Mercedes Benz E-Class VS Small Hatchbacks!

Your Pick?

• Total voters
Thread Starter #16

350Z

Core Team
I must admit, the entire feel of a brand new car or anything new for that matter is difficult to explain in words. I too would have joined my 5 fellow members in voting for the modern day hatches if the options were from other marques. But, we talking about the W124 here!
Absolutely well said. However, I consider that a nostalgic Mercedes like W124 or W210 any day have their own charm, which primarily provides you immense driving pleasure, a secured feeling in that solid body shell and a lot more, whereas at the same time, that head turning factor as well as boost in status which you get just comes as a bonus. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

I would any prefer a merc W124 or W210 over hatches, even its pre-owned & old, the command & respect you get out those cars can't be bought anywhere :)

Just the driving pleasure never let you get out of your Merc, where as any hatch is just another simple stupid car !

New mercs are more costly to maintain as compared to old ones, since there are too much electronics associated with engine & if any thing goes wrong, it goes in to safe mode & you are bound to go to ASS for 'star diagnosis'. W 210 has got lots of features compared to new hatches in 6- 7 lakhs price range, for eg ABS,EBD,ASR,BAS, 4 airbags, electronic key,antiglare rear view mirrors, speed sensor auto locking, electric rear curtain, courtesy lights on each door,remote auto opening of boot lid, remote opening & closing of window glasses. So friends for less money you get german car with lots of features & most of the parts are from Germany , even the bulbs.

i dont care about brand value neither i care how many people are noticing me rather i prefer nobody notices me.
but i want a car which makes me feel it is car. which stays with me forever without any issues.
which hatcback or sedans does have such qualities . i think none,except merc.
214 is definilty a steal considering those squarish edges and massive headlights - i like them.
the recent version with rounded up headlights and sleek body merc is not giving that unique exclusiveness as that of old ones .
if i could jump a bit more higher then it would be rolls royce.
did not drive any merc or high end cars yet but got couple of chances to inspect them from head to toes and the findings were jaw dropping considering built quality,technology and intelligence!!!

Thread Starter #20

350Z

Core Team
Interesting. The poll-results are almost head-on. :smile:
i dont care about brand value neither i care how many people are noticing me rather i prefer nobody notices me.
but i want a car which makes me feel it is car. which stays with me forever without any issues.
which hatcback or sedans does have such qualities . i think none,except merc.
214 is definilty a steal considering those squarish edges and massive headlights - i like them.
the recent version with rounded up headlights and sleek body merc is not giving that unique exclusiveness as that of old ones .
if i could jump a bit more higher then it would be rolls royce.
did not drive any merc or high end cars yet but got couple of chances to inspect them from head to toes and the findings were jaw dropping considering built quality,technology and intelligence!!!
True to those words. BTW, speaking about a Rolls Royce, I have seen one from an old era selling-off at Rs.14 Lakhs !!

Drive Safe,
350Z

I agree that a Merc is a status symbol, but nowadays everybody knows that we can afford a second hand merc from 2 lackhs , so i do not think we get that status by just owning a merc.

Engineering,safety,facility,looks all i agree, but i would prefer a lesser maintenance lesser headache new hatchback which i wish to open its hood only to refill the wiper fluid tank.

I own both a 2010 VW Polo TDi and W124 E220.

Servicing the Merc is cheaper than servicing the polo at ass.
My polo has done 1.40 lac KM and my E220 has done 2.25 Lac KM.
Both my German beauties still perform flawlessly.
And I keep the polo as Daily Driver and Merc for weekends and holidays.
And yes I would prefer my w124 any day over a civic accord or any Japanese tin boxes.
Once you buy German cars and Understand Them and are able to maintain them properly you will always buy German.

Recently got to drive a V6 accord and it simply doesn't stand a chance next to a W124. And the amount of fun you get while playing with the corollas , Modded lancers and Civics is just great fun. A w124 can still do 180+ without sweating.

Thread Starter #24

350Z

Core Team
I own both a 2010 VW Polo TDi and W124 E220. Servicing the Merc is cheaper than servicing the polo at ass.
Heartiest welcome to The Automotive India, Manikjeet. I’m always keen to learn more about the older E-Class models. How about sharing break-up of a few recent service bills?

Drive Safe,
350Z

@ 350Z thanks for the welcome, I hope to enjoy the company of like Minded person like you.

I got her serviced a little while ago.

Change the Engine Oil Rs 2500 non synthetic.
Oil filter was around 800 original
Air filter was 500 Mann.
Suspension Overhaul was 78000 front and rear. OE spare.
Clutch was 9800 OE
N10 relay or comfort relay repair 100.
New Fuses 1000.
Labor was 500.

Also recently my speed o meter cable was broken got that was 3800 and the mechanic look 200. Took about 2 weeks to locate the cable.

Some pics of my Betz

Need a coolant Bottle.

Attachments

Thanks for sharing the details. How much mileage is it delivering you? Please consider writing a detailed owner's review so that we could discuss further about this beautiful car.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Surely.

She Gives around 7-8 KMPL. But recently I tanked her up to the brim and Drove for 50 KMs. It was a Sunday and Chandigarh roads are like Highway. I again tanked her up. She only took 3.24 L of fuel so that translate in 16 KMPL. [:D][:D]

I will write a detailed review and post it here in a short while.

A W124 anyday, even when compared to a sedan upto 10L. It has the strongest bulletproof engine. Runs like a dream and is built like a tank.

Merc any day! You cant compare a Mercedes with the likes of small hatch backs with respect to the driving experience, even if it's a used one!

Top Bottom