My Experience as an Engineer, as a Mariner.

Thread Starter #31
@ sethu. Yes that nose is called bow of the ship. This one is termed as bulbous bow. ANd when ship is not fully laden, it emrges out of water. And is most preferred resting place for sea lions at some ports.
@ auto lover. After 9/11 scene has completely changed. Even I have only heard about earlier times. Now we're always on tight schedule. Technology has been making our port stays shorter and shorter.

nozzzle ring could you shed some knowledge about the heirrarchy in the staff of a ship and what each of you do. what are the precautions you take while navigating pirate infested waters off the somalia coast. any incidence with pirates in high seas ? ever got ship wrecked?

Thread Starter #33
There are basically two departments on a merchant ship.
Deck department and Engine department.
Deck department looks after navigation, berthing/ unberthing of ship, loading/ unloading of cargo,etc. It consisits of Captain-Chief Officer-2nd Officer-3rd Officer- Deck Cadet- Able Bodied Seamen- Ordinary Seamen.
While engine department ensures all the machineries are running properly. The engine is available at all times, power is available at all times.
Engine department consists of Chief Engineer-2nd Engineer-3rd Engineer- 4th Engineer- Junior Engineer- Fitter- Motormen- Wiper.
Also there is a catering department, headed by Chief Cook, along with a 2nd cook.
Sailing through piracy area is very risky. But being careful, we can be safe. The ship maintains proper lookout while passing through piracy risk areas. We are always in touch with the related authorities. Ship is run at higher speeds. And some of the ships also take assistance of private guard services. Ships like bulk carriers and and tankers are at high risk, as they move slow and are easier to board for pirates. Container ships are relatively faster and difficult to board. Luckily I haven't faced any piracy incident. But I know few people who have been hijacked. And the situation gets very serious. We're at mercy of some crazy, trigger happy youngsters. You can be out safely in 3-4 mnths, if you're lucky. Its a very high level organised crime.
I have been fortunate to sail on well maintained ships. Never had any ship wreck experience. I have faced some extremely heavy weather conditions, but have been out safely.

Thread Starter #34
Few more pics

My Office
IMG_1766-800.jpg

Outside view from my cabin
IMG_1767-800.jpg

Alleyway on my deck
IMG_1769-800.jpg

Serene sky
IMG_1779-800.jpg

My cabin
IMG_1792-800.jpg

My cabin
IMG_1793-800.jpg

My comp
IMG_1790-800.jpg

Thanks for this awesome writeup Nozzlering.
I have travelled from Vishakhapattanam to Cape town 32 day journey in Belford Dolphin Drill ship. And I often visit FPSO and offshore rigs as part of survey and annual Inspections.
Like an amphibian -Name given by friends.
Safety first !

@ auto lover. After 9/11 scene has completely changed. Even I have only heard about earlier times. Now we're always on tight schedule. Technology has been making our port stays shorter and shorter.
Earlier there used to be parties onboard by outsiders, they used to setup shops (eateries ) in the aft with all the serial lights with music , dance and girls !!! This i have seen this in thai, Europian ports ( spain ) and in US also !!! Some of the ports in Thailand girls used to board the ship with pilots !!! Nobody can imagine these things now a days !!!.

About piracy... I have had one incident where some people boarded the vessel ( ship) during anchorage at Bontang ( Indonesia ) and took away some 15000 USD worth of things at night. They jumped into water when alarm was raised by ship crew!
One of our company ship was hijacked last year and was released after 5 months of captivity ! ( supposedly one of the shortest release of a hijacked ship !!! ).

Nozzle & Auto_Luver

It is great to note about pirates !! can you people please describe about some bad weather conditions like breath taking !!

Thread Starter #38
Thanks jayadev
There are many. Though no fotos. Will share one of mine. It was on of my earlier ships. I was on a bulk carrier loaded with coal from Australia, heading towards Japan. Weather forecast warned us about a Typhoon on our way (Typhoon Nida-- Every typhoon has a name). Somehow our company and Captain decided to face it. And believe me, that was scary like hell. Ship was about to be wrecked by the wind and water forces. We could see our end. Well, the ordeal ended after about a day. And we were safe. The ship's hull was inspected after unloading cargo. There were many cracks in the strengthening members. All I can say is, we were lucky. We're nothing in front of forces of nature.
Yes auto lover, even I have heard about the parties on ships. Thats a fairytale, told to every new seafarer. Even I have been told this many times now by some veteran seniors and crew. Life was at ease during those days. Ships used to stay at port for weeks- month at a stretch. Now a days its mostly a day, sometimes 2. nothing more. And more stringent drug and alcohol policies. And sadly all these rules and regulations are imposed by people who used to sail earlier, and were a part of the fairy tale.

Last edited:
Oh !! see the advanced technology of today one is on earth typing from Vizag(its me) and the other is in the sea(nozzle) typing from some where [clap]

Nozzle & Auto_Luver

It is great to note about pirates !! can you people please describe about some bad weather conditions like breath taking !!
We usually route the ships for avoiding rough weather but sometimes it becomes impossible to avoid.

Some of the Rough weather videos which I have taken ( this is not very rough because a person can go on deck to take video of the weather !!! )

MOV07414 - YouTube

MOV07415 - YouTube

MOV07416 - YouTube

Nozzelring superb pictures and Yes, with description I think it adds values to the pics. Your cabin looks superb friend..

AutoLuver we are expecting pictures from your camera soon. And regarding pirates, you are talking about pirates boarding in port, what about pirates try to capture the ship in mid sea? what is it called ?

Gurralla Ya it is really wonderful to have technology. When I was talking to freinds in US I used to think about olden days. Every person living in abroad can be contacted or he/she can contact us only thru posts. That too after lot of difficulties. Now you see, even if you are moon or mars, you can have a video chat with your loved ones. Great. So no matter whether it is water or ground[;)]

About piracy... I have had one incident where some people boarded the vessel ( ship) during anchorage at Bontang ( Indonesia ) and took away some 15000 USD worth of things at night. They jumped into water when alarm was raised by ship crew!
They are not Pirates but just petty thieves.

This kind of theft happens in many ports.

Heard about such theft stories in Chennai port too.

Hahahahahah Sethu, I couldn't stop laughing[lol], but I think it is more suitable for IT field I hope. No offence friends was just joking[;)]

Hahahahahah Sethu, I couldn't stop laughing[lol], but I think it is more suitable for IT field I hope. No offence friends was just joking[;)]
Ya Ya.. I know.. But I found for marine engineer. I do not want to change. and I have mentioned at the bottom that it can be replaced for any profession.

Top Bottom