Maruti Suzuki Wagon-R Stingray VXi Ownership Review

Thread Starter #31
Congratulations Prakritij for purchase of Stingray.

For a White Exterior Color, Black Seat Covers suits the best. Since the Interiors are all Black the seats in black too will compliment the White Exterior. You can also look at a combination of Black-Red covers if you like.

What average are you getting currently ?
The exterior colour is grey and the interiors are all black.
Thanks for the suggestion. will look for some black-red combo.
Any other suggestions from you guys?

Currently I am getting average of about 19kmpl as shown in the display.
Yesterday got 19.5kmpl with a very light foot driving(5th gear, 60kmph).

Attachments

Thread Starter #32
Ownership update at 1400kms:

Each passing mile I fall more and more for the Car.

Sometimes I just gaze into her eyes and thank her for lighting up the night so wonderfully.

At times I feel some areas could have been better executed but looking at my landlord's 2007 Waggie (parked right beside mine) I let that thought go.

Here are some highlights from my side...

The "could've been better" bits:
1. Below 1500rpm there is absolutely no grunt and the engine is to be kept above 1500rpm at traffic to keep from stalling. BTW love the engine response and linear power delivery of the Ritz's bigger engine.
2. Door handles could have been pull out type like the Swift/Ritz etc. instead of the current flap type.
3. A/C controls are very outdated. MSIL could have provided a bit modern ones.
4. Rear wiper spray is very dismal. no spray comes out, just a slow stream comes down. Can other Wagon R users please confirm how is the rear wiper spray of their cars?
5. Too much road noise from the otherwise nice Goodyear GT3 tyres.
6. Door pockets, cubby holes are not much usable due to their small sizes. I couldn't even find a proper place to keep a 500ml Fanta bottle.
7. A engine protector below the engine could have been a nice touch(like in the Fiat Linea).
8. Radio antenna too outdated.
9. 15" wheels would have accentuated the looks along with better drivability.
10. 3pot engine tends to get harsh on higher revs.
Maybe I am asking too much at the price point of the car but these things could have been implemented for a better value.

The Good bits:
1. Night drives on the highway are a breeze because of the dual headlamp setup.
2. Braking is decent so is the grip.
3. Nice music system from Nippon with good sound quality as compared to older Wagon Rs.
4. Spacious cabin.
5. Very Nice driving position.
6. Very efficient K10B engine.
7. Boot space is on the low side but the foldable rear seats makes up for it.
8. Tilt steering feature is a good touch.
9. Nice to drive around in the city.
10. Big glasshouse so outside view is good and the cabin is airy inspite of the all black interiors.
11. Alloy design is good.

Dear Wagon R owners please share your views and suggestions as to what you feel about your car and what have you added/done to accessorize.

My few accessories:
1. 12v socket voltmeter.
2. Analogue thermometer and hygrometer just for the looks.
3. Planned: LED bulbs to replace the fog, reverse, pilot and licence plate lights and windshield mobile mount.
4. Jopasu duster and microfiber cloth to keep her clean.
5. Waxpol dashboard polish and silicon car polish.
6. 12v mobile charger.
7. Amway car shampoo.

Thank You
DRIVE SAFE

Thread Starter #33
Re: Some DIYs - Maruti Suzuki Wagon-R Stingray VXi

What better way to start a Morning than by doing some DIYs on your beloved Car...

Got some LEDs from ebay dot in/com to replace OEMs
Links:
1. Parking lights: Projector Lens Light T10 LED Parking Number Plate Bulb for Car Bikes 1 Pair | eBay

2. Registration plate lights: 2 PCSX 28 SMD LED 5050 T10 Socket for All Bike Car Parking Pilot Bulb Light Lamp | eBay

3. Fog lights: Super Bright 7 5W H8 Car Vehicle White Day Driving Fog LED Light Bulb Lamp ES9P | eBay

Yesterday after Office hours Wifey and me went to the local accessories shop to get new seat covers. The guy displayed all the options he had for Wagon R.
Found two of them to be of good design. First one was a black red combo(no red stitching which I would have liked even more) and the second was a black one with grey stitching. The second(brand Microline) one even had some padded area for back support and would have been great for long Drives.
However I opted for the black-red one as it was looking better and was from Topgear.
The boys got down to do their job while I asked the shop owner to fit the LEDs.
He first took out one Registration plate light and fitted the 28smd led but the light cover was not fitting as the light length was more. So he fitted another set that was with him(9smd led).

Seat Covers fitted:
IMG_20140516_085332.jpg
IMG_20140516_085246.jpg

As it was getting late, he asked me to come the next day(i.e., Today) to fit the other lights.
Today Morning got up and made up my mind to do some DIY and fit the lights myself.
Some pics:
Pic 3: OEM bulb and LED bulb
IMG_20140516_084539.jpg
Pic 4: Pull the black rubber cover at the back of the headlight.
IMG_20140516_084915.jpg
Pic 5: At the top is the connector for the high beam bulb and at the bottom is the parking bulb connector.
Pull it out and again pull out the bulb and fit the new LEDs
IMG_20140516_084745.jpg
Pic 6: LED fitted and lit up
IMG_20140516_084610.jpg

Now changing the fog lights:
Pic 7: Remove 4nos plastic clips by using a flatbed screw driver(2nos at the bottom of the bumper)
IMG_20140516_084945.jpg

Pic 8: From the manual.
Pull out the clips and make some gap between the bumper and the black cover.
Pull out the connector as shown in the manual page. Rotate and pull out the bulb. Fit the new bulb and put everything back to place.
Fog.jpg

Pic 9: Parking and Fogs on.
IMG_20140516_085156.jpg

Pic 10: LEDs that went into Registration plate lamps(pic from google).
T10-12smdJPGlogo.jpg

Pic 11: Removed the interior dome light cover in the way shown in the manual.
Untitled.jpg

Pic 12: A similar light with less nos of LEDs(15nos) went into the interior dome light.
SKU014287_1.jpg

I managed to get hold of only one dome light for the front. Yet to source another for the back.

Night pics coming soon.

Thank You friends
DRIVE SAFE

The exterior colour is grey and the interiors are all black.
Thanks for the suggestion. will look for some black-red combo.
Any other suggestions from you guys?

Currently I am getting average of about 19kmpl as shown in the display.
Yesterday got 19.5kmpl with a very light foot driving(5th gear, 60kmph).
Congrats.

Good FE you are getting.

Could you please explain in detail, how you use trip meter(display) to show AVG.:stupid:

I am asking this as I haven't used it till date and would like use it and cross check with FE calculated with Tankful method.

Thread Starter #36
Hi, tankful method is the best way to measure FE in my opinion.
Just push the small stalk on the instrument cluster and it will show different readings such as tripmeters, instantaneous FE, avg FE, DTE, etc.

4. Rear wiper spray is very dismal. no spray comes out, just a slow stream comes down. Can other Wagon R users please confirm how is the rear wiper spray of their cars?

mine is too same issue ..just look at the rear view mirror and ump water so that wiper does not move upto milli seconds .repeat these until Ur wiper filled with some water. then long ump so wiper washes dirt..
waggy tends to be a tall boy.. due to aero dust accumulates as more as other cars due to shape.. but its tolerable![frustration]

i would recommend your first modification is to apply dynamat or dampmat in floors and door panels to totally reduce road noise ;mine too have if ridden in rough Thar roads!

6. Door pockets, cubby holes are not much usable due to their small sizes. I couldn't even find a proper place to keep a 500ml Fanta bottle.

you can keep a bottle beside hand brake lever u see a provision needs to be fliped to keep bottle

7. A engine protector below the engine could have been a nice touch(like in the Fiat Linea).
beware of pot holes or sudden hips in road slope.. waggy bumper tends to scratch more often.. just keep an eye on road..but u can make some sheet metal work below there are many provisions to bolt anything

that is fate cant do anything.. but just close fully and install shark fin antenna

15' will reduce performance.
u notice stingray have 14 ' alloy but 155/65...where its equal to standard wagnor 13' 155/75 ...outer diameter is same.

Thread Starter #38

mine is too same issue ..just look at the rear view mirror and ump water so that wiper does not move upto milli seconds .repeat these until Ur wiper filled with some water. then long ump so wiper washes dirt..
waggy tends to be a tall boy.. due to aero dust accumulates as more as other cars due to shape.. but its tolerable![frustration]

i would recommend your first modification is to apply dynamat or dampmat in floors and door panels to totally reduce road noise ;mine too have if ridden in rough Thar roads!

you can keep a bottle beside hand brake lever u see a provision needs to be fliped to keep bottle

beware of pot holes or sudden hips in road slope.. waggy bumper tends to scratch more often.. just keep an eye on road..but u can make some sheet metal work below there are many provisions to bolt anything

that is fate cant do anything.. but just close fully and install shark fin antenna

15' will reduce performance.
u notice stingray have 14 ' alloy but 155/65...where its equal to standard wagnor 13' 155/75 ...outer diameter is same.
Thank you for the suggestions bro.

Sunday gave her for a wash and decided to polish her once back Home.
Noticed a lot of micro scratched which were not there earlier.
I think the wash boy's cloth/towels had sand which caused the scratches. I felt bad and couldn't do anything about it.[frustration].

Thank You...Stingray looks good in White colour too[:)]

Dropped her for first service Today
Asked them to fit mud flaps as they are not available in any of the accessories shops.
They were pushing me to purchase rain guards, floor mats and something they mentioned as "AC filter" which would keep out dust, pollutants etc from entering the cabin while the AC is on. I think its the pollen filter or something similar(please correct me if I am wrong).
However declined all three as I didn't see any urgent need of them and I have already purchased 3D mats from snapdeal which are yet to arrive.

Here is a pic of Today's job card:
The cabin air filter Rs.350
its already in your car
but needs to be changed every 5000kms.

Hi Prakritij,

Please post interior photos.
I suggest to keep the record of Service details, date, job done, and total cost etc. You may can use this thread for that purpose. It will help later. How is the gear engagement to second gear? Any difficulties?
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...n-r-stingray-ownership-review.html#post387044

Thank you for the suggestions bro.

Sunday gave her for a wash and decided to polish her once back Home.
Noticed a lot of micro scratched which were not there earlier.
I think the wash boy's cloth/towels had sand which caused the scratches. I felt bad and couldn't do anything about it.[frustration].
my sincere suggestion
never wash car outside!!!
else say the guy not to touch car!
just water wash and dry it
never touch paint surface!
i always keep guys,families,friends not touching car. because in waggy outer clear coat is not thicker!!
even don't lyback over car while standing near to it
(i will sound strange but if you need glossy car for years here is the tip!!

buy a car washer!! must have!!
wash dirt off
then wash full body(from top to bottom)
then have a clean water filled with two small dove shampoo packets
mix well in clean hands
submerge the washer inlet to bucket
show the jet of froth coming from jet to body of car
this will remove any minute dirt!!
then within 3mins
wash off with clean water
let it dry'
use tissue paper to clean glasses
that's it!!
no cloth or hand while cleaning!!!
(do in shade or after 5pm)
will be perfect!!

shiny!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #42
leaving the Car without wiping will lead to water marks on the surface. I wipe it off with microfibre cloth.

Top Bottom