Moving Car From Delhi To Mumbai For 2 - 3 Years

Thread Starter #1
Dear Experts,

I am moving to Mumbai (from Delhi) for 2-3 years & plan to take my 5 year old car. It is bearing Delhi registration number.

After reading many forums, it is stated that there is no need for any re-registration as long as stay is less than 1 year. I have following queries:

1. Can I drive peacefully in Mumbai for at least 1 year? It means not obtaining any certificate/NOC etc.

2. Is there an option that I can pay for annual road tax (say 1 year) after I complete 1 year in Mumbai? If yes, what could be the amount & where to pay?

3. If answer to point 2 is yes, then does it require any certificate/NOC?

Please answer my queries.

350Z

Core Team
Re: Moving car from Delhi to Mumbai for 2-3 years

Hello Jainna, Welcome to The Automotive India. It is possible to pay the road tax annually if you are a Govt. Employee. Recently one of our members also did the same. Please refer to the following thread for more, and I am also quoting that post for convenience (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ver-car-my-vista-qjd-aura-abs.html#post102007).

Annual road tax is strictly applicable for only those central govt and PSU employees whose jobs are transferable across India. The employee must produce a letter(under the company's letterhead) to the RTO at the time of regn stating that the employee has been in service with the organisation and his/her job is transferable across India. The employee must pay annual road tax as long as he/she is in service.
Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #3
Re: Moving car from Delhi to Mumbai for 2-3 years

Where I can find these rules & rates online? I am unable to find any information regarding this. I would welcome our experts to write a blog on car transfer from one state to another for a shorter time.

Hello TAIgers,

I am in a process of buying a car registered in Pune (MH-12) while I stay in Mumbai. For transferring the registration from the previous owner to my name with the address of Mumbai, I believe I need to pay the Octroi/LBT.

How is the value of Octroi calculated for a used car?
Where can I get the information on this?
Where do I need to pay the same?
Any one had such experience kindly Share.

P.S. Some may advice me to keep driving without ownership transfer as it is from same state. However for the sake of avoiding hassles later on (insurance claims, selling vehicle etc.) I prefer to get the same transferred for peace of mind.

Hello TAIgers,

I am in a process of buying a car registered in Pune (MH-12) while I stay in Mumbai. For transferring the registration from the previous owner to my name with the address of Mumbai, I believe I need to pay the Octroi/LBT.

P.S. Some may advice me to keep driving without ownership transfer as it is from same state. However for the sake of avoiding hassles later on (insurance claims, selling vehicle etc.) I prefer to get the same transferred for peace of mind.

You can find all the information on Maharashtra RTO website...[thumbswink]

Hello TAIgers,

Hi,

It is always good to transfer ownership to us in case of pre-owned car purchase, to avoid risks and unwanted incidence on the road.

This has happened with my friend who was driving my car in the city and when RTO stopped him, inspite of having all documents clear the official said, " Car can be driven only by those who are in Blood relation with the owner or the owner should be present in the car if someone else is driving, my friend had to pay fine.

so we never know what reason and rule RTO will shoot you in such situation.

as per my knowledge you just need to get NOC from RTO offce where the vehicle was registered earlier and submit it to your RTO location.

SO better get tranfer done and enjoy your ride...[drive]

Top Bottom