Most Affordable Sports Cars You Can Buy in India

Thread Starter #16

350Z

Core Team
Man, The CRX Del Sol is one mean machine, and also a considerable alternative for the MR2. It is the Targa Top, which makes it a real looker. Another car I would like to include in this list is the Suzuki Cappuccino. A cute small roadster, which has body resemblance similar to that of a Z3. Good for Singles / Couples.

Suzuki_Cappuccino_roof_up.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

Excellent thread!! [thumbsup] i have seen red celica in real. it looks very long but its not that attractive IMHO. 3000GT and MR2 are real eye candies!!

Thread Starter #18

350Z

Core Team
Alright. Today, I had an awesome time in a short drive on fourth generation Honda Prelude. Initially, the car may not look very appealing like other sports cars, but once you insert the key into the key fob, the entire car literally comes into life and shows it's actual hereditary racing character. Revving the Prelude is so much fun, which is complimented by an extremely sporty driving position. This drive adds another car into my wish-list. [thumbswink]

Drive Safe,
350Z

Affordable Sports Cars- In search of the elusive Chinkara!

Hey 350Z,

Kudos on yet another fab topic for discussion. So many lovely cars being spoken about, i couldn't stop my fingers from flying across the key-board.

The Toyota was such a rage in the early Nineties. Every Mr. Money-Bags used to yearn for one in their garage. Those Butterfly doors and the out-of-this-world looks (for the Auto-starved Indian Market) were like manna from heaven. Rumours abounded though on the 'Bhai-ka-call' that were a given once this beauty was stationed in the garage.

Mazda's absence from the Indian Car Scene has been baffling to say the least. I mean, come on, why were we deprived of their fabulous Rotary engines

The "Fairlady" just sets my pulse racing, though i'm partial to the muted charm of the gun-metal colour rather than the flash yellow/red. With the TT too, the original design was truly iconic, too bad they had to go and mess it up with the new one.

The SLK/CLK twins represent the best value in terms of the affordable luxury sports-cars. While some may beg to differ on their high sticker price, I on the other hand feel that its a small price to pay for the peace-of-mind factor that comes with the Mercedes service network.

I have always had this thing of supporting the under-dog. When news of the San Storm first broke out, I was out there jumping like a Jack Russel Terrier with a sugar rush! Sure, the figures didn't read much, but at the price that they were to be sold, it meant a good workable car. And then the Storm fizzled out! Quality was iffy, service was poor and the marketing was truly non-existent. The final nail in the coffin was the disappearance of the horses while being transferred from the spec sheet down on the road[frustration]

10.jpg

As seen in the image above, another home-grown sports car that comes to mind is the Chinkara Roadster. Modeled on the likes of the kit-cars abroad, this replica Lotus Super 7 roadster has immense potential in the niche, sports-car segment. Powered by the familiar Isuzu Petrol engine from Hindustan Motors and a motley assortment of parts from various manufacturers including Maruti-Suzuki. Too bad though for the Chinkara is one elusive animal to spot.

Cheers :)​

Im loving this thread! Do you have any idea how jumped up your prices are?? And there is just 1 proper AE86 in India, and it is in Bombay

Thread Starter #21

350Z

Core Team
I have always had this thing of supporting the under-dog. When news of the San Storm first broke out, I was out there jumping like a Jack Russel Terrier with a sugar rush! Sure, the figures didn't read much, but at the price that they were to be sold, it meant a good workable car. And then the Storm fizzled out! Quality was iffy, service was poor and the marketing was truly non-existent. The final nail in the coffin was the disappearance of the horses while being transferred from the spec sheet down on the road
Just like you - It was love at first sight when I first saw the Storm, in spite of being aware about the not-so-great specifications, I absolutely loved the car and thought about getting one too, also since living in Delhi, the Servicing was not a concern either. However, it was all overshadowed only until I saw the car in person. The Storm has a very flimsy quality of body material and the convertible top feels that it could be prone to leakages. Moreover, the company’s little interest until now puts the future of this car in question. So, I better preferred to stay away to purchase an 'unusual' car for the sum which could rather get me a feature laden entry level sedan. Although, if someday, San Engineering suddenly wakes up and thinks of adding a better engine along with a major facelift, maybe then I would not hesitate to consider the Storm yet again. :smile:

Im loving this thread! Do you have any idea how jumped up your prices are?? And there is just 1 proper AE86 in India, and it is in Bombay
All the prices are an approximate of what we have seen in reality through various imported car dealers in New Delhi.

Drive Safe,
350Z

guys, what is exactly the purpose of chinkara? its not proper sports car nor proper car. i think its only good as weekend car for roaming in your own farmhouses..whats cost of one btw??

I know bout the AE86 in bombay. Have a few pics of it too.
Somebody please tell me how to get one!![cry]

guys, what is exactly the purpose of chinkara? its not proper sports car nor proper car. i think its only good as weekend car for roaming in your own farmhouses..whats cost of one btw??
It is a good car if u lower ur expectations a bit. Roadworthy, and fast in a straight line. Handling is crappy, so is the build. Overdrive had a ride report in it. So biased,u would want to tear off the mag. they were raving about it.

And yes. cost is exorbitant. close to 8 Lakhs on road.
When Asked Guido( the builder) about the price, he said he'd rather give QUALITY components at a price rather then cringe and price it Cheap.[frustration]

Out of all the car's in the list, I would own the MX-5
Small engine, RWD, Light. Heaps fun.
With a few handling mods, it will be an awesome car to go around the mountain in.
I have driven my mates mx-5 and have been attracted to them ever since.
This is his car [:)]

img1590s.jpg

img1588c.jpg

I am interested in buying a used mazda miata if any one is interested you can contact me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #27

350Z

Core Team
You stay in Mumbai though, but there is a Red Mazda Miata 1991 for sale in Delhi at Iyer Automobiles, Moti Bagh.

Drive Safe,
350Z

NISSAN 300ZX Twin turbo doesn't have that engine
it comes with VG30DETT and VG30DE
Means 3 Litre V6 Twin turbo and non turbo.

They have 2 variants. 2 door targa top 2 seater, and 2 door targa top/hardtop 4 seater

Honda CR-X is allright can't really call it a sports car
Look at the 0-100KM timing and you will get disappointed

Mazda MX5 roadsters are allright but you can't really call them FAST Sports car. There is a difference between sporty looking and real sports car built for the purpose.
You may need to turbo charge the MX5's

Toyota MR2
Rear engined sports car. Yes they are fast but handling wise very poor! I have driven one , the car is not stable at all.

MAZDA RX8
Two of my friends own these cars. 2005 annd 2008 1.3L rotary engines. You may call that a fast car but actually its not really that great. I love the 1.2L twin turbo engine of the Mazda RX-7 that was fast.
This car drinks the same amount of petrol as a V8 engine and delivers less power even then a normal non turbo 2.5 Litre engine.!
They have lost the market in australia, you can get one of these for 14000$

Excellent thread!! [thumbsup] i have seen red celica in real. it looks very long but its not that attractive IMHO. 3000GT and MR2 are real eye candies!!
Another name for Celica is Silly CAR

Its front wheel drive car. not that great compared to GTO (3000GT) and MR2s

New Celica TRD versions were turbocharged but remained ugly at the back!

Attachments

Top Bottom