Mr Black: XUV 5OO My New Companion.

Thread Starter #17
Update :

As i mentioned in my earlier post that my XUV 5OO too came with his own share of niggles, Below are issues which are observed after 900 KMs of drive so far.
* Driver side door needs extra application of force to close the door.
* 1st and 2nd Gears are bit notchy.
* I'm not happy with low beam light intensity, Front fog lamps must be kept lit to view the road.
* Wiper blades are of very budget quality, as a precautionary measure i seldom use them and have developed the habit of cleaning the front windshield by moist cloth every morning instead of using blades.
* Acceleration in IInd gear is sharp but with little vibrations, Solution to this to upshift to 3rd gear as early as possible. If i'm not wrong it is the torque steer which i'm facing in 2nd gear?? Please suggest if any existing user have faced this? Is this the characteristic of the vehicle?
* Power windows : Its not a niggle, but the time period of application of command (Pressing button) and execution (Rolling up/down) is long, It is not instant. Had it been instant, it would have been better. By the way is it only me having this issue or this too is a characteristic of the car?

These are the only niggles which i've observed so far, the joy of riding the machine is not even allowing me to notice the niggles and i hardly care about above issues.

Niggles (Reported in first & Second Batch XUV's) which has been fixed :

* Brakes Squeeze : Fixed, have never faced it, tried to hear lot to hear that creeping noise on empty road but there was none.
* Clutch Pedal : Super Soft, Just like my Figo TDCI with right travel range, I didn't find the travel range longer as reporte by few, However the TD vehicle was having a bit harder clutch and longer travel range.
* Electrical : This was one of the reasons for going for W6, till date every electrical equipment has been working perfectly. Not even a single failure of any button so far.
Cruise control works like a charm every time: I remember when for the first time i engaged CC, there was a big smile on my face, +/- buttons to increase / decrease speed works perfectly. Your legs are relaxed . I thought for a second that if Car will do everything on its own then what will i do?
AC is very effective and cools the cabin in no time. I haven't installed any sun control films yet. I usually keep the temperature at around 24-26 degress and never felt uncomfortable.
Start/Stop feature is good for city driving, works every time. I mostly keep this feature ON.
Auto Head-lams ,works perfectly whenever i pass "underpass" or from Delhi Metro Stations, Good feature not only for you but also for traffic following you. Its utility + safety feature.
*Rattling : I haven't heard any rattling sound from anywhere of vehicle so far, thoroughly checked this on rough road with all windows rolled up.
*Hand brakes : Someone on other thread reported that hand brakes are ineffective on XUV, I don't find any such issue. No matter how much slope you are on, HB works well !!
*Vehicle pulling : Number of users reported pulling of vehicle on left or right, Even i had this slight left pulling but that was because of incorrect tire pressure, as soon as pressure was corrected all pulling was gone, you can drive infinite kilometers in straight line without even touching the steering.
*Infotainment Display : Have not seen it not working till now, not even a single fluctuation / malfunctioning. Recognizes every folder/song of my 8GB pen drive. Have not tried my apple to connect to it but my brother's phone connected without any issues.
* In-dilutions of Road : The famous "Thud" sound..what is this?? I accidently jumped a monstrous speed breaker on Sonepat-Rohtak road @ 90-100 KM/H, For a second I and my brother realized 'what the @#$K' as we were on low beam because of incoming traffic & it was tooo late to apply brakes but to our surprise XUV sailed through it, I am sure for a fraction of second XUV was in air, but landing was thud-less with mild thud (At this point 3 people were sitting on 2nd row, and only middle person sitting on 2nd row who happend to be my aunt complained of banging her head on roof, Before journey i warned her to wear seatbelt but she utterly refused but after this incident she ran for seat belts, all other occupants were wearing seatbelts; at this point we all had a good laughter)

I think these were the only reported issues which were raised again and again. If i'm missing something then please let me know and i would be happy to answer. I want every prospective XUV buyer to know the vehicle inn and out, TAI is the medium, we (members) are here to share our ownership reviews, Lets help each other!

Accessories for Mr. Black which are finalized today .

1> Side Steps (Fixed)
2> Rear Bumper Guard (Fixed)
3> Body Cover (Purchased)
4> Bucket Mats (Pending but delivery will be made at my door step with a week's time as shopkeeper was not having them readily available)

Last edited:
1) if not mistaken many users on other forums are getting there wiper blades changed to laminated ones , so that issue is also sorted .
2) some changed the gear oil too and the nochiness of the gears in 1 and 2 has gone .
3) mahindra I heard are also changing the head lamps from differnt vendors and many users are now satisfied .
4) only issue is of the doors and brakes which iam sure the will find some solution .
5) new clutch assembly in new vehicles have sorted out the problem of clutch .

All in all you said 80% problems are solved but in reality mahindra has solved almost 95% problems .And anyway w6 model never had niggles like w8 initially .

And good decision for the w6 like you iam also not a big fan of too many gizmos if they bring a w4 model I might prefer that even .

So far in my buying list I have xuv w6 , strome , ecosport , Scorpio let's see when the rest of vehicles get launched I will decide after watching closely ownership reports of ecosport and strome .

Great effort from you that you are writing such a nice detail review and please keep it updated so other prospective buyers can understand the xuv better and can have clarity that issues reported are not some serious issues but just niggles which can and are sorted out effectively by mahindra .

Last edited:
Thread Starter #20
1) if not mistaken many users on other forums are getting there wiper blades changed to laminated ones , so that issue is also sorted .
2) some changed the gear oil too and the nochiness of the gears in 1 and 2 has gone .
3) mahindra I heard are also changing the head lamps from differnt vendors and many users are now satisfied .
4) only issue is of the doors and brakes which iam sure the will find some solution .
5) new clutch assembly in new vehicles have sorted out the problem of clutch .

All in all you said 80% problems are solved but in reality mahindra has solved almost 95% problems .And anyway w6 model never had niggles like w8 initially .

And good decision for the w6 like you iam also not a big fan of too many gizmos if they bring a w4 model I might prefer that even .

So far in my buying list I have xuv w6 , strome , ecosport , Scorpio let's see when the rest of vehicles get launched I will decide after watching closely ownership reports of ecosport and strome .

Great effort from you that you are writing such a nice detail review and please keep it updated so other prospective buyers can understand the xuv better and can have clarity that issues reported are not some serious issues but just niggles which can and are sorted out effectively by mahindra .
Dear Raja, I know the issues reported by me are by no means major issues & i will get them corrected in my first service but these issues have been penned down for the informative purpose of prospective buyers.

All vehicles which you have shortlisted were once upon a time were on my list too, I finally shortlisted Innova and XUV ; finally went with Mr Black. No matter whichever vehicle you choose from above list, I know you will take a wise decision keeping your own requirements in mind.

What are laminated wiper blades[roll].
can anyone share the details.
my fiesta's wiper is out[cry] in condition so has to change.

It's not the laminated wiper blades, it's laminated motor of wipers.
As a precautionary measure they are replacing the motor of wiper, so that in case of heavy rains, while using the automatic wiper mode,the motor doesn't conks off.

Laminating a rubber is next to impossible.

And will not serve any purpose.

As a precautionary measure they are replacing the motor of wiper, so that in case of heavy rains, while using the automatic wiper mode,the motor doesn't conks off.

Extremely sorry for typing wrong words concerning the wipers . And thanx for correcting mukeshus . [:)]

* Driver side door needs extra application of force to close the door.
* 1st and 2nd Gears are bit notchy.
* I'm not happy with low beam light intensity, Front fog lamps must be kept lit to view the road.
Yes, these are there in my car as well.

After about 800 kms, I have felt that the gears have become smoother. Still, I will ask the A.S.S. if the gear oil can be changed to synthetic.

All doors are heavy (unlike the JAPS) and hence need that extra effort.

Yes, low beam is average but high beam is simply superb. I was driving on a single lane highway yesterday. Because of the bad roads, all cars were driving at 30-40 kmph. Then this Esteem comes head on with high beam and I guess he had some powerful aftermarket headlamps. I too responded by switching on my high beam. I guess that blinded him and he came to a grinding halt and moved only when my car passed him! So we will have to avoid using high beam.

* Power windows : Its not a niggle, but the time period of application of command (Pressing button) and execution (Rolling up/down) is long, It is not instant. Had it been instant, it would have been better. By the way is it only me having this issue or this too is a characteristic of the car?
Yes, it is not a niggle. There is a half a second delay when you press the button and the window rolls down.

* Clutch Pedal : Super Soft, Just like my Figo TDCI with right travel range, I didn't find the travel range longer as reporte by few, However the TD vehicle was having a bit harder clutch and longer travel range.
Surprisingly, I found the clutch to be heavy.

*Hand brakes : Someone on other thread reported that hand brakes are ineffective on XUV, I don't find any such issue. No matter how much slope you are on, HB works well !!
*Vehicle pulling : Number of users reported pulling of vehicle on left or right, Even i had this slight left pulling but that was because of incorrect tire pressure, as soon as pressure was corrected all pulling was gone, you can drive infinite kilometers in straight line without even touching the steering.
*Infotainment Display : Have not seen it not working till now, not even a single fluctuation / malfunctioning. Recognizes every folder/song of my 8GB pen drive. Have not tried my apple to connect to it but my brother's phone connected without any issues.
Same here.

* In-dilutions of Road : The famous "Thud" sound..what is this?? I accidently jumped a monstrous speed breaker on Sonepat-Rohtak road @ 90-100 KM/H, For a second I and my brother realized 'what the @#$K' as we were on low beam because of incoming traffic & it was tooo late to apply brakes but to our surprise XUV sailed through it, I am sure for a fraction of second XUV was in air, but landing was thud-less with mild thud (At this point 3 people were sitting on 2nd row, and only middle person sitting on 2nd row who happend to be my aunt complained of banging her head on roof, Before journey i warned her to wear seatbelt but she utterly refused but after this incident she ran for seat belts, all other occupants were wearing seatbelts; at this point we all had a good laughter)
My car does THUD on big potholes, but ride quality is good.

thank you for clearing the details about it.[:)]

Thread Starter #27
UPDATE : Crossed 1000 KM today

Experience so far has been very satisfactory, Niggle-free (touch-wood). From last 400+ KMs Mr. Black has been my daily companion within city. In these 11 days of ownership i'm pretty much used to of its dimensions. Taking U-Turns or Reversing in congested narrow lanes is no more a difficult task now.

Size does matters, You are being given way on very first honk and i love this treatment on road. (Though usually i have a habit for NOT HONKING until and unless it is very essential)

Mileage as per On board computer is hovering between 11.xx to 14.xx depending on traffic condition and driving style.

Ashutosh. I was away for a while hence saw your thread just now. Many many congratulations on the latest acquisition. Seems like you are having a great time with it so far. Its definitely going to bring lots of fun going ahead.

And yes, I am in Noida, not too far, so welcome any time for the box of chocolates :)

Thread Starter #30
Ashutosh. I was away for a while hence saw your thread just now. Many many congratulations on the latest acquisition. Seems like you are having a great time with it so far. Its definitely going to bring lots of fun going ahead.

And yes, I am in Noida, not too far, so welcome any time for the box of chocolates :)
Thanks SPMM, Even i logged on after a while. If work permits i will surely be at your place, Was bit busy with work and all, haven't actually drove Mr Black for few days but did purchased few stuff for him. Will update in post soon today. There was a time when doing up-down to Noida (Amity /sec-131) on Suzuki Fiero was on my daily routine few years ago when i was a 'University of Delhi' student[;)]; i used to enjoy the route to its fullest, Akshardham Temple at that point of time was under construction and the outer ring road corridor (from ISBT to ITO / CWG Lane) was non existent. Now as the roads are better, i feel like "Why not to enjoy the same ride again".

Top Bottom