My Black Beauty - Bajaj Pulsar 150cc Review

Thread Starter #1
Sorry for the very delayed report guys. Finally got some time today to prepare this report.

Yes i am owning my black beauty Pulsar150cc since 6/06/07. Clocked around 26k kms now and running fine. No mods carried out , i like my rides in stock condition , not much modification! Except for Bajaj's pathetic A.S.S i like everything about Pulsar!

Idea of buying a bike: I just entered into college and luckily my college was just 7 kms away from my home located in the heart of my city. Travelling by bus takes more than an hour and by bike it hardly takes 20 mins. So started pestering my dad for a new bike. But dad was very reluctant to allow me ride a bike without licence(I completed 18 only after first year)! Dad told me to take a Learner's licence and take my mom's Bajaj Saffire till i get my licence. I agreed to the same and passed one full year with my Saffire!

Come second year and i again started asking my dad and he agreed to give it as my birthday gift! So i began my search to get a good bike suiting my needs. I wanted Pulsar180cc but dad said nothing above 150cc strictly!

Bikes shortlisted: I considered CBZ Extreme , TVS Apache , Honda Unicorn and Pulsar150cc! These fancy Yamaha bikes were not present at that time and frankly speaking these were the best bikes at 2007! Apache straightaway ruled out as i din suit my height! I somehow din like the looks of Extreme also , so ruled out!

The serious contenders were Pulsar and Unicorn! I liked everything about the Unicorn but , Unicorn at first din have even alloy wheels! Pricing was almost similar to Pulsar but Pulsar offered Digital Speedometer , Self-cancelling indicators , Alloys wheels , LED Tail lamps and looked better than Unicorn. And many of my friends suggested to go ahead with Pulsar(it was THE bike at 2007). And also the specs of Pulsar were slightly better than Unicorn.

So i decided its going to be Pulsar and said to my dad about the same. He agreed and said we will go to the dealer tomorrow morning.

The big debate about color , happens in each house: After he accepted i immediately told i needed only black! Dad has no problems in owning a black vehicle , only mom refuses black always! Mom said no instantly! I showed a picture of black Pulsar to both of them and dad said okay go ahead but mom still din accept! Finally mom agreed to black after sometime and boy ,i was happy!

The big disappointment: Like everybody i was so excited about my bike and had a sleepless night! Next morning me and my dad went to showroom(KLN Bajaj in Anna Nagar) , it was a friday. When enquired came my biggest disappointment , he said black is not available currently and it will take a week's time. He offered me red for immediate delivery but i was very stubborn about black! Then he said i had to wait till next week and we paid advance booking amount of 5k. I returned home dejected!

Monday morning i got a call from dealer saying black color has arrived. I immediately informed my dad about the same. He told we will pay the full amount by noon. I was so happy now! By noon we went to the dealer again and finished all formalities like insurance , accessories and paid the full amount by cash. OTR Pulsar150cc costed something around Rs.64k including the accessories like seat cover ,tank cover and engine guard. He asked to whether i need bike today evening or will wait till wednesday to get it after registration. I was so excited that i said i wanted bike immediately! He told me to come around 5PM in the evening and the bike will be ready for delivery!

The delivery day: Evening again me and my dad went to the dealer and the bike was being washed. Dad saw all color's in Pulsar150cc standing in stockyard and said black is looking best! Accessories which i opted for seat and tank covers were next fitted. Then finally the bike was bought outside. I drove it to the nearest petrol bunk , filled fuel for Rs.200 and vroomed away home with dad!

Then after reaching home , mom also said bike is looking great in black! Then took mom to a nearby temple , offered some pooja and then dropped back mom at home. After that vroomed away to meet my friend's who were eagerly waiting to see the bike. We did a couple of rounds in my new bike around my place and boy , it was a great day!

Maintenance and Service: Its been three years now and the bike is still running fine and is in good condition. The engine has become a little noisy but apart from that everything is good. Bajaj's A.S.S next is pathetic! KLN'S workshop is even pathetic! I have to wait atleast 15 mins each time for dropping vehicle and also while delivery. They wont attend to all problems i have mentioned and will leave out some. Its not very worse but still not very satisfactory! Sometimes they say will add unnecessary things like teflon coating and other things and provide a bill of more than Rs.1000!! I will say i don need anything extra apart from normal oil change , but still i see some people falling for them and paying those bills! And more than that they will say they can give the bike only after 3 days! So i am servicing it at Venkatachalam motors in Ambattur , their servicing is better and they give the bike back the same day if i leave it in the morning for service. Each general service costs around Rs.400-500.

The problems which i faced in my bike so far are:

1. Changed the chain guard once which broke off due to rusting worth Rs.700! I don know whether Bajaj's quality is poor or is it due to Chennai's salty water!

2. Changed both my horns once , stopped working after a severe monsoon!

3. Changed LED tail lamp assembly worth Rs.750( a car banged into my bike from behind)[frustration]

4. Now have to change my push button start , it has stopped working!

Apart from these i have not faced any problem so far and the bike is in good condition and maintained well. Just like fill it , shut it , forget it![cheers]

My running , performance and Fuel Efficiency: I had college 6 days in a week! So my daily running comes close to 15kms a day and on sundays will roam whole of Chennai with my friend's. I completed around 23k kms in my bike before i got my car and so the bike i now being used by me younger brother for his roaming around purposes. Previously my bike used to run close to 10k kms a year but now hardly its running 3k kms!

I never used to drive my bike fast. The maximum i have done is only 100kmph once in ECR , just to check the performance! Apart from that i never speed in my bike and always wear a helmet. I get a FE of around 50kmpl if i drive around 55-60kmph and once i got even 60kmpl when driving not more than 40kmph! Now my brother revs the engine slightly more and he is getting a FE of around 40-45kmpl which is not very bad!

Enough of the report now let the pictures speak!

Attachments

nice report buddy, one thing, why on your last few pics, low fuel lamp glows seems you drive with that or was that just a co-incedence with the pictures.

Thread Starter #3
Thanks Vijay! Yeah i fill fuel for only Rs.100 each time , so that low fuel lamp will be glowing in my bike most of the times![;)]

Thread Starter #6
Well dropped my bike for service yesterday evening and got it back today evening. The bill is Rs.1800! As i have mentioned before my self-start button had to be changed and along with that centre stand also needed to be changed because it had broken off due to rusting! Apart from that one of the pilot lamp bulb needed to be changed , regular oil change and i felt disk pad needed to be changed.

General Service-Rs.300

Oil change-Rs.270

Centre stand-Rs.350

Self-start button-Rs.670

Disk pad-Rs.154

Labour-Rs.75

Bill rounded off to Rs.1800 since i know them very well and i service my bike only at that place regularly! All the issues have been resolved now , the bike is in perfect condition! Only the tyres need a change now after almost 30k kms!

hey Dhaya!

nice report man! wanted to write up an long-term for my pulsar and was worried if I would find any bike ownership reports in here.

Luckily there are many and I will follow soon with my own! had planned it for this week but my idiotic office schedule let's me come home at this time in the night [frustration]

Cool report man!
Lucky that your pulsar is in good shape.
let holy satan tell his tale . he also rip his bike . i remember it clocked 65000 kms last time when i saw them.
And service !!!!

Thread Starter #10
Thanks Ilango though my bike looks in good shape it does not ride like it was before! The engine refinement levels have come down considerably in just 3 years!

65k KMS??!! , would love to see the bike's report soon!

Thanks Ilango though my bike looks in good shape it does not ride like it was before! The engine refinement levels have come down considerably in just 3 years!

65k KMS??!! , would love to see the bike's report soon!
Yeah he used to come to coll in bike.
then after moving to chennai - its regular chennai - pondicherry trip on weekends.

some times its chennai - trichy trip!

65k KMS??!!
too strange, is that normal or having some problem?65k is not much for a petrol engine!!

Thread Starter #13
Hey Jayadev my bike has clocked only 27k KMS , Holosyatan's bike has only covered 65k on the ODO!

I think all Pulsar's lose their refinement after a few years. Most of the old Pulsar's i see are a bit rough and noisy.

Top Bottom