My New Car - Tata Manza

Thread Starter #1
Though I own a limited edition Wagon R, which is in very good condition, I have not been driving it for quite some time. We have driven it for over 40000 kms, and never had any breakdown (minor or major). When I shifted to Bangalore, I left the car with my parents. I have been thinking of buying a sedan for quite some time. I started my online search few months back. As I was at work on a merchant ship shuttling between north hemisphere and south hemisphere, internet was the only gateway available. I considered following points for my car:
1. Budget: Around 9 lakhs
2. Engine: Having worked on marine diesel engines for over 8 years, I seriously wanted to own a turbocharged diesel engine. Maximum bhp available in the given price range.
3. I prefer to buy top end model.
4. Comfort: The car should be spacious.

As soon as I came back to India. I started the search for my new car. I considered the following:

1. Mahindra Verito:
I was not affected by so called ‘Taxi Image’. I went to nearby Mahindra outlet. They were prompt to offer a test drive. Though interiors were very dull, the car has a good engine. I loved driving it. And sales guy was so afraid. He kept on telling me to drive easy. Later on he told me that the car has been booked by a customer and is due for delivery after 2 days. (Why he gave me a booked car for TD?) Anyways, I felt at ease right from beginning. The Renault engine is smooth, backed by years of R$D. I didn’t like the wipers and various controls, which M&M have decided not to change as per right hand driving set-up.

2. Toyota Etios:
Largest boot among competition. Looks resemble Verito. I didn’t like the interiors at all. And when I started the engine, cabin noise was too much. TD started smooth. But most of the time, I got stuck while shifting to 2nd gear. The car was out of my list.

3. Ford Fiesta classic:
I went to check Verito once again with my family. But TD vehicle was not ready. So we went to nearby Ford dealership. I found that Ford Fiesta Classic comes in my budget. So asked for a test drive. My kid didn’t like the vehicle (while at Mahindra dealership he went inside new Xylo  ). Anyways, rear seat and boot was much smaller than competition. But driving experience was awesome. That’s why its called driver’s car. My wife didn’t like the car.

3. Tata Manza
Earlier, I had not considered it. I heard from everyone about TASS. But since above cars didn’t appeal much, I went to nearby Tata dealership. I saw the car and brochure. Here I came to know about its engine. Believe me, it has very advanced engine, made available at such low price. I asked for TD, but I was informed that TD will be available after 3 days. 
Well after 3 days, TD vehicle was at my door step. I took a looong TD. On various types of roads. I liked the car. Huge, comfortable, powerful. My wife liked it too. I booked it the same day. We went for TATA Manza, Elan Quadrajet. Monarch Red colour. Sales guy promised delivery within 20 days. Dealer is Aadya motors, Bangalore. They offered me cash discount of Rs 30000. Onroad price Rs 9.13 lakhs.

Buying Experience

Since I am not working at Bangalore, not even in India, or any particular country. So getting a finance was getting difficult for me. Finally, I got finance from Federal bank at RT Nagar @12.5 %. Though I could arrange for cash purchase, but didn’t want to block my liquid cash, so went for complete 90% finance.
After about a week, dealer calls me and informs that Monarch red colour has been discontinued and I will have to change my choice. Later I went to the dealership. They said, TATA motors have discontinued Monarch red colour. I didn’t like it, but nothing could be done. So I settled for Jet silver. Now dealer says that Jet silver is available, and I can take delivery in 2 days. I said WOW. What’s the VIN. And then manager looks shocked. He says he’ll check again, and later said that car is not available. Actually, he was trying to sell me 12 months old car. He asks 20 days from this day for delivery of car. And my ordeal started from this day. For some reason, they kept delaying the billing of vehicle. It is getting close to one month and the car is yet to be billed. Then only the car will be dispatched from factory. Well I was calling them on daily basis. One day I went to showroom and ASM informed me that the vehicle has been billed and handed over VIN to me (when I asked). To my surprise the VIN was MAT******BLB***** I was so angry. I have been waiting for a month and they have billed a 13 months old car for me. I told him. I wont accept the vehicle. And He is trying to tell me that it is new vehicle. And showed me an email too. Well I said I wont accept it and am going to complain. To this he said, will check once again. And said he is extremely sorry. The vehicle is for another customer. My car is yet to be billed!! At this time, Finally I got in touch with Aadya motors AGM Mr. Naveen. I should have contacted him earlier. He regretted the delay and assured me he will take the matter himself on priority. Within 3 days, my car was billed and I got March 2012 vehicle. Now time for delivery is not far, and I am excited. Finally the car arrives at there stockyard on 28th night. I went to inspect the car on 29th march afternoon. I had made a pre registration checklist, which I diligently followed. The vehicle was in excellent condition, 14km on ODO. A little bit of interior cleaning was required. Delivery scheduled for 31st March @1600 hrs. All of us got ready and headed towards the showroom. The car arrives at 1730 hrs. Spick n span. Inspected the car. Completed the paperwork and headed towards temple. Couldn’t get the number, as some problem with RTOs at Bangalore. Heard that Lokayukta has raided all the RTOs. Anyways, after doing puja, we headed towards Tumkur for a long drive. I am enjoying my car. And my son is enjoying the blutooth function of music system. He says, its first car he has seen, which can call!!

1. After Wagon R, it’s a big leap for me. I have got a bigger and better car. It is more comfortable.
2. DIS gives very usable information.
3. Steering mounted controls are great. I too like calling from my car !!
4. Seating position is good. Lumbar support on driver’s seat is good.
5. AC is good. Much better than my previous car. Rear ac vents would have been better.
6. The engine has variable geometry turbine. And when it kicks in, The car flies off. Though I have to restrain the horses for atleast 1000kms for running in. I am finding it very hard..
7. Rear seat has miles of space.

Dislikes
1. The very first day, I took for a long drive (night drive). I felt low beam to be very effective. But high beam is not up to the mark. The throw is limited. That means I have to limit speed while driving at night. In a way that’s good. In the mean time, I’ll try to figure out what could be done!
2. Another thing I don’t like is that the central locking/ immobilizer/ security is connected to only 4 doors. My Wagon R Primea also came with same setup, but same could be upgraded to audio alarm, vibration sensor. Also the hatch door and bonnet were connected to the security system. I enquired the dealer. They say, such upgradation is not possible in this system. The system is secure enough. My question is, If someone gets access to boot, no alarm will be activated, and the thief will have easy access to cabin, bonnet, without activating the alarm. They say, I can go for aftermarket security system. Wont that affect the validity of my warranty?? I will need fellow members advice on this.

Well, just got new seat covers for my car. I got a deal near my home at LEE Car Decors, Sahakar nagar for Rs 4800. I went for it, as going to GC Road, heavy traffic, parking problem. Getting it done near home was worth it. I feel they have done a good job.
And since I have got my number from RTO, I am making plans to go for long drives. Need no reason to drive. Earlier my brother n me used to drive 50 kms for a cup of tea and pakoras at a highway dhaba.
I am adding few pics of my new machine. I hope you will like them. Also help me out with the immobilizer issue I have mentioned above.

Attachments

Re: My new car TATA MANZA...

Wow. Your car looks beautiful.
Much better than the manza i had seen on road.
With the monarch red i saw one being delivered yesterday.

Re: My new car TATA MANZA...

Hi nozzlering, congrats for you new Manza..

Regarding the central locking for the boot and bonnet can be done easily, just need to connect switches as found on the door.. just go to an accessory shop they will do it taking a wire for a door.. costs you not more than 500 rs..

lxi.

Suspended
Conrats on the super sedan. Waiting for more updates. Any upgrades?

You can upgrade the bulbs for the headlight.
Regarding central locking, follow what varun says

Congratulations for the new Manza.

Its a good car.

Regarding headlights high beam throw - Service center people can adjust that. Highway Ranger faced the same problem and he got it corrected after some struggle with the service guys.

In my car, high beam reaches much farther than low beam.

It is sad that they discontinued Monarch Red.

Hi nozzlering,

Welcome to The Automotive India.

Congratulations for your Manza. She looks superb in the 3rd pic. Post some more picture of the interiors. Wish you thousands of happy miles.

Cheers.

Thread Starter #7
Today went for 1st free service. Took all day. At the end of the day, got back dirty car. And a dent and scratch free........... :mad::mad::mad:

Hi nozzlering! Congratulation on you new car. Did you get the high beam issue fixed. Concorde Motors, Dairy Circle now knows how to adjust the high beam.

Sorry to hear about the dent and scratch. Were they rectified by TASS?

About the central locking, AFAIK, Manza, at least mine, does not come with alarms or such security systems. only engine immobilizer. The remote in the key only locks or unlocks the doors and the car can be started only with the original key.

Apart from that you can open any door or the boot when the car is locked as there are no alarm system installed.

As Tata claims, the car is secure, in the sense, you cannot start the engine without the key, But any thing inside your car can be stolen.

To secure your car with intrusion alarms you need to go for aftermarket accessories.

I would recommend TCOP, as while the other security systems just makes a lot of noise which people are slowly getting into the practice of ignoring, TCOP will actually track your car if it is stolen and in addition to alarm, even send you SMSs if the door is opened or the engine is started.

Thread Starter #9
They tried to rectify, but created a bigger mess. Since it got dark, I couldn't see clearly. I will go to showroom today @ around 0930 hrs. Its Aadya motors. Though the dent is small, it hurts when on a new car, and that too at an authorised service station. Clearly shows there careless attitude.
Can you give me details of TCOP. I am interested.

I was planning to install it initially. But, I had other priorities/commitments. Now the car is a little over one year old and 24000+ kms, I need to rethink. My regular parking places, office/home, are safe. I fear for the safety only when I go on trips.

BTW, what is the color of your car? Looks like Silver in one picture and White in another. You have said you booked Red....[confused]

Which part of Bangalore do you stay. I remember Rudolf_Diesel/or someone else in this forum also mentioning that TASS. I stay some where around Silkboard/HSR layout/hosur road.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
My regular parking space is safe too. But when going on trips, I feel uneasy. Like I went to Coorg last week. And while my family was enjoying at various spots, I was worrying about my car. [:)]
I have Jet Silver. Yes I booked Red. But Tata have already discontinued the colour. So I opted for Jet Silver. They will introduce Laser Red in place of Monarch Red.
This is my first experience with Tata. And believe me, they really live upto there reputation!!! Atleast I can say so about Tata regional office and Aadya motors. Most of the have same laid back, careless attitude. Its because of few of them, the show is running. My pre delivery experience was a nightmare, unless Mr Naveen (AGM) came in, and did the fire fighting.
And I am very much satisfied with my car. I felt the woes are over. Done with sales department.
But now Service department has given me a grand welcome [frustration]
A small scratch and dent. And creating a bigger mess while trying to make it up. I feel I made to mistakes
1. I went to Aadya motors for a free service.
2. I pointed out the scratch and asked them to mend it.

Well, I got it written by SA that they have made a scratch and will repair it. But I worry about there careless attitude. I have to deal with these people now!!![confused]

Thread Starter #15
Congrats Appu for booking Vista. When Are you getting the deliovery? Which colour? Will post more pics soon.
Tata cars are really good (Pity they are let down by the T.A.S.S. and by Tata motors itself). Yesterday, I met a cab driver at the customer waiting lounge. He owns an Indica bought 5 years ago. Has done more than 3 lakh kms, and his car was in great condition. Untouched engine. he has had trouble free tenure of 5 years. Offlate, electricals have started giving problem.

Top Bottom