Mercedes Benz GLE Class 250D Test Drive Review

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Mercedes Benz GLE Class 250D Drive Review.

20151115_105919.jpg

The Spec Sheet for the new Mercedes Benz GLE Class

Untitled.png

Friends,

Today I got the opportunity to have a drive of the recently launched Mercedes Benz GLE Class 250D 4 Matic which is a midlife upgrade to the much popular ML Class. The car was provided for the TD from the Noida Dealer i.e Silver Arrows. Being a Sunday, it is but obvious that I will wake late than usual and as I was about to get ready for the day, my phone rang. On the other side was the executive Mr. Akshay. He requested me that due to hectic TD schedule of the GLE class, he has slotted my Test Drive between 11 am to 12pm today. I was happy to know that but my entire day's schedule got slightly messed. I told him to bring the vehicle and we'll have good TD. So, as promised the GLE was at my home in 30 minutes time. It was a long pending Test Drive that I was looking forward to since the launch but due to unavailability of the car, it finally happened today. To speak of the car, in my opinion, this looks more like an SUV on C-Class platform. The earlier ML Class was much better looking than this one. The headlamps and tail lamp design reminds of the C-Class. In the looks of this GLE, I somehow missed that macho feel which the earlier ML Class use to have. Luckily, just now, in a local market, I happened to see both earlier gen ML Class and the present GL Class. The ML Class in Black looked really very nice in comparison to this new Avatar. Being called as the all new GLE, it is certainly having evident facial changes but in the following posts you'll get to know how this car performs.

Thread Starter #2

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Mercedes Benz GLE Class 250D Driven.

20151115_111133.jpg

The new GLE Class by Mercedes-Benz, is being seen as a totally new product with a new name which takes place of the erstwhile ML-Class. On the face of it, the new GLE not only shows the number of facial changes that have been carried out this time by the brand but it also comes now with a number of mechanical and technical updates as well which provide it with a more up-market look and as I drove, it was my first time to have driven a Mercedes SUV. Since Mercedes Benz has adopted a new body language for all its upcoming cars as well as the face-lifts of the existing line-up, the GLE has been designed on the same lines and it aims to provide a more refined look to the enthusiasts and owners than the out-going version i.e ML Class. Mercedes Benz in India has launched the new GLE Class with 2 diesel engine options i.e a 250D, 4-cylinder variant and a V6 350D Version. This all new SUV from Mercedes Benz now caters to the needs of the people who are looking for comfort and performance at the same time. As it is an upgrade to one of the highest selling SUVs of Mercedes, it has been accepted by the India market respectfully so far. However, in today’s time, buying these type of luxury SUV does not simply depend on the face-value and the brand image. Today in case of these SUVs the buyer has graduated towards being a more informed buyer. Today, people do know the meaning of performance so lets see how the 4 Matic 250 D performs. The first thing that catches the eye of anyone is the looks and design of the car. So for me as well, it holds immense importance.

Looks and Design of GLE Class​

Firstly, on the exteriors you’ll certainly not find much of the difference than the outgoing model of ML. The most striking distinction of GLE to that of ML Class is the new design of Headlamps and the Tail Lamps. Moving forward you’ll notice the bigger and bolder front grill which enhances the look but to me it did not provide that muscular stance. Talking of the front profile, even the re-designed bumpers speak volumes about the fact that it is very similar to the C-Class but of-course having the tweaks of an SUV like broadness, skid plates etc. On the bumpers, the one thing I simply did not like is the Chrome mustache. It looks so old class. In a supposedly entirely new car, Mercedes Benz could have well omitted the chrome and provided it with a honeycomb air-damp However, not to blame Mercedes, in the Indian market, the sentiment is such that without chrome, the premium factor of any car cannot be judged. Majorly what the perception is that more the chrome more is the premium-ness of the product. Though definitely it is an SUV but from the pics it is not difficult to make out that the new designs theory of Mercedes Benz has led this car to become a C-Class on steroids from front. As stated even above, the lights resemble to C-Class but to match the character of the SUV, they have become slightly bigger though base design remains same and as I saw, they are now full-LED with integrated DRLs.

20151115_111204.jpg

Talking of the side profile of the GLE, Over here also, there is no difference as such from the outgoing model. The blackened pillars and the door lines and creases shall remind you of the out-going ML to a great extent. If you make an ML stand next to GLE it would be difficult to judge the difference as such in both model’s side profile.

20151115_111121.jpg

Speaking of the rear profile of GLE, the first thing to notice is the new GLE badge on the tailgate and then come the tweaked tail-light cluster. The tweaked rear bumper boasts of chrome exhaust tips and chrome stripe to just give it certain elegance. Overall, with my experience of the GLE today, I can surely say that, this SUV does not give much of a new feel to the eyes and kind of misses out on tough looks. In my view, if a company launches a new product, it should not have any carry over from the out-going model. But that’s just my view, maybe, those who still want a plush cabin, with lot of creature comforts and a 3 pointed star to boast of on the hood, they will definitely opt for the new-age GLE.

20151115_105933.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Engine performance, NVH, Steering, Tyre(s), Ride and Handling, Braking

20151115_111157.jpg

20151115_110213.jpg

20151115_110606.jpg

20151115_111111.jpg

Mercedes Benz GLE 250d is equipped with a in-line 4 Cylinder engine that churns out 500Nm torque and 204 HP power. As stated in the spec sheet in 1st post It does the 0-100km/h speed in 8.6 secs having a compression ratio of 16.2:1 and top speed of 212 km/h. Further, the 250D GLE comes equipped with 9 Speed G-tronic transmission in order to compete against the Discovery Sport. In the 250 D version which I drove, though the transmission was responsive and considerably smooth yet the drive wasn’t as peppy as I had expected it to be. There is a feel of drag in it when you drive it and I specifically pointed it out to the executive and as per his word, when driving a big SUV of GLE’s size with a diesel engine and such a AT Box, this slight drag is inevitable. However, I did not feel the statement to be justifiable. When I drove this SUV today it was in the comfort drive mode which is the default mode that is set after the car is re-started every time. Speaking of the drive modes, let me also state that there are 5 modes to choose from for driving this SUV as per your preference. The 5 modes inclusive of Comfort mode are Individual mode, Sport Mode, Slippery and Off-Road.

So, as the SUV was in comfort mode, the performance was not really peppy. The comfort mode is the fuel efficient and balanced ride mode and in that the gear shifts are pretty fast in comparison to all other modes. I achieved 60 km/h speed but the engine performance in this mode was not really exceptional. The engine in this mode felt lazy to be honest. As I never touch 3 digit speed, so I would say being diesel, the GLE’s engine was a very silent one at 60-70km/h range in terms of the NVH. The noise transmission to the cabin was nil. I would certainly suggest this SUV for long drives on Highways if one wants to enjoy a peaceful and comfortable ride.

The kind of responsiveness which I had felt in Discovery Sport, was missing in the 250 version GLE. Talking of the suspension, I would say it is nicely designed and with recent increase of speed bumps in my sector, I could test its suspension to a good extent. The jerks in the cabin are not much and the passenger doesn’t feel them much as well. However, if I speak of its ability to take sharp turns, then, let me be clear, GLE takes its own sweet time. It is not that agile at least I can say this for the 250D version. Just in case someone wants to consider a viable alternative to GLE before buying it, I would say, have a look on the Discovery Sport.

If I speak of the steering input, then as my test car was in comfort mode, thus, the steering felt quite well balanced. The steering is responsive but GLE being a comparatively big SUV, it does show its own tantrums. The steering is a 3 spoke multifunction steering wrapped in Nappa Leather and is equipped with gear shift lever, paddle shifters and other utility buttons being placed within the reach of driver.

The GLE 250 having 4 in-line with a eagerly projecting macho look is not a really fast SUV. In simple words, with the size and evident body roll, at best this can be a disciplined highway drive vehicle. Moving on the Tyres, my test car had 18 Inch Alloys with all disc brakes and 255 section Tyre. Coming to the braking part, the disc brakes are responsive and the braking is very good and the SUV stops in a balanced way. To the executive’s dislike, I tried braking all of a sudden on a service lane and let me tell you, GLE did not disappoint at all. Also the 4 Matic enhances the overall ride feel with features like ESP and traction control. Hence, in an emergency, driver does not need to panic at all because this SUV is very much capable to handle uncalled situations on our roads.

So, if I give my verdict on the driving manners of the GLE, then the 250D version has a balanced ride with decent driving manners. You’ll not feel strained after driving this SUV. I wasn’t disappointed neither really overwhelmed after driving it. I had mixed emotions to put it in easy words.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Interiors and Cabin Space of GLE Class.

20151115_110155.jpg

20151115_110203.jpg

20151115_111016.jpg

20151115_110622.jpg

20151115_110628.jpg

20151115_111103.jpg

To begin with, Interiors of GLE in my view are typically done in plush way as you may expect from any other Mercedes Benz. Right from the multi-function electric steering wheel to rectangular center AC vents, MID and followed by a large 7-inch infotainment screen with 20 CD Changer and Garmin Map Pilot. Having seen the interiors of ML-63 and earlier gen ML Class, I could not really make out any difference in Interiors of GLE for that matter. With wooden inserts, the cabin feels really premium and well laid out. If I talk of the seating, then driving position and comfort of the seats are very much there. There is enough thigh support and shoulder support with electrical adjustments. Having seen this car at the launch, and having spent time in the cabin back then and today, I can vouch for the fact that GLE offers premium cabin experience with lots of user-friendly gadgets. But let me also put it here that it is just a 5 seater SUV unlike the Discovery support which has got 3rd row seats. However, with its sheer size, the GLE does not compromise on the boot space which is 690 liters with seats upright and can be extended up to a massive 2010 Liters when the rear seats are folded in 60:40 split.

In terms of features if I may speak, it is a contemporary Benz with a host of features to boast of and for me the important one is the provision of 6 Airbags. In my life, I haven’t experienced so far the thrill of off-roading but today, the executive did inform that GLE can be a decent partner if you need to experience it. Earlier when I went to see the Maybach, few days back, my friend in Mercedes did tell me that the 350 D 4matic is a fully loaded version with off-roading capabilities. Moving ahead, the infotainment screen has media as well as rear view display which is pretty accurate and clear with warnings like Attention Assist and Crosswind Assist. Then comes the 2 Zone Climate control AC, sunroof, Map light console with appropriate buttons integrated. In the infotainment screen it shows minutest of the obstruction in the reversing camera. The GLE comes equipped with a feature to raise the off-road ground clearance with help of a button in the center console.

Thread Starter #5

Akash1886

Honoured Member

A couple of Clicks more!

* The Front LED Headlamps with DRL

20151115_111209.jpg

* Good Viewing Space of the ORVM

20151115_110600.jpg

What I Liked in GLE 250 D

* Cabin was plush

* NIL Cabin Noise

* NVH was well modulated

* Good Boot Space.

* Horn was of typical Mercedes tune.

* In-Cabin all round visibility was nice.

* Good and comfortable seats.

* Paint Finish is as usual very good.

* Alloys can be upgraded to 20inch

* Smooth Transmission

What can be better

* 250 D 4 Matic is not really peppy.

* No Rear AC

* No 360 Degree Reversing camera

* No Touch pad provided.

* No Online Command Control.

* Not a 7 seater

Finally, Summing up, GLE is a decent performer and the cabin visibility is very good and with the rear view assist and parking sensors, it is very easy really to park this SUV. It may not be of much liking to the hardcore off-roading enthusiasts but still can be a easy going on-road vehicle with effortless miles to be clocked and clocked without complain.

All details of this Test Drive Review are only for The Automotive India Only. Re-use of it needs full credit to TAI.

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom