Mercedes Benz E-Class VS Small Hatchbacks!

Your Pick?

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Don’t be surprised by this topic’s title. Like most of the avid followers of The Automotive India must be aware already that it is very much possible to get a Mercedes Benz E-Class for as less money as Rs.5 Lakhs (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-mercedes-benz-only-rs-5-lakhs.html#post53980), So now, based on a point posted by Akash, Here I ask you that today if you have barely Rs.5 Lakhs in pocket for car purchase, which would you pick and why?

Option 1:
Pre-Owned Mercedes Benz E-Class (W124 / W210)

Option 2:
Brand New Hatchback (Maruti Swift, Nissan Micra, Volkswagen Polo etc.)

Or to put that in even more simpler words - Would you prefer going with sheer luxury, brand image over affordability and contemporary design? Let the polling now begin.

volkswagen-polo-04.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

I will choose a brand new hatchback as it will be easy to maintain and the car will be in top running condition always. No use in buying a discarded car and have it lying in the garage for spares to arrive in case something goes wrong with the car.

Though if i have the money i will always go in for a brand new Benz C-Class maybe![;)]

Thread Starter #3

350Z

Core Team
Suppose if you have enough cash to maintain a Pre-owned Merc, would your answer now differ? :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

I guess most people will still say No, Because the car is dated and almost no High profile people keep them now.
I would love to have one though cause I love that particular model. I love the W 123 even more. Thats a true classic for me and I simply love the 80's.[thumbsup]

Suppose if you have enough cash to maintain a Pre-owned Merc, would your answer now differ? :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Aah well a difficult question. I have no particular interest in this model but if i get some other model which i like in a good price and provided i have enough cash to keep her running in top condition always , i surely will go in for one!

i will choose the hatch.

such a old merc will have its own share of problems & niggles, it wont be as reliable as a new car.

most importantly, the merc will not only come with its status & snob value, but it will also come with its huge service bills & atrocious spare prices. buying the car for 5L is just half the part, maintaining it will cost a fortune. remember, most of the spares will now be unavailable too, so that mean longer waiting at the A.S.S & also ultra high cost for that spares.

i would go for the Merc! It is an old merc, so problems are going to be rare so spares wont be much of trouble, but yes they would happen sometime or other but that is the fun of owning a pre-worshipped car!!

Drive Safe,
350Z
Hey buddy! You stay in Delhi right ? So maintaining will be easier & bit cheaper, just find some genuine workshop other then ASS. If your liking is Merc then no hatchback is going to satisfy you. You are free to call me if incase needed.

Thread Starter #9

350Z

Core Team
Hey buddy! You stay in Delhi right ? So maintaining will be easier & bit cheaper, just find some genuine workshop other then ASS. If your liking is Merc then no hatchback is going to satisfy you. You are free to call me if incase needed.
Hi Goaboy, I was keenly expecting your response in this thread, and now good to see it here. :smile: Yes, I live in Delhi, and have also come across some mint condition W210 / W124s but it is primarily the future maintenance costs which pulls me away. I would also appreciate a couple of lines from you in this thread, regarding maintenance cost and other information on Mercedes W210.

Drive Safe,
350Z

The condition given by vibhor

If i am able to maintain a pre owned benz
sure i will , i am more safe inside the benz than a hatch for the same price.
yeah i need to pay some for my safety , i match them up for the spares. Once after a complete full service , its as new old benz ready to serve many more years..

so yeah benz will my choice!

i feel new hatchback like polo makes more sense.. still i will go with MERC! [thumbswink] But only if somebody else is going to bear service costs. Lol.

Royalty without paying a King's Ransom

I must admit, the entire feel of a brand new car or anything new for that matter is difficult to explain in words. I too would have joined my 5 fellow members in voting for the modern day hatches if the options were from other marques. But, we talking about the W124 here!

C'mon guys, try this just once in your life.

Get into a Swift/Micra/Polo and go on a drive. How many people will notice you? In a Swift, there will hardly be anyone. In the Micra, maybe a few and yet more in a Polo. Then take your lady out shopping to the mall or out for dinner at a fancy restaurant or any 5-Star hotel.

Now, get into a 220/250D and take her out for a spin. You will be amazed at the number of people straining their necks to have a look at your ride when out for a drive in the neighborhood. Take your lady out for dinner, drive up to the porch of any 5-star hotel and watch the door-man and the valet snap to attention in a smart salute.

You will now know the difference between the aam-junta and royalty. This is the magic of the 3-Pointed Star. It opens doors, gets people to treat you differently from the rest. It tells the world that you have arrived. Not in any flashy way, but in a subtle, old-school manner.

The satisfaction of being at the receiving end of such royal treatment will make your chest swell up with pride.

While BMW, AUDI and their ilk were making noises of how the Indian market is not ready for their finely-tuned machines, Mercedes was happily selling their entire line-up to any Indian wanting to purchase their machines.

Faith is always a two-way street. Put faith in your customers and they will reward you with their loyalty.

This is the magic of the Three-Pointed Star.

Top Bottom