarity. In the beginning, I felt I got the fused one as it was not illuminating. After I realized that the mistake was only on my part , it got powered up when I reversed the polarity.
I am thinking of replacing the stock Cabin lamp with LED and under seat illumination (Blue) in sync with the cabin lamp. Your thoughts are highly appreciated.

Very informative. Thanks a ton.

Thread Starter #71

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Wooowwww! Can one love the car beyond any boundaries? Can one explore & research about things to the max. possible extend before buying it? Can one try all possible options and freeze the one that suits better? Can't say no after seeing this thread.

HATS OFF TO YOU DR. First of all, having interest beyond the regular schedules, spending time, money & effort to try different things, and most importantly, jotting it all clearly with pictorial representation is unbelievable.
I will respond to you.

Meanwhile, please accept my acknowledgement.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #73

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Can you detail about technique you follow to avoid scraping?.
There are two types of speed breakers I encounter (of course, every one!).
One is expected and another is the unexpected.
In case of unexpected (highways which have unmarked speed breakers), I feel that we have no control over the car and sudden breaking will damage the car more than when it is allowed to fly over. Of course it depends upon the speed we face the risk.
In case of expected, what I meant in the thread, I make the car to roll over slowly and I avoid pressing the brake pedal.
If I brake by fear of scraping, the car bounces and hits. This is due to the weight of the car on the front suspension which causes the front springs to compress, and the already compressed suspension is not able to absorb the impact of the speed breaker.
I agree with every one that over speeding and over loading will no way solve this issue, unless the vehicle has extra ordinary GC.
Fortunately, the ANHC has thick steel cover; but it has 2 separate metal sheets protecting the LHS and RHS of the engine bay; the center part is left exposed.

Figo comes with Double Crank Protection.
Is it? Nice. It is a must for the first time drivers.

There are two types of speed breakers I encounter (of course, every one!).
One is expected and another is the unexpected.
In case of unexpected (highways which have unmarked speed breakers), I feel that we have no control over the car and sudden breaking will damage the car more than when it is allowed to fly over. Of course it depends upon the speed we face the risk.
In case of expected, what I meant in the thread, I make the car to roll over slowly and I avoid pressing the brake pedal.
If I brake by fear of scraping, the car bounces and hits. This is due to the weight of the car on the front suspension which causes the front springs to compress, and the already compressed suspension is not able to absorb the impact of the speed breaker.
I agree with every one that over speeding and over loading will no way solve this issue, unless the vehicle has extra ordinary GC.
Fortunately, the ANHC has thick steel cover; but it has 2 separate metal sheets protecting the LHS and RHS of the engine bay; the center part is left exposed.
Yes, everyone does face the both, but sadly, the former is more often than the latter [frustration]

When you say roll over without brakes, doesn't it discomfort the passengers? I have tried it as well and realized it throws out the passengers off the seat, however slower you do. Of course, Speed Breakers in Bangalore are exceptionally the worst to what I have seen in other cities. You may literally have no escape, whatsoever you do. But, I do agree with your logic on suspension and in the same thoughts have noticed that when you roll over with minimal brake and cautiously land on the other side of the wall (errr sorry Speed Breaker), you save it better. Cautiously landing means, zero work to the suspension, so no bounce back. Figo's suspension is a bit stiffer for city rides and maybe that makes you to jump off the seat if done without brakes. Anyways, will try your suggestion for sure.

Well, you maybe interested to contribute in this thread! http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...car-breakers-do-they-make-any-real-sense.html

Top Bottom