My New Honda City in White - The Albus

Dear Sethu
I must compliment you for you being the forerunner in sharing many things through your sparky threads.
Actually I felt it very bad when I tried to register in another 3 letter auto forum, the way they reacted to my interest. Sometimes people miss to judge others.
I am really happy to be with stalwart like you and the way TAI & TAI_ns encouraging me. Thank you very much.
Sir, There are so many frustrated TAIians about that forum. Even i had tried to register there and got frustrated and just left it.

So dont worry here we have lots and lots of liberty and we all use it properly without affecting forum's decorum.

Thread Starter #47

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Sir, There are so many frustrated TAIians about that forum. Even i had tried to register there and got frustrated and just left it.

So dont worry here we have lots and lots of liberty and we all use it properly without affecting forum's decorum.
Dear Sethu
I know how much you love your SPARKY!
I am feeling a little bit nostalgic, please see my Matiz and you would appreciate how much I adored her!!
Thanks.

Attachments

Wow, Your matiz looks great sir. Actually from the begining I like Matiz some how. In 1999 I used work in Dishnet office at Apex plaza and I daily see a Matiz which used to get parked there. I fell in love with it at that time itself.

now luckily I got its small bro as my car now.

I believe more or less Spark and Matiz looks same with mild modifications. Hope even the driving pleasure also would be the same.

The color of your matiz is great. My m800 was silver one.

BTW, what was in ODO when you sold it?

We should meet-up some time sir if possible.

Thread Starter #49

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Wow, Your matiz looks great sir. Actually from the begining I like Matiz some how. In 1999 I used work in Dishnet office at Apex plaza and I daily see a Matiz which used to get parked there. I fell in love with it at that time itself.

now luckily I got its small bro as my car now.

I believe more or less Spark and Matiz looks same with mild modifications. Hope even the driving pleasure also would be the same.

The color of your matiz is great. My m800 was silver one.

BTW, what was in ODO when you sold it?

We should meet-up some time sir if possible.
You may be knowing, Daewoo Matiz achieved an honour by driving into the Guinness Book of Records as the most fuel-efficient car with an efficiency of 32.01 km to a litre of petrol. It is the one small car for which Daewoo Motors spent so much for R&D. The better mutation, on Chevrolet’s hand, resulted as SPARK.

Many things I added to my Matiz (Year 2000) – Spl. Regd. Number, power windows, roof rails, spoiler, side indicator lights etc.,

When I left, the car had run 68000 kms and gave it with new battery & very good tyres to our contractor for Rs.50,000/- last year. I never had any major problem except once I had to change the clutch plate.

Yes. I saw your first car M800.

Sure, we will meet one day. It’s nice of you.[:)]

Thread Starter #50

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
PART XI:
THE MISTAKES I DID IT IN MY CAR WHICH I DON’T WANT YOU TO DO IT:

• The moment I start the car, I used to switch on the AC. I missed to note the ‘cold engine warning blue icon indicator’ on the display. Now I wait for it to disappear so that the engine sufficiently gets warmed up and then I switch on the AC.

• Whenever a chance occurs the mechanics put their advertisement stickers over the head lights as blind spot, as though they are helping us to follow the traffic rule. It was true once that the olden day cars came with incandescent bulbs and a glass case. Even Car head lights had to be half blinded (with black paint) and few of them never even had dip/dim control switches.
These stickers which I ignored when pasted over the plastic head lights of my previous car MATIZ, spoiled the transparency of the fiber glass and the chemical in the paste reacted with plastics and made it dull and irreparable.
The new generation cars all come with halogens - and since these bulbs have the tips blacked out a separate sticker is no more required. The dip /dim control switch is mandatory now as per ARAI. So, I am very carefully avoiding it now in my new car.

• After washing the car, I used to wipe water droplets inside the bonnet, dickey, and all the door lines side and bottom. But I missed one important thing inside the bonnet. Water used to accumulate both side in the rubber cap of McPherson strut bolt and the bolt started corroding. Now, I wipe and absorb out the water and spray WD40 during every car wash.

• Whenever I cross over a bump, by fear I press the break to slow down and make my tyres to roll over. That always resulted in scrapings. I understand that I should not do it and now the car avoids the lower GC problem.

• I always relied upon my side rear view mirrors to see the vehicles follow me. I missed the other importance of my side view mirror to calculate the space between my vehicle and the next vehicle while taking out in a congested parking. It resulted in paint bruises. Now I carefully watch inch by inch.

• Few times, I missed to note that the engine is running / idling as the I- Vtec engine is so silent. Cranking the engine like that is not good, isn’t it? Now I am very careful by looking at the display.

• I am still to follow this recommendation by California energy commission: ‘If you are going to be parked for more than 30 seconds, turn off the engine. Ten seconds of idling can use more fuel than turning off the engine and restarting it. And when you start your engine, don't step down on the accelerator; just simply turn the key to start. Money that will likely be recovered several times over in fuel savings from reduced idling would be more than the cost of Component wear.’

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #51

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
PART XII:
THE GEAR KNOB STORY:

I saw a cheap, beautiful gear lever knob in an online site which was only Rs.250 and started imagining how nice it would make my car’s interior.

Ordered.

It was nicely presented in a velvet box, imitating as an expensive one and I opened, tried to fix it on to my gear lever. Then only I realized, what the sellers claimed that ‘universal one’ is not the real universal one. It couldn’t hold the lever as the knob had inside three protruding, very crude screw holes, and I was afraid whether those would damage my original lever threads. I tried to smooth the inner side to some extent. But again I found that the thread inside the knob over sized.

As I thought, I should not leave it, I applied Teflon tape to the leaver to give a grip, found no way good. I did not want to take the risk of malfunction while driving.
I checked with some bolts which could nicely thread to the leaver and selected the one, I removed the black bottom plastic cap of the knob and put the bolt inside, nice, went neatly inside & covered by the cap.
I thought that it was going to succeed, but the gear knob was rotating 360 degree, yes I did a mistake, the bolt which I put inside the knob was not pasted, now I removed. Put only the bolt to see it neatly hold the lever at the end and marked the position with marker, you may think why I did all these steps, it was to ensure the bolt was pasted in the right direction so that the knob would be in the right gear positions. I removed the bolt from the lever, applied Araldite and pasted to the inside of the knob. After setting in, I put back the bottom black cover. Now I felt confident that this would work. Threaded the knob, nicely got attached but alas the knob positioned to a wrong direction.

I still don’t know how my calculations went wrong! now the bolt was bonded and not possible to be removed.

I had no patience.

My search went on SKUNK-2 KNOBS, ordered from Aliexpress. This time I understood the science of car gear knobs. Honda has a specific thread size pitch of M10 x 1.5 and that can only match. This one is SKUNK-2 replica from China and I wanted the weighted type having approximately 400 gms so that gearing would be enjoyable. Got it, again excited, removed from the beautiful box. Fixed over the lever.
But, again disappointed. The knob set in but in the wrong direction. I tried to put the washer nut came along with the knob but worked not. This time I decided that at any cost to have it. I made a sticker, pasted over the knob in the right direction, yes, it was perfect.

Nice @ nice!

But, one word of caution from my side if you are interested in such metallic knob. These are machined from high-quality billet stainless steel. It easily absorbs the car cabin temperature and you may feel little hot if you park the car under direct sun. Will it be ok? Then go for it!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha Ha sir, I think one more Varun is on the way.

Nice to hear that at last you found a solution and made it perfect.

Yes even I have seen these gear knobs n number of times, but did n't want to try it.

Thread Starter #53

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
PART XIII:
SHALL WE GO FOR PHILIPS X-TREME VISION BULBS? :

I have read that many owners of ANHC complaining about the low illumination of the stock head lights.

Some had gone with high power bulbs with relay cut outs. This would not only void the electrical warranty but the heat of these bulbs will also burn / spoil the beautiful silvery inner reflectors.

The car head light assembly is one which I feel as the icon of any car.

I have decided to improve the illumination without causing any damage to the head light assembly as well as warranty. I found reference to Osram NB's and Philips XV as plug and play.

I understood that these halogen bulbs which use xenon gas to add extra brightness without increasing the Kelvin Rating or wattage; this means that they do not generate any more heat than our standard bulbs, hence remaining road legal.

Which one is better and the analysis in these sites helped me:

Philips X-Treme Vision Vs. Osram Night Breaker Plus - Page 41
Philips X-treme Vision vs. OSRAM Night Breaker Plus | PowerBulbs

I have decided to go for the Philips XV but I found many part numbers of the same bulbs are available in the market depends upon the packing / the country of make. There are two popular versions – a German make and a Chinese make. Both are original Philips make only. I was told that some Counterfeits are also floating.

I tried from local Philips dealer, as usual no stock. When I wanted to check up auto stores at GP road, Chennai through one of my friend, he purchased and came. The seller gave it for Rs.1000 as against MRP Rs.12OO/- and it seems that the seller opened the wrapper, tested the bulbs in front of my friend and stapled it, gave them to him.

I do not know in which world the seller is living now, somehow I did not like somebody handling the bulbs without my supervision. As we know the handling of such bulbs requires caring and the glass part should not be touched. I could not express my feeling as the buyer happened to be my friend. It’s ok! I thought it was a good price. But later when I bought from another shop (which is my regular shop now) for my colleague, I paid only Rs.850/- and quite surprised. In both the cases, I could get the Chinese make (red wrapper) only.

The bulbs were replaced in my presence and I was waiting for the night. I found that there is noticeable difference, the color was little whitish and the beam length is better & longer. During day time, the inside head light assays are also looking good as the bulbs are slimmer than the stock ones.

Don’t expect a magic, but they are definitely giving us a better illumination on road.

Shall we go for the Philips X-Treme Vision bulbs? - Yes, why not!

Wait for my next story on other bulbs!

Attachments

Sir, Again you have started another topic. Good. Even I was told that it is better to go for Philips XV. I would like to go one like this along with Fog Lamp. so that I don't need cut-out for head light.

Dont forget to post a pic with its effect in night.

Thread Starter #57

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Sure, I will give here my car’s Philips XV low / high beam pictures, taken today in my mobile camera. I will get you some better pictures later.
I am also giving a comparison of Honda Jazz head light beam (same bulbs) - Stock vs. Philips XV, picture from one web site.
You can also check up this site which I indicated earlier: Philips X-Treme Vision Vs. Osram Night Breaker Plus - Page 41

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #59

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
Dr Mudhan,

Your thread is very interesting and informative. Keep up the good work sir. Looking for many more updates from you.
Thank You, venkythaniks for your visits to my thread and for the nice words.

Please keep coming, I sincerely hope, my thread would be useful for other car owners too.

Sure, I will keep sharing more information.

Dr.MUDHAN

Thread Starter #60

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
PART XIV:
MY CAR’S L.E.D LIGHTS:

If you are in the age group of 50s, you are one of the finest generation who have witnessed the killer technologies that the scientific world offered to human beings.

The beginning of my life, during childhood time, gave me an opportunity to see a mono valve radio, followed by stereo transistors, valve TVs, analogue TVs, LCD, LED, OLED TVs and now 4K TVs and the latest the foldable ones.

I still remember the way I got excited to see the old LED bulbs dancing to music, what we called then disco lights.

Even I had created a set of lights that would flash different colors as break light in my old Premier Padmini during 1990s.

Life is changing very fast.

Today we have super- efficient LED light bulbs and I would say automobile industry catalyzed the need for the technology.

Auto industries go on exploring the new generations of L.E.Ds from the old 5mm diffused type old L.E.Ds.

Now the popular SMD L.E.Ds are providing high brightness, and consumes less energy.

One must see the unbelievable illumination produced by CREE L.E.D technology which I could see from the torch light (TechLite Lumen Master) sent by my daughter from US.

SMD (Surface Mount Diode /Device) is the more modern type, most often looks like a little brick with a yellow dot. These have better cooling (not encapsulated in a plastic bulb) and can be very efficient.

5050 LED chips and 3528 LED chips (based on their shape) are the most popular in the automobile market.

I learnt many things while choosing led lights for my car and I too wasted some money as misguided by the advertisements. One should give importance for stock lights compatibility, to the size, type of adopter, lumen, watt, color temperature, power consumption before buying the right and the best light. The led manufacturing in China has become almost a cottage industry and only a good brand has value @life. The size should fit in properly to the lens case. Over size or under size will not serve the purpose. Adopter of stock socket like T10 to be noted.

Most important thing about these bulbs the polarity. In the beginning, I felt I got the fused one as it was not illuminating. After I realized that the mistake was only on my part , it got powered up when I reversed the polarity.

Sometime advertisement about lumen a misleading one. Practically it may have lower illumination, that’s why while purchasing online we should go with good manufactures. Market fitting gives us an opportunity to witness the power.
Watt and power consumption should be far below than the stock ones, then only we would be saving the battery energy.
While choosing the white color, white should be white and warm white should be yellowish like the stock incandescent bulbs. I didn’t like White with more bluer tints.

Parking L.E.Ds

12V T10 SMD LED Bulbs (4+6nos -1 watt LED used in one bulb) - Cool White (6000 Kelvin color)
- I preferred normal lights that should not distract the head lights.

Boot L.E.Ds

T10 2W 6500K 126-Lumen 9-SMD LED Car White Light Bulbs
- I preferred more light for visibility.

Fog L.E.Ds

- I preferred correct light for visibility. I gave importance to the length, as it should not touch the housing, and lumen for acceptable illumination both day (as DRL) and night (as FOGs). I also wanted the bulbs to be more silvery so that it would not spoil the inner look of FOGs. I got, at the time of my purchase the yellow tipped type only. Now newer bulbs with the best CREE technology are available with glass tip.

Number plate L.E.Ds

12V T10 SMD LED Bulbs (4nos -1 watt LED used in one bulb) - Cool White (6000 Kelvin color)
- Preferred correct light to cover the area. Got the one, bulbs type focusing one side down.

Next, wait for my interesting experience in choosing the Dome / Festoon L.E.D bulb! [glasses]

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom