My Experience As a Motorcycle Coach in India

Thread Starter #1
Hi all, I am new to this forum! This is about my experience as a motorcycle coach. Hope you will find it insightful. Motorcycle coaching is an unorganized segment in India, at best. India being the largest 2 wheeler market doesn’t help.

To fill this gap, I decided to start training people who did not know how to ride a bike. My aim was to:
- Address the lack/scarcity of riding schools in India
- Promote correct motorcycling knowledge and quality rider education

It has been quite a learning experience - the learning is both ways - not just for the rider, but for me as well. I learn new things about motorcycling I didn't know earlier. Sometimes, it gets demanding though - specially for learners who panic while riding. One has to observe each control input of the rider and correct/intervene when needed. The responsibility of rider safety is entirely on you (the coach).

So far, the following have been my observations as a coach:
- Men and women have equal riding skills
- Each rider is better than he/she thinks
- The average new rider’s problem area is gear-shifting, second comes U turns
- People are curious more about bikes, less about scooters, in general
- A majority of the riders enjoy wearing a helmet, which is a very positive sign
- 40% of new riders who come to learn are women
- For more than 95% of the people Counter Steering is an alien concept
- A majority of people are dead scared of the front brake pre-course and have various misconceptions about which brake to use in normal braking and the like, though by the end of the course they are fairly comfortable with panic braking also. I attribute this to the lack of knowledge of proper application of the front brake.
- U turns: By default, everyone’s one side turn (either left/right) is stronger/better performed than the other.
- Initially, the new rider sits tense and rigid at the handlebar controls, but as he/she becomes better at riding, the grip gradually loosens up and starts becoming more flexible and fluid - this is where the most improvement happens.

People’s response, so far, has been positive and the rider feedback post course completion is encouraging to say the least!

Top Bottom