is mjd reliable

• yes

Votes: 38 92.7%
  • no

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
engine.png
Hi guys , again back with a nice thread which could help you out if you are having a car
with the legendary fiat multijet engine AKA (ddis , smartech , quadrajet )

Engines cover in this thread
fiat
punto, linea , 500 ,

maruthi suzuki
ddis{swift, ertiga,ritz, dzire,sx4)

chevrolet
sail,sail uva, beat 3cyl version of mjd, aveo ,enjoy)

primier
Rio

ashok leyland
style

also many other 30 cars abroad.
so feel free to quote any problems on your car , also possible if you had and rectified a issue please share the experience in the thread .

In my experience i have mentioned below some diagnosis

Black smoke under hard acceleration
* egr system blocked (needs to be cleaned)
* low fuel pressure (check fuel pressure in rail using obd
data , accordingly check pump and pressure regulator
* check air filter is clean and air mass sensor is clean
do a compression test, to make sure the injector seats
not leaking . also check and clean injectors as last step

Engine not starting
*most probably in this case engine light will be glowing
* if yes take to service and check the codes .
*check there is enough diesel before continuing
! starter must be cranking engine. if does not check
fuse ,and wiring.
*turn ignition, notice a clicking sound coming from below
air filter box or top of engine cover(you must hear it)
*check fuel pressure from obd while cranking
*low cranking speed (check battery is full)
*check glow plugs and its relay
* if above steps complete , tell service guys to swap the injectors
& bleed therail and injectors by releasing rail bolts by running aux. pump in ignition
* if problem persists still, check fuel pump, fuel delivery
from tank to fuel filter.
*check air blockage or leak in box to inter cooler to
manifold , also check egr cooling system is not leaking
and mixing coolant to intake via egr, but in mjd this
rare because ecu is programmed egr off at start and till
engine comes to closed loop
*check cam and crank sensor is working fine, try to swap
from a working car , if possible at last hope if tone wheel
over drive shaft is good condition as it creates signal to
sensor. also cam but mostly will not be a issue.
still problem persists may be ecu or other problems
please discuss it in thread
also check immobilizer light is glowing(if problem in
immobilizer ) immobilizer light will not glow while
ignition position

Hard to start engine
* if cold starting is problem : check glow plugs ,and glow-plug relay control
*if hot engine starting problem check steps in
(engine not starting ).

white\ blue tinted white } SMOKE
*100 % sure oil is getting in to combustion chamber
oil level keep on reducing either via valves, piston rings , via turbo.
* do a compression test in dry cylinder
note readings in a paper for each cylinder
then do a wet compression test by sprinkling a bit of oil into
cylinders 5`8ml of engine oil , then do compression test
if compression is getting better then its the piston rings worn
or block out of diameter.
*if compression remains same, it may be valves or timing is
not in phase
*check timing chain& tentioner and abnormal noise .
```( heavy engine knocking noise)
low compression can also be caused due to worn rod
bearings, but in this case you can hear harsh sound from
engine while running and idling
*if compression if really good, check turbo.
*if fins are shaking and inter cooler flooded with oil.its time
for a new turbo. [roll]
* if every thing is normal, its time for a thread discussion.

lack of power:
*check real time intake manifold pressure while running car
it must be double @ when turbo kicks in .if not check turbo fins
and inter cooler and pipes for leaks
check compression .as per instructions in white smoke diagnosis.
* if compression is low in wet test, its rings and block.
you need also check rod bearings.

Design of a multi jet engine:

fiat designed this engine in a mindset to produce a engine which is affordable to make, reliable with aluminum block,
using less cubic liters of engine size as low as possible and stress the engine using a well matched turbo.

so when turbo kicks on, the engine stress out all the capability of it, but its limited by ecu in many cases , the actual power can be produced by this engine is classified by fiat, but what i came to know is its more than 160 horses with a different turbo and manifolds, mappings, with same block and head.
but still your car is not having that same block and pistons , its having a economically varied in alloy composition ie, less strength, enough for 75bhp and 90 bhp . ,may be upto a 120 bhp.
the alloy compositions are varied company to company even car by car ,beat diesel has different alloy mix compared to linea 90bhp.
also pistons friction coating varies accordingly.
i am not here to say swift ddis engine is less quality than a punto.
even if its a fact, swift ddis is not pulling the punto, neither punto has same weight of swift.
the manufactures vary these according to the cost you pay for the car.
Also the fact, swift making 0-100 in 13secs is because of its light weight and gearbox design, keeping the engine in revs as possible, to
get that full potential at its peak power rpms, where as punto and linea designed to deliver power at different tune, ie: mappings.
also gearbox plays a major role in this matter.

some parts and its case failure in mjd engine.

EGR( exhaust gas recirculation circuit)

This system takes a part of exhaust and mixes it with intake manifold to burn unburnt fuel at combustion only on cursing speeds, to improve mileage and pollution control.
problem is , carbon deposits on the valve or on the nozzle entering the manifold, this may lead to no longer saving earth from pollution and also improving mileage.
egr.png
EGR valve must be cleaned or checked every 45k kms service.
if service guys does not ask for it , please suggest him to check. any how he will call you back to say its dirty and needs to be cleaned.

egr1.jpg
egr2.jpg
egr3.jpg
egr system also carry coolant inside it in a chamber where hot exhaust gas can cool down ( hot gas has low oxygen).
if the system is leaking or if you find coolant level getting decreased sooner , check egr system.

Turbo charger:

The turbo charger , takes exhaust gases directly from manifold and compress it over a turbine and makes the turbine on other side to suck air from the airfilter and make it to the intake manifold, in mjd, turbos are notorious for failures, as turbo compress the hotter exhaust gasses, the air even gets hotter and makes the turbo to heat upto 1000'c so it must be cooled , so engine oil is circulated in center of the turbine to cool the car, as soon as you start the car, thats why many recommend to idle the car for 2 minutes every time you turn off the engine after long drives in sunny days.
turbo.png
if oil pressure is low, ie: oil pump is generating low pressure or blockage in the oil lines will lead to turbo failure as soon as a 5 min run.
so maintaining good oil changes will make car to survive from this threat.

also under rough use of engine, turbo heats up to a uncontrollable temperature even the oil cant cool it down, in this case you can see temperature gauge rising up like a Christmas tree, at this prolonged stages, the turbo axial connection or main bearing , looses its tightness and fins will shake , this can be found by opening a small screw clamp in front of turbo in intake side from airfilter tube, remove the tube by hand (make sure you removed air filter clamp first(in fiat cars)), use a finger ,touch the tip of fin and try to shake it, if you find any shake its the time for a turbo change. Dont service it.
vgt.png
the second image of the turbo is a vgt(variable geometry turbo),
where here the ECU controls the turbo using vgt contol via a vaccum line and a solenoid, or directly vaccum(or under boost) in some cars
so if you have a low power in 90bhp versons check for vaccum in the line(a rubber tube going to turbo)feel it using finger closing the tube at idle.
so ask mechanic that the vgt actuator is free in motion .

Thread Starter #2
Re: multijet,quadrajet,smartech,ddis (1.3 fiat multijet 75/90bhp) problems and soluti

Inter cooler:
intercooler.png
This part cool the hot intake air while entering hot turbo, just like a radiator cooling the coolant.
the problem with this part is, mostly any oil burning engine will throw some oil into it and oil gets deposited in the cooler and makes it less efficient to cool the air.

oil vapor recirculation system.(EVAP)
evap.png
this part of the engine condense the oil back to liquid form and mixes it to the engine back, but if some vapors cant be condensed, will be let to mix to intake, and then it burns in combustion and goes out, as these vapors are pollutants.

if the condenser is weak or old, it looses its ability to condense the vapors and leave the oil get condensed by pipes taking it to intake
here comes the issue 90% of all have this issue, inter cooler and turbo filled with oil, but has good engine and compression and every one mistake its the engine leaking it, so its better to check the system too,
easy way is there is a tube connecting to the intake of turbo coming from back side of engine, remove any joint of it and use finger to see any fresh oil is present in it, in some cars oil gets condensed in the inter cooler and inter cooler joints leak some of those oils in it

oil cooler:
oilcooler.png
this is found in fiat engines and others, ddis engines dont use it (weird)
this part cools the oil by using cores which coolant is passed inside it.
so coolant is flowed inside it to cool the oil.

the problem is, if gasket or coolant core cracks it mixes coolant and oil together and makes mess.
this can be easily found by seeing inside the coolant tank, for oil marks .
can be rectified by changing gasket , if cores are leaking , its better to change the oil cooler.
oil cooler is the part mostly under the oil filter .

some systems like fuel pump, auxiliary fuel pump, injectors , engine parts, etc. are not discussed briefly here , to avoid too much of technical stuffs, if necessary we shall discuss it in thread in future .

This is the image of the engine fuelling system
fuel system.png

if you need further assistance feel free to message me in site.
so now after reading all these , what did you understand ?
think you found out this topic useful to diagnose this engine, may be any car with same set-up.
hope this thread helped you out.[embarass]

Stingray@

it is great to open a thread for issues of all multijet varients.It is like our national diesel engine. 5-6 out of 10 diesel cars in india running on these engines. renault/nissan dci engine and honda earth dreams comes second and third.

apart from driving these cars i have zero knowledge in diesel engines and this thread will be a guide to me. In my limited knowledge, ashok leyland stile is a rebadged version of nissan evalia which came with 1.5 ltr renault/nissan Dci engine and you listed it in the above post of multijet vehicles.
Also i didnt heard about the chevy aveo came with diesel powerplant in india.I may be wrong. Please recheck.

Thread Starter #4
Stingray@

it is great to open a thread for issues of all multijet varients.It is like our national diesel engine. 5-6 out of 10 diesel cars in india running on these engines. renault/nissan dci engine and honda earth dreams comes second and third.

apart from driving these cars i have zero knowledge in diesel engines and this thread will be a guide to me. In my limited knowledge, ashok leyland stile is a rebadged version of nissan evalia which came with 1.5 ltr renault/nissan Dci engine and you listed it in the above post of multijet vehicles.
Also i didnt heard about the chevy aveo came with diesel powerplant in india.I may be wrong. Please recheck.
Ya.it was a mistake. I'll ask admin to correct it.
Thanks brother

I did not like conglomeration of all the versions of Fiat's engines under one heading as far as problems & solution is concerned.
Because, all the manufacturers have modified the original engine as per their requirements. And most importantly, these engines have been tuned differently.
For eg. DDis is tuned for FE.
Smarttech is modified. to get maximum low end torque & in turn screwing up the FE.
So expecting same problems & solution s is not apt.

AFA, EGR blockage is concerned, it is basically due to use of higher sulfer diesel (BS 3) in BS 4 car which needs low sulfer( BS 4) diesel, as higher suffer content of the BS3 fuel damages precious metals in the catalytic converter located in EGR. So IMO, it is not a specific problem of MJD.

Thread Starter #6
Ya, I agree the point you said about adding up the diagnosis part of all types of mjds in one place.

But I have not narrowed it down.
I have given basic diagnosis helps
Which could help one out of 5mjd owners.

As it seems you have a good knowledge on this why can't you shed up some light over here and share your experience.

Thanks.

Redacted Forum members and Experts,
According to MS Manual - Service Interval is following -

Service interval.PNG

I like to point out the item 3-4 (last line) which state, Fuel Filter & Water Draining -> R (Replace) at 20000 KM or 24 Months which ever comes first.
My query about, The said car will be 24 months soon but it is far to reach 20k km mark. So Do I need to replace the fuel filter during the servicing ?
Please let me know..

(Hope I post my que in the right thread, If not apologias to mod please move it to the correct section)

Last edited:
Stingray,
You have mentioned Quadrajet but did not name any Tata Motors cars - Zest, Bolt, Manza, Vista

Premier Rio had plans to use Fiat multijet engine in Rio but they have some time go abandoned Rio itself.

Ashok Leyland - Stile engine as pointed out by Releesh is 1.5 litre K9K engine of Nissan - not yet corrected in first post

Last edited:
My Beat LT when remain Idle for 2 hours takes multiple cranks to start. And i suspect it to be the fuel pressure regulator issue as i have already replaced a new pump. The engine gets started immediately when it is cranked within 2 hours of time after a stop. But what am confused is on the fact that it starts perfect on the very first start every morning.
Does cold condition(morning 7 Am) sustains pressure in the rail to give a perfect start. After which it again starts showing the symptom if it is left for more than 2 hours of time.

Thread Starter #11
My Beat LT when remain Idle for 2 hours takes multiple cranks to start. And i suspect it to be the fuel pressure regulator issue as i have already replaced a new pump. The engine gets started immediately when it is cranked within 2 hours of time after a stop. But what am confused is on the fact that it starts perfect on the very first start every morning.
Does cold condition(morning 7 Am) sustains pressure in the rail to give a perfect start. After which it again starts showing the symptom if it is left for more than 2 hours of time.
even i am confused on this, did you change the clutch recently?

@stingray,
Which MJD do you own, or owned /driven in the past?
palio and swift

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Fiat linea multijet 1.3 90bhp, it has clocked 1.4 lakhs km, now it showing decrease in oil level by running 100-200kms , taking time to start sometimes, Service center has changed recently clutch system timing chain and EGR valve. They still cant find solution and asking for Engine repair and it costs nearly 1.6 lakh and by Local reliable worker 60k. What should I do?

using the mjd doing duty under the hood of punto in 75bhp tune,
i can say that mjd is utterly reliable.
"N" numbers of highway trips and odo stands to close to 38k kms with 0 break down

i shared this on TFI forum & lets see if mods approve that
thanks for sharing this thread @stingray

cheers
vicky

Thread Starter #15
Does it have something to do with Clutch..Anyway i haven't changed it recently.
yea, there is a ring gear in flywheel, remove clean and refit flywheel properly, or change it .

I have Fiat linea multijet 1.3 90bhp, it has clocked 1.4 lakhs km, now it showing decrease in oil level by running 100-200kms , taking time to start sometimes, Service center has changed recently clutch system timing chain and EGR valve. They still cant find solution and asking for Engine repair and it costs nearly 1.6 lakh and by Local reliable worker 60k. What should I do?
rakheshraj, i am doing overhaul for all mjds in my town , which city are you at?
did the service center guys check for turbo ? does the fins shake?
is there any oil marks inside coolant tank?
is there any oil leaks under car?

Top Bottom