Mumbai To Bangalore - Night Driving Advice

Thread Starter #1
Hello,
I need to drive to Bangalore from Navi Mumbai in the last week of Oct. Am planning to start around 10-11 PM (of course having slept adequately in the afternoon).
Please advice if it is safe to drive on NH 48 in the night, especially the Pune - Belgaum stretch. Are there any 24 hour restaurants/Petrol stations where I can take toilet breaks since I will have my family with me. How safe is it to stop at the Toll booths for a break ?
I am more concerned about the safety aspects especially people related troubles on the road.

Your start time at 10-11PM from Navi Mumbai itself will land you in heavy traffic on expressway at Ghat section. There are many many trucks and Volvo mapping all three lanes on Ghat section of Mumbai Pune.
The road condition between Pune and Satara is not that great for night drive, there are some dangerous potholes which got created on lanes (especially fast lane) due to heavy monsoon.

I will advice don't take risk of night driving along with family. Better start early morning !!

It's better to start early preferably a 4AM after having slept early.you can cover good distance before everyone wakes up& once on Karnataka side your pace have comfortable travel till Tumkur where you will encounter traffic

I have traveled last November from Mumbai to Bangalore. Started at 11am and reached Bangalore night at 2am. Total 15 hours. Roads are quite good entire stretch. Hotels usually off the highway. Yo need to keep looking for them before you pass at high speed. Hotels available up-to Karnataka border. After that less availability. Try reach Bangalore off traffic hours.

I would suggest against driving at night. Time from 2 am to 3 am is the most dangerous when we are maximum sleepy. I feel a person can pull on till 2 am, post that fatigue will set in. So its better if you start at 4 am, by 6 am you would have crossed Pune, by 11 pm Kolhapur. Post that I you can reach Bangalore in next 8-10 hours.,

Top Bottom