My Blue Eyed Tallboy Waggie (Pre-Owned Wagon-R) 2011

Thread Starter #1
My Blue Eyed Tallboy Waggie (A Dream of a middle class Guy)

Hello Guys,
I am bit late to write down the ownership review (actually 1 year & 3 months late) but better late than never.
First of all I must admit that I am not good at all with writing ownership reviews n all. Please bear with me for any mistakes.

Prelude:

Well, My hunt for my first car started in Sep-Oct 2012 when it became little awkward/uncomfortable day by day for me and my family (Wify + 2 Kids) to fit in on a HH Passion two-wheeler for our daily commuting/outings. Typical middle class guy I am [embarass]

The Hunt:

It was clear in my mind from day one that It shall be a Hatchback and a Maruti Suzuki. So very few options were in my mind considering by budget.
1. Alto
2. Estilo
3. Santro
and Last option was
4. Wagon R

After searching online on Carwale and similar sites, I got more confused for which one to go for. Finally one of my friend suggested me to go for True Value.

So accompanying with my friend I reached at Fortpoint True Value at Ghodbunder Road, Thane on 1st of November 2012. I casually looked for the cars there. There was a white Alto K10 2009 model with 50K+ on ODO. Car looked good but it didn't clicked to me really.

My First encounter with Waggie:

After roaming little more and after completely understanding my need, SA suggested me to have a look and Glistering Grey coloured Wagan R VXI APR 2011 model.

I was bit reluctant to go for it knowing about about Boxy look of a car (old gen wagon r). No offence to the owner of similar models as it was just my opinion about waggie at that point of time. But then I decided to give it a shot.
And untill then I haven't seen closely the new gen Wagon R [frustration]

When I saw this Wagon R VXI, And VOILA!!! (read Bingo) This was exactly what I was looking for. Much bigger and Airy cabin space neat and clean, 27k on ODO, Less boxy design and more of macho look of blue eyed Tall Boy. In-built Nippon music system with four speakers on door, much needed rear wiper for highway drives in monsoon. Electronic ORVM, Power Steering, factory fitted central locking-keyless entry, all four power windows, defogger, 14" tires

Heard from SA that, the owner of this car had visited to have a look at Ertiga with his college going son and his son liked Ertiga so much that they exchanged Wagon r vxi though they didn't had any plan to do so as Owner of the car was not happy to give away Wagon R but Finally ended with exchange because of his son. (I wonder if this story is original or borrowed one from somewhere to sell the car)

It was well-maintained and loved car, I took at test drive along with my friend who knows much better than me about the cars.

After long 2 hrs of negotiation price is finalised with 1 yr warranty, 3 free servicing at ASC and deal would be finalised only after a guy from my FNG will inpect the engine and other important things the next day.
Next day, after through check up ( I don't know exactly what he checked perticularly), guy from FNG gave green signal to me to move ahead with deal.

Delivery:

On the ouspicious day before 2 days of Diwali 08 November 2012, I took home this blue eyed Tall boy.
It was a very smooth and hassel free procedure for delivery after making full payment.

added accesseries over the time:
Sony Explode Amplifier
Sony explode sub-woofer 1300 w
Door Wisers for monsoon
Rear Spoiler
Blue LED's on all four door handles
Blue LED's to view ABC at night below steering wheel
White LED Dome light for cabin
Pioneer Tweeters for front
Rear view camera system with Bluetooth connectivity for answering calls and playing media of all types at 7" LCD screen.

I shall upload more pics and share my driving experience in coming days.

Please bear with me guys.

Looking forward for your comments/suggestions.

Thanks,

Yogs

Attachments

Last edited:
Congratulations yoscenario2000 for your tall boy , i have driven Wagon R for five years (Petrol + CNG) and believe me this is a really nice car. Wishing u a millions of happy miles with your ride.

Thread Starter #3
Congratulations yoscenario2000 for your tall boy , i have driven Wagon R for five years (Petrol + CNG) and believe me this is a really nice car. Wishing u a millions of happy miles with your ride.
Thanks a lot Mukesh [:)]

Could you please provide me the link for your ownership review of Wagon R, written by you, if any ?

Thread Starter #6
Congratulations on your new purchase . Happy Miles , Drive Safe
Post More pictures if possible .
Thanks Ankit and Anshuman. [:D]

I've purchased this Tall boy in November 2012 and completely satisfied with the Performance. [clap]

Here's one more glimps of my Tall boy during Highway Drifting[glasses]

Attachments

Last edited:
Preowned? Hard to believe, Its really shinning like new. WOW [clap] This 1 year warranty and 3 free services again makes you stress-free just like a new car.
Can you share the price details?
Wish you a very long, happy and safe journey [:)] Enjoy the ride.

*Make sure the battery of this car is the same stock battery which came along with the car from the manufacturer. IF not, make sure the new battery is in good condition. (avoid this if your mechanic has already checked it)

Thread Starter #9
Preowned? Hard to believe, Its really shinning like new. WOW [clap] This 1 year warranty and 3 free services again makes you stress-free just like a new car.
Can you share the price details?
Wish you a very long, happy and safe journey [:)] Enjoy the ride.

*Make sure the battery of this car is the same stock battery which came along with the car from the manufacturer. IF not, make sure the new battery is in good condition. (avoid this if your mechanic has already checked it)
Thanks Kichu
Yeah exactly the same reaction was of mine when I first saw & had test drive this car. As I mentioned earlier in Post#1, this car was not meant for getting change of owner but this happened as per the mood of the car owner's son to go for Ertiga immediately. And Father was in a dilemma as he don't wanted to get apart from Wagon R and at the same time his only Prince's ( read Son) demand. So finally he gave up for his son's demand. And I got this car.

I may sound too influenced by my car, but trust me dude it has proved its worthyness by all means. Its a complete family car.

Now answering about price, most of the guys may find this too costly but I cracked the deal from 3.65 k to 3.25 K for 1 year 6 month old car. And that too I made all cheque payment, and no finance as I don't wanted to take risk to loose this car coz after finalized deal with advance payment I met a customer who was ready to pay 3.50 K to me (and this guy refused this deal for 3.35 K an hour before). I know I would have get same deal with almost 20-25 K less if I would have gone for regular dealer rather that Maruti True value, but I am pretty sure that not with same condition of car. And 1 year warranty, 3 Free servicing,1 emergency failure assistance in Mumbai for one year. Though I am very happy that I never get in to situation to avail this emergency failure service.

And about the battery, it is a stock battery working very fine, no problem whatsoever till date. Touchwood [:D]

Thread Starter #12
That is a good deal. :) Its really little difficult to convince maruti true value people especially if its almost a new car.
Whats your petrol mileage?
Yeah.. It was a good deal indeed, only thing I forgot to mention was that I only got NOC for transfer of owenership from dealer and rest of the expenses for transfer of owenership were beared/incurred by me. And this was clearly decided while finalizing deal otherwise the deal could have been 4-5K more.

Insurance was also there for next 8-9 months. And most important Maruti True Value Certification to confirm all things are in place. [:)]
I got all my free services done at Maruti ASC and completly satisfied with it.
After completion of free services, I've purchased an AMC for 1 year from ASC which includes 3 services, 1 oil change, 3 WA and 1 polishing throught the year for around 6.5 K (don't remember the exact number). So my Tall boy is still in safe hands when it comes to nuture him when he needs periodically.[:D]

About FE, it roughly gives 14+ in city B2B Traffic with A/C
16+ in city B2B Traffic without A/C
17+ on highways with A/C
19+ on highways without A/C

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
Again, those are very good figures.[:)]
Can you please share your gear shifting speed / rpm.?
I am not sure whether the gear shift pattern that I follow is as per standard or not [thinking] but by adhering to the following gear shift pattern I manage to get above mentioned FE.

1st - 0 to 10
2nd - 10 to 15
3rd - 30
4th - 40 to 45
5th - 50 onwards

I never pull/revv the engine much with clutch pressed to get required momentum in upper gears, I prefer to shift downwards it its need be.
And I Always drive above 2K rpm up to 3rd or so then it must be above 3.5 k atleast.
Besides that I maintain average speed of 80-90 kmph on highways with some 100-110 kmph at times. [drive]

Could you please share your pattern ?

I am not sure whether the gear shift pattern that I follow is as per standard or not [thinking] but by adhering to the following gear shift pattern I manage to get above mentioned FE.

1st - 0 to 10
2nd - 10 to 15
3rd - 30
4th - 40 to 45
5th - 50 onwards

I never pull/revv the engine much with clutch pressed to get required momentum in upper gears, I prefer to shift downwards it its need be.
And I Always drive above 2K rpm up to 3rd or so then it must be above 3.5 k atleast.
Besides that I maintain average speed of 80-90 kmph on highways with some 100-110 kmph at times. [drive]

Could you please share your pattern ?
I was following almost similar to what you are doing right now, But Im really surprised by knowing the mileage you get from this. I believe both of our gearbox are same, isn't it?
1st 0-10
2nd 10-25
3rd 25-35
4th 35-45
5th 45+
This is the pattern I followed for a long period and I get the worst mileage from this pattern[confused] My average always use to be approx 13-14kmpl(with or without AC). BUt whenever I do a complete HIGHWAY mileage test it gives a decent mileage too and the mileage test conducted by MASS on highway gave a 22kmpl.
So I understood I have to change my driving style.

I started experimenting every possibilities. I tired to keep the rev as minimum as possible then also no improvement in mileage.

One day I decided to try with higher revving. I felt extremely difficult to follow this higher revving gear shifts and drove it for about 300kms within 20 days.
I went to the same petrol station and filled up the tank. It was really surprising I got an impressive mileage of 17.2kmpl under my normal driving routes.
My present gearshift pattern goes like this
1st 0-20
2nd 20-40
3rd 40-55
4th 55-65
5th- drives at 80

The best thing in this pattern i love is, the car turned into really peppy, responsive and powerful and no jerks in city driving conditions.

After getting this pattern I rarely use 5th gear(Will use only when the speed is above 65). I started using only 1st and 2nd in city driving conditions instead of going up to 4th. Now city driving seems to be very effortless since there is no frequent gear shifts :D

Now my present rev range is around 2-3k rpm and rarely goes to 4k(only when the situation calls for it) Even though I go above 3k rpm and with a 40% usage of ac my mileage stays above 16kmpl. Really happy :) My shoes are 175/70/13.

My highway speed use to be around 70-110kmph, the best comfortable and confident speed zone. After 120kmph Breaks are not much effective.
I like to drive smoothly without applying much braking so my highway speed varies with traffic.

I always do mileage calculation with full tank method and after consuming a minimum of half tank of petrol.

Last edited:

Top Bottom