My Alto Sportz Baby From Sri Lanka

Thread Starter #1
My Alto Sportz Baby

Idea - even in the mid of 2010 buying a new or used car in our place is too expensive as the all the cars are around 1mil even after using 5-10 years so even though I had a high salary it was very difficult to maintain a one. But after joining a new international company (PEARSON) the need of having a set of wheel was a indication of showing the position and also our travelling was increased 100% within in few months since my wife had to go to universities on weekends and also travelling in public and private transportation was a headache for me since it waist lot of time. So I was ready to buy my own used car but my in-laws was concerned about this and they told us to get a a brand new vehicle for us since used vehicles were not so sure from the trouble prospective. So we were planning for a Maruthi 800 but a sudden decision from government change the import tax of the vehicles and the vehicle price vent down like a rock thrown to a water tank. olahhh..

Next day I went to our Maruthi authorized dealer Associate Mortar Ways and checked the cars and they were very helpful on details I must say(I have read many experience from users in the forum) and I must say I'm 200% happy with them. And my father in law was very happy with my choice (ALTO Sportz) and he asked us to buy fire brick red in color. But since many has done booking the waiting time was 3 months which I have done the booking on 8th of June. So paid the initial payment and started waiting.
Mean time I started taking the driving lesions and I sat for the written test and got passed and then had to wait 3 months of probation period to take the practical test with a examiner which was given the dates to December. mean time I started doing research in the car (I was very new to the automobiles) and read many articles and forums too and I must say I have gathered many details and I was keen to grab the car quickly as I can and made several calls to my dealer and asked about the delivery date.
Delivery -One fine day on August the GM of the AMW my area called me and asked me "there is a ALTO Sportz model is there which was delivered for a customer who has done the order for a lease but could not clear it quickly enough so if you like you can do the full payment in cash and take it" I was thrilled and told my father-in-law and he called the bank and did the transfer next day morning. And the dealer asked me to come to the shop and fill some documents which is need to send to DMV for registration.
I went to the dealer next day (8th of August)and sign the papers and he told me if I like I can take the car home with the chassi number but I sail I will wait till next week to get the car with the registration number .
Waited another week went and got the car and did all the checking on checklist . But the number plates will delivered in another week and the ORVMs and original mud flaps are out of stock once they are received they will contact me. I said ok and one of my uncle's drove the car back to home since I was still on probation for the driving license. My wife was very happy since every one was told her that it was a gift for her b'day which was on 4th.

Mid of next week GM of the dealer shop called me and told the number plates are ready and in the weekend I went to the shop again with my father-in-low to fix them and mean time few add-ons was fixed too a set of roof railings(my father -in-law likes this very much) , a set of bucket carpets ,mud flaps and bought a cover to cover the car .
By beginning of December the dealer called me asked me to come and get fix the ORVMs and I got fixed them. But still I couldn’t drive the baby since still the examiner didn’t gave me a date for test.. I was furies about this and called several times and managed to get a date on 22nd December.
Finally got the license and managed to take the car for a drive. Wow I was soooooo thrilled. And me my wife and Sister-in-low was wit us we went here and there for few hours and came back home.
After that I bough the baby home where we stay(Colombo) and some time I travel to office in it (depending on the time I go to office.)
Price before the price reduction - SLR 1.7mil INR 0.693mil
Price after the Tax reductions -1.3Mil 0.530mil

Options- P/S , body colored bumpers, rear spoiler with stop light , JVC KDR416 MP3 player with USB, fog lights , Alloy wheels , Leather seat covers, feather touch ORVM's , glass tint , security system with remote locking and remote start (optional). Our dealer AMW (Associate Mortar Ways) done the registration for me in our DMV (this saved me another 10000 bucks).

Add-ons - roof railings , bucket carpets ,window wiser ,cigarette lighter (for charging the mobile and laptops)

Problems - there are two problems I facing now. A huge sound comes from the left side shocks as it goes to a pitt hole and AC controller has been gone hay-wire as I cannot control the function knob on AC panel. I have taken the baby to the dealer and he will replace the shocks on both the sides and check the AC unit on Monday as it was bussey day and lot of people was there.
I bought a cigarette lighter from out side shop and asked them to fix it they took about 20 min to fix it and walah.. Done but when we operate it it got shorted and fuse on stereo went poof.. And the mechanic replaced the fuse and smiled and replace the cigarette light unit with a another one..so all were done.

Modes (expecting) - gave a order for cable comp back door opener unit , rear parcel tray , power windows(we have a Japanese ALTOin our country which is 650CC and it’s a AT and comes with power windows. my engineer in dealer said almost any part from it can be fixed to this ALTO so I'm planning to get a unit from a Japanese alto and fix to my one).

Last edited:
Re: My ALTO Sportz baby

Excellent writeup Kamal. Do post some new pics of your ride.

Thread Starter #3

Thanks Akash. ill upload the snaps in evening. need to scale down the snaps to upload.

Nicely written article about ur baby. Wish you miles of Happy and Safe motoring in ur Alto [drive] Do post some pics

Very nicely written report bro! Waiting to see pictures of your car now.

Am surprised to see you have to even wait for months to get a valid DL there , here one can get it in a day! But good if the system is pure and DL is given only in merit.

Nice pictures Kamal. The engine bay look s super clean, maintain it like that. Wish you lacs of happy miles with your ride[cheers].

Thread Starter #8

to get a valid DL is first need to sit for a written test which will be for 2 hours and if you got passed have to train from the valid trainer for 3 months then we gets the date for a drive test with a examiner and if we pass from this we gets the temporarily for 6 months till we gets the valid licence and even after that if involve any mortal accident we will loose the licence for ever. but trust me even after these much procedures some drivers are there who care for nothing. special heavy vehical drivers , auto trisho drivers and bikers they dont have any rules.
-----------Next Post-----------
thanks Akash

Last edited:

Hey Kamal, Your alto looks uber cool.

Pretty neat & well maintained.

Wishing you lakhs of happy miles!

Brother Congratulations!!!:)))
This one looks great with those cool alloys.BTW Do u have to drive on highways??If yes then u should upgrade your tyres from those mrf zvts cos those tyres have a long life but not good road grip.So its good for city driving but not for highway drives where the speeds are generaly above 70 km/h.

All the best wid ur new ride..Drive safe!!

to get a valid DL is first need to sit for a written test which will be for 2 hours and if you got passed have to train from the valid trainer for 3 months then we gets the date for a drive test with a examiner and if we pass from this we gets the temporarily for 6 months till we gets the valid licence and even after that if involve any mortal accident we will loose the licence for ever. but trust me even after these much procedures some drivers are there who care for nothing. special heavy vehical drivers , auto trisho drivers and bikers they dont have any rules.
-----------Next Post-----------
thanks Akash
I like the rules and procedure there, If we had that in India with proper execution, Then we would not have 320 something Road Traffic Accident deaths everyday.
Sad to learn that execution of laws there is almost like over here. Offenders on the loose.

Thread Starter #12
front shock-ab-sobers changed and Fix the AC vent.

Thanks guys. alok_student2000 - we don't have many highways in my place.if we travel 100km on the road we will have several city areas passed. so i usually travel 50-60 Kmph speed.so MRF is best for right now. when the time comes i will change these to Michelin or Goodyear set of tyres.
i was with our AMW workshop were i had complained them about the problem in AC went not closing properly and a crack sounds which comes from the left Shock. they asked me to come to the there workshop early morning and i went there.
One of the supervisors came and asked me about the problem and i told him about the problem and he called the Shocks specialized technician and shown the problem he draw the car for 100M on the road and said need to change the left shock and it took him 45min to change and asked me to draw again.. wow it was really fine after the change.
Then the AC problem... the AC technician came and he did few checkups and he said there is a kind of a door which change the vent flow location. he just checked and said " definitely there should be some thing stuck in the went door" i just laughed from my mind[lol] but re removed the Dash board very carefully and removed even the staring column and just put two fingers in side the blower and removed a 1" bolt nut and showed to me.. and i asked him how it got there since the air went's in the dash board is quite small for it. he said when the car is in the manufacturing plant things can go in and the people may not notice but since customers use them for a some time they will notice. i checked the total bill it was 0 since they have put everything even the laborer charges to the company and parts to warranty.
wow it was a great service i was 200% satisfied with the service and gave the technician 200 bucks and he was happy. he gave me his mobile number and asked me to call first if im coming for any problem in AC or electrical system so he can take my job first.
total time for the reapers were 5 hours and no charges.. a job well done...[cheers]

Thread Starter #13
1000 Km service.

I have taken the car for its first service reading was 1031 on 20th February(today it shows as 1310KM).

OMG there was a large queue and the booking executive told me i have to do a pre-booking and they are out of slots till 5th of March.
bummer. He just said since its 1000 service they will do the oil change and then later do a booking and do the other inspections and services. Change the oil and filter and now i feel there is a difference in the power driving has become bit smoother than earlier.

I have couple of question to the fellow TAI gurus,

1. I need to replace the head lights with bit more powerful ones(55/60w to 90/100w) if so will the heat from the bulb will damage the reflectors?

2. I am planing to fix a rear parcel tray and fix two speakers there. will cutting holes to support speaker will decrease the strength of the tray?

3. I have seen some guys fix the boot opener to newer ALTO Lxi's after fixing will there be any rattles or loosening in the boot lock after some time?
[confused]

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 1000 Km service.

1. I need to replace the head lights with bit more powerful ones(55/60w to 90/100w) if so will the heat from the bulb will damage the reflectors?

2. I am planing to fix a rear parcel tray and fix two speakers there. will cutting holes to support speaker will decrease the strength of the tray?

3. I have seen some guys fix the boot opener to newer ALTO Lxi's after fixing will there be any rattles or loosening in the boot lock after some time?
1. It won't damage your reflecters in short runs, but in long run it may. Because the reflecters are designed to accomodate 55/60W bulbs. You may upgrade with 50/65W bulbs from Philips/OSRAM for better illumination.

90/100W bulbs need additional relay and to add on 90/100W is illegal in India (my understanding [thinking]).

2. From my experience, the parcel board may slowly tend to bend. I moved to boxes inside boot.

3. I too wish to hear from team TAI's...[:D]

Re: 1000 Km service.

This move wont damage your reflectors, but in longer run, the heat generated will form mask on the outer layer thus by blocking the light.

Not exactly, its based on the material / plank you buy, now a days you have planks with already drilled & netted for speakers & subs. They cost some Rs.800

[confused]
It is purely based on quality of work your servicemen do! And there is no assurance for this job. To frankly say,in a longer run you will definitely hear rattles & squeaks!

Top Bottom