My License Impounded By Delhi Traffic Police For 3 Months

Thread Starter #1
Hi

My DL was impounded by traffic police in Delhi for jumping red light for 3 months [frustration]

Also, police told me next time it will be cancelled for ever [surprise]

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: Licenses impounded by Delhi Traffic Police for 3 months - Red Light Jump

did you have any previous violations?
today i saw many traffic men on my way to work giving tickets to trucks and buses drivers. i have never seen them getting challaned.

they were also removing a truck which was present there for months using a crane.

did they say anything about a court challan ? maybe you can go to the court and get your licence back after paying the fine ?

Thread Starter #3
They said they are following SC guidelines. If anybody can help me get my license back, i will be obliged . They just gave me challan slip and police station adress to collect license after 3 months

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Not sure what is the SC guidelines, however in normal case a fine is imposed in such cases..[confused]
Hope you have not violated any traffic regulations in the past which may have recorded by the police in the earlier occassions, as not heard straight away cancelling a license just jumping the signal?

@Vaibhav: Are you sure your DL is impounded for the same reason?

I was challaned more than 3 times (4 actually) last year near Ambience mall Gurgaon by Delhi police twice for helmet, once for not wearing seat belt and once near Kotla for jumping red light and excessive speeding (The car couldn't stop actually) but my DL was never impounded. I once even asked the cop of DL impounding but they simply smiled and gave me receipt saying "it won't be". But yes, someone not known to me had got his impounded because he was caught driving drunk numerous times and was pleading the cops for giving it back to him.

OT: BTW Delhi cops are quite advanced, their handheld machine has all the info and the cops always told me date, time and vehicle number for the challans issued to me in past just by entering my DL number into their handheld. Maybe now they have all my info and hence they used to give me my challan within a minute of looking at my DL no. :stupid:

Important and confirmed:
Just had a word with a Delhi police official known to me. As per him since 12th December, over speeding, jumping red light and drunken driving will result in licrnse being impounded for 3 months. Not only this, if the person will be caught driving with license impounded then the vehicle the person is driving will also be impounded and stricter punishment will be faced.

Last edited:
I am in the same boat, my license was impounded on 9th January for over speeding, i was driving at 63 kmph at the 50 kmph zone. I am now waiting for 9th April so that i can get my license back from the police station.

As of now i am not allowed to drive (not even driving) because if i caught driving without license then my license will be further impounded for 1 year and i might have to go to jail as well. Delhi police can find out if you really forgot your license back home are you are simply lying with a handheld device.
Please do not go and file a fake FIR about the lost of license because if caught then you will be in real trouble.

^^Get a chauffy for 3 months; as simple as that and take care that he doesn't over speed, jump red lights or do drunken driving. Else what? Just imagine your chauffy also joining you in the list.

@Mukesh:
Sirji your post surprised me, I never knew there is an another silent warrior around. BTW I am now take special care while driving in Delhi. Recently I have been to CP and area around (Especially old Delhi) for my work and I was literally zipping around in my Polo (That's what I bought it for; quick city drives) but luckily I wasn't caught and will take care not to do the same again.

Thread Starter #9
TSI using ola share for both sides will cost me 12k per month

Drivers alone will come for 15k

I am using ola share

As outsider I believe - This is nothing but keep the Car Quantity in check so that Pollution Level come to a decent level which is what Delhi Government Doing.

So with this current 3 Months impound rule if a user violate any small Traffic rules twice a year his/her car will be OFF the Road for 6 months - assume only one member of the Family can able to drive the Car and got DL. Now think what happen if Delhi Police extend the impound for 6 months.

Also be prepared for false cases and this going to happen when Upper Management will set a Monthly Target for Fulfillment to Take OFF the vehicle from the road.

has all these measures resulting in decreasing the accident rates in delhi ?
I believe that they should show some positive results in the near future. Why? Because people don't bother much about fines and are okay with these puny 100-200-500 buck fines but getting the DL impounded is something much serious. In their true senses, however reckless the driver is; would never want his/her DL to be impounded and that also for a long duration of three months.

BTW this may turn into a money milking scheme too for the cops. People would happily pay even the 4 digit bribes for not getting their DL impounded IMO.

Last edited:
A pretty girl who used to be my classmate is now working with some IT giant in Noida. She drives a Wagon R and got her DL impounded in mid Jan.

Now recently I met the girl at Alumni meet and got to know that her DL is impounded but the hell with laws; she still drives daily to office and around even to Gurgaon and Faridabad and she doesn't give a damn to Delhi Police. Not only this, the girl has to say "I was caught once again and when constable asked for DL; I simply told them that 'apke pass hi toh hai (you only have it)' with a smile and he smiled back saying "you may leave but drive carefully".....

Women and laws don't go hand in hand I guess; I can bet that if this was a guy then he was screwed for sure. Or maybe this is our AAP Govts' policy of safety of women - "they can drive the car even if their DL is impounded". [frustration]

Thread Starter #14
TSI - Traffic police is not under AAP but BJP

Secondly, i have filed a RTI and asked
a) can we drive with copy of challan
b) any method to get DL before 3 months

Top Bottom