MBA Discussions, Suggestions and Advice

Thread Starter #1
Guys, I am looking for some advice & opinions regarding doing MBA in UK.

I am planning to do MBA from UK, a one year full time course. The course will start in Oct 2012.

What are your opinions regarding -

Coventry
New Castle
Bangor
Cardiff

The reason I have shortlisted the above schools is because they do not require GMAT or GRE scores for admission and they are affordable as well. I am particularly very interested in Coventry as Coventry is known as the "Motor City"! Moreover, Coventry is known to be very very safe and the city is very affordable as well.

I am planning to approach "Global Opportunities" in Thane/Dadar/Bandra for the admission process.

Raj, doing an MBA outside India is good, I don't know about the universities you have mentioned but they hold better weightage to your career.

Do have a look at the specialization they are offering.

Thanks for opening this thread. Actually, i too have desire of pursuing MBA after an years job experience. I am also preparing for GMAT.

PS: May i know why you dont want to go through GMAT?

Thats a nice thread that you have started Raj bhai. will be helpful for many people trying to go abroad for MBA.

I did my MBA from US and now working here. Have couple of my friends in UK though, will try to collect some info from them. If i get a hold of them.

Guys, I am looking for some advice & opinions regarding doing MBA in UK.

I am planning to do MBA from UK, a one year full time course. The course will start in Oct 2012.

What are your opinions regarding -

Coventry
New Castle
Bangor
Cardiff

The reason I have shortlisted the above schools is because they do not require GMAT or GRE scores for admission and they are affordable as well. I am particularly very interested in Coventry as Coventry is known as the "Motor City"! Moreover, Coventry is known to be very very safe and the city is very affordable as well.

I am planning to approach "Global Opportunities" in Thane/Dadar/Bandra for the admission process.
Any reason Raj bhai why you want to go for a school which does not require GMAT and GRE.

Just a thought. If you score a good GMAT/GRE and TOEFL score you will have more options open. But they are pain to pass with good score[frustration].

Thanks for opening this thread. Actually, i too have desire of pursuing MBA after an years job experience. I am also preparing for GMAT.

Where are you planning to do it from US or UK?

Thread Starter #5
Raj, doing an MBA outside India is good, I don't know about the universities you have mentioned but they hold better weightage to your career.

Do have a look at the specialization they are offering.
I am thinking about specialization in Marketing or Finance, in that order.

I have a 3 years work experience.

I dont want to go through GMAT as it requires you to take time off from your business, sit & study for close to atleast 4-5 months. I dont have that liberty as I am currently working.

Any reason Raj bhai why you want to go for a school which does not require GMAT and GRE.
1) GMAT requires lots of time.
2) Its a pain to clear it with great scores.
3) Good GMAT will grant me admission in Tier-I colleges, but they are damn expensive.

Thinking of UK only as UK has a 1 year course as opposed to 2 years in US.

But actually a MBA is more about exposure than a degree. Tier-1 colleges gives you more exposure, helps to collaborate with experts. Mere than a degree i think this matters most for any higher studies. I think it's better to be in Tier-1.

UK preferably, for the reason that the course duration is less.

1) GMAT requires lots of time.
2) Its a pain to clear it with great scores.
3) Good GMAT will grant me admission in Tier-I colleges, but they are damn expensive.

Thinking of UK only as UK has a 1 year course as opposed to 2 years in US.
True, GMAT requires a lot of hard work.

I am thinking about specialization in Marketing or Finance, in that order.
Both has very good scope, Marketing for its full of theoretical aspects and finance with some practical aspects, If you are interested you can opt for dual specialization if the concerned university has this kind of course.

I have a 3 years work experience.
May i know which field you are working in?

I guess if you go for GMAT and score a big score, you will definitely get a Tier 1 school and you might as well get a scholarship.
And if you get a GA job in ths campus .Than dude that's the best thing that can happen.

One of my friend got a GA job and he only had to pay half of his total fees and on top of that he used to get $1000 monthly stipend.[:D]

Thread Starter #10
Both has very good scope, Marketing for its full of theoretical aspects and finance with some practical aspects, If you are interested you can opt for dual specialization if the concerned university has this kind of course.

May i know which field you are working in?
I was working in construction & tourism.

I guess if you go for GMAT and score a big score, you will definitely get a Tier 1 school and you might as well get a scholarship.
And if you get a GA job in ths campus .Than dude that's the best thing that can happen.

One of my friend got a GA job and he only had to pay half of his total fees and on top of that he used to get $1000 monthly stipend.[:D]
True. But right now, because of my work pressures, I cant go for GMAT.

Higher Education-Clarity Needed !!

Hi Friends,

I am in dilemma & need all your valuable inputs as usual..

I am a Diploma Graduate & Interested in further studies. I would like to go for distant learning. I have completed my 10+2(PUC)+Diploma(3 Years). 15 Years of Education. I am posting my questions below if you guys can help me with your expertise that would be of great help. I would be interested in MBA in IT/Operations.

My Questions are:

1. Is my present education considered as Graduation? (Am asking this because I get a mixed response few saying yes its Grad & others saying its not)
2. If yes, which is a good institute for Distant Learning.
3. Will it have equal weightage as normal MBA.
4. What is the difference between EMBA & normal MBA, which one is best?
5. Will the MBA once be completed be considered in other companies or they specifically look into 10th Garduation like a Bachelor Degree then MBA?
6. Is it mandate to have a Bachelor Degree for MBA or its still fine with 15 years of formal educations?

waiting for inputs..

Regards.
Santosh.V

Re: Higher Education-Clarity Needed !!

@Santosh before I can answer your question you haven't mentioned in which stream you are a diploma graduate? however I have generalized below on some of the questions you asked.

As far as I know a diploma from a govt. recognized institute or college is considered equal to a formal degree like B.com

The general saying goes is companies usually prefer people who have done normal MBA than distance education unless circumstances allow you otherwise & companies might look at what your degree was depending on what you applying for & what kind of work they need you to perform if they hire you.

Others if they have better info can add on or correct me if I am wrong

EnfieldRyder

Am a Electronics & Telecommunication graduate. Am from technical background but now I ve spent years in IT. So to move up the ladder I felt instead of learning something from scratch in technical why not do MBA & move up the ladder in IT/Operations. Also guys please put some light on the oppurtunities which I can avail. Need inputs as I dnt want to waste much time on delaying the admissions. Waiting for early replies folks..

Regards.
Santosh.V

Thread Starter #15
Guys, just to update this thread -

I have secured a place in Coventry University, UK. I got offer letters from some better Universities too, but due to many reasons, I chose Coventry over the others.

Thanks for your wishes and support.

Top Bottom