Maruti To Pay Rs.1 Lakh for Wrong Fuel Efficiency Advertisement

Thread Starter #1
Maruti Udyog Ltd (MUL) has been asked by a city district consumer forum to pay Rs 1 lakh to one of its customers as compensation for “inducing” him to buy a car through misleading advertisements on its mileage.

The Hindu : Business / Companies : MUL to pay Rs. 1 lakh for wrong fuel efficiency advertisement

I hope Ford India takes a lesson out of this judgement and stops publishing misleading advertisements regarding fuel efficiency of the Fiesta Classic (now known as only Classic).

Re: MUL to pay Rs. 1 lakh for wrong fuel efficiency advertisement

@MBT [clap], Thanks for sharing this as this really made me laugh !!

It should be an eye opener for companies while giving advertisements as well for prospective buyers to read the advertisements properly. Yes companies be careful while giving abnormal fuel efficiency figures in advertisements !

Re: MUL to pay Rs. 1 lakh for wrong fuel efficiency advertisement

So far only car I have driven which gives exact FE as advertized is Punto 90hp. with a normal drive I could never achieve anything above 20. Ofcourse in expert extra sedate mode it do give 24 but they are typically figurative.

True! now-a-days companies don't care about the advertisements, or keep their words.
in earlier times they maintained their quality.
my 92 Bajaj 4s used to give me 89 kmpl (now ~60 as i changed the cylinder)
my 2001 5Speed 800 gave 28 kmpl with AC highway and 22-23 in city with AC

but my waggie, MUL surprised me when they said that it can return 19.8. certainly not getting it. before the first service i got ~21, but after that it dropped back to 16-17

This is great news.. Companies should learn to separate advertisement from publicity. In reality most companies follow the ARAI numbers; however citing Auto magazine figures for your own benefit is a little too far.
Good judgement from the Court.

Bajaj should be fined 1Cr then...they advertise upto 100 kmpl[anger].
Remember that bike called byk ?? [lol]

Ford and Hyundai are famous for making outrageous claims more then maruti they must be fined first . Actually all make outrageous claims but the above mentioned 2 are the most shameless of the lot .

Bajaj should be fined 1Cr then...they advertise upto 100 kmpl[anger].
Remember that bike called byk ?? [lol]
Surprisingly one of my old friends did have that model, and it did gave ~98 kmpl OTR, (in highways of course).
but it was a very light weight model, and the spares were not available so he sold it off.

Top Bottom