Mercedes Benz A-Class Review & Pictures: A Class Apart

Re: Mercedes Benz A-Class Test Drive Review

Nice Elaborative review[clap]. Thanks for sharing. BTW, I heard that not even rear parking sensors are standard on base variant. Is it true?. Compared to this , base version of 1 series feels bare bones in terms of features. A comparo between A and 1-series and V40 would be great[evil].

Hi Iron rock ,

Thank you for detailed review.

I have booked A class Petrol version in Pune with BU bhandari.

However parking sensors and reverse camera is not available even for test drive vehicle parking sensors and camera was not available.

I checked with BU bhandari and these things are not even available as accessories as of now.

Can you let me know from where did you fitted this parking sensors and camera?

Thanks

Thread Starter #33

Adish firstly congrats on the A class.
Just to clarify media drive vehicles usually comes fully loaded - and standard equipment are best checked with manufacturer website as those could change with time/variants as well.
Reverse parking sensors and camera are a must have accessory for the A class, in your case seems like the dealer doesnt have the accessory ready, i suggest you drop a mail to mercedes benz india (even referring to our review link if needed) and tell them you need these accessories ASAP.

Most importantly do read the manual - the amount of functions the A class has and tricks hidden is immense - please keep us posted an ownership review would be great!

Iron Rock and team, this was a superb and well composed TAI report, i have ever come across with beautiful treat of pics.
Thanks for the effort that all of you have put in this review.

Performance from Petrol car is awesome but Diesel is so lethargic . It must have been detuned to atleast 130-140 BHP in lieu of 109 BHP .

The provision of camera and sensor facility hides the " negative factor of windscreen, black interiors, heavy black tinted window glass and formation of dark atmosphere from glass and interiors " in toto. If the cabling is routed through left side mats to front and rear bumpers and connected with Display, How it is going to affect the Engine control and drive train and Electrical system is puzzling to me .

Design flaws and Defect of A class ( on " Rear Visibility " Angle alone ) which will compromise driving safety and parking safety*

1. As such windshield is too small and 20 cms lower than Audi Q3 in comparable way .

2. Head rests in the back seats in the left and right side hides windshield view almost 50% and only through small mid area one has to see the rear side through rear view mirror .

3. Absence of sun roof will arrest the light inflow in dull weather and monsoon prone Chennai area as car is having heavy black tinted glass. Traffic Police need to be countered by proving that there is no sun control film.

4. Black interiors add extra black without any reflection and car becomes totally dark after 4 pm in sunny day and always in rainy and cloudy days . Beige interiors will add more light really*

5. Driving the car without front and rear sensors will be at risk for third party in the road*

6. In such scenario, forcing the customer to give a letter for fixing this at the cost of NIL warranty appears to be " anti customers " while the Reverse camera and sensors were fitted by Merc or it's dealer in other parts of Country by understanding the customer safety needs *is surprising*

When one is asked to cough 75000 Rs for Radiator Grill for showing beauty of A class and isolated and ditched in Safety sensors for protecting front bumper and Rear Bumper , It is really a pity at Merc angle .

Hope Merc wants the customer to break the front and back *bumper frequently and replace the parts to maximize their business profits . What would happen when an innocent person gets hit in this speedy and messy roads ?*

Negative feedback from Customer is important to set right the issues and flaws and attract more Customers in the long run

When Merc provides front and rear sensors with active park assist , what made them to blindfold in this peeping small rear windscreen at the cost of safety and comforts .

A class is BLIND as long as the above is not set right . Stealing the warranty if customer fixes reverse camera and sensors in front and back is day robbery and charging just for rear sensors st 25000 Rs is looting .

Stay away though I took delivery of this car and blindly driving .

Merc is silent on front and rear sensor combination offerings though they offered test drive cars to Automotive India and power drift to show case how it looks like safety wise and comfort wise.

They do not bother and terrify customers to detach warranty in case one indulges in putting simply this sensors and camera

I have and had an opportunity to put so many in my Honda City ,Civic etc as it after all going though plastic bumper inside without touching any electrical ,engine , transmission system .

Merc would like and love to see how customer is handling the car blindly in Indian Soil only to losse the all the good word about it .

They are so adamant in providing in this tiny car which is having small wind screen in rear but proudly keeping in E class though it is not warranted due to its large windscreen visibility

Mails sent to Merc was waste and already got trashed is my opinion.

I just bought and parked in my slot as I am afraid of parking the car both in front and back .

To ride this car simply, one must use

1. Eco mode switched on
2. Headlamp switch on to Automatic always.
3. Remeber to use left side turn indicator to make it Right side high (RH) and Left side down ( LD)
4. Always keep the foot on brake as Eco shuts the engines during stopping and starting while taking away the foot from brake
5. Keep the right side Gear shift lever safely as it is the dangerous one if one is using Indian cars for turning on purpose

Last edited by a moderator:

I just covered around 700 Kms in NH 47 in Diesel A 180 CDI and frequently tested how it behaves at high speed with braking was my concern . When I saw staright road , I just pushed Accelerator and found that car was going at 120 Kmph like my Civic as usual but when I saw the odo, my god,it was at 155 .

When applying brake , I felt as if I kept my leg on sponge . What a brake !!!

I was little nervous about sensors in rear and front but got accustomed to good turning . Thanks to the Torque it has naturally.

Seats are combination of fabric and leather and need to be cleaned and maintained in dual way how one adopts for fabric and leather technically

High beam is outstanding and even the truck driver must come down to settle down and one can have rainbow like beam and lights effect which bring the day time effect really for safety

Sports mode make more thrilling but speed comes in only after 4-7th gear when rev is up but Eco is best with on and off instant firing

Engine stalling as if heavy flywheel is mounted for arresting fast motion and bring the system well within control is amazing and equally while stopping the car too.

Car costs 36 lacs with 4 years star ease plan with necessary accessories like diamond Grill ,flaps to save from 225 tyres , sports pedals etc

Centre rear view mirror and right mirror is having bluish reflection while left mirror is having actual color of rear vehicles and when checked with Merc, they said it is by default and request other members to confirm

AC recirculation mode switch is on with red color and soon disappearing . Is its common or standard ? I donna

Cruise control stick often disturbs the turning indicator unless one used to with it .

More concern about sensors and display for reverse and forward parking as the entire family used with such facility remain unanswered till by Merc though I am very happy on highway now . I will move back in same highway in sports mode to gauge its speed, braking,mileage and comforts in next 2-3 days

Manual mode is sheer waste since we got many fiddlings from Merc already in steering wheel and it's right and left side control along with sticks of both right and left coupled with electronic parking, audio knob ,button control

Multitasking but simple to handle if one adopt standard Eco,Seat belt,Auto head lamp,up or down shifting in right for movement

Last edited:

Trick of Right gear shift stick

For R , one has to speedily raise up the stick from D and ULTA

*For Neutral one has to gently shift slowly from R to N or D to N in down or up way

Now forget about *

Simply press Park button inside , shift is coming from R to P or D to P .

Then turning indicator in left side is always intruded with projected Cruise control stick

Just keep the hands above centre of steering wheel and simply use the finger to up for R and down for L

Remember RH and LD always .

Right High and Left Down

Eco mode .Keep the brake right for shutting down in plain road or else in speed breaker , car starts rolling back especially in Toll . In such case keep the leg light on brake so that engine is not stalled

Sports mode is thrilling with automatic gear shift in high way for the required speed and Manual paddle shift must have been abandoned or removed as such

For Reverse and front sensor, Merc is still silent and I presume , they would have ignored in toto

Volvo Cross country is best competitor for this A class with auto park assist and more power and soon will kill A class

Any Updates regarding A Class ? Has Mercedes started assembling it or still its imported ?.

When will A Class be locally produced ?.

Will Mercedes add more features like Climate Control, Sunroof, Leather Seats, Parking Sensors to the A Class ?

Thread Starter #43

350Z

Core Team

Mercedes Benz A-Class Updated Price List:

Ex.showroom | On-Road (Delhi):

> A180 CDI Style: Rs.25,64,000 | Rs.30,03,124

> A180 CDI Style Edition 1: Rs.27,90,000 | Rs.32,58,840

> A180 Sport: 26,56,200 | 30,43,082

Ex.showroom | On-Road (Mumbai):

> A180 CDI Style: Rs.23,95,094 | Rs.33,34,724

> A180 CDI Style Edition 1: Rs.23,95,094 | Rs.35,52,206

> A180 Sport: Rs.24,87,294 | Rs.34,54,521

Ex.showroom | On-Road (Bangalore):

> A180 CDI Style: Rs.2,824,537 | Rs.3,589,770

> A180 CDI Style Edition 1: Rs.3,103,205 | Rs.3,937,948

> A180 Sport: Rs.2,938,223 | Rs.3,802,772

Ex.showroom | On-Road (Kolkata):

> A180 CDI Style: Rs.2,824,537 | Rs.33,19,136

> A180 CDI Style Edition 1: Rs.3,103,205 | Rs.35,35,519

> A180 Sport: Rs.2,938,223 | Rs.34,46,127

Ex.showroom | On-Road (Chennai):

> A180 CDI Style: Rs.2,824,537 | Rs.3,529,729

> A180 CDI Style Edition 1: Rs.3,103,204 | Rs.3,796,283

> A180 Sport: Rs.2,938,223 | Rs.3,666,308

Drive Safe,
350Z

Re: Mercedes Benz A-Class Review | Test Drive | Pictures

All is wow in the car except the engine output, if ones looking for performance is this better than civic engine output ?

Top Bottom