Metallic Colour Vs Solid Colour

Thread Starter #1
What is the main difference between these 2 types of Car colours? And how one can identify its mettalic or not.

I read somewhere, Punto Exotica Red is not metallic but solid, and other colours are metallic.

[lol] Hard to explain but metallic color has a metalish kind of effect in them,they have that different metallic shine in them. Where as i guess Solid colors mean Plain bright colors like that on T-shirts [:D]

Thread Starter #3
Yes Neil, i read that metallic contains some aluminium contents in metallic.
Its technical[:)], I was just wondering is there any difference on manitainance etc. for normal colour and how to distinguish between two?

its simple RSM. metallic colours have a glossy finish, it has a mirror effect to it. solid colours dont have that.

regarding maintainence, metallic colours are harder to maintain as they get scratched easily & are scratches are easily visible too. also, repainting or touch up jobs with metallic paints is, but of course, more expensive.

Last edited:
The metallic effect is normally achieved by Al or Mg flakes in the paint mix.
One major differentiator between Solid colours and Metallic finishes is that on top of the metallic paint, manufacturers need to go for a protective "clear" coat, which also adds to the lustre.
And yes, maintaining, and repairing of metallic colours is that li'l bit costlier and more difficult.

both have shinning !
metallic has sparkling like look.
solid colour as said are 2 types one is 2k and ordinary aspalt.

2k paints are too shinny but doesn't sparkle.
and the asphalt has no shinning.

Govt buses and other private buses that run are of this asphalt , though they are new you can't find shinning .

In metallic you'll have glossy finish and you can see your own mirror reflection. If not that part is not properly repaint.

350Z

Core Team
It is not actually that tough to differentiate between a Metallic Paint and a Solid Paint on a vehicle. Others have already explained the difference between them -:
Metallic colors are sparkling and their surface is different than the one in solid colors, Due to the mixture of Aluminum flakes etc mixed, As Aditya said. Solid colors are plain and simple which we saw in old time’s ambys.

Metallic shades have gradually become popular among buyers because of their glossy finish and up-market touch. It is generally indicated on automobile websites/brochures about Metallic and Solid color by an asterisk (*).

Another advantage of Metallic color is that they don’t tend to show the scratches on vehicle’s body easily. However, They are comparatively expensive to maintain and there is a difference of few bucks if you buy a car with Metallic color. I remember when I casually asked at Maruti Authorized showroom the cost of repainting the car (800) from solid to metallic color, The price I was told of solid color was Rs.15,000 and Metallic was Rs.21,000 but mind you, These figures are around 5-6 years old.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom