My Beloved Yamaha RXZ Ready To Roar 'n Smoke

Thread Starter #1
Hello everyone!
I bought this Yamaha RXZ in december 2012 and restore it to stock condition as far as possible except for the handle bar which looks good on this pearl white color.
Actually i had a RX100 which i bought second hand in 2008 but sold it in 2010 and face a lot of problem while restoring and never got the satisfaction. but after selling it again the 2 stroke addiction bugging me.
One fine day i just saw a yellow RXZ in very bad condition but only then i notice the some of the segment first features on that like Tachometer, centre locking, 2T oil level indicator and later came to know about the disc brake and alloys. I started my research on RXZ and looking to own one, i came across two bike one in red and other in black and bought the black one since that was in good condition.
After this i first started to procure the parts, since i reside in Andaman and Nicobar Islands i face a lot of difficulty in getting the parts. I was lucky that somehow i got the body panels here at one shop although not original. Taillight, Headlight, wiring kit, RPM worm gear etc i got it from Mumbai and Delhi.
I got the complete disc brake setup from a scrap Pulsar classic for 2000/- and spent another 1000/- in repairing. It is a direct fit without any alteration. While choosing the color scheme i got confused between racing blue and pearl white. Since i was against the idea of painting the engine block and clutch cover black, pearl white was always considered as second option. My luck did not favor to get the black/white 5 speed sticker which i am very fond of and what i managed to got was a 4 speed red color sticker set. So racing blue was out of equation and i finalised on Pear White and here is the out come.

Attachments

Last edited:
Re: My beloved Yamaha RXZ ready to roar n smoke

It's indeed a great work. Congrats on your successful restoration. Its great commitment from your side; as getting parts (for discontinued bike) wouldn’t have been easy in Andaman Nicobar.
The bike is looking really beautiful. If you ask me, she is looking the best in Pearl White.
Great job.[clap]

Last edited:

Dear Vikash,

Great work there, especially considering the effort taken to get the goddamned parts at Port Blair.

The raised handlebar doesn't look bad at all. Please share more details about the restoration. Did you do anything to the block/piston/crank? How does she run?

Just a suggestion, the original chrome covers for the rear shocks and the smaller lettering (YAMAHA) on the clutch cover would make your motorcycle look even more original.

Well done.

Regards,
Sam

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4

Dear Vikash,

Great work there, especially considering the effort taken to get the goddamned parts at Port Blair.

"The raised handlebar doesn't look bad at all. Please share more details about the restoration. Did you do anything to the block/piston/crank? How does she run?"

"Just a suggestion, the original chrome covers for the rear shocks and the smaller lettering (YAMAHA) on the clutch cover would make your motorcycle look even more original. "

Well done.

Regards,
Sam
Thanks for the compliment!
Since the previous owner had done the rebore in the recent past and no unusual sound from bore and engine makes me concentrate on cosmetics restoration. Although i have serviced the clutch housing, changed the clutch plates etc. I am saving money to buy a new bore to be used in future becoz i am not interested in reboring especially here in Andaman.

Actually both the rear shock absorber although working fine showing the sign of rust so i just paint them Matt Black for now which also look good in white. I am little confused whether to buy OEM yamaha Shocks or fit some other bike shocks. After painting the bike pearl white i want very few chrome parts on it. If you have any suggestion kindly share with me.
I have also affixed the original YEIS YAMAHA sticker which i got yesterday after a lot of search.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #5

It's indeed a great work. Congrats on your successful restoration. Its great commitment from your side; as getting parts (for discontinued bike) wouldn’t have been easy in Andaman Nicobar.
The bike is looking really beautiful. If you ask me, she is looking the best in Pearl White.
Great job.[clap]
Thanks Pharaoh

Getting any parts other than those shared with RX100/135 is absolutely difficult. It took me nine months to collect the parts. Still searching for some of the parts like new Tachometer, Pilot lamp console and pricol 2T oil pump.
Though i dont have any mechanical experience but i am more of DIY guy. i have almost all the tools which come handy in minor repairs etc. I never leave my bike unattendent with mechanic and closely absorb how and what he is doing so that next time i can try the same.
Restroing needs lot of patience and be prepared for anything may go wrong at anytime.
I like to share one incident like when i bought the bike my tacho was not running because the plastic worm gear was not there and also the cable. I some how managed get hold of the parts but didnt get the spacer and washer to keep allign the worm gear. One fine day i decided to use my brain and open the clutch cover to find how i can make such spacer of same specification. i first measured the size of the bolt on which the spacer and worm gear will fit, then bought some bushes and roughly taken the measurement of my own and taken the bush to the lathe where i asked them to cut to my measurement and also told them to make 3 to 4 pieces in such a way so that this will be + or - 1 or 2 MM from the measurement i took. After that i started putting one spacer after another and choose the one which actually fits well. And at last i was succussful[clap] . Now very recently i also got hold of the original spacer and after comparing the one i prepared it exactly matches the OEM standard.

Thread Starter #6
Here are few more snaps of my Z

Actually there is not even a single 5 speed RXZ in Andaman so my future plan is to get hold of RX135 5 speed engine and completely rebuild it and swap in my Z. i am also looking for gladiator alloy wheel setup to be installed, but my worry is as i installed pulsar disc brake setup whether that will accumulate gladiator alloy or not?

Attachments

Dear Vikash,

1. Go for the original Yamaha shocks if possible.

2. Unless you are in love with Gladiator alloys, I would suggest go for Pulsar alloys since you already have the Pulsar disc. It'd be a straight fit. Else you may have to go for the entire front fork assembly of the Gladiator (forks + wheel + disc assembly).

3. Go for something that is easily available at Port Blair. That way, even if something breaks down/requires spares, you shall be able to repair it easily and spend more time riding the motorcycle than sourcing parts for it. And that's the way its meant to be, isn't it?

Regards,
Sam

Thread Starter #8
Hi!
I want to discuss Two issue i am facing for quite some time in my RXZ right now.
1. It smoke a lot specially after replacing the 2T oil Pump Seals. In my opinion the 2T pump is stuck in full mode because now the flow is more compared to the earlier setting and there is no change in flow with the Engine RPM. To find the root cause i replaced the crank oil seal also but it is of no use the situation is like that only. I ride my bike only on weekend for casual ride therefore the running is very low and could not figure out if gear oil is decreasing. When i bought the bike the color of the spark plug was tan in color and was showing the healthy sign. but now the color is black with oily residual on it and is not the good sign. I tried leaning the carburetor setting but is of no use, now my air screw setting is one and half turn out. Now i am thinking of dismantling the 2T pump and will go the premix way to find the exact issue.

2. Second problem is when i de-accelerate in top gear or in 3rd gear the bike is giving jerks, and especially at speed above 35 KMPH. I am aware of the same problem in RXG but i think it was rectified in later RX135 and RXZ. When i bought the bike this issue was not there and i didn't even touch the bore and engine. I didn't even recognize when this issue was arise and what was the cause. Following works were undergone and parts changed before and during the restoration.
1. Complete wiring kit
2. Ignition coil
3. RR Unit
4. CDI Unit
5. Crank Oil SEAL changed
6. NGK spark Plug
7. Reed Valve Gasket/Packing
8. carburetor cleaning
9. Air filter replaced.

Can you guys please help me out with your suggestion on he above problems?

1. Recalibrate the oil pump or replace it with a new one in case recalibration does not yield satisfactory results. If replacement is not available, chuck the old pump and start adding 2T oil directly in the fuel tank with petrol. The plug is black and oily because of excess oil being pumped.

2. What kind of jerks? Could you elaborate? I hope the motorcycle isn't misfiring. Have you experimented with the plug gap yet?

Thread Starter #10
2. What kind of jerks? Could you elaborate? I hope the motorcycle isn't misfiring. Have you experimented with the plug gap yet?[/QUOTE]

Its not misfiring, whenever i close the throttle at high speed especially in 3d and 4th gear the bike gives jerks front and back like i am sitting on a horse. It disappear if speed comes below 20 or i engage clutch. I do not face any pickup issue or any misfiring it happen only while throttle get close at higher RPM.

Maybe the fuel is getting cut off abruptly when you are closing the throttle. Check the throttle linkage and look for a sticky carb butterfly. Replace the jets if you could find new ones. Also check the plug gap, just in case. Have you cleaned the fuel tank? Hope there is no rust in the fuel line.

Thread Starter #14
Nice knuckle guards. Where did you source them from and for how much? How is the motorcycle behaving now?
This Knuckle guards is from Hero Impluse and the price is Just RS 39/- per peice. As it didnt cost much i thought to give it a try in my Z and it fits well. First was thinking to paint it white but later drop the idea because according to me it will look much larger in white. I pasted the Yamaha logo which comes in Fazer and SS125 tank and done stickering.

Top Bottom