Modifying My 15 Year Old Maruti 800 - Please Advice

Nice car dude. You can decorate interiors by using non tear able brown or black velvet papers which you can find in any gift shop. then stick it to dash board, gates etc. It seems your seet is nice so no need to touch it. You can buy black colour rubber carpet (4 nos) and can fix it in the car's floor, it is hardly any diff. Also try spray paint in scratches. Fix led inside, it'll look nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Modifying My Maruti 800

I bought maruti 800, 1988 model. And now i'm going to modify that. I know its hard to modify that because of rusted body and locks etc but 'll take the challenge. [glasses]

Here I've attached some pics of my maruti 800:

Attachments

Re: Modifying My Maruti 800

You have come to the right place buddy, you can contact Varun & Akash,ss80 for this modification as these guy's are technichally sound and their passion towards Maruti car's are incomparable.

Hi Amar_kshk, Welcome to TAI.

I would suggest first get the car painted and get all the running parts serviced.
I feel your engine needs a overhaul.

Do post more details of the car and some pic's too.

Welcome to TAI Amar_kshk,
Welcome to the M800 club in TAI ! I also have this little champion !
Fellow TAI'ans are there to help you to restore your car back into action.
Keep the thread updated !
Drive Safe

Hi Amar, Welcome to TAI . .
As said by Varun, get your car repainted. also check for any under-body rust or any wearing out metal and get the tinkering job done.

BTW: For how much did you bought this gem ??

Last edited:

Hi Amar,

Welcome to TAI, its good to see another passionate owner for the beauty. Though i am not too techincal seeing your car pics i feel your car needs a service, check for the engine oil, break oil etc as this are the basics.

You can try to do some sportive stickering if you do not want to paint the body, changing seat covers, adding wheel caps etc :)

how much did you pay for the car

for 27000 only. And dude some tinkering works was there and i get it done for only 2000. and thanks dude for your idea and aspiration.

Guys, some basic problems in this car is:

1) Breaks are scary. Sometimes feels like break failed.

2)Rusted body.

3) Steering is shaking.

4) More Noise than usual.

5) Dirty Interiors

But still love this car because:

1) 15km/l

2) Can trust because i went to Bangalore 3 times with no trouble.

3) Service center is beside my building.

Hi Vaibhav,

For the
Floor : Vinyl Carpet + Floor mats (1600max)
Dashboard : cleaning + Polish (100approx)
Body Dents : My suggestion is go to a good tinker, might cost approx 3000 depends on work.
Stickering : Sometimes paint on the car chips off due to tinker work, in such a case try some Vinyl stickering works instead of painting the whole car [wont cost more than 2K for full car stickering (I mean patterns/stripes etc)]
Bumpers : Replace both irrespective of their current condition - 2K
Headlamp (with chrome outer cover) - 500 a pair (lumax)
Tail lamps : 350 (max) a pair (go for MGP, my new lumax tail lamps are harvesting rain water already!)

Hi Amar,

Welcome to TAI!
I too have a M800 Type1. In my opinion these are the things you can try in your car

Replace Bumpers (Use M800 Type1 only) - 2K (max)
Replace all door handles & rollers with M800 Type 2 - 400/- approx
Replace all wheel rims - costs 750each (Approx) MGP price
Check your door hinges for excess play (let me know if you need any help in finding the condition of them), if yes they cost 80rupees approx each
Vinyl Mat for whole car floor - 1.2K max (Choose lighter colours)
Door pads (7pieces) - Type 1 is 600approx, type 2 is almost similarly priced
Headlamps + Tail Lamps + fender Indicators - 1000max (all lumax, except tail lamp)

Mechanical parts replacements (only the must ones mentioned here)
Radiator Hose kit - 170 (3pieces)
Clutch Cable - 150 (MGP only, NEVER buy REMSONS brand) max
throttle cable - xxx (no idea, Varun can help here)
Brake Booster kit - 3370/- (KBX Brand)
Brake Disc Pads - 150/- (Pair - KBX/Bosch/delphi)

Fuel Filter + Oil filter - 200max
Fuel pipe (pink tube) that connects the fuel filter etc - 20Rs.
Rear Shock Dampers - 450a pair (Acdelco brand, I have changed this recently) not sure about MGP price
Headlamp Bezel - plastic part - 25/-
Type2 Wiper arms + Bosch wiper blades - 500/- approx
Ignition coil wires kit - Delphi brand - 270/-
100/90 Headlamp wiring kit (with relay): Roots/Hella/Bosch = 700 (max)
100/90 Bulbs - Philips - 200Rs. max

Fluids Replacement:

Engine Oil: 3Ltrs - 15W40, Castrol/Shell
Brake Oil: company says use DOT 3, Me, Varun are using DOT 4[:)]
Distilled Water for battery: 20Rs/ltr (one litre is enough, available at most battery shops)
Whatever distilled water is remaning use it in windshield wiper tank.

Your problems & possible solutions:
Dirty Interiors: Complete refurbishment of interiors (Seatcover+new sponge+vinyl mat+ floor mats) - 5 to 6K easily (try matching door pad colors to steering wheel & seat covers)

Brakes are scary: Brake Booster can solve this to some extent

Rusted body: Hmmm, this is something very costly to deal with. Ideal solution is complete repaint (costs 16K to 25K) including tinker work. You can do it later too. Watch out for cracks/holes/bubbles in the body.

Steering shaking: Steering column (or related parts) might be loose - Jarpickle & Varun can help here.

More Noise : Floor mats + serviced engine (new oil) etc can make a difference here.

Personal Touches:
Repaint the Airfilter box (Black/Chrome)
Mesh Grill (DIY)
Replacing these parts should be a DIY - Door pads, floor mats, carpet, bumper, tail lamps etc You will get to know your car better.
Tyres & RIms: There are experts here who can help you out with the best sizes, brands & other options. Stock tyre (factory fit) size is 145/70 R12

Hope this helps.

Ss80

Last edited:
There is a Maruti 800 i think its 95 or something like that,it was purchased as a back up for people working for my aunt,now its sitting at our place,its got mods on it like alloys ,grills & even woofer,i will post some pics of it,probably should give you some idea on what to do.

Top Bottom