My 1st 1000 Kms: In a Day (Includes Kaas Flowers, Falls, Lakes & Forts)

Thread Starter #1

bhvm

Honoured Member
Starting tomorrow, at 4 AM.
I checked the google maps, it is showing a new route which avoids Pune.
We have done this route many times (But this time Single person driving), we always go from Pune-Satara Road.

Guys hows this road shown by GPS? Worth avoiding Pune traffic or what?

I will post updates after the journey.

Attachments

Re: My 1st 1000 Kms, In a day.

Please check the road conditions. With this years Monsoon the road conditions are worse on all the other roads. The Pune Satara road will be in better condition I hope so.

Thread Starter #3

bhvm

Honoured Member
Re: My 1st 1000 Kms, In a day.

Thanks for the warning,
I am pretty much aware till Pune. The roads are worst but what to do. Appointment is fixed.

Can someone guide if I shall go through pune city or via the route shown in map above?

Re: My 1st 1000 Kms: In a Day

To bypass Pune city - use the following route

Take the flyover before Nashik Phata and enter Pimple Saudagar. Go to Wakad and take left for Satara. You will be able to avoid the core city traffic from this route.

Regarding Nasik - Pune highway, road works are going on till Sinnar. When you cross Sinnar, you will get good 4 way road most of the time.

Try crossing these places in non peak hours. Chakan is usually crowded post 9am.

I am not sure about the route Google maps is showing. Is the route taking you via Nagar road?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5

bhvm

Honoured Member

Can you sir please chalk the route on google maps so I can take a Print out?
My brain does not understand routes in words.

Thanks.

Thread Starter #6

bhvm

Honoured Member

Hello again,
We are not taking the nashik-Sinnar-Sangamner-Pune-Satara-Kolhapur route,
We shall be going Aurangabad-Ahmednagar-Pune-Satara-Kolhapur route.

Attached below are screenshots of my MMI GPS.I have taken the bypass from Chakan towards satara VIA NH4, Avoiding Pune core city. That is about 40km Extra but less traffic shall help. Makes sense?

PLEASE check the routes and revert.

Attachments

Good Luck, I just finished Bangalore - Nanded - Bangalore Drive. The roads in Maharashtra are good, I have been to Nagar Aurangabad highway sometime back in 2013 and the roads were good, not sure this time of year. Traffic is heavy as most of the stretch is beside industrial area and you will find big lorry's on the way.

mayankdixit

Honoured Member

In case you are driving late at night or early in the morning, you may consider keeping a can of "Red Bull" in your car for extreme tiredness or fatigue. I have found it useful for me.
]
are you serious sir.I hope you are joking,right.The driver needs to focus,isn't it?

Thread Starter #12

bhvm

Honoured Member

All the best @bhvm, enjoy your journey, keep enough fluids for yourself & your ride.

Regards

Vinod
In case you are driving late at night or early in the morning, you may consider keeping a can of "Red Bull" in your car for extreme tiredness or fatigue. I have found it useful for me.
Good luck. Drive safe.[:)]
Good Luck, I just finished Bangalore - Nanded - Bangalore Drive. The roads in Maharashtra are good, I have been to Nagar Aurangabad highway sometime back in 2013 and the roads were good, not sure this time of year. Traffic is heavy as most of the stretch is beside industrial area and you will find big lorry's on the way.
are you serious sir.I hope you are joking,right.The driver needs to focus,isn't it?
Thanks fellas,
SO Here i am, Safe and sound.

The journey has been uneventful. Here are the quick facts-

Distance travelled- 986 KMs
Time Taken (Including Breaks)- 16 Hours.
Breaks taken- Breakfast at neel Hotel, Ahmendnagar. Snacks break on the way.
Highest Speed achieved-[evil] Ahem.
Worst stretch- Dhule-Kannad-Aurangabad [Leg 1]
FE for leg 1- 16 KMPL.
Best stretch- NH4 from Kolhapur to Belgaum.
Accidents spotted - 2 serious ones.
Exotics spotted- San Storme!, BMW 730LD, BMW GT, Audi A6.
Test vehicles spotted- TATA HEXA! (Chakan), New Xylo/Some mahindra.

Will post images and detailed write up soon.

Red Bull is an energy drink and completely non alcoholic. It contains a right mix of tauriene and caffeine which acts as a temporary energy and brain booster. The great Michael Schumacher used to drink this on the paddock before his races.

So as has been rightly pointed out this does help in concentrating and helps the driver focus. Of course opinions vary.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14

bhvm

Honoured Member

Leg 1-

The leg 1 of journey started early morning at 4 AM.
We started from Dhule to Aurangabad via NH 211.
This drive gave me the full experience of Apollo Moon Landing. Dear, Nasa, Can you send me down the Moon buggy? Because I really feel the need here.[frustration]

As you can see the craters in Pics, They're huge!. Even a full Spec 4x4 SUV might have trouble going over these. Thankfully, due to the small width of i10, I was able to swerve and avoid these. The Traffic was less in wee hours, allowing us to swerve into the opposite lane and avoid a few ditches. Thankfully, No Underbody Hits. Lack of traffic allowed me to take Craters at my speeds/Directions without the worry of Follower honking like crazy! I am super slow at potholes and speedbreakers[embarass].

I must offer a praise to the blue boy, which successfully took us though the Moon Surface.. Err.. NH 211 to aurangabad without any fuss. The CREE lead headlamps were mighty helpful and you can see the yellow spot of my High beam assists in the pic.

I was conciously driving at 50~60 on these roads, and the speeds were a snails pace on broken patches. Athough there were some good patches near Aurangabad, I restricted myself to 60, Otherwise the suddely appearing large potholes could have caused a wreck. The Short gearing of i10 helps us do 50 KMPH in 5th gear. Any other vehicle (Like my XUV 500 Thunderbolt) will need 3rd gear at 50 KMPH

The roads improved a bit after Aurangabad. The Aurangabad-Ahmendnagar-Pune road allowed cruising at 70~80KMPH. There were sure a few sudden potholes & Speedbreakers that one need to look out for.

Attachments

Thread Starter #15

bhvm

Honoured Member

Leg 2- The Puzzle of Avoiding Pune.
Just after exiting Aurangabad, I heard petrol Smell inside the cabin(Strong one). I was like "Damm- Those craters might have Punched a hole in my fuel tank or busted my fuel lines"
Stopped, Inspected. Found nothing. Stopped a little further again at a fuel pump to double check everything. Also topped up on Fuel. The Smell slowly Vanished. Any explanation experts?

Starting an Early bird has its Advantages. We reached Ahmednagar at the perfect time for breakfast. Stopped at Hotel NEEL (its on a highway junction, enroute) and had our fill of Dosa & Sandwiches. Swiftly drove off as we had a long day ahed.

Then we proceed towards the dreaded Poona. I hate Traffic to the Boot, and more so if it consists of Errant bikers and Rikshaws. This time though, I was hell bent on avoiding the Pune City. I would happliy put some More KMs on the run to avoid pune madness, and especially if those KMs are between me and the careless bikers. I took a small risk and set the GPS to take a different route than we usuall take.

It goes like this-
Ahmednagar-Chakan-Dehu-Dehu Cantonment-Pune Bypass-NH4

I am thankful to report that the stunt was successful. The roads are good. You can cruise around 60~70. There are no Traffic signals. No Jams. Not many speed breakers. and Not much Small traffic.[clap]. Most of the traffic are Large trucks and Posh cars (I guess owned by Industrialists who operate in Chakan). Saw Many BMWs, Audis, Merc and Lots and Lots of Fortuners on this run.

Here is my Alternate route as per GPS-

The whole Stretch costed us 40KM extra. We Reached Satara at 1.30PM. The Run was totally worth it. I guess the same from Inside pune would have costed an extra Hour. Apart from that, there is the mental relief away from hustle-bustle of city traffic and ease of cruising at 70. Total WIN!

For those who are wondering, why I took Blue boy for such Long distance run, Here is where it earned my respect-

My Earlier Travelogue with the Blue Boy-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/voyage-junction/19959-mp-circuit-wildlife-history.html

Last edited:

Top Bottom