Met with a Small Accident.

I think I will just make as if the accident never happened and ignore it.
Way to goo...

Will suggest you to be use OVRMs and look back only a split second.

Actually while changing lanes we should look back then front than change. Here in India things comes out of no where... :) Stray dogs loves to Jog on road, Cows changes side whenever they feel like, Pedestrians ditch sky walks and try jump cross the road...

Next time be more careful lady [glasses]

Interesting read. Couldn't determine whose fault it is completely but that's natural considering there are no pics and videos.
Court case or not that will depend on mutual understanding of all parties involved. As people have rightly pointed out it should be avoided and kept as a last resort if all else fails.

@OP- In future whenever you need to change a lane do peek for a second in the ORVM but while doing so take your foot off accelerator and keep it on brake pedal. This helps in case someone or something comes in front of you in the same second you are peeking at your ORVM. This will save you the second needed for emergency braking thus saving the accident altogether.
Hope the issue solves out soon amicably.
Cheers!

Myself being new to the forum and a very novice driver(infact driving my amaze for two months without DL, waiting for it) I think in indian roads some peoples do use their road as their inherited property and keep their cars in road to their liking, however after understanding this i am training my eyes and ears for these unlikely situations where you bump into other peoples cars, damages will be to my vehicle also.
So my advice to you is slow down while taking turns to 5-10kmph everytime, this will give you enough time to manipulate your driving, and don't overtake a vehicle if you are unable to anticipate the front drivers move and only overtake when you can take his attention and 200% sure you can overtake him. The main thing is drive slowly and don't do drive a single inch if you are totally confident about you moves, you surely will avoid accidents. best of luck[:)]

Myself being new to the forum and a very novice driver(infact driving my amaze for two months without DL, waiting for it) I think in indian roads some peoples do use their road as their inherited property and keep their cars in road to their liking, however after understanding this i am training my eyes and ears for these unlikely situations where you bump into other peoples cars, damages will be to my vehicle also.
So my advice to you is slow down while taking turns to 5-10kmph everytime, this will give you enough time to manipulate your driving, and don't overtake a vehicle if you are unable to anticipate the front drivers move and only overtake when you can take his attention and 200% sure you can overtake him. The main thing is drive slowly and don't do drive a single inch if you are totally confident about you moves, you surely will avoid accidents. best of luck[:)]
Sorry to barge in, but slowing down to 5-10 kph just to change lanes is incredibly dangerous! You should only slow down slightly to change lanes on a moving road.

Driving slowly is not always the solution, it's about driving calmly and confidently. For example, driving at 30 kph on an empty interstate road in the outside lane is just obstructive and can cause problems for faster traffic.

I find it weird that just because a woman asked for a little advice regarding an accident (That could happen to anyone here), suddenly everyone is finding the opportunity to show that somehow she is a less capable driver who needs everyone's 'gyaan'.
Guys, please be a bit considerate.

Sonakshi; said:
At the side of the road there were parked cars (at a 45 degree angle to the road). I checked for traffic and found it clear and turned in the lane. However as soon as I turned in, there was a car reversing backwards from the parking into the lane right in front of my car. I hit the back corner of the car and the car got pushed forward into another parked car.

I was completely in the lane before impact and had entered the lane maybe 5 seconds before the collision.
Hi Sonakshi,

I think, this time also you failed to brake in time or you were in much higher speed.[roll]

Kindly see the words I made bold in the above quote.

The average response time of a driver is .75 secs, and it can be 1.25secs in panic unexpected situation.
If your brakes and tires are in good shape, then a 80 to 0 kmph braking can be done just with in 3secs.

Since its a 45 degree parking, most probably you could see the car's reverse light before the car starts moving backward(Anyways its ok, since you already found the car moving backward soon after you changed the lane)

If you were in the legal speed limit, then 3secs is quite enough to brake your car to stationary and 2 secs is far enough for the response time. So getting a 5 secs before collision was really a good chance for you to avoid the collision.

When moving through the lane closer to the parking area, we should be more conscious and should reduce our speed more than that we usually cruise through other lanes. We should always expect kids running infront of the lane closer to the parking area. We should also expect the fellows to open the doors of their car in the case of driving through the lane closer to the parallel parking area.

Now About whose fault it is.
Consider you are the reversing guy[roll]. Do you think you can see the traffic in the lane when you are in the driver seat? It will be quite difficult to see isn't? So what all you can do is slowly reverse the car until you hear any horn or you see any vehicle.

IF you have blown the horn or reduced your speed soon after you saw him reversing his car then this collision can be avoided or atleast its impact can be reduced. Am I right?

Even though you are in the lane completely, he started moving forward after reversing from the parking space so its your fault for not braking at the right time and giving way for the vehicle infront of you.

Regards.,
Kiran.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #52
Who is at fault in this accident?

Hey, I met with another accident (well two but the other did not involve another vehicle) since my last post and was wondering how the fault lies in this accident. (Still leanring [frustration] ).

I was at a junction and turned in a lane in front of a car. Unfortunately he was going really fast and right after I turned in the lane he crashed into the back of my car? Is he at fault since I he crashed into my back and I did not hit his car sideways?

Re: Who is at fault in this accident?

Hey, I met with another accident (well two but the other did not involve another vehicle) since my last post and was wondering how the fault lies in this accident. (Still leanring [frustration] ).

I was at a junction and turned in a lane in front of a car. Unfortunately he was going really fast and right after I turned in the lane he crashed into the back of my car? Is he at fault since I he crashed into my back and I did not hit his car sideways?
I was at a junction and turned in a lane in front of a car
so you overtook the car that was really going faster (according to your driving experiance judgement), what do you meant by turned in a line in front of a car ?
am actually asking how you turn in to that car's lane? their are two ways to cross or changing lane
1. jumping (this is wrong way) immidiatly changing lane of your vehicle after you overtook the over vehicle in motion, and with out leaving much space for him to control his vehicle.
2. Slowly changing the lane: this way we indicate the vehicle we overtook, and giving adequete space for him, to avoid a possible clash

after I turned in the lane he crashed into the back of my car?
apart from whatso ever i explained above, and well its day or night have you put indicator or given some indication (signal) for the other vehicle driver that you are turning in front of him and given roam(space) for him to control his vehicle

Last edited:
First of all, let me clarify I am accident prone guy as you.

In India, "right of way" is not popular amongst court & traffic police people, but there are other set of theories, e.g. in vehicular accident, larger/bigger vehicle is always at fault unless obvious otherwise; in vehicular accident the person who is less injured is at fault. Similarly, the vehicle which has rear ended other vehicle is always at fault, unless obvious otherwise. So in your first case, you appear more at fault as looking for rear traffic is not excuse & split second unattention on front traffic can cause accident is well known fact. Rather than to fight for right of way, as advised by many, you should always try to avoid accident, because accident are always reason for heightened mental tension, increased time waste for argument, for garage, for insurance filing etc & court / police matter is even more cumbersome.

All this apply to another car driver who rear ended to you prima facea as per your last post. But again, fault is yours or others, you have to undergo all ill things of accident as mentioned above. So ultimately mental piece is in avoiding accident though that may involve deprivation our right of way, & if at all they occur, better to solve them on site by mutual agreement avoiding police complaint & get car repaired by insurance company.

Thread Starter #55

I was at a junction and turned in a lane in front of a car
so you overtook the car that was really going faster (according to your driving experiance judgement), what do you meant by turned in a line in front of a car ?
am actually asking how you turn in to that car's lane? their are two ways to cross or changing lane
1. jumping (this is wrong way) immidiatly changing lane of your vehicle after you overtook the over vehicle in motion, and with out leaving much space for him to control his vehicle.
2. Slowly changing the lane: this way we indicate the vehicle we overtook, and giving adequete space for him, to avoid a possible clash

after I turned in the lane he crashed into the back of my car?
apart from whatso ever i explained above, and well its day or night have you put indicator or given some indication (signal) for the other vehicle driver that you are turning in front of him and given roam(space) for him to control his vehicle
I mean that I was coming from another road which was 90 degrees to the road I joined so obviously you cannot slowly change the lane.

Welcome back madam and if possible do post some pics of the car as it will help understand how it all went.
Secondly you can call me sexist but if I was the driver of the car coming from back, then maybe your car was flying off the road(Was doing 160 on ring road and Delhi-Gurgaon e-way just 8 hours back) but then I believe that the people who switch lanes without looking at what's behind and the approach speed of the following vehicle do deserve to take off.
Its he at fault because he is a 'he' and you are a 'she', this is how our pubic decides. Here the occupant of small vehicle, pedestrian or 'she' are always faultless. Some days back I ended up making a bicycle fly on a dual carriageway, though the guy wasn't injured(I really don't know how he escaped unhurt) but I was held responsible just because even if he turned without any indication, I was supposed to drive slow so that he could have turned.

First of all, let me clarify I am accident prone guy as you.
You are my brother. Please go through my ownership review, I have done pure endurance testings on my Corolla [evil]

In India, "right of way" is not popular amongst court & traffic police people, but there are other set of theories, e.g. in vehicular accident, larger/bigger vehicle is always at fault unless obvious otherwise; in vehicular accident the person who is less injured is at fault. Similarly, the vehicle which has rear ended other vehicle is always at fault, unless obvious otherwise. So in your first case, you appear more at fault as looking for rear traffic is not excuse & split second unattention on front traffic can cause accident is well known fact. Rather than to fight for right of way, as advised by many, you should always try to avoid accident, because accident are always reason for heightened mental tension, increased time waste for argument, for garage, for insurance filing etc & court / police matter is even more cumbersome.
+1000
BTW for changing lanes, one needs to at least have a look if some poor soul is coming in that lane. In fact, just think if you are driving an Alto and the vehicle coming at 100+ in other lane is a Volvo bus. I hope you understand how dangerous it can be.

All this apply to another car driver who rear ended to you prima facea as per your last post. But again, fault is yours or others, you have to undergo all ill things of accident as mentioned above. So ultimately mental piece is in avoiding accident though that may involve deprivation our right of way, & if at all they occur, better to solve them on site by mutual agreement avoiding police complaint & get car repaired by insurance company.
+100

I mean that I was coming from another road which was 90 degrees to the road I joined so obviously you cannot slowly change the lane.
Please elaborate madam. For taking a 90 degree turn to get on the another road, one needs to slow down I guess. BTW, were there any chances of a T-bone? If yes, then congrats for not getting T-boned.

Last edited:

Sorry to hear this.

If you didn't slow down after overtaking and used your indicator, then definitely the fault goes with the car behind you. Because he must have increased the speed while you were overtaking.

But if you reduced your speed abruptly right after getting into his lane, then it is your fault. Because he must have not get enough time to maintain a safe distance from you.

For me, on junctions vehicles which are on main road always have the right of way and the car entering the main stream shoul wait (even if it means waiting for a bit long).
One cannot suddenly jump from a junction in the fast moving lane and claim right of way just because he/she is hit from behind.

@ TSIVipul-+100 for the volvo example.

I have a question. Are you just trolling all of us here on the forum? I cant imagine anyone getting involved in accidents so often. :)

Coming back to the situation you explained, if he hit the back of your car not involving any of the sides, clearly the other party is at fault. He is supposed to maintain a safe braking distance as I mentioned to you in the same thread while referring to your earlier accident.

Top Bottom