My car was switched ON whole night!

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Hey all,

Last evening when I came back home, I accidentally left the car ON!

Note that engine was switched off but the key was left on ‘Acc’ position, causing the electrical to remain on. [cry]

Guess even the audio system was playing entire night. Realized this blunder when I couldn’t find the keys this morning.

Now what? Anyone else ever experienced this kind of odd situation earlier? I'm quite worried about the battery of my car.

Drive Safe!
350Z

Never experienced such issue before but i don't think you need to worry at all.The battery must have charged up completely when you rode your car.At the most your battery mite loose one day out of its complete lifespan.

Thread Starter #3

350Z

Core Team
Hey Neil, Thats fine but the problem is that my music system was playing whole night which might have affected on battery.

Drive Safe!
350Z

Oops ! I dint knew about the music system playing all night.
That must have really stressed the battery.I am sure you have checked the battery water levels.
That's the max you can do[;)]But still somewhere i feel you dont need to worry[:)]

not a big issue vibs.

the next morning, when you cranked your car, did it start properly? or did the starter motor strain to crank the car?

yes, the battery will of course get discharged but this wont affect your battery in a major way.

whoo, my cleaner did once kept the lamps on by mistake and i was out of town, so for 3 to 4 days they were on, and my battery drained out, but company recharged it and returned after 24 hrs, so if you were able to crank your engine properly then not to worry.

Thread Starter #7

350Z

Core Team
Guys, The car is working fine now. No problems in starting the engine etc. Let's hope it remains fine.

Drive Safe!
350Z

napster

Suspended
this happened to me long back, some 3months ago i guess, i came home late night at somewhere around 4am, and i was all stressed out, i was almost exhausted, i dint even park my car in my garage, i just reached my place, stopped my car in front of my garage gate, stopped the engine and went to my room and slept, next day i wokeup at 2pm, did all regular duties and all, later i realized that my car's keys are missing, i looked for them all around my place but couldnt find them, then i thought that i forgot them in my car, when i reached my car, i found my keys in it, i was relaxed but when i tried to lock my doors with my remote, it wasnt happening, i wondered why and then when i thought of parking my car inside, the car wasnt starting, then i realized the lights which glow when you turn on the ignition were not glowing, called the mechanic and then i came to know that my battery got discharged because i left the audio playing whole night, neons and parking lights running all night, got the battery charged the very next day, he charged me some 80rs and after that i faced no trouble with the battery nor the engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I, for the life of me cannot understand, how anyone can do such a thing as leave the keys in the vehicle ignition, that too in the 'ON' position, leave aside the lights/music ON etc.
No matter, how TIRED/LAZY/DRUNK/HIGH i maybe, i NEVER can do such a thing, NEVER!!!
To top that, i could never ever sleep if i ever did such a thing, NEVER! My vehicle is my LIFE! No girl friend of mine gets such attention as that of my Vehicle, thats why they all whine & cry!

Last edited by a moderator:
but guys, when the engine is switched off,the key should be turned to OFF position right? how could anyone switch off the engine without the key in OFF position? leaving the keys in the car itself is ok. but in ON position how is it possible? the only possibility is not using the keys to OFF the engine. that is to jerk the engine and stop it.

but guys, when the engine is switched off,the key should be turned to OFF position right? how could anyone switch off the engine without the key in OFF position? leaving the keys in the car itself is ok. but in ON position how is it possible? the only possibility is not using the keys to OFF the engine. that is to jerk the engine and stop it.
wise thinking, i must say. [:)]

I, for the life of me cannot understand, how anyone can do such a thing as leave the keys in the vehicle ignition, that too in the 'ON' position, leave aside the lights/music ON etc.
No matter, how TIRED/LAZY/DRUNK/HIGH i maybe, i NEVER can do such a thing, NEVER!!!
To top that, i could never ever sleep if i ever did such a thing, NEVER! My vehicle is my LIFE! No girl friend of mine gets such attention as that of my Vehicle, thats why they all whine & cry!

Ya i agree with you.
Pondicherry famous for its liquors and have seen lots of drunken people driving good and parking so good at narrow lanes and do lock there cars.

I can agree to some extent if you say that you have forgot to lock your doors. As soon as you switch off the hand will automatically pull off the keys right?.

And there is no need to worry . just charge them up. also check the water level in it.
Baterry's life dont come down due to this.[thumbsup]

Thread Starter #15

350Z

Core Team
There are 3 positions of an Ignition system.

1) The first one is marked as "ACC" which means "Accessories", When you slightly turn the key, You can operate all the electrical accessories installed in your car such as Audio System, Power Windows, Sunroof etc. [This is where my key was!]

2) In the second one (Marked as "ELECTRICALS"), When you turn the key to next level, All main electricals of your car can be operated such as wash wiper etc.

3) The third is the main postion (marked as "IGNITION") which is used to start the car.

When we completely turn the key, The Engine starts and we are ready to press clutch and put on the gears to get the car move!

Generally, Its recommeded to keep your ignition key on "Electricals" Position for 15-20 seconds before starting the engine.

Hope everything is clear.

Drive Safe!
350Z

Last edited:

Top Bottom