Migrated from a Scorpio to Fortuner

Thread Starter #1
Hi, everybody this is my first post on TAI and also my very first thread on any public forum.

I owned a Scorpio DX Crde 2006 with tall tail lights, had done 60,000 kms was really a workhorse which was very reliable with no problems till date and really liked its butchy SUV looks , here are few things about my Scorpio

PRO's
1) Butchy looks with amazing road presence
2) Reliable
3) Powerful 2600 cc crde engine
4) Very less rattles as I had migrated from Maruti Cars
5) Being a DX model it had black plastic bumpers so it was never a problem for city drives for those bumpers kissing[evil]

CON's
1) Excessive body roll
2) No safety features like ABS, Airbags etc.,
3) M&M service being little expensive off late.
4) Plastics on the interior were not that great for Rs.10 Lakh car.

In Sept 2008, when I had to pay my insurance premium of our Scorpio, when I went to my dad for the premium amount this was the conversation with my dad
DAD: I don't like your Scorpio it has too much body roll
Me: That is there in all higher GC vehicles
DAD: No I don't like your car, sell it off
Me: are you serious? its just 2 years old car
DAD: Yes I am, sell it off will buy something else.

I was very shocked, my dad is a kind of person who doesn't like selling his vehicles, we have 20 year old Omni still doing his work, all my plans of upgrading tyres changing the OE alloys , adding Light force with Carryboy bull bar was dropped.

Started searching on the net of new launches of 7 seater cars in 2009-10 , found at that M&M W201, Tata's new crossover (Aria), New face lifted Ford Endy, Toyota Fortuner and Hyundai Santa FE were the probable launches in 2009-10

The only options in 2009 of a SUVish 7 seater upward 15 lakh were Captiva and Ford Endy.

Fast forward August 2009, Toyota Fortuner was launched with an OTR price of Rs.22.95 Lakhs Bangalore, was very excited at the same time disappointed with the innova like interiors and very less equipment level for that price tag. Told my dad about it , he was like 23lakhs a big NO.

My heart was over Fortuner but my mind was like 23 Lakhs no no. I was very much inclined towards M&M's W-201 was seeing all the spy pics on net, by Jan 2010 no news about W201's launch, and dad was like
DAD: why don't you buy Toyota Innova?
Me: Noways, I don't like it
DAD: why? its a very good car
Me: I agree its a good MUV but not an SUV.
DAD: Then, why don't you buy the Scorpio M-Hawk
Me: Ya, thats there may be if is available 4wd with Airbags

Called up Sireesh Auto, they told me Scorpio 4wd with airbags is available, but only in diamond white and black colors asked them for TD they told me 2wd is available for TD, I told them to send it to my place. Just for the sake, I called up Ravindu Toyota requested them for Fortuner TD at my doorstep they agreed for it.

Guess what, Fortuner was the first to arrive for TD in-spite of being such huge bookings, they responded quickly with a TD VEHICLE at my door step, dad liked it a lot, but mom was very skeptical about booking as it costed around 23 lakhs.

Next came the Scorpio M-hawk VLX refresh model, did the TD, engine was little more powerful than our 2.6 Crde, dad didn't like the build quality of M-hawk but there were loads of gizmos, cruise contrOL, voice assist, TPMS, parking sensors etc.,

Dad left the decision to me, I was not very keen on buying a new Scorpio again nor the Fortuner, told my dad will wait for M&M's W-201.

by April 2010 still now news about M&M's W201 , but TATA had a preview of Aria at the Auto Expo. and did a TD of Ford Endy, Chevy Captiva and TATA Safari

FORD Endeavorer:

PRO's
1) Powerful 3000 cc TDCi engine
2) Automatic transmission
3) Touch screen Kenwood's headunit with integrated GPS and reverse cam
4) Modern and appealing interiors

CON's
1) Ford A.S.S is questionable
2) High floor level , optimized for 2 passengers in the middle row
3) Third row is very very cramped with no headrest.
4) No automatic climate control
5) Not so good ride quality

Chevrolet Captiva

PRO's
1) Powerful engine with AT and MT as an option
2) Very modern interiors
3) Had good level equipments like ride control, adaptive torque sensing AWD, hill descent control, ESP, TCS, ACC, Power seats etc.,

CON'S
1) No rear A/c vents not even for the middle row
2) No 4wd option in the manual transmission

TATA Safari

Went to Prerana Motors for TD of Safari , I really liked this car from the very beginning the looks, the road presence, the seating posture and the second row seating I mean the sofa like seating comfort was amazing , my dream of owning one came to an end when the TD vehicle which was offered, breakdown as soon as I cranked the engine and shifted to 1st gear.

Out of the the three, the clear winner was Captiva it was VFM when compared Fortuner or Endy.

which one did I buy, will be followed in my next post along with pictures and delivery experience, any guesses[confused]

AMG

Suspended
Re: Migrating From a Scorpio

I feel that you should go in for Tata Aria.

Thread Starter #5
Toyota Fortuner !

After a lot of discussions, finally booked the Toyota Fortuner with Ravindu Toyota , on 16 December 2010 with some contacts paid on road price of Rs.24.22 lakhs which included the no claim bonus (NCB) transfer from my Scorpio , which saved me nearly 20k on insurance.

Got the delivery on 17th Jan 2011 , initial impressions, some more exterior pics and some interior pics will be followed soon.

MODS: request you to move this thread to Ownership Reviews Section

Attachments

Welcome to TAI ram_4849. It was an interesting read. After reading this, there seems to be the same amount of confusion in the SUV segment, as much as we have in the hatchbacks [;)]. My guess, Captiva.

Thread Starter #9

mastersquall Re: Migrating From a Scorpio
congrats on fortuner . Do keep us updating with ownership of this car .
Thanks, will do that. I guess my Fortuner ownership would be the first on TAI am I correct?

350Z

Core Team

Hey Ram, Welcome to The Automotive India. I should compliment that in spite of being your first post in a public forum, you have beautiful writing skills. Appreciate the precision of your review. Many congratulations for booking the Fortuner. This thread is for sure going to be lovely. I’m subscribed to it and rated five Stars. Please continue with the review, pictures and details!

DAD: I don't like your Scorpio it has too much body roll
Me: That is there in all higher GC vehicles
DAD: No I don't like your car, sell it off
DAD: Then, why don't you buy the Scorpio M-Hawk
Me: Ya, thats there may be if is available 4wd with Airbags
Pretty much surprising that your dad again recommended to buy the Mahindra Scorpio. There sure must be something that he still likes about it. :smile:

Thanks, will do that. I guess my Fortuner ownership would be the first on TAI am I correct?
Yours is indeed the first ownership review of Fortuner in TAI.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Re: Migrating From a Scorpio...to Fortuner

ram_4849 ,
Welcome to TAI .
congratulation for the ride.
very good write up about your likings and interests.
looking for more .
cheers

Welcome to TAI ram_4849. It was an interesting read. After reading this, there seems to be the same amount of confusion in the SUV segment, as much as we have in the hatchbacks [;)]. My guess, Captiva.
+1 to this. I too thought that the confusion was more in buying hatches[:D]

Top Bottom