My Experience as an Engineer, as a Mariner.

Nice Thread Nozzlering, Good writeup. All the members will get a fair idea about the merchant navy with this thread.
I will also try to contribute some of the pictures from my side too.
keep the thread going.
Happy Sailing...

Thread Starter #17
Sure. As common assumption goes that merchant navy is all about fun and globe trotting, people should know the reality that its a serious business. Our job demands us to meet really tight schedule. Money does flow in, but so does our sweat. Its exciting, and at the same time tough.
Please contribute from your side too.

Nozzle

Thank you very much for a superb thread and sharing all the experiences of a marine guy !! superb its just interesting like reading popular novel in instalments. Thank you for making us aware of such entire new things and life on sea.

I am glad that Siva also make a great contribution to this which will be very informative for us.

Please keep this alive with pics continuously to make us go around the world. Yeah it is not only funny to be a mariner, but at times it is very difficulty and dangerous too. We really look forward that you sail through without major difficulties.

I rate this as a Five star thread[clap]

Nozzelring/Siva am sure this thread is going to be major hit being this is all about a big AUTOMOTIVE [Ship]. Mr Shiva will start providing updated info may be after oct/nov till then we are very sure Nozzelring is going to have excellent write-ups with fantastic photos.

nozzle ring fantastic thread. keep them coming. hope to learn something about life in merchant navy. never had this option while i was thinking of a career in my teens and parents would have never let me join this career.
yes its the polititians who are killing the peace. if there is no problem any where these guys wouldn't have a job. they create a crisis and lets it burn and make money and name. its the same inside our nation and between nations.

Thread Starter #23
Sorry guys for delayed and intermittent updates. Internet was down on our ship.
Well we are slowly heading towards Fart east Asia. SLOWLY!
Yes. There was a time when ships were on a race against time (especially container ships). But after last economy slow down, owners realised that its far cheaper to run at slow speed. Also pollution is reduced considerably. So came in concept of Super slow steaming.
Though we work from 8 am to 5 pm, we're on duty, 24 hours. We aork for a collective aim, to transport ON TIME. Coal from Australia, grain from Canada, Cheap shoes from Thailand, electronics products and what not from China... The list is endless.
Here are few fotos. On ship, everything is extra large. Engine, pumps, piston rings, piston, etc. I have tried to display it in my pics. In one of the pics, I have shot 2 pumps together, just for comparison. For most of people on land, such size would seem unimaginable.

Attachments

Thread Starter #24
Foto quality not good. [anger] Will try another resizer.
Anyways. Will post more.
As a seafarer, I have come across many comments from people which shows there's a lot of misconception about us. Let me try to clear some of them.
MisconceptionsTruth
  • We keep sailing for 6 months. We are on ship for 3/4/6/9 months as per our contract. And we make port every few days.
  • We work under water. Thats called a submarine. Yes some parts remain below water level.
  • We are womanisers. Wrong. A womaniser dont need to get on a ship. They are omnipresent.
  • We have lots of money. Yes we earn high salary, but these days shore jobs pay better. And we get paid only for the time we are sailing. And the money isn't enough to compensate for the pain of staying away from family for a long time.

Thread Starter #27
Yes we get to hear these comments occasionally. Earlier I used to get worked up. [anger]. But now I am cool. Every one has a right to opinion, even ignorant ones. Anyways.
I have observed one thing. We in India and many neighbouring countries are stressed up all our life to earn money, thinking of a better future. We are actually never content. We live for tomorrow. And tomorrow never comes, actually!
But there are countries, which are poorer than us. And people there are so content. They live in present. You can see people smiling with very less. Thats a quality I want to have. Very difficult for us!
Anyways, more photos I took today evening.

Attachments

Last edited:
yes i too have read about mariners being womanisers. in the older time ( read it in stories ) young adventurous men who usually became mariners were pictured as having girls at each port they dropped anchor. the term ping pong syphilis is recorded in medical texts. in olden times when syphilis was a dreaded disease sailors contracted it in ports and would get treated in ships and cured but they would get infected in the next port itself.( must be some thing similar to the incidence of HIV being higher in inter state truck drivers some years ago.)

Foto quality not good. [anger] Will try another resizer.
Anyways. Will post more.
As a seafarer, I have come across many comments from people which shows there's a lot of misconception about us. Let me try to clear some of them.
MisconceptionsTruth
  • We keep sailing for 6 months. We are on ship for 3/4/6/9 months as per our contract. And we make port every few days.
  • We work under water. Thats called a submarine. Yes some parts remain below water level.
  • We are womanisers. Wrong. A womaniser dont need to get on a ship. They are omnipresent.
  • We have lots of money. Yes we earn high salary, but these days shore jobs pay better. And we get paid only for the time we are sailing. And the money isn't enough to compensate for the pain of staying away from family for a long time.

Yes we get to hear these comments occasionally. Earlier I used to get worked up. [anger]. But now I am cool. Every one has a right to opinion, even ignorant ones. Anyways.
I have observed one thing. We in India and many neighbouring countries are stressed up all our life to earn money, thinking of a better future. We are actually never content. We live for tomorrow. And tomorrow never comes, actually!
But there are countries, which are poorer than us. And people there are so content. They live in present. You can see people smiling with very less. Thats a quality I want to have. Very difficult for us!
Anyways, more photos I took today evening.
Just ignore those silly comments. Every profession those kinds of people are there.

Yes as you said, that is the value is being paid for the pain of staying away from family and that too for long time. I can feel this when I was talking to Mr. Shiva [AutoLuver] that how her daughter felt when he was away and how she is being close with him when he is at home [short period]. Cheer up friends.

Regarding pics, I have a small suggestion. if you could add a line of comment/description/name below each photograph which might turn into real info library. You can ignore this if it is not possible [due to time]

And I love these two pics.. Great friend

If we can see this Nose [or whatever] means does it with less load?

Lovely photograph of Sun Rays passing thru clouds. Great Pics Mr. Nozzelring.

yes i too have read about mariners being womanisers. in the older time ( read it in stories ) young adventurous men who usually became mariners were pictured as having girls at each port they dropped anchor. the term ping pong syphilis is recorded in medical texts. in olden times when syphilis was a dreaded disease sailors contracted it in ports and would get treated in ships and cured but they would get infected in the next port itself.( must be some thing similar to the incidence of HIV being higher in inter state truck drivers some years ago.)
As you have rightly said it's only in "Olden times", but the situation in any port is not so. Now the port stays are really very short that we don't even have time to fuel the ship ( Bunker ) or receive our provisions and spares. So, forget about going out to have fun . Of course, this is not true with all the ports, we do have quality time in some of the ports, but most people prefer to go out and explore the places rather than being a womeniser !
Second thing is that now a days people with good educational back ground enter into this field who are concerned more about their future and have a long term goal. So engaging in this short term enjoyment does not amuse them.
After the 9/11 the security has been tightened in all the ports in such a way that unauthorized people can't even think of entering a port.
So all the "so" called fun is taken out of shipping or seafarers. Now we are true professions engaged in Transportation business.

Top Bottom