premium hatchbacks: i20

entry level sedans: dzire & logan
mid level sedans: fiesta
premium sedans: civic & corolla

entry level SUVs/MUVs: bolero
mid level SUVs/MUVs: innova, xylo & scorpio
premium SUVs/MUVs: fortuner

executive sedans: laura

{i have considered only those cars costing less than 20L ex-showroom, anything more than that, then IMO that car is not meant for the masses & hence not intended to be a huge seller too}

Let me write down the cars that have been successful considering the sales figures & not considering someone's personal like or dislike.(Under 20 lakhs)

All Maruti hatches except the A star & Zen Estilo have been a success.Be it the 800, Zen,Alto,WagonR, Swift,Ritz.The Dzire has been a success too.
Hyundai has been successful with the Santro,i10 & even the i20 because it exceeded the company's expectations.
Tata Indica has been a success.Even the Indigo has a big market share.
The Xylo,Scorpio & Bolero all 3 have been successful.
GM has had success with the Cruze & it is yet again the segment leader.
Toyota Innova & Fortuner have been a success.Corolla too.
Honda City is a huge success.Civic was a success.It has now taken a U turn.
It is a little early to say but I guess the Figo is also a success with consistent sales of 6k units a month.
The Superb has also been a success for Skoda.

A few points from fellow members that I disagree with-
Fiesta & Endy both are in no way successful.I wont say they are failures but these cars could never rule the segment.I don't remember when Endy's sales crossed the 1k mark & fiesta's sales crossed the 3k mark.Even today the Endy sells below the 500 mark & the fiesta below the 1k mark- way behind the competition.
The Laura too has never been able to become the segment leader or even be at the second position for that matter(except June 2010, where it is 2nd).

Just my point of view.Correct me if I have missed out something.

i feel the laura's competitors are the hyundai sonata transform, jetta & cruze. accord & camry is priced close to superb. so i think the laura is a success.

even with fiesta, it has sold more than SX4, linea & verna, so i feel its a success.

i feel the laura's competitors are the hyundai sonata transform, jetta & cruze. accord & camry is priced close to superb. so i think the laura is a success.

even with fiesta, it has sold more than SX4, linea & verna, so i feel its a success.
True.Laura competes with Sonata, Jetta & Cruze.
It has never been able to beat the Cruze.
Fiesta has beaten the Linea(not anymore) but not the SX4 & Verna.

i think you are right about the fiesta but IMO laura sells much more than the cruze.
Nope man.Laura has never sold more than the Cruze.I'll provide you the sales figures of both.(From Oct 09 when Cruze was launched)

Cruze / Laura

Oct. 812/ 407
Nov. 518/ 330
Dec. 613/ N.A
Jan. 686/ 498
Feb. 726/ 565
March. 715/ 636
April. 692/ 509
May. 854/ 484
June. 772/ 681

So the Laura never beat the Cruze!And was also behind the Altis!

Thread Starter #29

350Z

Core Team
Sighting a specific car on roads is not the only criteria based upon which one can judge its actual sales.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Completely agree with 350Z.Just because you don't sight a specific vehicle too much does not imply that that the car is not doing well. Maybe its just a matter of chance that you don't spot it.
@AMG no need to doubt them.These are official figures.

Top Bottom