My Mighty Muscular PreLOVED Scorpio VLX in Fiery Black!

Thread Starter #1

lxi.

Suspended
Hi TAI'ns.
After having the Alto for his college use, My bro was fed upand decided that he wants an upgrade from it.
So , The selection process is here-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/automotive-shopper/6570-hunt-car-begins-now.html

So, We got home a used Mahindra Scorpio VLX 15 March '09 which has just completed some 7549 kms. Out of this, I have driven 48kms today!
The Price was 8 L (Which was negotiated from 8.2 L) and We have given 5 L now and Brought the preLOVED car home.

So here is a detailed one - (Some Readers might have problem of this longish post, Actually, I had Tonnes of time!)

Quick Info-
Type of Engine : Mhawk CRDE,Common Rail Diesel Engine.
Cubic Capacity : 2179cc (2WD)
Power : 120 Bhp at 4000 RPM
Torque : 290 Nm at 1800-2800 RPM
Tyre : 255/70 R15 Radials
Color : Fiery Black with Mist Silver Cladding.
Top Speed Done : 60kmph! Feeling bit scary to drive this Elephant.
Kms Done by 1st owner : 7501 kms.
Kms Done by ME : 48 kms.

Accessories Installed-
By First Owner :
1. Bull Bar (Front and Rear)
2. ICE : Double DIN Audio/Video DVD player JVC
Front Speakers : Yellow Cone Pioneer Components.
Rear Speakers : Yellow Cone Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
Subwoofer : JBL 12 Inch
Amplifier : SONY
3. Floor Mat (Full Floor) with Individual Carpet Mats (Black)

By Me-
Simply Nothing!

Service History-
The car has gone through 2 Services-
1. 1000kms - Free.
2. 5000kms - Some 1225/- Rs. Bill.
Waiting for more!

Trips Made-

1. Car came to home from NIT 1.
2. Went to a Temple Nearby the House.
3. Went for some Testing with my Brother (Neharpar) where there are very rough roads in villages full of WATER!(Seems like a Water park!)
3. Back to Home and BEAST is Sleeping!

Exterior-
Now, What to say!
As we all know, Its killer and becomes even killer in Black. The front is a nice grinny look and has a premium chrome grill. But ,i feel here, The looks have been disturbed by the odd bull bar! The Sides are Ok with the Cladding and the Scorpio engraved in it. The Roof Top Ski RAcks enhance to looks of the car to High Levels! The Rear is dominated by those long Taillamps and the Big Windscreen makes it a bit boring and Plain! The Bull Bar at the rear is very useful. Stopped me from making a dent at the rear!

Interiors-
We cannot compare it with the city V. It is a luxury car and other is the SUV. But, The interiors are are not up to the mark. The central console comprises of the round (Actually Headlight shaped) AC vents and the Brown finish make it like the Getz! The seats are very highly placed, But after allm its an SUV. THe Handle above the Glove box looks a little awkward though. The steering should have been given Chrome emblem of MAhindra instead of the cheap Mahindra Engraved in it. The buttons on the Steering are really useful.

Ride-
The ride was a bit bumpy on bad roads, But the vehicle was not that stable as the City (I know, I know, How can I expect this from an SUV). The car has a nice Road Presence. I am getting some Respect on the Roads from the Autowallas and People dare to cross the road seeing me coming! Hehe. In Alto, I had to wait for the people to cross and felt like ruining them thereonly!
Scorpio being an SUV, the seats are very high (This is our first SUV, So, it happens), It feels like SITTING ON THE ROOF OF ALTO/CITY AND DRIVING!

Comfort-
Loads of space the car has got, Comfortable Seating position for the First and Middle row passengers, the third row is a bit cramped as compared to front ones. The cruise control feature is a very rarely used one. Atleast, in Indian roads/Highways, No one can dare touse it as any Cow/Dog can jump from the divider for attempting suicide and become a murder case!Third Row vents would have been an added comfort. AC has not been used till now by me. The door spaces around are very useful. So, It is COMFORTABLE!

Build Quality-
I have to say that it is rock solid. When I was rushing through the Water filled roads, Some Village boys who were playing cricket, hit the ball and it came straight ot the car's front right door. I came out expecting a large dent on the door. But , touch wood, There was not a single one! This shows the car's toughness.Except for the Fit and Finish of the plastics , the quality of the car is excellent!

Handling-
AS i said, The ride is BUMPY which makes it uncomfortable in Bad roads. Handling of the car has been excellent in City and Highways at speeds upto 60kmph, not tested more because of traffic ahead! I love to ride this car in the city - Road Presence makes it feel good, but obviously i have problems with parking.

Performance-
With the Mhawk engine, the car floats on the Highways and is Powerful in city. It being a Heavy one, we cant expect much performance. But the car is powerful with 120 Bhp power and 290NM torque. It nevers feels like speeding even at 60kmph and the car never cries. Though in the Third Gear, The car vibrates below 2200RPM which is Qute Irritating. Will show it to ASS if they can do something!

Steering , Voice Assist system and ABS-
The steering is wonderful and not that light one of the hyundais (No offence), ACtually, i like a tight and tough steering!Here, I have not had a strain at all. Swirls like a dream! The Voice Assist System is very helpful but irritating at some times. The Brakes are Good and are enough for stopping the Giant from Attacking others! No need to Pull the car backwards by pressing the brakes hard(As people do with their German Shepherds!). Just feel them and the car comes to a Halt. The ABS is again a very useful feature but have not tested it.

Problems-
I have only felt the Third gear vibrations a bit irritating. The car starts vibrating (Which is noticeable) below 2200RPMs.
The Clutch is a Hard one. Will show it to ASS. The first owner said that he also went to ASS and they sprayed some Oil but the problem has came out again!

Pics-
Actually, I am a bit concerned about the Privacy of the pics, as my Father, Mother and Bro have said tonot post pics in forums as they would be Public! So posting just one pic for you guys to enjoy after the boring review. Also, The DAD's FAvourite ALTIS is also shown in the pic!

ddffddfdfd.jpg

Overall Verdict :

A great machine at this price range with a smooth, refined , powerful engine with great comfort and handling, but yes, it has its own flaws which are too minor to think about. I love my machine and we have mingled with each other.

NOTE: THANKS FOR READING THIS BORING POST.

Cheers!
Lxi!

Congrats on the new acquistion.

There is art of driving the Scorpio, which you will explore in the coming days.

You too have got the same bull bar as mine.

But at the rear it might look ugly.

For the clutch, tell the A.S.S to do clutch bleeding.

Then it would be smooth, if possible change the clutch switch too.

It would be feather lite.

While Starting and turning off the engine, press the clutch, there would be no shaking.

Also get the tyres rotated.

Congratulations lxi on the new ride, 3 years and just 7.5k what was the owner doing - has just done the running in period and handed over to you !!

Awaiting more pics and you really have a very distinct facial feature[;)]!! I think i should be able to recognise you when i am in Delhi!

Last edited:
only 7500 kms in 3.5 years? that is less! my xylo already done 8700 kms in 2.5 months! enjoy the ride bro. i know what u feel when u said that u felt like on the roof of the alto. trust me, here in bkk, the civic is so low that when the xylo came, it felt sooo tall. but it felt good. welcome to the mahindra group.

Thread Starter #5

lxi.

Suspended
Congrats on the new acquistion.

There is art of driving the Scorpio, which you will explore in the coming days.

You too have got the same bull bar as mine.

But at the rear it might look ugly.

For the clutch, tell the A.S.S to do clutch bleeding.

Then it would be smooth, if possible change the clutch switch too.

It would be feather lite.

While Starting and turning off the engine, press the clutch, there would be no shaking.

Also get the tyres rotated.
Thanks buddy! Yes, The bull bar is the same. The rear one looks ugly as it is simple rod like! But, It is of very help in taking reverse. I almost touched the wall near my house (It is low and was not seen from inside the car) and the bull bar banged against it and as i pressed the clutch in, The car slowly came forward! Came out to inspect but there was just a yellowish paint in the Bull BAr. NO HARM TO VEHICLE. Yes, Will surely show them the clutch at the time of 10k service!
Cheers!

Congratulations lxi on the new ride, 3 years and just 7.5k what was the owner doing - has just done the running in period and handed over to you !!

Awaiting more pics and you really have a very distinct facial feature[;)]!! I think i should be able to recognise you when i am in Delhi!
Thanks IRon rock, Hehe, The owner had 4 cars at home (Actually hes a rich guy!). The A4, civic, Scorpio and the Accord. He has sold all his cars now. There were only 2 in his family to drive. He drove accord and son rocked in A4. So the scorpio was with driver and is very less used! Nope, That was my Bro's Friend (He also purchased a scorpio a week back, so came in between when i was taking the pic!)and when i told this pic would be public, He said "HATAA DE YAAR!". So Masked his face! LOL.

only 7500 kms in 3.5 years? that is less! my xylo already done 8700 kms in 2.5 months! enjoy the ride bro. i know what u feel when u said that u felt like on the roof of the alto. trust me, here in bkk, the civic is so low that when the xylo came, it felt sooo tall. but it felt good. welcome to the mahindra group.
Yes, The car is very less used and that also in cities. The driver who used this car said he never took it above 80kmph. Woah, Your XYLO is a real mile cruncher. I saw a pic of your xylo. It is White and d2 variant, I think. Yes, The seats are too high and when I parked the car, next to the alto, ad city was on the other side, I was not able to see the Windows of the Car's! Its really a TAll one! Cheers.

Thread Starter #7

lxi.

Suspended
Thanks Autosafari, But i feel that it looks small from the specific angle which i took pic from.
Hehe, A big problem to park my car, My house can accomodate only 2 cars. So, The alto and city are in. The scorpio is out! But its better to keep the SCorpio out as dogs wont climp up the bonnet and Litter there as they did on the city!

congrats on your new acquistion. seeing the kms run on it i bet this was destined for you to used albeit the run in preiod.

just be cautious for a week or a month . then you would actually start to like the drive.

enjoying mine too [:)]

Congos lxi buddy,the Scorpio is a real beast,and the roar of these SUVs is really great.Just push them upto 4500 rpm and you find that everyone is looking at your car with their eyes wide open thinking like they have got a chance to spot some actor/actress..

I need some more pics...don't worry,no one will use your car's pics for their facebook cover pics or for illegal works...:biggrin:
EK INTERIOR PIC TOH BANTI HAI YAAR...

Hi there lxi, from the pics it looks like the tyres you have got is JK elanzos from the tread pattern.

Has the sticker from the bonnet been removed?

Last edited:
Hey lxi, congrats for your preLoved Scorpio, the black beast is looking awesome with the front bull bar.

Problems-
I have only felt the Third gear vibrations a bit irritating. The car starts vibrating (Which is noticeable) below 2200RPMs.
The Clutch is a Hard one. Will show it to ASS. The first owner said that he also went to ASS and they sprayed some Oil but the problem has came out again!
I thought Mahindra rectified this problem in the VLX model, because my cousin's Old 2.6 SLX Crde have hard clutch.Yes we were also spraying oil when we were on a trip, both of got cramps after returning from the trip And the next day he changed the whole clutch assembly of VLX for 11k.

Hey you can post the pictures here,no one will steal it, just black out the number plates for your privacy that's it.

Hey lxi, congrats for your preLoved Scorpio, the black beast is looking awesome with the front bull bar.

I thought Mahindra rectified this problem in the VLX model, because my cousin's Old 2.6 SLX Crde have hard clutch.Yes we were also spraying oil when we were on a trip, both of got cramps after returning from the trip And the next day he changed the whole clutch assembly of VLX for 11k.

Hey you can post the pictures here,no one will steal it, just black out the number plates for your privacy that's it.
Vishwas the mHawk's clutch are smooth.

Its the A.S.S that don't work on clutch until the customers complain.

My Hawk's clutch is smooth.

Thread Starter #15

lxi.

Suspended
congrats on your new acquistion. seeing the kms run on it i bet this was destined for you to used albeit the run in preiod.

just be cautious for a week or a month . then you would actually start to like the drive.

enjoying mine too [:)]
Thanks superbad. Yes, I will be driving sanely as it is the biggest car in the family (In road presence and size), so it will take me a moth or two to be perfect in driving it!

hope u can rack up the miles. enjoy the beast. the engine is a gem.
Thanks Type-R.

Congratulations lxi and your beast looks really nice in black. got a good deal on that one.
Thanks Singh. Yes, I know, Its beautyis even increased with mist silver cladding! However, Doesnt look nice from the Side with the cladding!

Congos lxi buddy,the Scorpio is a real beast,and the roar of these SUVs is really great.Just push them upto 4500 rpm and you find that everyone is looking at your car with their eyes wide open thinking like they have got a chance to spot some actor/actress..

I need some more pics...don't worry,no one will use your car's pics for their facebook cover pics or for illegal works...
EK INTERIOR PIC TOH BANTI HAI YAAR...
Thanks TSIVipul. Hehe. I drive sanely these days! As, I feel it too big for the City driving and feel a bit scary that it doesnt get a BUMP! Hehe. I know. But I am not at home right now. I am in Rajasthan (Not inside, Just near Neemrana) and will be there for atleast one month or 25 days, As my brother (Cousin) has got his office shifted and I am there for Fun! Hehe. Missing my cars! Only City is with me now! Just relaxing, No work to do! Sitting on the Chair and TAI'ing![lol]

Hi there lxi, from the pics it looks like the tyres you have got is JK elanzos from the tread pattern.

Has the sticker from the bonnet been removed?
Thanks. Didnt notice it! Yes, they are JKs but not sure of Elanzos. The Size is 235/70R16 Tubeless. Yes, The owner has removed the sticker. I dont know why he removed such beautiful sticker from it. I think he would have got some scratch or dent and the sticker would have been damaged (Torn), So he removed it. It is there at the Rear!

Thanks Vishwas. Nope, The Clutch is not that hard buddy. What?? 11k! Will show it to the ASS, But I am currently running short of Vitamin M!

Vishwas the mHawk's clutch are smooth.

Its the A.S.S that don't work on clutch until the customers complain.

My Hawk's clutch is smooth.
Will show it to ASS and they will do some Oiling near the Clutch. My friend said.

Top Bottom