My Experiences as an Amateur in Motorsports

To finish first,First you must finish

so now I know what this means [lol]

could you break the long para into a little bit more small paras so that reading will be easy :please: .But take it if you like it or else leave it, but keep on going.

Thread Starter #32
could you break the long para into a little bit more small paras so that reading will be easy :please: .But take it if you like it or else leave it, but keep on going.
Youre absolutely right I should have done that.:sorry:
When I realized about it, it was a little too late and I couldn't edit.
Wish there was an option to edit later on too. And I will keep this in mind when I post next. Its a little hard on the eyes reading that post.

Thread Starter #33
These were some of the images from the 80's of the great Himalayan Rally. It was one of the most toughest of events in the world. And it was considered a big deal just to make it to the finish. The Himalayan Rally was the reason I got hooked into the sport as well.
The yellow car is a Ginetta G4. The last car you see belonged to a German team and the they did the 1980 event and that car is a Toyota Works Celica. The image you see of it with the European number plates is recent and is the very same car restored fully by its present owner.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #38
These were some of the best riders of Indian Rallying. The first and third Picture is of Jagat Nanjappa and the second picture is of Nippendar Jassy. Jagat Nanjappa was the inspiration for me to get into Motorsports. And Nippendar Jassy was a class act. He was even ahead of all the Group A Esteems in the super special stage at the 1999 Popular Rally held at Cochin. And that too was after popping wheelies while exiting corners. He was on a Group C Suzuki Shaolin.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #39
I googled for quite some time and managed to get some pics of some of my friends. Atleast I was able to get some good shots from that era. The second Picture is of Zubin Kersi Patel.

The fourth picture is from the 2000 Raid De Himalaya, ( I missed the event because my team mate retired from rallying and it would be out of bounds for me to do it alone, costs being the matter.) The Esteem you see there is a Group N (Stock/Unmodified), Its P.G Abhilash's car and he won the event beating all the Group A modified cars. Imagine what his skills might be to take on full blown modified cars with a Stock Esteem.

In the last image you can see how a rider on a Shogun attacks a corner (The rider is Rohan Rego), We used to call it an opposite lock and not a drift. Its a very dicey move, especially on a Shogun and if you overcook it down you go.

Attachments

Last edited:
Wow! Looks like you had a great time & enthralling momemt every day.

It great to hear your past.

And that Esteem is TN registered & feeling proud that he won with a stock car. Kudos to him :)

Thread Starter #41
Wow! Looks like you had a great time & enthralling momemt every day.

It great to hear your past.

And that Esteem is TN registered & feeling proud that he won with a stock car. Kudos to him :)
Well that Esteem belonged to Team Chettinad who were Abhilash's sponsors. He was from Trichur in Kerala.
Still have to complete my part of the story.

Nice set of pics Jalex. The modded amby and padminis are a visual treat. I cant imagine how these amby and padminis would have looked like and sound on those dirt tracks.

Thread Starter #45
This is a picture of Team JK Tyre from the Golden Years of Rallying in India.
From extreme left:
Karamjit Singh & Vivek Ponuswami, Manik Raikhy(a.k.a 'Maniac' Raikhy)& Shiva Shivappa, Nikhil Taneja & Musa Sherif, Hari Singh(a.k.a 'Hurry' Singh), Upkar Gill & -I dont know his navigator's name.

Attachments

Top Bottom