Maruti Suzuki Wagon-R: Technical Queries & Solutions

Bonnet temperature? Do you mean just feeling the temperature of the metal? I really doubt that would give you any meaningful information.

Dust on the outside of the radiator is likely going to be insignificant, particularly if the fan is working properly. Can you hear the fan starting up when stationary? When was the last time you flushed your radiator?
No, I meant I opened the bonnet and felt the temperature to see any abnormality and to see if any steam is forming or what. Nothing like that, looks normal.

I can feel the fan starting and working when stationary and blowers working without engine getting started.

Radiator flushing, I am not sure I have ever got it done, except if service guys do it as normal part of their service routine.

Engine Type: K10B
Valve/Cylinder (Configuration): 4, SOHC

The vehicle has completed 3rd servicing and the bill was around 5000. Below are details of service report

1) I have used the full synthetic oil OW-40 and the brand was MOBIL1. Which is around 1350/Ltr. The required quantity was 2.9 Liters.
Oil filter changed [Rs 3915]
2) A/C filter changed. The electrician told me that the car which comes from factory doesn't have A/C filter [surprise], not sure how true is this. We need to install it during 1st or 2nd servicing which was not done in my case both the serving were done at my home [via service van]. With new A/C filter got a free car perfume, the quality is worst, got rid of it right after driving out of showroom. - Rs 350
3) Consumables: 4 rubber kits on the door [Rs 10]
4) Nitrogen in all 5 Tyres - Rs 125 [25/ Tyre]
5) Washing / Polishing / Waxing done - [Rs 335]
6) FM / AM frequency & Sound equalizer was not was not in good shape credits to my 3 year old. This was set by service personnel for - Free.
7) Sear covers was bit loose, got it fixed - Free

After servicing the car few changes in the car:
1) Improved pickup
2) First 2 days engine was bit noisy but its carmed down now.
3) Sound quality is improved

Thanks,
Satyajeet

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
then why are you paying for synthetic oil ? it won't increase the engine life whatsoever. IMO you should stick to mineral or maybe semi-synthetic.
does maruti recommends fully synth just because of the AGS ?

then why are you paying for synthetic oil ? it won't increase the engine life whatsoever. IMO you should stick to mineral or maybe semi-synthetic.
That was recommended by maruti.

Even i advised that go for oil type as per manual [semi-synthetic ] but the SA showed me a new circular which was sent to them on 27 Oct which recommends both Full/Semi synthetic oil. Also the price difference between the two was give or take Rs 200-400/liter. So i went for Full Synthetic MOBIL1.

Even they were Substantial about its good for the engine life and blah blah .... But not having more details about this i didnt had any option [confused]

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
I think he lied. The semi synthetic wont cost above 1350rs for 2.9 liters. So difference will be around 2500rs. Car engine will live even with mineral oil if changed regularly. My santro's at 160k kms ( 120k kms on cng) and i always use mineral oil changed every 5k.

Anyways next time you should switch to semi and no this won't hurt the engine.

No, I meant I opened the bonnet and felt the temperature to see any abnormality and to see if any steam is forming or what. Nothing like that, looks normal.

I can feel the fan starting and working when stationary and blowers working without engine getting started.

Radiator flushing, I am not sure I have ever got it done, except if service guys do it as normal part of their service routine.
In that case, it sounds like your radiator may be clogged. This is normal, and it would be worth getting the core examined or cleaned. I don't believe they flush it typically, as the process is time consuming.

Engine Type: K10B
Valve/Cylinder (Configuration): 4, SOHC

The vehicle has completed 3rd servicing and the bill was around 5000. Below are details of service report

1) I have used the full synthetic oil OW-40 and the brand was MOBIL1. Which is around 1350/Ltr. The required quantity was 2.9 Liters.
Oil filter changed [Rs 3915]
2) A/C filter changed. The electrician told me that the car which comes from factory doesn't have A/C filter [surprise], not sure how true is this. We need to install it during 1st or 2nd servicing which was not done in my case both the serving were done at my home [via service van]. With new A/C filter got a free car perfume, the quality is worst, got rid of it right after driving out of showroom. - Rs 350
3) Consumables: 4 rubber kits on the door [Rs 10]
4) Nitrogen in all 5 Tyres - Rs 125 [25/ Tyre]
5) Washing / Polishing / Waxing done - [Rs 335]
6) FM / AM frequency & Sound equalizer was not was not in good shape credits to my 3 year old. This was set by service personnel for - Free.
7) Sear covers was bit loose, got it fixed - Free

After servicing the car few changes in the car:
1) Improved pickup
2) First 2 days engine was bit noisy but its carmed down now.
3) Sound quality is improved

Thanks,
Satyajeet
The K10B engine has 3 cylinders, with 4 valves per cylinder, just FYI.

It is true that most MSIL vehicles leave the factory without a cabin air filter, that has been discussed elsewhere on this forum. Good call by your mechanic to install that!

On what basis are you making that claim? Synthetic oils typically carry far better friction modifiers and detergents, that can have a considerable impact on the cleanliness/performance/longevity of various engine components.

The gearbox in these vehicles doesn't share oil with the engine, as far as I'm aware, so the AGS likely isn't relevant to the engine oil.

I think he lied. The semi synthetic wont cost above 1350rs for 2.9 liters. So difference will be around 2500rs. Car engine will live even with mineral oil if changed regularly. My santro's at 160k kms ( 120k kms on cng) and i always use mineral oil changed every 5k.

Anyways next time you should switch to semi and no this won't hurt the engine.
He was indeed overcharged for the oil, compared to the market price. That said, it is not difficult to keep a car engine 'living'. The question that comes into play is how healthy this life is, and mineral oils typically do not carry the additives necessary to promote engine health. That aside, a good synthetic or synthetic blend would also allow for longer oil change intervals (often ~10k kms). Combined with potential improvements in running costs, the added oil cost typically pays off well.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Fully synth has additives , agreed. But i would like to know how much the difference is in real life. If you can find any link please share.

The only point in using a fully synth for me will be to avoid frequent oil changes. Obviously if i do 15k -20k a year.

My friend bought a wagonR cng when i bought my verna back in 2012.
My first three services costed me a total of 2400 rs.
And his car's service costed him 5k each. When i asked the reason he said maruti recommends fully synth for cng so i assumed maruti was recommending the same for ags also.

My santro's at 167k kms (i checked today) (127k kms on cng and 95% driven in city) covered in 6 years using just mineral oil but changing the oil every 5k. How much more life the fully synth would have given me ?

I paid around 650rs for every 5k
Mineral oil expense - 22k.

Fully synth at every 12k at 3500rs per oil change.
Oil expense - around 48k.
I would rather spend the difference amount of 26k in engine overhaul and extend the life of the engine by another 100k kms than to spend the same amount on fully synth which may or may not make my engine last for i don't know how much longer.

It's just my personal experience and for me one should switch to synthetic only to avoid frequent oil changes. Else regular timely mineral oil change is more than sufficient.

Last edited:
In that case, it sounds like your radiator may be clogged. This is normal, and it would be worth getting the core examined or cleaned. I don't believe they flush it typically, as the process is time consuming.
Feeling bit relaxed hearing this is quite normal. I have got this feedback from you and couple of other guys suggesting to go for radiator flush as first step and then check thermostat as well.

I will get this done in next couple of days and keep team posted with updates

Hello Friends,
I am interested in changing my Wagon R 1.1's horn, looking for suggestions and want good loud sound, as in my city it is definitely needed.

Changed the air filter first time, it had become brittle and choked @19.5k odo reading, and got the cabin filter cleaned, lot of dried leaves came out of the cavity next to the blower.

Guys, Anyone face any issue with Wagon R AMT model. I have few queries.
I am planning to buy one.
How is the performance of AMT in Wagon R ?
How is the mileage in city limits ?
Any gear box issues or AMT issues ?

Read lot of AMT issues in Alto & Celerio. These issue are still with Wagon R ?

That was recommended by maruti.

Even i advised that go for oil type as per manual [semi-synthetic ] but the SA showed me a new circular which was sent to them on 27 Oct which recommends both Full/Semi synthetic oil. Also the price difference between the two was give or take Rs 200-400/liter. So i went for Full Synthetic MOBIL1.

Even they were Substantial about its good for the engine life and blah blah .... But not having more details about this i didnt had any option [confused]
Hi Satyaeet,
I am planning to get a Wagon R AMT. It seems you already covered couple of thousand KM. How is the performance of AMT in wagon R?
Any over heating issues or any AMT module issues ?

Guys, Anyone face any issue with Wagon R AMT model. I have few queries.
I am planning to buy one.
How is the performance of AMT in Wagon R ?
How is the mileage in city limits ?
Any gear box issues or AMT issues ?

Read lot of AMT issues in Alto & Celerio. These issue are still with Wagon R ?
I would suggest you more modern car's like tiago and Tigor AMT, I own a 2014 Wagon R, it drives like a brick and looks like one.

And maruti have not been able to fine tune the AMT unit as well as tata, MS has the earlier generation unit until Ignis.

TD all the AMT equipped in your budget and then take a call.

kkn13

Suspended
AMT is the same on any car, its the engine its paired with that matters and it plays better with engines like 1.3 MJD
Dont go for AMT gearboxes in any car regardless of brand
AMT is the same in every brand , comes from Magnetti Marelli
Go for torque converter(Hyundai, Honda) or CVT(Nissan,Honda) in this range

Top Bottom