Mitsubishi Cedia Radiator Fan Kicks In With Engine Off

Thread Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I have been noticing that on my Mitsu Cedia Sports, the cooling fans startup in the morning even when I have not yet cranked the engine. All I need to do is turn the key to ON position and the fans start. The engine is cold and the AC is off. It is however an intermittent issue, I did not have this issue during the winter months, but as the temperatures have risen, I am noticing this.

I dont think this is the right way for the fans to work, but with not many Cedia's around, I am not fully sure. I want to confirm with others here, if they have had such issues before visiting a garage, as I dont want any job done in a hurry which causes overheating issue later.

Please advice.

350Z

Core Team
I dont think this is the right way for the fans to work, but with not many Cedia's around, I am not fully sure. I want to confirm with others here, if they have had such issues before visiting a garage, as I dont want any job done in a hurry which causes overheating issue later.
This might be a normal behavior. My Ford Fiesta’s radiator fan turns on and keeps running for sometime even after the car is parked and key taken out. It happens mostly during summers or after a long drive. In the beginning I was concerned since it was rather loud but I later figured out from the ownership manual that it’s normal. However, I’d still suggest to check the owner’s manual or consult with nearest Mitsubishi workshop for clarification.

Drive Safe,
350Z

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Hi Folks,

I have been noticing that on my Mitsu Cedia Sports, the cooling fans startup in the morning even when I have not yet cranked the engine. All I need to do is turn the key to ON position and the fans start. The engine is cold .
No this is not normal at all.
Fan running after a hot engine just switched off -- normal.
Fan starts running in the morning on a cold engine which has not even been started yet --abnormal.
Looks like some wiring / sensor problem. Visit ASS.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Thanks guys, I think I will get this checked out with scanning or an electrical check without disturbing anything at the moment, will report back with the fault , if I find one.

Thread Starter #5
Got an OBD scan done, the coolant temperature was displayed as -40 when the engine was fully hot. I got the coolant sensor replaced, rough idle is now better, but no change in the behavior of the fans. The wiring was checked thoroughly, also the car is not overheating so does not look like it is the thermostat valve. The fan relay is fine as well with the usual click sound, so the only thing that could possibly be causing this is the fan control module. I am searching for a new one, will update further after i have changed it.

Thread Starter #6
Hi Guys, thanks both for your views here. The fan control module was the culprit as suspected, was lucky enough to find a new one. The fans run normally and another pleasant change is that their speed is now being controlled properly according to the coolant temperature. I have now realized that earlier the fans were always running like the engine was on fire or something, now the car is quieter as the fans are back to their normal behavior. Attached pics of the Cedia fan control module, as the major challenge I find with my car is, I have to first take out the part, then take pictures, then find the replacement because people are unaware.

May be the pictures would help fellow members save some labor costs.

Attachments

Top Bottom