Mistakes You Make On Road

When approaching an intersection, although note that the speed limit is 50, do not always reduce the speed to that level, and cross at say 70 or so, instead of the much high speed.

Sometimes in the city, I drive my two-wheeler on the right most lane (near the divider) because I have to take a U-turn some 1-2 km down the road. I noted that this annoys cars as they have to deviate to cross me. I found that staying on right lane is easy than going on left lane and trying to come to right lane to take a U-turn :(

Most fearful mistake in on a single road when instead of slowing down and keeping left, I sometimes try to flash lights and maintain on the road asking an oncoming bus to move down. They do move down, but pass me at such high speed that I regret that I too moved at such high speed instead of slowing down. Driving on single roads is still the most fearful thing for me :(

Sometimes following lorries on double roads as I feel it safe. I realized it is not always safe as sometimes pebbles, etc may fall down from them causing damage to car. My nano recently got a small dent due to this.

Hi mastiandroid5,

I understand two wheelers might have tough time riding. I commute on my Yamaha Fz as well. I know the difference between riding a two wheeler and sitting behind a steering wheel.

Most of the two wheelers doesn't know about the driving condition of the 4 wheelers. Its all about saving their own life than saving 1 or 2 minutes.

The ideal way to take right turn in any given road is to imagine a circle in the center of the road and to take right turn towards the extreme left side of the road.

Attachments

There are lack of traffic rules and their implementation . Here in punjab truck and bus drivers always keep their vehicles in fast lane even when they drives at 40 kmph. They refuse to change their lane and cars and other fast vehicles have to overtake from left side. This is very common problem.

This problem is not only in Punjab. Its everywhere. Many times what I have noticed is some trucks will go on right most lane but after honking or seeing car coming from behind they shift to left lane. But some truck drivers stay on right side whatever happens

Truck drivers also have their own justification. Some heavily loaded truck need more power to stop as well as for moving(from dead stop). In our Indian roads you can't predict what will happen on right (fast) or left(slow) lane. Sometimes people park their vehicle on left lane, because no shoulder is there on road or biker or tractors are coming in wrong direction or some other kind of nonsense, now if truck driver is driving on slow lane, he needs to break more often. To avoid this they drive on constant slow speed on right(fast) lane, and don't buzz irrespective of how much you honk or give signal to pass.
So ultimately whole system need to change i.e. more awareness, proper licencing, policing etc. to make traffic condition like US or some other developed country.

Even some bus drivers rev their vehicles and feel happy to put the vehicle trying to overtake in extremely dangerous situation. Two Wheelers are treated like insects .[anger]

Just yesterday, we were going towards Raipur to celebrate Sunday. it was single lane road with both side traffic without divider. (its NH43 [clap][clap]) so was driving 90+ there, (everyone was driving at this speed as its treated as highway (NH)[frustration]. while i was about to overtake a bike (bike was on extreme left) suddenly bike guy decide to go towards right side in order to cross whole road. he suddenly waved his hand and without even looking back he moved his bike, just few meters away from him i just slammed brakes of wagan'r, car got stopped within time and well controlled just few inches away from that biker. Guy was in complete shock and so was i. And surely his bike was not having side mirrors. He just moved like whole road is empty.

My uncle treated him with good words and we left. Later i realized a mistake. in that sudden action when i slammed brakes i didn't noticed traffic on my back side. By gods grace there was no one tailgating us, What if there was truck behind us? Might be you guys missed this story from me (although you could read it in news papers).

So Question guys, how do you handle that situation? it was just matters of seconds. My eyes were glued on road and when i watched that biker just meter's away my minds reaction was to just stood up on brakes with tightly holding steering wheels i never for a second got thought of OVRM. There was not that much time. So if you were me then?

Last edited:
Just yesterday, we were going towards Raipur to celebrate Sunday. it was single lane road with both side traffic without divider. (its NH43 [clap][clap]) so was driving 90+ there, (everyone was driving at this speed as its treated as highway (NH)[frustration]. while i was about to overtake a bike (bike was on extreme left) suddenly bike guy decide to go towards right side in order to cross whole road. he suddenly waved his hand and without even looking back he moved his bike, just few meters away from him i just slammed brakes of wagan'r, car got stopped within time and well controlled just few inches away from that biker. Guy was in complete shock and so was i. And surely his bike was not having side mirrors. He just moved like whole road is empty.

My uncle treated him with good words and we left. Later i realized a mistake. in that sudden action when i slammed brakes i didn't noticed traffic on my back side. By gods grace there was no one tailgating us, What if there was truck behind us? Might be you guys missed this story from me (although you could read it in news papers).

So Question guys, how do you handle that situation? it was just matters of seconds. My eyes were glued on road and when i watched that biker just meter's away my minds reaction was to just stood up on brakes with tightly holding steering wheels i never for a second got thought of OVRM. There was not that much time. So if you were me then?
First, when I was reading the first para i felt as if am behind the wheel. Its really scary one friend.

I thought saying two things

1. We can not judge a guy going in front of us (whether 2 or 3 or 4 wheeler) so just let us be cattious when driving on such a speed. To avoid this kind of situation, i blow horn continiously when over taking a vehicle or seeing 2 wheeler or bull-a-carts etc ahead of me. I know sometimes it is pain, but we can make sure we as well as those people are safe.
  2. Regarding tail gate of vehicle, first of all when you see a guy tail gating you (mostly those yellow board vehicles do this), go to the left and allow that guy to pass. But we could n't have done in your case. That would be really worst. Even I had faced this situation so many times and then I see in my back is there any vehicle.

Since this is single road, it is better to make them feel about your presence by honking before hand.One more time when you are nearing the bike. I think most of the people have already said, just assume that the other road user are idiot.You need to save your back yourself.So defensive driving is the solution.Rest you leave to almighty.

The best practice to avoid such situations is to keep sufficient distance between your ride

and front vehicles and give signals well in advance for your intention of overtake.

my driving speeds in highway on my i10 are as shown below.

80-140kmphr(very rare condition) for 4 laned highways which are in good shape.

60-80kmphr for other highways.

But any case i will keep at least 3 to 5 cars distance during the travel in highways.

Rode without headlights

I was returning in our Tata 409 truck from madurai with my uncle and driver after picking steel rims for our business needs. some where after trichy in the midnight around 10.30..electrical went kaput..vechile was running,,no horn, no lights... tried my all best for 30 minuts no use.. no mechanics are available. so decided to drive without lights.

started from the place around 11.10 pm and reached factory around 8 am covering 308 kms. was maintain 30 to 40 till morning 6. it was a really scary feel for the first few hours then i got accustomed to the pattern. was maintiang the left lane without zero overtakes( a drive without overtakes first time). Felt like graduated to the next level in driving.

A mistake I sometimes make is to drink water from the bottle when the road ahead is clear.
One hand on the steering wheel, one hand on the water bottle and doing two things at once.
We know how things can change in a fraction of a second.

Even though the road is empty, it would be prudent to go to the kerb, drink as much water as i want, check my phone messages etc etc and continue with my journey.

I have begun to replace all the music in my usb player to slow tempo music. I find listening to my usual music gets distracting when i get into the flow.

And i avoid driving when i have just got into an arguement. There tends to be too much anger or irritation at those times.

Once I tried to adjust my seat position with engine running while I was in a parking queue in a mall. Hand brake was put on, I removed the seatbelt and pulled forward the seat, my right foot pressed the gas pedal by mistake and my car went forward. Vehicle infront me had already started moving so nothing happened. It was mere luck and I was thinking the hand brake will take care. That time I was a newbie driver and this incident helped me to be more conscious of such mistakes.

Top Bottom