Moving from Mercedes W210 to Used Corolla

Thread Starter #1
Hi dear friends ! Well we presently own a 2007 model Santro & 2000 model w 210 e 250 d Mercedes Benz topend version, bought an preowned Mh registered. Now adays our use is very less compared to earlier days, where in I had to cover long distances. I was enjoying the diesel economy of our Merc over the Santro & fuel bills were very less compared to our Santro.

Now a days Merc is used once in 15 days or so.So the diesel economy is not required by me.While buying this, I wanted to retain this car for very long period because this is very low on maintenance compared to other merc. Its having engine with low electronics, hence more reliability with modern looks of W 210.So far I have spend around 2.5 lacs on it & now its trouble free. I am getting an mileage of around 10 in city & 15 - 16 on highways.

Presently we are using our Santro for daily needs & its fully trouble free. So a thought creeped in my mind, why not to sell the Merc for around 7.5 lacs & put the same amount in bank in fixed deposit or invest in mutual funds, so that I will get it around 15 lacs after 6 years & buy a newer model Merc or Bmw from the same amount. In the mean time I will replace this car with used Corolla with full service history at around 3.5 - 4 lacs. When I sell it after 6 years atleast I will get around 1.5 lacs. So I am just loosing around 2 lacs as depreciation on Corolla plus saving on average maintenance of Merc which comes to approx 35000 per year. Corolla being a japanese will be low on maintenance comparatively.

Request you all to pour your valuable inputs on this.

Last edited:
Welcome back Goaboy. Thats indeed a great calculation keeping in mind the future benefits. I would say, go ahead and go for a Corolla. Since the running is going to be less, fuel bills wont be an issue. Further more, you will get a used Corolla for around 4.5-5lacs.

Heart vs Mind debate!

Your decision will be light in pocket, but heavy in heart.
For economy reasons and keeping in mind the resale value of your Merc in future, you are on the right track.

You have already spent a considerable amount (2.5 lakhs) on her and ofcourse it is trouble free, why should you downgrade from a Merc to Corolla? Instead why don't you use her for daily commute (atleast for alternate days) as fuel bills are at par with Santro?

Financially this will be "NG" but Merc is a Merc and afterall "Status Symbol" matters.

Just my opinion.

The resale of the Merc is low. I would suggest you keep it. Used Corolla's are not easy to find in Goa. BTW where in Goa are you based? We can organise the TAI Goa meet.

Thread Starter #6
The resale of the Merc is low. I would suggest you keep it. Used Corolla's are not easy to find in Goa. BTW where in Goa are you based? We can organise the TAI Goa meet.
Hey sure dude! We will surely meet.In fact I was looking out for something like this. I have PMed u my no.

good idea man. go for corolla but dont forget you are not gonna get new merc in 15 lakh in next 5-6 yrs!
hi dear ! I meant to say newer model of merc than what I am having right now.

Hey sure dude! We will surely meet.In fact I was looking out for something like this. I have PMed u my no.
It was nice talking to you. Do let me know when you find some suitable cars. We can check them out together. Don't forget to go through the thread on buying a second hand car.

Thread Starter #10
It was nice talking to you. Do let me know when you find some suitable cars. We can check them out together. Don't forget to go through the thread on buying a second hand car.
It was indeed my pleasure talking to u & thanks for extending your help for selection of cars.

Thanks for the link dude !It seems you are from Nagpur, I studied my engineering there in RKNEC Nagpur. Good to see that you liked my plans regarding this thread.

So did you find any cars? There was a Corolla for sale a couple of days ago on the Navhind Times. BTW in case you find any NRI owned car for sale, stay away. There is a broker who advertises all his cars as NRI owned. All the speedometers are clocked.

Thread Starter #12
So did you find any cars? There was a Corolla for sale a couple of days ago on the Navhind Times. BTW in case you find any NRI owned car for sale, stay away. There is a broker who advertises all his cars as NRI owned. All the speedometers are clocked.
thanks for the information regarding the broker, have not yet started for searching, since I want to sell my merc first.

why are you not considering an old Honda Civic. I think you wil find immense pleasure in driving the Civic than Corolla. And it looks really sporty than the Corolla.[drive] Just my point of view.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #14
Hi dear friends ! First of all thank you all for pouring your thoughts in. I had got very good deals & when I used to discuss this above mentioned idea with my friends, they tried to convince me to retain the same & if still not convienced than they will buy it. Dear friends ! The car is really in superb condition, even at merc authorised service centre , mechanics & manager also tried to convience me for not to sell.
So at last decided to retain it. It has got a very good road presence ,whenever I take it out people just stair at it.

350Z

Core Team
So at last decided to retain it. It has got a very good road presence ,whenever I take it out people just stair at it.
Good decision. Congratulations. You ought to write an ownership review now. Personally I’m a huge fan of Merc W124 and W210 and would love to know more about it straight from the owner himself. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom