My Honda Civic SMT Ownership Experience.

Thread Starter #1
So many years I am planning to take a big car because I am very passionate about cars. As I am working abroad no one is recommending me to take a good one, even TAI friends also. Now my wife also passionate about cars, so finally decided to take one. My options was Civic and Jetta, if I was not there the monthly mileage will be around 200KM only, if I am there for two months it will comes to 5K to 6K, so the mileage is very less, so I decided to go for a petrol engine.

I got my Honda civic SMT on Feb 2012, Color is urban titanium.
The only difference between SMT and VMT is leather seat the blue ambient light and rear parking sensors only, so I choose SMT. It comes standard as automatic climate control, cruise control, fog lamps and ABS.

The good side: looks, stylish, engine performance, interiors, comfort, the digital speedometer
The bad side: ground clearance (still I didn’t face it, coz I used to be slow at humps, even I passed one hump which I didn’t see at 50KM/Hr but didn’t hit its body)

The Honda Civic is powered by 1.8 liter i-VTEC engine, 4 cylinder petrol engine and it comes with a 5 speed manual transmission. This one is coming with front and rear disk brakes which give us more confidence on high speeds. It comes with 15 inch 5 spoke alloy wheel, but the spare is a steal, have to pay another Rs10K for the spare alloy, which I did’t buy. The turn indicators are also integrated on the out side electronically retractable mirrors. The dual exhaust gives a very sporty look. The door handles and protectors come in body color in SMT and in chrome in VMT variant.

Entering into the driver’s seat we can see a digital speedometer, temperature and fuel gauge and analogue RPM meter. The alpine audio system comes with 6 speakers which is really nice, but didn’t have a pre out function for extra amp, actually didn’t need that because it gives a decent bass and treble. But I changed it to CASKA audio with DVD, map my India navigation, Bluetooth, reverse parking, IPOD, USB, SD card reader, picture viewer on a 7.2 inch LCD screen which cost me Rs45K. The seat is fabric beige color which I changed to STANLEY leather seat with matches to the interior beige color, that one cost me 60K. The automatic climate control AC is absolutely nice, can cool the car within minutes. It has four AC vents on the front side and two under the front passenger seats. If the airflow to downside position is opened, then only rear AC vents will works. The driver seat comes with a manual height positioner. All the 5 seats have height adjustable head rest also. It has lots of storage at front side also, two slide storage box and one under the hand rest on front side. It has illumination for key insert and for the buttons, so no need to trace the key hole at night time. Another feature is the cabin light will be off only after locking the car which is very useful. The trunk is also spacious which can keep two big briefcases and two smaller, it has an illumination light also. The window glasses are green tinted.

Starting the car is not so noisy, it is almost silent inside the car, and I found one sheet of sound absorber under the hood. Changed the gear and moved the car, the ride is so smooth, even in traffic also didn’t need to change the gears frequently. Overtaking is quiet smooth. The best thing I like in this machine is the ABS braking system, when I was on highway on higher speed, the cars in front of me has break suddenly mostly everybody’s tire has screamed and makes smokes. This one has stopped so nicely without loosing any control. Then I planned for a long trip it’s about 550 KM from my home and I didn’t feel tired through out the driving. I really enjoyed it. I used the cruise control on highways and was good option, but we cant drive with cruise control for a long period here, we will get a good reason to touch the brake, so that it will be disabled. On highways I get about 17KM/L and on city dives average of 12 KM/L. That is the only thing I never expect from this car, but I got it and still getting it.
For safety it comes with two airbags in front, ABS with EBD, anti theft immobilizer, but only one key has remote.

It’s totally a driver’s car..... [:D] [:D] [:D]

Attachments

Congrats Rocky on your new Civic !
The car is really a Head Turner. The mileage figures you have got are amazing.
Waiting for more pics and an extensive review !
Wishing You Happy Miles with your Civic !

Thread Starter #3
Congrats Rocky on your new Civic !
The car is really a Head Turner. The mileage figures you have got are amazing.
Waiting for more pics and an extensive review !
Wishing You Happy Miles with your Civic !

but workshop supervisor at honda told me others also getting the same in highways, Honda city has reached up to 22KM/L

Congrats Rocky on the civic , i have a civic too, welcome to the club!
17kmpl ?[surprise] - thats astounding for highway if you are getting regularly - what fuel do you use and do you drive very very sedately ?

great choice Rocky. i absolute love that shade. if i had to pick up a civic now, it would be exactly that shade.

@Iron Rock, bro i got almost 16kmpl from my 2.0 litre engine on highways. haha

great choice Rocky. i absolute love that shade. if i had to pick up a civic now, it would be exactly that shade.

@Iron Rock, bro i got almost 16kmpl from my 2.0 litre engine on highways. haha
Well i am guessing thats in bangkok and yours is an automatic ? - but out here with indian road conditions getting 17 is astounding , i have got a max of somewhere around the 16.5 mark with the shell fuel (liquid gold ! )

But yes i have heard civic owners talking of 17-18 kmpl (mid reading, but i would rather rely on the good old tankful method, my numbers above are from the tankful method. )

Thread Starter #7
Congrats Rocky on the civic , i have a civic too, welcome to the club!
17kmpl ?[surprise] - thats astounding for highway if you are getting regularly - what fuel do you use and do you drive very very sedately ?
i am using normal petrol, before i am using speed, but from honda they told me to use normal petrol only. i love driving at high speeds

I said 17KM/L as per the average fuel consumption shown by the gauge in the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your new Civic. Though it was launched in 2007, it still looks way more aggressive and eye-catching compared to others in the segment. Love that naturally aspirated motor. Btw, where are you in Kerala? In my place, Sales Manager owns a Jazz and he says he gets 22kmpl easily. I have even seen 28kmpl on City. 17kmpl for a car of this size is astounding. Lucky you! Do post more of your pictures.

Thread Starter #9
Congrats on your new Civic. Though it was launched in 2007, it still looks way more aggressive and eye-catching compared to others in the segment. Love that naturally aspirated motor. Btw, where are you in Kerala? In my place, Sales Manager owns a Jazz and he says he gets 22kmpl easily. I have even seen 28kmpl on City. 17kmpl for a car of this size is astounding. Lucky you! Do post more of your pictures.
I am from Thiruvalla, pathanamthitta dist. Honda says they are getting this much coz of i-VTECH technology.

Ah,it sounds very good to me when someone buys a good 'CAR' for his/her money instead of some 'TRUCK' thing..:tongue:

@Rocky:Congrats for the Civic,its really one gem of a car.In fact I call this car as video game because of its interior design.BTW,have you once opened its throttle in higher gears?I love the sound of this engine above 4000 rpm.It sounds like some sport car at that rev range.

@Iron Rock:Buddy you may blame me for speed thing and all,but when I drive in economy mode,I get better figures than you.How can I say that?
Because I have got 20.4 from City,17.1 from my TSi and 23.2 from my D-4D..
Will calculate for Civic too soon but I am sure I get 14-15 kpl overall in my drives.

@Iron Rock:Buddy you may blame me for speed thing and all,but when I drive in economy mode,I get better figures than you.How can I say that?
Because I have got 20.4 from City,17.1 from my TSi and 23.2 from my D-4D..
Will calculate for Civic too soon but I am sure I get 14-15 kpl overall in my drives.

OT for this thread, but keep trying Vipul, i am not blaming you for the speed just trying to prevent you from getting killed or killing someone, i would be more than glad if you break my economy records [:)]

Also rocky please calculate via the tankful method, MID reading can deceptive. Let me know - i for one want to know the tankful eco reading for a new civic.

MID reading...haha,I love reading 40 kpl in MID after you speed up the car at 80 and leave the accelerator and MID can be seen saying 40Km/l...:biggrin:

BTW,how you people can bear driving a Civic with cruise control 'on'?In fact any car with this nonsense thing 'on'.C'mon yaar,I like my car to drive on the speeds I want it to drive at any time.Although cruise control does not stop me doing it but still it makes me uneasy.

@Iron Rock:What you will do knowing the FE of a new Civic?As much I remember you are planning to sell yours and buy some diesel 'CAR' out of your money..[frustration]

Well i am guessing thats in bangkok and yours is an automatic ? - but out here with indian road conditions getting 17 is astounding , i have got a max of somewhere around the 16.5 mark with the shell fuel (liquid gold ! )
yes it is automatic version.

@Vipul- great going man!

Thats awesome mileage !!
Much more than what the i10 returns [lol]
The Jazz and brio must return much higher figures which would eliminate the need of diesels(I hope [evil])

Top Bottom