Maruti Suzuki Wagon-R: Technical Queries & Solutions

regarding tyre size
please keep to the stock profile if you wish to have the same mileage ,i upsized to 155/R15, mileage dropped by 2 kmpl[frustration]
Hi Vishnu,

Just with the Section Width and the Rim Diameter(155/R15) no one can get an idea of the actual tire size that you are using. For that, Aspect Ratio is also required.(ie, 155/XX/R15)

*Can you please tell us the Aspect Ratio and the BRAND of the tire you are using?
*The 15inch Rim made up of Alloy or Steel? Also say the width of the rim.

If you did odometer re-calibration for your up-sided tire, then can you please tell us how it is done?

Regards.,

Last edited:
Hi Vishnu,

Just with the Section Width and the Rim Diameter(155/R15) no one can get an idea of the actual tire size that you are using. For that, Aspect Ratio is also required.(ie, 155/XX/R15)

*Can you please tell us the Aspect Ratio and the BRAND of the tire you are using?
*The 15inch Rim made up of Alloy or Steel? Also say the width of the rim.

If you did odometer re-calibration for your up-sided tire, then can you please tell us how it is done?

Regards.,
HI Kichu
sorry there was a slight mistake ,i entered as 155/r15,it was actually 155/r13

i upgraded from stock bridgestone to michelin energy xm2 (i was quite surprised by bridgestone quality,it lasted till 40000 km +7 years,not much thread wear as my dad did alignment ,balancing correctly,only sidewall went off)
now my profile is 155/65/R13

regarding odo recaliberation,i am not sure about it, anyway i had odometer error after few kilometres after that and it was rectified by my local service centre.

but again i am saying if one can compromise a bit on mileage then upgrade will definitely prove,handling + braking will definitely improve

HI Kichu
sorry there was a slight mistake ,i entered as 155/r15,it was actually 155/r13

i upgraded from stock bridgestone to michelin energy xm2 (i was quite surprised by bridgestone quality,it lasted till 40000 km +7 years,not much thread wear as my dad did alignment ,balancing correctly,only sidewall went off)
now my profile is 155/65/R13

regarding odo recaliberation,i am not sure about it, anyway i had odometer error after few kilometres after that and it was rectified by my local service centre.

but again i am saying if one can compromise a bit on mileage then upgrade will definitely prove,handling + braking will definitely improve
Hi Vishnu,

Okay, thanks for the clarification[:)]. Actually in our region, 155/R15 tires are bit difficult to get since most of the brands dont have this size.

OMG, you are the first person I see who getting poor mileage with XM2.

Odometer re-calibration according to the upgraded tire is little difficult/tricky task. Only an expert person can do it accurately. Any idea about how he did?

My stock tire size is 155/80/13 JK and upgraded to 175/70/13 XM2. I never had any noticeable reduction in mileage even thought the upgrade is from 155 to 175.[:D]

I believe your stock tire size is 145/65/13. So there is an increase of 2.5%.
My suggestions are

*Increase the psi of your tires. XM2 are really soft tires. You will get better pose by increasing 2-3psi more than the recommended tire pressure.
*Compare your odometer reading with another car's/bike's odometer for the same distance of drive and see whether it has any difference or not.

Regards.,

Hi Vishnu,

Okay, thanks for the clarification[:)]. Actually in our region, 155/R15 tires are bit difficult to get since most of the brands dont have this size.

OMG, you are the first person I see who getting poor mileage with XM2.

Odometer re-calibration according to the upgraded tire is little difficult/tricky task. Only an expert person can do it accurately. Any idea about how he did?

My stock tire size is 155/80/13 JK and upgraded to 175/70/13 XM2. I never had any noticeable reduction in mileage even thought the upgrade is from 155 to 175.[:D]

I believe your stock tire size is 145/65/13. So there is an increase of 2.5%.
My suggestions are

*Increase the psi of your tires. XM2 are really soft tires. You will get better pose by increasing 2-3psi more than the recommended tire pressure.
*Compare your odometer reading with another car's/bike's odometer for the same distance of drive and see whether it has any difference or not.

Regards.,
as you told kichu i checked by comparing same distance travelled in bike and car,about 0.2 km difference ,thats all.
my wagon r has digital odometer set up ,still it needs recalliberation?
i will enquire with this during next service at my service station .

your rim size 175[surprise], please keep in mind:
Wet weather driving: Wider tyres are at a higher risk of aquaplaning (also called hydroplaning) again due to the wider contact patch. So, if you live in a city with constant rainfall, you might want to avoid wider tyres unless they are specially designed for wet weather driving.
Extra-wide tyres and wheels: These tyres may look cool but will damage the fenders and put extra burden on the suspension and axles, apart from the negatives listed above.
Upsizing is a calculated practice which should be done according to the needs of the car and driving practices more than just aesthetic appeal. One can benefit largely from right upsizing while on the other hand one may end up regretting the same. We hope the above information helps you decide better.
Reduced Fuel Efficiency: Wider tyres with stock OD may reduce fuel efficiency as the car now has extra grip which needs more power to move and more power means more fuel. This will be more evident while driving in stop-and-go traffic where the engine will need more revs to move due to the wider and grippier tyres.

in highways am having no mileage difference actually,it gives 15kmpl as earlier at cruising speeds, my daily drives usually include a 3km stretch in traffic,i think that may also be the reason

as you told kichu i checked by comparing same distance travelled in bike and car,about 0.2 km difference ,thats all.
my wagon r has digital odometer set up ,still it needs recalliberation?
With respect to how many kms you got this difference of 0.2kms?
0.2km cannot be neglected if the total distance you traveled is less than or around 5kms. So mention the kms you traveled for testing the odometer accuracy.

your rim size 175[surprise], please keep in mind:
No where I said that.[sleep]

*Wet weather driving:
Already completed two Rainy seasons successfully without even a single skid because of hydroplaning with this 175/70/R13 XM2[:D] Brought them in Jan 2013. Completed apprx 16000kms after the tire upgrade.
Comparing to my stock tire, this upgrade definitely improved the braking performances in both wet and dry conditions.

These tyres may look cool but will damage the fenders
Who told you this? There is no thumb rule that upgrading the tire will damage the fender. Only a wrong upgrade can cause such issues. My 175/70/R13 never damaged the fender of my car.
Before going for the upgrade, I had enough homeworks.
Yes, my aim was not on the aesthetic appeal. If that is the case, then I had many other options ;) My priority was on better handling and comfort.

Reduced Fuel Efficiency:
Already mentioned in my previous post that I don't have any sign of reduced fuel efficiency due to this upgrade.
Fuel efficiency is not just on the tire size but also about its rubber compound and thread pattern.

If you are not at all aware about your odometer recalibraion done by your mechanic, then can you please share the cost and the time taken for the recalibration?

Regards.,

Wagon R turns off from last 20 days

Dear Members,
I own a wagonR LXI 2009 with CNG fitted in it. From last 15 to 20 days i am running to get the matter resolved, My car turns off while running. At irst I changed the CNG switch and Spark Plugs on advice of an engineer, yet the issue continued. On my third visit to the Garage they changed the connector, installed water circulation through the CNG kit (They said as the kit is not warming even after running 20 kms, its necessary and the problem shall be resolved) changed the complete Kit wiring, even checked the Relay.
But still no progress, today i driven on petrol and seen that the car is still getting off even on petrol,I called the Garage, who advised me to consult an electrician for this.

Please , I need your help and advice.

Re: Wagon R turns off from last 20 days

Dear Members,
I own a wagonR LXI 2009 with CNG fitted in it. From last 15 to 20 days i am running to get the matter resolved, My car turns off while running. At irst I changed the CNG switch and Spark Plugs on advice of an engineer, yet the issue continued. On my third visit to the Garage they changed the connector, installed water circulation through the CNG kit (They said as the kit is not warming even after running 20 kms, its necessary and the problem shall be resolved) changed the complete Kit wiring, even checked the Relay.
But still no progress, today i driven on petrol and seen that the car is still getting off even on petrol,I called the Garage, who advised me to consult an electrician for this.

Please , I need your help and advice.

dear Saurabh,

Mine is a wagon r 2010 ( Blue eyed ) having the same problem. I tried almost all option to clear it. Mine is a petrol model and it like when i am driving the engine gets off when we change the gear. I struggled for almost one year with this problem. Finally i solved the issue with the support of the MASS.

The issue is because of sensors. The power for the sensors come from battery. It happens in such a way that the contact point of the sensor with battery is deposited with impurities and contact is not proper. So whenever there is any voltage high from battery, it cause the sensor to shutdown the engine.
What the service people at MASS do is they cleared the contact of those sensors and [clap][clap] my issue is resolved.
This what happened for my car. i strongly believe the issue may be same. Please share your experience once you solve this problem

Friends,

My New Gen Wagon R VXI 2011 is due for 40k km service.

What needs to be checked/replaced apart form Engine oil.
I think the following list

1. Brake check and brake pad change
2. Caliper greasing.
3. Wheel Alignment and balancing
4. Spark plug change ( all )
5. Wheel bearing check and replace ( if faulty )
6. Replace coolants
7. Wiper change ( if faulty )
8. Water pump and AC fan belt change ( this can also consider in 50K service )
9. Front struts change
10. Gear oil change
11. fuel injector cleaning

Out of this 5,8 and 9 is not mandatory unless if there is a problem because maruthi recommend belt change in 50K service

For my car , the front struts are changed in 30K service and at that time the vehicle is in Warranty. So i have nothing to pay.
Please care about the wheel bearing as lot of people ignore that

I think the following list

1. Brake check and brake pad change
2. Caliper greasing.
3. Wheel Alignment and balancing
4. Spark plug change ( all )
5. Wheel bearing check and replace ( if faulty )
6. Replace coolants
7. Wiper change ( if faulty )
8. Water pump and AC fan belt change ( this can also consider in 50K service )
9. Front struts change
10. Gear oil change
11. fuel injector cleaning

Out of this 5,8 and 9 is not mandatory unless if there is a problem because maruthi recommend belt change in 50K service

For my car , the front struts are changed in 30K service and at that time the vehicle is in Warranty. So i have nothing to pay.
Please care about the wheel bearing as lot of people ignore that
I would like to add just one more point
Engine air filter replacement

Top Bottom