My "Blue Boy" Hyundai i10 Magna Detailed Review

Thread Starter #91

bhvm

Honoured Member
Does anyone know the process of adjusting headlight aim on i10?
The Low beams appear misaligned (Driver side is lower than Nav side)
Thanks.

Also, The ABS and parking brake lights are ON when driving. any Ideas?

Thread Starter #92

bhvm

Honoured Member
Last sunday, My Blue boy got some High beam assists!

These are special Lamps with a zoom lens in front that produce a VERY tight spot straight ahed. The spot at 2 feet distance is JUST 6 inches round. That should give you an idea how tight the beam is. Comparatively, Factory high beams spread the spot to about 18 inches wide.

A new relay harness was installed to sap power directly from battery and the trigger was joined to factory high beam cable. So as soon as High beam is turned on, these bad boys come on as well.

Each lamp uses 50w halogen bulb. I must say that safety has increased a LOT after this mods and a few flashes are enough to make others dip their beams for me.[evil]

As usual, I followed the unique No-drill no-fuss install method by fabricating special brackets that grip the bumper slats.

Attachments

Thread Starter #93

bhvm

Honoured Member
My Blue Boy just touched 30k Kms and Is in Need of regular service.
I rang up a few service centers nearby and no-one seems to have all the spares in stock. My major problem is, being in rural area and Min 100km away from nearest service center. I would like all spares to arrive before I do.

The things that need attention are-
Regular Service with oil/Filters change
Need new Tyres. (thinking 175/70 R13)
Heater is not working.
Hatch door lifters have gone loose, so Hatch does not stay up.
1 Power window switch is not working
Wipers need to be changed (Front and Back)
Reverse horn not working
Gear Leather cloth is worn out.

Thread Starter #94

bhvm

Honoured Member
Friends,
I am looking forward to upgrading the i10 Secondary lighting to LED. I did consult the manual, however only wattages are listed, Bulb type is not listed.

I need Bulb types of the following-
Parking lamps
Luggage area light
Cabin light

Please assist.

The i10 looks nice bhvm. Those high beam assists look really cool, in day time also. The beam looks very powerful, considering the dum illumination of other lights (headlights high beam, fogs) in a pic posted above. The white stripes could have been a bit wider (towards the inside).

And regarding the bulbs, I think you should check them out yourself. Cabin light bulb would most probably be the ones which we get in most cars (like in the New Swift). I will check in my friend's car and will let you know. Parking lamps are W5W in most of the cars and the i10 looks no different. The boot lamp can be opened (check instructions in owner manual) and you can easily see the bulb. In the New Swift, it is basic T10 W5W Halogen.

Thread Starter #96

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello IW,
I am glad you liked it. I also upgraded the LED DRLs to brighter, White strips (compared to warm white it had earlier).
Here are the old DRLs-
DIY LED DRL (Low cost and No-Drill approach)

I will check cabin and boot lamps today. Checking Parking lamps will require me to Remove the headlamp.[cry]. Other thing that worries me is, Parking lamp is very close to headlight H4 Bulb (I am using stock 60/55w bulbs) so the heat may damage the LED. I guess i will change headlamp itself to LED soon.

Yes, parking lamp will get affected by the heat from the halogens. But if you use cheaper bulbs, then it is fine to replace them once in 6 months, right? I had heard about Philips Halogen Parking lamps. They are similar to the parking lamps we hav but get a blue tint, looks good when off and a dim white when lit. But current consumption would be the same, 5w. Cost was around Rs. 130 or less, problem is the availability.

I didn't knew that changing the parking lamp will include removal of the headlamp. In the Marutis', changing the parking lamp is a one-minute job. Changing headlamp to LED would be great, but are these LED kits reliable? One would not want to risk an important part like the headlight.

What about aftermarket projectors, the angel eye would eliminate the need of a parking lamp!? [lol]

Thread Starter #98

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello again,
There's certain beauty to keeping your car OEM. I am running the factory parking bulbs and other bulbs since 2008! Even my headlight H4 bulb is factory. The OEM setup is extremely reilable and no fuss. That was the reason I am a bit averse to mess with headlights. And I went ahed with High beam assists (on seperate relay) whereas the usual option is to go with HID or 100/90W bulbs,In Headlamps itself

Once you open the headlight, its like a can of worms. Fuses start popping, Reflector/Lens goes dull, there could be moisture inside the lens. Sufficient reasons to keep me away from projector setups.

Maybe I shall delay Parking bulb upgrade until the Headlamp itself is upgraded to LED. It will solve the heat problem as well as look matched. These days decent LED bulbs are available,
This thread shall explain the difference to look for-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ed-headlight-conversion-bulbs-cars-bikes.html
The cree bulb is bright enough for Cars while consuming half power of OEM halogens.

I anyways do not need parking lamps as my LED DRL are really bright to stand out, be it day or night. And yes, In Both my XUV 500 or i10, Changing bulbs is a tedious process.

What Can I proceed currently are cabin and luggage lamps, which shall provide better illumination whilst saving power. What say?

Last edited:
Hello again,
There's certain beauty to keeping your car OEM. I am running the factory parking bulbs and other bulbs since 2008! Even my headlight H4 bulb is factory. The OEM setup is extremely reilable and no fuss. That was the reason I am a bit averse to mess with headlights. And I went ahed with High beam assists (on seperate relay) whereas the usual option is to go with HID or 100/90W bulbs,In Headlamps itself

Once you open the headlight, its like a can of worms. Fuses start popping, Reflector/Lens goes dull, there could be moisture inside the lens. Sufficient reasons to keep me away from projector setups.

Maybe I shall delay Parking bulb upgrade until the Headlamp itself is upgraded to LED. It will solve the heat problem as well as look matched. These days decent LED bulbs are available,
This thread shall explain the difference to look for-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ed-headlight-conversion-bulbs-cars-bikes.html
The cree bulb is bright enough for Cars while consuming half power of OEM halogens.

I anyways do not need parking lamps as my LED DRL are really bright to stand out, be it day or night. And yes, In Both my XUV 500 or i10, Changing bulbs is a tedious process.

What Can I proceed currently are cabin and luggage lamps, which shall provide better illumination whilst saving power. What say?
Yes, get good quality COB LED for cabin lamp. A festoon one is better as it directs the light straight into the cabin, is brighter and has the flexibility of fitting in different cars. For the boot lamp, I think even a DRL strip (COB ones from ebay.in) would suffice as it will not be used much. Connect it straight to the factory wiring (in between the connector) and paste the strip on one side/under parcel tray. It doesn't need seperate drivers and is pretty bright. But make sure you get the smaller ones. The 16 cm ones were I think 8w each, which will not save but use more power. Get the smallest possible option which would be around 5w. You won't be using the boot light for more than 10 minutes/day so I don't think energy saving is so important here.

Thread Starter #100

bhvm

Honoured Member
Good idea.
Rather than Purchasing new LED bulbs, I have 5050 LED strip leftover from my DRL project. Perhaps i could rig in a resistor and use a piece of these strip directly.

Each 5050 LED is 60mA each, about 0.2w @3.2v I can say. 9 or 12 of these LEDs could light up the place nicely while keeping power about 2 watts only.

Let me see if I have burnt out Festoon bulbs lying around. They could be used as dummy holders for this project!

Thread Starter #101

bhvm

Honoured Member
The Blue Boy will be going for 30K Kms service in 1 or 2 days.
I am also looking forward to replacing the tyres. This time with 175/70 R13 on stock rims.
My Use is either broken roads or Speedy highway stints. Please suggest me the tyres to go for. I am not looking forward to super expensive and soft compounds like michellins or like.

The Blue Boy will be going for 30K Kms service in 1 or 2 days.
I am also looking forward to replacing the tyres. This time with 175/70 R13 on stock rims.
My Use is either broken roads or Speedy highway stints. Please suggest me the tyres to go for. I am not looking forward to super expensive and soft compounds like michellins or like.
Hi bhvm.

Apollo Aceleres are good hard compound tyres. You can also look for Bridgestone and MRF (MRF preferred). Apollo Acelere is present in 175/70R13.

Post this in the below thread for a better response.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/accessories-modifications/2406-best-tyres-bad-indian-roads.html

Thread Starter #103

bhvm

Honoured Member
I'm here at ASS for Serviceing.
this will be a full blown servicing where all kinds of Oils and filters will be changed. general service cost is 7k.

it also includes gear oil, coolant and brake oil change. spark plugs will be changed. other stuff will be inspected as required.

boot lifters cost 1K.
rear Power window switch Costa whooping 2k!
glass buffing will not be done at ass, so will do outside.
reverse horn, heating, etc will be checked.

Thread Starter #105

bhvm

Honoured Member
Detailed Product review and Service experience will come up shortly.

Attachments

Top Bottom