My "Blue Boy" Hyundai i10 Magna Detailed Review

Hi,

1st of all congrats for ur blue boy...

The condition is very gud, n u hav got a real gud deal...

Btw bro I juz wanna ask u that the DRLs dat you have installed, what exactly is it n how mch did it cost u...

I really like these...

Thread Starter #48

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hi,

1st of all congrats for ur blue boy...

The condition is very gud, n u hav got a real gud deal...

Btw bro I juz wanna ask u that the DRLs dat you have installed, what exactly is it n how mch did it cost u...

I really like these...
The DRL strip merely costs 200 Rs. They are 4000 kelvin Rated LED strip. As this was a DIY, There are no other costs. I already had the wires, Diodes,Fuse and stuff at home.

The DRL strip merely costs 200 Rs. They are 4000 kelvin Rated LED strip. As this was a DIY, There are no other costs. I already had the wires, Diodes,Fuse and stuff at home.

Hey thanks for your reply.

But as I am new to it, can you explain me that what all things we need for this?(I am interested in interior lightings)
How to do it exactly?
And please give me step by step procedure(If u dont mind)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #50

bhvm

Honoured Member
Just a Small update.
The Blue Boy is very happy and trusty as always. The ODO stands now at 23k KMS. Most of the drives are around the city only. We have been getting curious looks about LED DRLs, LED headlights and Racing stripes (Decals).
I've had some longer (120KM Drives) to nearby town and the Boy was as good as it gets. Reliable and Cute. I've managed to Hit Top whack of about 110 in this car and anything above is not very inspiring. The safe speeds recommended in This i10 is about 70~80 KMPH.

But as I am new to it, can u explain me that what all things we need for this????(I am interested in interior lightings)
How to do it exactly...????

Thanx in advance.
I will give you all the details. The Guides are in Draft Mode and will be up next sunday. I have 14 guides in Draft actually.

For a rought Run down, FOOTWELL LEDs involve-
>Make the LEDs (To run on 12v)

>Wire them up and solder into small clusters (I used 4 LEDs per bunch)

>Find places and Stick the bunches with some adhesive. I put them under each footwell, Glovebox and behind the Handbrake for rear seat occupants

>Hunt a fuse that comes on with the engine and goes off with it. I have used DRL fuse.

>Enjoy!

Last edited:
Just a Small update.
The Blue Boy is very happy and trusty as always. The ODO stands now at 23k KMS. Most of the drives are around the city only. We have been getting curious looks about LED DRLs, LED headlights and Racing stripes (Decals).
I've had some longer (120KM Drives) to nearby town and the Boy was as good as it gets. Reliable and Cute. I've managed to Hit Top whack of about 110 in this car and anything above is not very inspiring. The safe speeds recommended in This i10 is about 70~80 KMPH.

I will give you all the details. The Guides are in Draft Mode and will be up next sunday. I have 14 guides in Draft actually.

For a rought Run down, FOOTWELL LEDs involve-
>Make the LEDs (To run on 12v)

>Wire them up and solder into small clusters (I used 4 LEDs per bunch)

>Find places and Stick the bunches with some adhesive. I put them under each footwell, Glovebox and behind the Handbrake for rear seat occupants

>Hunt a fuse that comes on with the engine and goes off with it. I have used DRL fuse.

>Enjoy!

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

Actually by this, I am not able to figure out how to do it.
How to make the LEDs (To run on 12v)?[confused]

So, can you Please send me that guides?[confused]

It will help me how to do it.

Thanks in advance.

Thread Starter #52

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hi,

Thanks for reply.

Thanks in advance.
First let me know which LED's you intend to use. White 5MM LEDs are 3.2v at 20mA. As automotive system is near 14v, you can run these 4 units in SERIES (Minus to Plus)
Array designer here-
LED series parallel array wizard
LED Resistor Calculator

Other option is to go for 12v LED strips you use for Decoration
These can be directly connected to 12v DC

Some Nice tutorials if you wish to use High power LEDs like Luxeon Stars-
High Power LED Tutorial #1 - How to Drive 1W and 3W LEDs from 12 Volts - YouTube
Lighting Tutorial: LED basics part 1 - YouTube

Something advanced-
Driving LED lamps – some simple design guidelines - LEDs

Thread Starter #55

bhvm

Honoured Member
Still teaser ,post some good photography with the XUV .[;)]
wow ankit! Great to have you back bro!

I have only 2 hands and usually don't drive 2 cars at once :-(

Ha ha ha ha!
actually the blue boy is awaiting photo shoot altogether. waiting for some nice vacation and good location.

wow ankit! Great to have you back bro!

I have only 2 hands and usually don't drive 2 cars at once :-(

Ha ha ha ha!
actually the blue boy is awaiting photo shoot altogether. waiting for some nice vacation and good location.
Awaiting for the pics .

Thread Starter #57

bhvm

Honoured Member
Just a small update.
The car is running fine but is usually returning a poor FE.
Only 12.9~13.5 KMPL despite being driven around 60 KM/H (this is the speed limit for my wife)

Other issue is that handbrake and ABS lights are coming up on dashboard sometimes. They vanish after a LONG drive but come back again next day.
What could be it? brakes feel fine to me.

Thread Starter #59

bhvm

Honoured Member

But as I am new to it, can you explain me that what all things we need for this?(I am interested in interior lightings)
How to do it exactly?

Thanks in advance.
Hi,

Thanks for reply.

Thanks in advance.
Awaiting for the pics .
For those who are waiting the LED DRL detailed guide-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...rl-low-cost-no-drill-approach.html#post417969

DIY LED DRL (Low cost and No-Drill approach)

Thread Starter #60

bhvm

Honoured Member
Gentlemen,
I am pleased to offer a long term update for the blue boy.

>The Boy carried is to the heart of India (Madhya Pradesh) on a 3000 KM round trip flawlessly and comfortably. We were 2 people and huge amount of Luggage (including a lot of Glass items).

>The ABS light rectified itself after few 100Kms. I guess the boy wanted to stretch its legs a bit.

>We had zero issues or punctures. I was worried about cracks in tyres but its fine.

>The bass and SQ in default Music system was impressive. Factory speakers too. After a long time we had to carry a pouch of MP3 CDs as the i10 does not have USB in!

>The poor performance of i10 petrol reared its ugly head as overtaking was not very enjoyable. However we still managed to overtake most of the Scorpios,Innova,Swift, SX4 and so on. Actually you should be seeing the look of my wife's face as i overtook a pack of Scorpios and travera going at 120 KMPH

>The boy refused to accelerate beyond 120 but I turned off AC and I could manage a final top whack around 140 KMPH on 4 lane roads. I seriously did'nt dream the Boy could run that fast. The car felt very stable at 140 as well.

>The little 1.1L engine sure felt strained at 140 as it gave a really loud roar like airplane taking off... I felt it was better to keep under 120 for long distance cruizing.

>I Noticed that the gearing ratios were a bit to short. It required 3000 RPM to cruise around 90 KMPH and over 4000 at 120 KMPH. I wish a 6th gear would be provided.

> Im still finding the headlights inadequate and I have ordered an H27 Fog lamp HID kit for the same.

> We got some VERY nice fuel efficiency figures as below-

Offroad/Bad roads, 100% AC- 15 KMPL
Jungle safari (no AC), 1st or 2d gear- 14 KMPL
4 lane highway, Energetic driving , (Upto 140 KMPH)70% AC- 17.88 KMPL
4 lane Highway, Sedate driving by wife, (Upto 90 KMPH)30% AC - 23 KMPL!!

Last edited:

Top Bottom